PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Made With Truck Bed - SEMA

AndyLate
11-05-20, 06:28
Browsing through non-political news, I found this jewel. I don't know if I am more shocked Toyota built a trailer from the back half of a Tacoma and took it to SEMA, or that people seem to think it's new and interesting.

https://www.foxnews.com/auto/toyota-tacoma-trailer-bed

I could not tell you how many truck bed trailers I saw growing up in the Midwest, but I can tell you they generally made poor trailers. The axle location is too far forward, making the trailer unstable.

Andy

GH41
11-05-20, 07:17
Saw a million homemade ones down south also but you rarely saw them on the road. The Toyota trailer looks like it would balance well. Notice the platform ahead of the bed?

Averageman
11-05-20, 07:57
Too cool.
Looks like it balances well.

AndyLate
11-05-20, 08:07
If you put enough weight ahead of the axle it will pull ok. If you load the trailer evenly, the front will be too light. The platform is a bandaid.

I guess my real point is that it's a pretty low cost, low effort display for Toyota to bring to SEMA.

Andy

jsbhike
11-05-20, 15:26
I guess I was close to 10 years old by the time I noticed the trailer with "Dodge" stamped in the tailgate one of my Grandpas had, and could recall as far back as anything, sure did look a lot like a pickup truck bed one day and then the light came on.

GH41
11-05-20, 15:53
If you put enough weight ahead of the axle it will pull ok. If you load the trailer evenly, the front will be too light. The platform is a bandaid.

I guess my real point is that it's a pretty low cost, low effort display for Toyota to bring to SEMA.

Andy

Looks like they used a production truck bed. The tongue has to be long enough to turn and back the trailer. The platform is nothing more than an effort to utilize space on the tongue. The bed is pretty much square. It's not like a boat that is pointed at the bow. The 6' bed on my Tacoma probably overhangs the axle 6-8" further in the back than the front. If the tongue with platform weighs as much as the extra bed behind the axle everything works if it is evenly loaded. Another thing.... We don't know the rated capacity. For all we know it may only be 5-600#. These things will be bought by campers not contractors wanting to haul dirt.