PDA

View Full Version : ComDems war on energy begins

flenna
11-13-20, 16:08
Looks like they are starting early and it will only get worse from here. I look for Obama-era gas prices in the next couple of years if not sooner. Which will hammer all us working guys and drive the SUV/Pickup Truck centric auto industry into the dirt.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/michigan-governor-seeks-shutdown-of-great-lakes-oil-pipeline

SomeOtherGuy
11-13-20, 16:40
OK, I'm local and your headline isn't quite on point. This isn't a new legal push and it would keep going under Trump's second term as well.

This is a major oil pipeline that goes through some really awesome pristine areas, and was put in place when there were few environmental protections. Most of the oil that goes through it comes FROM Canada and goes back TO Canada in Sarnia, Ontario. It's owned by Enbridge, a firm with a fairly bad environmental record, including Michigan's worst oil spill ever from a different pipeline of theirs. The State of Michigan and its residents get only two benefits from this pipeline - some tax $$, and a cheap supply of propane for the UP, which affects me personally.

The area of most concern is the Mackinaw Strait crossing, which is a hugely important tourist area and any oil spill there could contaminate two of the Great Lakes. The current pipeline is basically exposed on the lakebed and it's a bad situation.

The prior Governor and AG, very moderate Republicans, entered into an agreement with Enbridge to put this pipeline inside a tunnel under the Mackinaw Straits, which would reduce the spill risk from severe to really tiny. A totally reasonable plan that Enbridge is OK with. But our far-left new Gov and AG reject this, and just want to put it out of business, for a variety of dumb reasons.

We absolutely need to do SOMETHING about the current pipeline. It's just that the leftists inhabiting certain offices in Lansing are unreasonable. I predict that their actions will stick this in court for several years, making the environmental risk far higher than if they just honored the existing agreement for a tunnel.

Allen
11-13-20, 17:06
The issue with the left is they forget the alternative: Single wall oil tanker cars on trains derailing. SomeOtherGuy 's perspective is pretty balanced. Have pipelines, inspect the shit out of them, and maintain them regularly.
Al

kerplode
11-13-20, 17:12
The left's alternative to pipelines isn't single wall oil tanker cars...It's wind and solar and rainbows and unicorns.

jpmuscle
11-13-20, 17:17
Arguing the efficacy of pipelines is just silly. Doing everything you can to minimize impact on the local ecosystem is perfectly reasonable IMO, but outright dismissing the usage of such means to move product is just dumb.

On a larger level though the hypocrisy of this issue always floors me.

The only legitimate clean alternative to fossil fuels is nuclear, period end of story. But mention nuclear energy and the libs go Chernobyl all on their own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kerplode
11-13-20, 17:26
Arguing the efficacy of pipelines is just silly. Doing everything you can to minimize impact on the local ecosystem is perfectly reasonable IMO, but outright dismissing the usage of such means to move product is just dumb.

On a larger level though the hypocrisy of this issue always floors me.

The only legitimate clean alternative to fossil fuels is nuclear, period end of story. But mention nuclear energy and the libs go Chernobyl all on their own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
#truth

jesuvuah
11-13-20, 18:36
I am very familiar with the situation as live in the northern lower peninsula. From my understanding they are still going ahead with a new pipeline in the bedrock. The fight (and it's been going on for a while) is if it should be shut down until the new one is built.

That being said whitmer and her AG could both drop dead and I wouldnt shed a tear.

Sent from my LM-Q720 using Tapatalk

utahjeepr
11-14-20, 11:59
I read about this the other day. If I had to guess, the left will hit the low hanging fruit of the vulnerable pipeline, use that and other avenues to attack the ability to pay for the new pipeline, and then fight the construction of the new safer pipeline once this one is dead.

It's their standard playbook, step 1.

Kind of like how wind and solar are good now, but the production of solar panels is too "dirty" to be allowed CONUS, same with the wind generation components.

Even "green energy" will eventually become a boogeyman.

It ain't about the environment, it's about enslaving the world.

SomeOtherGuy
11-14-20, 12:46
More about it here if interested (this site leans left, like 98% of "journalism" sites):

https://www.mlive.com/public-interest/2020/11/line-5-shutdown-order-creates-a-scenario-for-stopping-enbridge-tunnel.html

Literally no one is opposed to better pipeline safety. As others have said, the current Marxists calling themselves Democrats are just waging war on the normal energy industry. The masses who vote "D" are lead to believe that rainbow-farting unicorns can power the future. The actual D leaders are aware this won't work, but will happily exploit the claim so they can impoverish everyone and gain power that way.

Michigan went from 8 years of moderate R management - a bit too moderate, but hard for anyone to really fault - to some radical crazies right out of Kalifornia since the 2018 pot election.