PDA

View Full Version : ACRO for duty use?

cop1211
11-04-20, 23:15
My department has recently authorized the use of a rds for our Glocks.

My understand the battery life issue, I wouldn’t have a problem changing the battery every month, I can get 10 batteries for $10.
My question is to anyone that has used both the ACRO, and the RMR and if you can give any insight.
I like that the ACRO has the enclosed emitter, along with no tint. From online videos it appears the ACRO, has a bigger field of view.

Thank you.

GH41
11-05-20, 10:23
If I were a cop I wouldn't want either. If they made me do it I would choose the RMR. The ACRO with it's square faces looks like it would snag stuff more than the MRO. I shot IPSC for many years. My holster to first shot times were the same speed with both limited and open guns on targets inside of 3-5 yards where I really wasn't looking for a sight picture. I think using a gun enough that it becomes part of you is more important than what sights are on it.

Defaultmp3
11-05-20, 11:14
I like my ACRO more than the RMR. The open emitter has burned me before, though it was a fairly specific circumstance (urban prone, RMR, MasterFire holster; filled the optic with sand, which did not clear upon firing due to a bit of sand getting stuck in front of the emitter). Beyond that, the lack of tint I like; while the tint is not an issue in good lighting conditions, IME, it becomes much more problematic when shooting in low light against smaller targets with low contrast, particularly if there are some scratches and/or debris. I found this out at a class while shooting at smaller steel targets at distance, during a rainy day; using the dirty/tinted RDS as just an OEG doesn't really work that well because you now have two different, busy images you're trying to reconcile in your head, rather than simply one image against a black background with a red dot, IME. Lastly, not needing to remove the battery to change it is awesome, for my OCD, as I would always re-zero after a battery change, which entailed spending ammo, time, and gas (though realistically, there was minimal change in POI usually).

Can't say I've ever had it snag on anything.

I change my batteries every 2 weeks, out of an abundance of caution; I have had it go 3 weeks without issue, with the optic being set on the second highest setting; for reference, I changed my RMR batteries every 6 months.

mebiuspower
11-05-20, 11:50
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAdWWuF0X-k

everready73
11-05-20, 12:02
Sage Dynamics has good Youtube vids on these.

I would personally prob wait for the holosun 509T. 50k Battery and from his testing they are GTG

https://holosun.com/index.php/index/product/detail/id/117.html

ETA- Yes it is made in China which sucks. I try to avoid buying Chinese as much as i can. The Holosun is not only cheaper but has a much better battery life. Not sure why they can do it an Aimpoint cant.

Twilk73
11-11-20, 12:23
Sage Dynamics has good Youtube vids on these.

I would personally prob wait for the holosun 509T. 50k Battery and from his testing they are GTG

https://holosun.com/index.php/index/product/detail/id/117.html

ETA- Yes it is made in China which sucks. I try to avoid buying Chinese as much as i can. The Holosun is not only cheaper but has a much better battery life. Not sure why they can do it an Aimpoint cant.

I had on china optics all the time but once in awhile you gotta give credit where is due.

Agreed why can't aimpoint get more battery life.

Also aimpoint released the t1 with a 4 moa dot. 2 moa over took it as the most popular option. Why are pistol optics so popular with such large dots. I prefer smaller did personally. Like a 1 moa rnr.

I can't wait for the gen 2 acro. Good concept, strong concept. Not quite better than an rmr. Hopefully the innovation doesn't stop yet because the rmr could be refined. I'm just a mech who shoots for fun so don't mistake me for a pro.

titsonritz
11-12-20, 00:45
Part 2 of the LAV Torture Test...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYuz29IBDqA

Mrgunsngear
11-15-20, 10:52

My understand the battery life issue, I wouldn’t have a problem changing the battery every month, I can get 10 batteries for $10.
My question is to anyone that has used both the ACRO, and the RMR and if you can give any insight.
I like that the ACRO has the enclosed emitter, along with no tint. From online videos it appears the ACRO, has a bigger field of view.

Thank you.

If you don't mind the battery issue then sure, have at it. That said, a month may be optimistic in my experience.

https://youtu.be/jMsdh_8pbGg

Straight Shooter
11-15-20, 21:12
If you don't mind the battery issue then sure, have at it. That said, a month may be optimistic in my experience.

MrG&G...can you update us on something you said in a Holosun review awhile back..that Mr. Holosun was considering opening two factories here in the USA to make his products? Whats the latest on that?

cop1211
11-16-20, 00:53

I would also be turning off after my 10 hour shift, so I would assume by doing this I could get a month out of one battery.

Coal Dragger
11-17-20, 14:35
I’m getting 3-4 months out a battery turning the sight down at night or when not in use.

The problem I now have is that the battery cap screw slot is easy to strip out. The idiots at Aimpoint made it so basically nothing fits well in the battery cap slot. The Aimpoint tool is plastic and breaks or won’t torque it down, and doesn’t fit for shit. A nickel or dime also don’t work well and will chip away at the edges of the slots. Even my gunsmith screw drivers don’t fit well, and I have to put masking tape on the bit to try to mitigate damage to the aluminum cap. This is unacceptable, and particularly egregious on a sight that needs battery changes in my use every 3 months or so. That means 4 changes per year and a destroyed battery cap.

