PDA

View Full Version : Colt warranty on uppers

Androctonus
11-17-20, 16:02
Hey guys. Has anyone contacted Colt about warranty on uppers? I recently got a new complete upper with a canted FSB. I called Colt and they told me they don't warranty parts, only firearms. I was surprised. The upper zeros, but the rear sight is pretty far over to the left. It's not hard to see the cant in the FSB.

omegajb
11-17-20, 17:27
This is a fixed A2 front sight, correct?

They absolutely should cover it under warranty as long as they built the upper.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

TMS951
11-17-20, 17:31
Can you return to where ever you bought if it’s new?

Androctonus
11-17-20, 17:40
Yes, it has an A2 front post. It’s a 6933 Commando upper that was in the Colt packaging. I don’t know about returning it to the Gunbroker retailer. I mounted a Troy rear sight and have fired the upper. Colt told me to contact the seller to resolve the issue. Maybe I talked to the wrong person in the Colt service department.

omegajb
11-17-20, 17:44
Unfortunately, there aren't a lot of the right people at Colt, which explains why they are in the position they are in.

Maybe reach out to Chris at Small Arms Solutions and see if he can suggest how you get to somebody who cares about customer service.

Androctonus
11-17-20, 20:11
Unfortunately, there aren't a lot of the right people at Colt, which explains why they are in the position they are in.

Maybe reach out to Chris at Small Arms Solutions and see if he can suggest how you get to somebody who cares about customer service.

Thanks. I'll contact Chris and maybe try calling Colt again on a different day.

El Vaquero
11-17-20, 21:37
If you get no luck from Colt I think I read somewhere John at Retro Arms can fix canted sight blocks. I also have an upper with a canted sight block with the windage drifted all the way over as well. It bugs me to this day. It’s a 4th string upper on my roster so it rides the bench.

Mr McSimon
11-17-20, 21:41
A canted FSB would drive me nuts, zeroed or not, unless it's on a WASR. If it were me and I couldn't get a replacement from Colt I'd have to shave that puppy and free float the handguards.

Androctonus
11-17-20, 21:56
The canted FSB drives me a bit nuts too. It's not a WASR or a PSA. I've heard PSA replaces uppers for this. Colt told me to pound sand. I actually got this upper to be my only one with an FSB. I missed the old school look.

trauma
11-17-20, 23:00
I've given up on FSB, received too many canted ones. Was going to buy one from Brownells but I passed cause I just knew canted would be coming my way. Brownells would eat this problem with a grin though, Colt sucks now.

Buncheong
11-21-20, 16:29
This is very discouraging to hear. :(

CLee0509
11-21-20, 22:33
Can't believe they handled it like this. My first AR in 2005 was a Bushmaster A2 rifle. I remember well because I sighted it in Superbowl Sunday and it zeroed but the rear sight was way out, only a few clicks from stopping. Anyway I called them Monday morning, I shipped the upper back to Maine that same morning. I was surprised to find it back in my hands Friday evening! (I'm in Oregon btw) I don't know what they did, but it came back with the A2 in the very center and I didn't touch windage after re-zeroing it. It was one of the most accurate barrels I had owned to this day.

Glock9mm1990
11-23-20, 14:32
Next time BCM gets one of their FSB uppers in stock, get it one of those. Never seen a canted FSB from them, and they would certainly take of you of you did.

TacticalTyler
01-18-21, 14:43
Reviving this thread from the grave, found it in a search. I bought a colt 6933 barrel and finally got around to putting it together. With that said , FSB is canted. One of the worst I’ve seen, so much so that it almost blocks my laser on my atpial. That said, I’ve had a BCM upper that had a canted FSB.

the AR-15 Junkie
01-18-21, 19:07
Thats disappointing to read as I have never seen a Colt with a canted front sight block. All mine are spot on.

https://i.imgur.com/Y5RAX7p.png

Renegade
01-18-21, 19:47
Well I have a 6933 coming in this week. We will see.

omegajb
01-19-21, 05:48
I've never taken a sight block off, is the barrel notched for the pins?
If it is and it's not notched properly would that cause the FSB to cant?

TacticalTyler
01-19-21, 06:35
I've never taken a sight block off, is the barrel notched for the pins?
If it is and it's not notched properly would that cause the FSB to cant?

It’s just poor QC from the factory. Also I uninstalled my barrel on a different receiver just in case and I still have cant. I’m not over torquing , because my cant is actually to the right..... holes for the FSB pins are drilled in a angle. I imagine because it was a rush. Idk , I’m a colt fan boy lol. So this isn’t me bashing , just a little frustrated.

matemike
01-19-21, 07:03
A canted FSB can be more problematic than just the windage adjustment.

Is the gas port aligned properly? Does it function?

Is the gas tube in a bind? Does it have a good seal? Is it going to cause wear in the upper or the gas key? Is the tube itself going to get more wear inside the FSB gas block because it is not seated straight in position?

I suggest to NOT cut it off just to hide the issue. Get it fixed by any means possible.

Bret
01-19-21, 08:26
It’s just poor QC from the factory.
It's poor manufacturing coupled with a lack of QC. They should be able to set up a fixture so that a blind person could literally assemble it correctly.

T2C
01-19-21, 09:25
Hey guys. Has anyone contacted Colt about warranty on uppers? I recently got a new complete upper with a canted FSB. I called Colt and they told me they don't warranty parts, only firearms. I was surprised. The upper zeros, but the rear sight is pretty far over to the left. It's not hard to see the cant in the FSB.

How many clicks left windage did you have to put on your rear sight to zero the windage?

01-19-21, 09:50
I only have Colt uppers because over the years I’ve found them to be the most consistent about the irons zeroing closest to center.

When one is off a few clicks to the left it van usually be resolved by disassembling and properly reassembling the upper.

I would skip Colt because their customer service is known to be poor and extremely slow.

John Thomas at Retro Arms would be my first choice for a fix. Ken Elmore at Specialized Armament can fix it too but my be as slow as Colt.

TacticalTyler
01-19-21, 11:40
A canted FSB can be more problematic than just the windage adjustment.

Is the gas port aligned properly? Does it function?

Is the gas tube in a bind? Does it have a good seal? Is it going to cause wear in the upper or the gas key? Is the tube itself going to get more wear inside the FSB gas block because it is not seated straight in position?

I suggest to NOT cut it off just to hide the issue. Get it fixed by any means possible.

Ya know I factored that in as well. I chopped my 6933 barrel down to 10.3 , also running a NT4 suppressor. With that said , it rain smooth and hardly any gas in the face. Looked at the FSB where the gas port is I notice it is bleeding off around the barrel. So it’s more then likely not aligned right , but because of that the rifle isn’t over gassed and it almost acts as a gas block adjustment. For what it’s worth it’s perfect where it’s at as strange as it sounds? Now as to how it will affect the rifle in the long term ? We will see.

3 AE
01-19-21, 17:19
How many clicks left windage did you have to put on your rear sight to zero the windage?

It's been two months and nothing from the OP on any resolution from Colt or any corrective action taken to correct the canted FSB. Pretty much a "dead headed" thread. :lazy: