PDA

View Full Version : COVID and Military

FromMyColdDeadHand
11-16-20, 12:58
Not looking for inside info, but after all the hub-ub about the carrier and PAC fleet issues early on, I've heard very little about the COVID impact on the military. Is there any public info on it? Considering what we know now, it would seem that out side some old chiefs and officers, the Navy shouldn't have that much of an issue. Like a college campus level of issues.

Just seems odd that it was kind of a big issue, and then zip- I haven't heard anything.

pinzgauer
11-16-20, 14:40
Based on what I see second-hand through my active duty officer son and also friends of mine, the Army is all over it.

Extensive testing. Detailed quarantine and operational plans, etc.

At this point my son has had the swab up the nose testing probably a dozen times and will have it several more times in the next three or four months. (He's been OCONUS all but a few months for the last few years)

They are working around it to minimize risk of outbreaks, but the mission goes on.

This includes schools, etc. A friend's son is in Ranger School right now. (Presumably going to be a winter ranger like my son was when he went through)

They have policies to deal with quarantine on inbound, yes there is personal impact to the soldiers.

Wake27
11-16-20, 15:08
They are working around it to minimize risk of outbreaks, but the mission goes on.

Can't speak for the Navy, but this is completely accurate for what I can see of the Army. Its a giant pain in the ass that makes everything far more difficult, but we're trying to strike a balance.

TheChunkNorris
11-16-20, 15:18
I’m a defense contractor and I’m currently working on ships. I just got off deployment in which we were confined to the ship my entire 7 months. Pre deployment is what you’d expect, masks are required in certain land sites and ships will not allow leave... no port calls. Logistics for land sites is a total nightmare. My next maritime deployment will require 3 tests before getting on the ship and once we’re on... you’re on until the ship heads back to port after mission.

FromMyColdDeadHand
11-16-20, 17:46
Intersting. I wish that they would have more studies and reports done since they have better controls than you would on civilian studies.

TheChunkNorris
11-16-20, 18:37
Intersting. I wish that they would have more studies and reports done since they have better controls than you would on civilian studies.

The problem are the deployment windows. No one cares about civilians so we get extended but military personnel need to be in certain places at certain times.

Grand58742
11-16-20, 18:38
Well, we use military support groups for our staffing and they just cancelled on me because of "wing guidance" on COVID.

ryanm
11-16-20, 21:55
After the Roosevelt debacle a whole lot changed really fast. I normally travel 90% supporting DoD and I have to be tested almost weekly at this point including carrying proof of negative PCR test. Some commands only accept the PCR if it was administered by the state vs private health care. Once vaccinated I’m sure I will need to carry my little yellow WHO card with me as well.