The cap also has very fine threads that want to cross thread and generally be a pain in the ass.

I’ve also had the sight “turn off” during a match because I was running the slide and I fat fingered the brightness buttons. It needs a lockout option.

At this point the only redeeming features are that it’s otherwise rugged (minus the stupid battery cap), the glass is nice, and the mounting solution is superior.

Overall after a year and a half in service I cannot recommend this optic. Aimpoint gets a D- on this one.

Defaultmp3
11-17-20, 15:19
The plastic Aimpoint tool works okay for me, when using the two windage/elevation adjustment nubs. I have much better luck with the Patriot Products Combat Optic Tool, and using the windage/elevation adjustment nubs on there. I personally don't mind the threading, and have had minimal issues with cross threading. This is from someone that changes the batteries out of 2 ACROs every 2 weeks.

I have never had an issue with the buttons; I run the slide up front the vast majority of the time to begin with.

Pi3
11-17-20, 21:40
if they added the shake awake feature to the Acro, that would solve the short battery life issue for me, especailly on a HD gun that is stationary most of the time.

El Vaquero
11-18-20, 12:37
If I were a cop I wouldn't want either. If they made me do it I would choose the RMR. The ACRO with it's square faces looks like it would snag stuff more than the MRO. I shot IPSC for many years. My holster to first shot times were the same speed with both limited and open guns on targets inside of 3-5 yards where I really wasn't looking for a sight picture. I think using a gun enough that it becomes part of you is more important than what sights are on it.

Agreed
I have limited time with both. I really struggled to get off quick, close, shots off as good as iron sights. With most gunfights occurring at that 3-5 yard range I want quick target acquisition. They do have their merits at 25 yards and out though.

Having said that I don’t doubt at all with time and practice I could get the same results.

But at this stage in my career I have years and thousands of reps with iron sights and I’m at a point where I’m about as good as I’m ever gonna get with them and I don’t feel like retraining myself. That and I work nights and I don’t want to worry about messing around with a brightness setting as I’m trying to shoot some bad guy who’s trying to shoot me.

OP- Have you shot with a red fiber optic front sight? I really like those. They look just like a red dot sight.

mebiuspower
11-18-20, 16:07
The problem I now have is that the battery cap screw slot is easy to strip out. The idiots at Aimpoint made it so basically nothing fits well in the battery cap slot. The Aimpoint tool is plastic and breaks or won’t torque it down, and doesn’t fit for shit. A nickel or dime also don’t work well and will chip away at the edges of the slots. Even my gunsmith screw drivers don’t fit well, and I have to put masking tape on the bit to try to mitigate damage to the aluminum cap. This is unacceptable, and particularly egregious on a sight that needs battery changes in my use every 3 months or so. That means 4 changes per year and a destroyed battery cap.

The cap also has very fine threads that want to cross thread and generally be a pain in the ass.

https://soldiersystems.net/2020/11/18/acrobat-tool-from-suppressortools-com

HardToHandle
11-18-20, 19:57
https://soldiersystems.net/2020/11/18/acrobat-tool-from-suppressortools-com

Saw the same thing today. Almost purchased but balked at $20 doodad and $10 shipping.

yoni
11-19-20, 03:05
I have had this conversation with members or former members with the Armies top anti terror unit, guys that are much better shots than the average cop.

One statement that stuck with me from one of these guys sums it up perfectly. Red dots on pistols is just plain cheating, it is easier to use than irons.

I agree with that 100%, but then let's compare these top shooters with cops. One is a group of shooters and the other isn't. If you don't train with a red dot, then you will never achieve the level of success that you had with irons.

So my take away is are red dots for every police officer and a magic solution. Nope.

Will a red dot if used properly as a training tool, along with the time training actually make you a better pistol shooter. Yes it will.

So for officers willing to train they are a good tool. For older officers that now need reading glasses is it a great tool, providing they are willing to train. Heck yes.

mebiuspower
11-19-20, 04:17
I have had this conversation with members or former members with the Armies top anti terror unit, guys that are much better shots than the average cop.

One statement that stuck with me from one of these guys sums it up perfectly. Red dots on pistols is just plain cheating, it is easier to use than irons.

I agree with that 100%, but then let's compare these top shooters with cops. One is a group of shooters and the other isn't. If you don't train with a red dot, then you will never achieve the level of success that you had with irons.

So my take away is are red dots for every police officer and a magic solution. Nope.

Will a red dot if used properly as a training tool, along with the time training actually make you a better pistol shooter. Yes it will.

So for officers willing to train they are a good tool. For older officers that now need reading glasses is it a great tool, providing they are willing to train. Heck yes.

I agree with everything short of calling it cheating.

