PDA

View Full Version : AR mags in the current environment

Slater
11-07-20, 12:11
Just got back from the local Sportsman's Warehouse. In the mag section, P-Mags from top to bottom along with smaller amounts of Amend2, Mission First Tactical Gen 2, and even a few Lancers.

It's curious that there hasn't seemed to have been a run on mags (at least in my area, anyway). Online sites appear to be reasonably well stocked also. Ammo is a different story of course.

Wonder why the disparity?

maximus83
11-07-20, 12:21
Fudds and first-time inexperienced AR buyers don't buy tons of mags, in my observation. And people who've been at it for a while, like most here, are already stocked with a lifetime supply.

kirkland
11-07-20, 12:36
I think they produced so many mags in the years since the last panic, that there's just a massive plethora of them on the market. I had enough mags to last me a lifetime before they were all lost in an unfortunate boating accident along with all my guns and ammo.

REDinFL
11-07-20, 13:51
If the biden win materializes, possibly we'll see major sales on the online sites. he and suckstartaHarley have promised to shut down mail order guns, parts/accessories and ammo. They'll have to get rid of it, because local sales won't pay the floor cost. Between any serious declaration - not just the msm show - and, say, FEB 1st, it'll have to go.

OH58D
11-07-20, 14:31
Why not buy some for the upcoming underground Black Market in gun related items? There surely will be a brisk business in bartering items (mags for ammo, parts, etc.). Just like the Prohibition years, Capitalism and a Free Market in hard to obtain products is a good thing.

Coal Dragger
11-07-20, 16:08
Yep, will be buying PMags on the regular for cash for the foreseeable future.

I have more than enough for me, but capitalism (legal or otherwise) is a wonderful thing.

Sam
11-07-20, 16:18
The third wave of gun buying has started.

In March it was the chicom flu that set everything off. For a couple of months store shelves were at least 2/3 empty. Then the end of May came and the race riots cleaned out what was left.

I've noticed the shelves were slowly returning in October and even the ammo.

Today I got bored and drove to the biggest gun store in the state. It looked like black Friday at Walmart. People were stacked up and filling out the 4473 for handguns, shotguns and ARs. They were not handling them or asking question. They just bought whatever was there.

Slater
11-07-20, 16:28
The Biden Effect?

Jellybean
11-07-20, 16:45
Just got back from the local Sportsman's Warehouse. In the mag section, P-Mags from top to bottom along with smaller amounts of Amend2, Mission First Tactical Gen 2, and even a few Lancers.

It's curious that there hasn't seemed to have been a run on mags (at least in my area, anyway). Online sites appear to be reasonably well stocked also. Ammo is a different story of course.

Wonder why the disparity?

Just the calm before the storm.
Now that they've announced a Biden win... give it two months. I'm guessing it will be pretty well cleaned out.

duece71
11-07-20, 19:32
Once the next mass shooting occurs, once the all out ban happens.....

TomMcC
11-07-20, 19:42
I wonder when gun and ammo manufacturing will go underground?

Yoni, how's it going on that IWI ammo import?

TheAlsatian
11-08-20, 06:01
I do remember after the first AWB, AR mags were plentiful...expensive but easy to find. I suspect the same will be true here even without legislative action, at least for a few years.

Steve Shannon
11-08-20, 10:15
Before this, P-mags were $7. I saw an advertisement for a bundle of 100 last week for $900. So, the prices have gone up some as have the prices on everything else; there’s nothing surprising about that.
Nothing will happen about firearms legislatively over the next 74 days.
Then, the next administration will take over. The way things look right now they probably won’t be able to pass legislation banning high capacity magazines or military style rifles. They just don’t have the votes. But until that is proven to be the case, anxieties will drive the pricing of magazines, firearms, and ammunition higher. Of course, during that time the companies will have been producing at higher levels to meet the demand and to help their dealers make money in this time of higher retail pricing.
Buying magazines now could be the best opportunity you get for awhile.
There’s very little that can be done either by the ATF or the Executive branch, using executive orders, that cannot be legally challenged. Certainly not magazine capacity limits. Possibly braces that can be “repurposed as stocks” could be threatened. I suspect binary triggers are very vulnerable. But standard military style rifles (or Modern Sporting Rifles) cannot be prohibited by executive order.
Then, just like during President Obama’s term, it may become obvious that they will not be successful in taking our firearms. If that happens we all heave a sigh of relief and the prices go down. That’s when I will buy more ammunition.
Or, they may have some success in legislating a new AWB (I truly don’t believe that will happen). The conditions that could lead them to be successful in that would include any kind of large scale criminal or terrorist action that finally tips the public over their fear of the ugly black weapons they only see misused in the news.

The worst possible thing for gun owners would be if a small group of zealots decide that it’s time to strike against the government. In that case, even the remaining republicans may decide “it’s time to do something.”
What we can do to help our cause is to buy more of these weapons and publicize them in ways that are not intimidating to the general public. Ideally that means being used peacefully in competitions, hunting, and heroically in tv shows and movies.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk