PDA

View Full Version : First SpecOps mission after 9/11

Sam
11-18-20, 11:17
https://www.yahoo.com/news/story-first-special-ops-mission-141225259.html

ABNAK
11-18-20, 12:42
The Ranger's objective, Rhino, was in fact what is now Kandahar air base.

I know the guy pictured, CW4 Greg Coker. Cool dude. He is also a shooter, like IPSC and other tactical shooting sports. He told me years back that he had a custom .45 built and he took it to A-stan with him on those early missions. He wanted to be able to say he fired it in Afghanistan so he landed in the middle of nowhere, got out and fired off a few rounds, then got back in and flew away now satisfied his piece had been properly de-virginated.

FromMyColdDeadHand
11-18-20, 16:29
"It was a sight to behold, my goodness," Coker remembers. "We dropped three-quarters of a million tons of bombs in 15 minutes."

750,000 two thousand pound bombs in 15 min...

21,000 B52s....

ABNAK
11-18-20, 16:34
750,000 two thousand pound bombs in 15 min...

21,000 B52s....

Now that WOULD be a sight to behold!

ABNAK
11-18-20, 16:39
A woman I used to work with at the time had a husband who was on the first A-Team into Afghanistan. He was team's warrant officer (XO). The movie "12 Strong" was an amalgamation of a couple different team's stories. When it came out I messaged her on Facebook what he thought about the movie. She said he was kind of "Meh...."

Diamondback
11-18-20, 16:49
Now that WOULD be a sight to behold!

Especially since there were only about 700 built, and only about 60 left flying at that time.

Shows how stupid the Pentagon is, instead of casting older models aside as newer ones came on line they should have been sending the old ones back to be remanufactured up to the new spec.

sinister
11-18-20, 17:05
I know the guy pictured, CW4 Greg Coker. Cool dude. He is also a shooter, like IPSC and other tactical shooting sports. He told me years back that he had a custom .45 built and he took it to A-stan with him on those early missions. He wanted to be able to say he fired it in Afghanistan so he landed in the middle of nowhere, got out and fired off a few rounds, then got back in and flew away now satisfied his piece had been properly de-virginated.Trivia about Greg -- he's one of the few to survive a Surface-to-Air Missile shoot-down of a Little Bird (which broke his back).

During convalescent leave he came down to Benning to work in our USAMU gunsmith shop. While staying at the Victory Drive Holiday Inn some pole-smoker broke into his truck and stole his 3-gun set, optics, and gear.

TheAlsatian
11-18-20, 18:54
I was the J2 Ops at SOCCENT at that time.

chuckman
11-20-20, 11:14
That's a great story. I think ISA was there a bit before that, but we all know they don't count... ;)