PDA

View Full Version : Looking for some legitimate input on an AR Pistol purchase

scubacuba
11-10-20, 14:12
I know this will all be relative but I would like some honestly reasonable input from those of you who actually OWN one of the pistols below as I’m in the market to purchase one.

Geissele Super Duty 5.56 10.3” Pistol

or

LWRC M6IC DI 5.56 10.5” Pistol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MountainRaven
11-10-20, 20:01
Why 10.3/10.5"?

ABNAK
11-10-20, 20:18
Neither is a cheap (as in inexpensive) weapon. Unless you plan on SBR-ing it or just don't give a shit, I have a gut feeling braces are going to be a thing of the past before too long. That would be a lot of $$$ to drop for a questionable future. Also, 11.5" has been shown to be superior to a 10.5" AR barrel length.

For those who will give me shit on the bolded part: Buy what you want, it's 'Murica! I think at some point you'll either have to SBR it to be on the "up and up" or ignore it and then might as well slap a stock on it if braces are deemed by the Reichstag at ATF to be verboten. Your call.

turnburglar
11-10-20, 20:35
Geissele vs LWRC???

That's a no brainer.

scubacuba
11-10-20, 21:56
Why 10.3/10.5"?

Honestly, because I haven’t been able to find a Geissele 11.5 and these two were the next best options in my opinion. Heck, if I could find a SOLGW in 11.5, I’d buy that before either of those two but that’s unobtainium as well.

bulldozer3
11-10-20, 23:25
Honestly, because I haven’t been able to find a Geissele 11.5 and these two were the next best options in my opinion. Heck, if I could find a SOLGW in 11.5, I’d buy that before either of those two but that’s unobtainium as well.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkOn FB, the solgw owners group post in stock notifications regularly, just gotta be fast

https://www.facebook.com/groups/2408401579391693/?ref=share

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

scubacuba
11-10-20, 23:29
On FB, the solgw owners group post in stock notifications regularly, just gotta be fast

https://www.facebook.com/groups/2408401579391693/?ref=share

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

Thanks!

omegajb
11-11-20, 06:46
Neither is a cheap (as in inexpensive) weapon. Unless you plan on SBR-ing it or just don't give a shit, I have a gut feeling braces are going to be a thing of the past before too long. That would be a lot of $$$ to drop for a questionable future. Also, 11.5" has been shown to be superior to a 10.5" AR barrel length.

For those who will give me shit on the bolded part: Buy what you want, it's 'Murica! I think at some point you'll either have to SBR it to be on the "up and up" or ignore it and then might as well slap a stock on it if braces are deemed by the Reichstag at ATF to be verboten. Your call.If the election results hold with Biden, I'm afraid you're right. As we've seen with the honey badger the ATF is a ruling away from banning the use of braces.

Unfortunately, Trump set the precedent with the bump stock executive order.

https://www.ammoland.com/2020/11/atf-working-biden-transition-team-ban-pistol-braces/#axzz6dUQTzocS

What would be interesting is how a new Supreme Court would rule on this since their are millions of SB Tactical braces and the threshold for common use is 200k.
Sent from my SM-T860 using Tapatalk

Korgs130
11-11-20, 08:56
OP,

I have a BCM 11.5 SBR and a Geissele URGI 10.3” pistol. I know they are not exactly what your asking about, but from my experience I like think 11.5 is better, but not enough for me to say adios to 10.3”. I went with the 10.3” w/ a Law folder so I could get the gun to fit in a backpack for CCW as a truck gun. Things being what they are, I’d grab whichever you can find in stock at a reasonable price.

What would be interesting is how a new Supreme Court would rule on this since their are millions of SB Tactical braces and the threshold for common use is 200k.

Do you have a reference for the common use threshold of 200k? Just looking educate myself on the topic.

themonk
11-11-20, 09:10
Having had a 10.3", 11.5", and a 12.5 I rarely used the 10.3 and recently just sold it. 12.5" IMO is the best do all but I use my 11.5 as HD gun as its my oldest SBR and has been through some shit.

I would prefer the Geissele Super Duty to the LWRC. But BCM makes a great 11.5 upper (although not very accurate). DD now makes one along with centurion and Sionics. All solid - bet your life on them uppers.

You could also grab parts and build the gun. If your not thrilled by that, talk to someone like Steve at Citizen Arms and he will make you an outstanding pistol at an affordable price.

omegajb
11-11-20, 09:42
OP,

I have a BCM 11.5 SBR and a Geissele URGI 10.3” pistol. I know they are not exactly what your asking about, but from my experience I like think 11.5 is better, but not enough for me to say adios to 10.3”. I went with the 10.3” w/ a Law folder so I could get the gun to fit in a backpack for CCW as a truck gun. Things being what they are, I’d grab whichever you can find in stock at a reasonable price.

Do you have a reference for the common use threshold of 200k? Just looking educate myself on the topic.In Heller the Supreme Court ruled that firearms in common lawful use is protected. They didn't say what constitutes as common use, but in Caetano v Massachusetts they ruled the threshold was 200,000 of that item.

Whether or not it translates to accessories like braces is yet to be seen. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20201111/83901f42da5d700de3d45cd10301264f.jpg

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Wake27
11-11-20, 10:06
I know this will all be relative but I would like some honestly reasonable input from those of you who actually OWN one of the pistols below as I’m in the market to purchase one.

Geissele Super Duty 5.56 10.3” Pistol

or

LWRC M6IC DI 5.56 10.5” Pistol

Input on what? This is way too general of a question to get any type of decent answer from.

For those who will give me shit on the bolded part: Buy what you want, it's 'Murica! I think at some point you'll either have to SBR it to be on the "up and up" or ignore it and then might as well slap a stock on it if braces are deemed by the Reichstag at ATF to be verboten. Your call.

Superior according to what? In some ways it probably is, in others, it is not.

If the election results hold with Biden, I'm afraid you're right. As we've seen with the honey badger the ATF is a ruling away from banning the use of braces.

Unfortunately, Trump set the precedent with the bump stock executive order.

https://www.ammoland.com/2020/11/atf-working-biden-transition-team-ban-pistol-braces/#axzz6dUQTzocS

Sent from my SM-T860 using Tapatalk

That precedent was not set by trump, gun control through EO was well established by the time he did that.

Having had a 10.3", 11.5", and a 12.5 I rarely used the 10.3 and recently just sold it. 12.5" IMO is the best do all but I use my 11.5 as HD gun as its my oldest SBR and has been through some shit.

I would prefer the Geissele Super Duty to the LWRC. But BCM makes a great 11.5 upper (although not very accurate). DD now makes one along with centurion and Sionics. All solid - bet your life on them uppers.

You could also grab parts and build the gun. If your not thrilled by that, talk to someone like Steve at Citizen Arms and he will make you an outstanding pistol at an affordable price.

Not very accurate? Really? Can you at least quantify that some?

omegajb
11-11-20, 11:54
Input on what? This is way too general of a question to get any type of decent answer from.

Superior according to what? In some ways it probably is, in others, it is not.

That precedent was not set by trump, gun control through EO was well established by the time he did that.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkTrump has a piece of plastic classified as a machine gun part, without congress it became a law. Many gun owners said "well its just bump stocks" "they are gimmicks".
A law that was upheld by the courts.

They are 100% going to have the ATF reclassify braces as a SBR's if you live in a state that bans them, you're SOL and a criminal by executive order.

themonk
11-11-20, 12:01

You're on a roll Wake.

My BCM was 3 MOA. Replaced the barrel with a DD and now it shoots 1-1.5 MOA.

Korgs130
11-11-20, 20:05
In Heller the Supreme Court ruled that firearms in common lawful use is protected. They didn't say what constitutes as common use, but in Caetano v Massachusetts they ruled the threshold was 200,000 of that item.

Whether or not it translates to accessories like braces is yet to be seen.