Do you have optics on your rifles? That's cheating too then if you don't shoot them with irons.

yoni
11-20-20, 03:02
I was quoting someone on the cheating, I don't think their is cheating in a gun fight. Survive or die is a gun fight, so "cheat" all you need to to survive. I used to extol back shooting.

Coal Dragger
11-20-20, 19:50
As far as effectiveness as a sight, the ACRO does well for its size. No doubt advantageous for speed and accuracy once distances are past 7-10 yards. Shooting groups at 50 yards unsupported standing is a breeze with the ACRO, or other quality RDS. I got to play with an SRO mounted on a CZ Shadow, now that was just about cheating. Huge window, great trigger, and an all steel gun: no recoil, dot never leaves the window, and trigger that makes shooting easy.

I understand the resistance to using an RDS based on most shootings taking place inside of 5 yards, but being equipped and capable of easily being effective far beyond that is not a bad thing either for those willing to put in the work. I know the guys I shot against in Carry Optics division who are more experienced certainly weren’t slowed down on their raw times and were getting enough “A”s to crush most of the dudes shooting limited major power factor on both points and time. They put in the work, and reaped the rewards.

mmbeller191
11-26-20, 19:32
My agency has issued the Acro, the RMR, and the SRO. All are gtg but my favorite is the SRO.

Biggy
11-27-20, 07:15
At this point in time, the only two sights that interests me are the new Sig Romeo 2 or the Holosun
509T. And I’m leaning towards the Sig, as I believe this model is made and assembled in the USA.

JEL458
11-27-20, 07:44
I just recently went through Aimpoint's Pistol Optics training class. They provided use of guns & optics. The sights worked very well and didn't snag on anything. The Aimpoint reps eluded to the battery life issue being a moot point in the very near future.

I personally own RMRs, SROs and Holosuns. My agency uses RMRs, SROs, DPPs, Romeo 1 Pros, Holosuns and ACROs. So far all have worked just fine. I personally think that having to change your battery every month is unacceptable, but if that doesn't bother you, the ACRO is an otherwise good sight. You do need to be careful with the battery cap because it is easily cross threaded.

I haven't measured the window, but the ACRO appears to my eyes to have a larger FOV. I have been using an RMR primarily for the past 5 years and have only been testing an ACRO for the past few months.

As far as the advantages over iron sights go, we looked at some numbers that were put out a few months back. I am doing this from memory, so don't flame me if I get it wrong. A study of the CONUS LE shootings they could find showed an accuracy rate of upwards of 50%. If you took out one shooting, with a higher than average number of rounds and misses, the accuracy rate was at 70%. That is significant when you think that CONUS LE accuracy rates are generally in the 15-25% rate.

Another huge advantage is the target focus. I can only imagine that the number of "mistaken" shootings, i.e. cell phone in the hands vs. gun will go down since you will be staring at the target vs. the front sight.

Those were some of the reasons for our decisions.

Thank you.

SeriousStudent
11-27-20, 08:13
I have no inside info, but I would be willing to bet a firmware update solves the battery issue.

cop1211 - the Denton Texas Police Department firearms training unit has been running ACRO's since they were introduced. I did a class with two of their guys a year ago. I bet if you sent them a request on agency letterhead, or reached out through an agency email, they would be happy to chat with you. Very nice guys, and they were great shooters and teachers.

GSPatton
11-27-20, 14:09
I think ppl may be spoiled by the insane battery life of other Aimpoint sights. Comparatively the ACRO is way less (not sure the technical reasons why), but it's still not bad compared to many optics that have seen duty use (both issued and individual purchase).

cop1211
11-30-20, 11:07
Ive decided to go with the Trijicon SRO.

contax_shooter
11-30-20, 18:59
For duty use, I'd only use an ACRO if my job bought it and funds the 24 batteries per year required to keep it powered.

WickedWillis
12-01-20, 11:38
Ive decided to go with the Trijicon SRO.

Check out the Jagerworks cover plate, I personally think it will be the accessory that brings the SRO to "duty-grade" toughness

https://jagerwerks.com/pre-order-b-r-o-s-lead-time-4-6-weeks/

cop1211
12-01-20, 16:19
Check out the Jagerworks cover plate, I personally think it will be the accessory that brings the SRO to "duty-grade" toughness

I saw that, I reached out to Jagerwerks asking if it would fit a Safariland duty holster and they said not without modifications, I have to purchase my own duty holster, so a little dremeling might do the trick.

Coal Dragger
12-01-20, 22:13
That looks like a nice simple and effective solution to keeping an SRO alive and ticking under hard use.

titsonritz
12-01-20, 23:29

That's pretty cool, thanks for sharing.

okie
12-02-20, 01:19
I don't have any experience with either of those specific optics, but I do have extensive experience with other optics from both of those manufacturers, and have had dealings with both customer service departments. All I can say is Aimpoint is just on a whole different level. They're actually an incredible value when you fully consider what you're getting.

Mrgunsngear
12-06-20, 20:44
MrG&G...can you update us on something you said in a Holosun review awhile back..that Mr. Holosun was considering opening two factories here in the USA to make his products? Whats the latest on that?

No idea; sorry