PDA

View Full Version : Entry Level AR 15

gary09
11-19-20, 00:07
I have been a using a Beretta 92FS since 2019 and it is more comfortable to carry with me as a CCW. But I have not been able to do it for an Entry level AR 15.I am prepping to have one of the AR 15 Build like the Ruger 5.56 , S&W M&P 15. Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas about these rifles?

ScottsBad
11-19-20, 00:32
Start with; How much are you willing to spend on a rifle? What is the purpose? Targets, home defense? Either one of those rifles will shoot, how reliably is the question.

If you are a low volume shooter and its for home defense and occasional targets, either one will work. If you plan to shoot a lot and in rough environments I'd go with BCM or Colt or one of the other good but less well known rifles like Sionics. Right now is a tough time to buy an inexpensive or mid-priced rifle, at least where I live, because the demand is so high.

Ammo is also in short supply.

Uncas47
11-19-20, 09:19
Start with; How much are you willing to spend on a rifle? What is the purpose? Targets, home defense? Either one of those rifles will shoot, how reliably is the question.

If you are a low volume shooter and its for home defense and occasional targets, either one will work. If you plan to shoot a lot and in rough environments I'd go with BCM or Colt or one of the other good but less well known rifles like Sionics. Right now is a tough time to buy an inexpensive or mid-priced rifle, at least where I live, because the demand is so high.

Ammo is also in short supply.

I would rather have either of the rifles you mentioned than have none. You can continue to look to trade up in the future from the security of already owning a weapon you can shoot and train with. Times awasting my friend.

everready73
11-19-20, 10:52
Whats your budget? Right now isnt the best time to try to get a really good deal

If you can be around $800 the IWI Zion seems to be a good option. If you can spend 1k-1.5k that opens up a lot more options like Colt 6920, BCM, Sionics, Centurion CM4, etc

If you want the absolute cheapest that will still (probably) work PSA is a budget if you cant spend more. I would recommend buying a separate upper and lower and just pinning them together, as that will likely be cheaper than buying ta rifle complete.

of the 2 options you listed i like the M&P better as it has all standard components and a good track record for what it is. The Ruger has a few random propitiatory parts and not 100% compatible with other ar handguards etc

Stickman
11-19-20, 11:18
I have been a using a Beretta 92FS since 2019 and it is more comfortable to carry with me as a CCW. But I have not been able to do it for an Entry level AR 15.I am prepping to have one of the AR 15 Build like the Ruger 5.56 , S&W M&P 15. Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas about these rifles?

What is your primary language?

n8vmind
11-19-20, 11:56
I believe he/she/it is a *bot*[emoji28]

RUTGERS95
11-19-20, 12:14
I'd buy a colt 6920 and be done

Uncas47
11-19-20, 14:29

I think you and Stick got it right.

Striker6
11-19-20, 16:01
I found it a little suspicious that the OP is in Florida and created an account on the Colorado ar15 website asking the exact same question.