Caetano v Massachusetts. Roger that, thanks.

t1tan
11-11-20, 20:20

This is the way

AO777
11-11-20, 20:40
I’d avoid a pistol right now, I would for for a full length 16in rifle just to avoid the headache down the road. But I’d go with a Geissele if you have to pick between the two pistols.

Wake27
11-11-20, 21:25
Trump has a piece of plastic classified as a machine gun part, without congress it became a law. Many gun owners said "well its just bump stocks" "they are gimmicks".
A law that was upheld by the courts.

They are 100% going to have the ATF reclassify braces as a SBR's if you live in a state that bans them, you're SOL and a criminal by executive order.

Sure, but your post indicated that was the first time gun control was enacted by EO and it wasn’t.

You're on a roll Wake.

My BCM was 3 MOA. Replaced the barrel with a DD and now it shoots 1-1.5 MOA.

With match grade ammo? That’s shitty but not inaccurate by the only real standard that’s out there.

themonk
11-12-20, 05:23
With match grade ammo? That’s shitty but not inaccurate by the only real standard that’s out there.

Yes with match grade ammo. It's shitty enough to swap the barrel to a DD and cut the accuracy in half.

jesuvuah
11-12-20, 06:05
Yes with match grade ammo. It's shitty enough to swap the barrel to a DD and cut the accuracy in half.My bcm shoots 1.5 moa with match ammo.

Sent from my LM-Q720 using Tapatalk

jsbhike
11-12-20, 06:26

Which EO retroactively banned ownership of what had been an "ok'd" firearm part?

sproc
11-12-20, 15:22
Which EO retroactively banned ownership of what had been an "ok'd" firearm part?

https://www.atf.gov/rules-and-regulations/bump-stocks

Edit: Or do you mean before this one?

jsbhike
11-12-20, 15:42
https://www.atf.gov/rules-and-regulations/bump-stocks

Edit: Or do you mean before this one?Before that one since the claim was the bump stock ban didn't set a precedent.

Sent from my LM-X410.FGN using Tapatalk

maximus83
11-12-20, 15:49

This is the best concise advice I've seen on AR pistols right now.

maximus83
11-12-20, 15:50
As a middle ground, consider getting a Geissele PW 14.5".

https://www.primaryarms.com/geissele-automatics-super-duty-rifle-ddc-14.5-pinned-08-187s

t1tan
11-12-20, 16:08
The defeatist worrying mentality of "don't buy X in case of Y" and willingly planning to comply is pathetic.

maximus83
11-12-20, 16:16
The defeatist worrying mentality of "don't buy X in case of Y" and willingly planning to comply is pathetic.

No it isn't. First, it's not defeatist, I'm not conceding Trump lost anything, I'm in the fight, involved, giving $$$ to his legal defense and other campaigns, and involved at my state level. Nobody's conceding s$#t.

But that said, ATF will continue to be rogue, with or without him. The existing brace loophole is tenuous at best, they can revoke it in a heartbeat no matter who's Pres, and they probably will.

Besides....the difference between 12.5" and 14.5" is trivial, the only real diff is slightly better ballistics in 14.5."

It's rational to plan ahead and avoid legal headaches that are almost certainly coming.

everready73
11-12-20, 19:17
The super duty pistols are up to like $2000 now at brownells. I wouldn't pay that for a pretty much unproven brand (as far as rifles are concerned)

If you are spending in that range KAC isn't far away and others like lmt, Sionics, bcm, SOLGW are less.

I understand why pistols appeal to some over sbr , mainly if traveling out of state or here in PA where you can have loaded in a vehicle.

chamber143
11-13-20, 20:06
I have a few sbr’s myself and a pistol but i am beginning to come to the point of view that Americans should just simply say f you and not do all this bullshit that goes along with the NFA. I mean the leftist antifa folks dont follow any rules and get away with freaking murder and we debate the mundane arbitrary rules that some agency who has no legislative powers puts forth. I am all for following rules and have up until this point but i have about had it and about to say **** it