PDA

View Full Version : A few Garand questions.....

jmoore
11-19-20, 17:05
Yes - I know this is an AR list.....:)

Years ago, I got rid of my Garands & Enfields. All were high quality shooters. (And yes - lots of regrets.:)
Now - two months into retirement - I’m feeling like re-visiting Garands.
Some Qs....

1). Looking for some good, respected sources for purchasing my first re-entry Garand. Looking for something between rack grade and top-of-the-line. Want functionality, good tolerances and appearance. Not concerned about matching numbers and history at this point in time. Suggestions?
2). 308 vs 06???? Pros & cons nowadays?
3). Other suggestions?????

TIA

geezer john

Lefty223
11-19-20, 18:22
1) Go to CMP.org website, see what’s available, read up on the various grades and buy the best grade YOU can afford. Some come with new stocks and Criterion barrels.

2) I’m a 308 fan! Yeah, yeah ... no collector value and wasn't what Uncle carried in Korea or what GrandDad carried in Europe ... but of those were likely rearsenaled too already ... so there you go.

PROS for 30-06 - You can buy the ported gas plug by Garand Gear, which opens up more ammo avaialabiloty, where non-ported M1s need a specific powder profile at a specific pressure curvento avoidndamaging the operating rod, and receiver ... and you, lol!

CONS for 30-06 - Now to me, it used to be where I’d see milsurp Greek or other ball ammo for the Garand all over the place, but now all my friends with non-ported M1s are searching high & low for ammo (Surplus) to feed them.

PROS for 308 - Just cool, very accurate and using the Schuester adjustable gas plugs, I can dial in the cycling to M1A specific commercial or surplus loads (have been getting AMU Lake City ammo lately) or commercial loads, like the Federal M1A specific loading with the 168-grn open-tipped match ammo, shooting 1 MOA or better in my 308 Garand built to all National Match standards. She’s negative on the muzzle end and 0 at the throat and a reknowned Garand/M1A guru said it was one of the best 308 Garands he’s ver seen. Bought it on the cheap too, when everyone was abandoning M1s & M1As for the ‘black rifles’.

CONS for the 308 - It’s not what Uncle carried in Korea ... but he would have, if he could have, LOL!

3) Go CMP and buy the best ... and if you can (not sure due to Covid) drive to the CMP store ...

dmd08
11-19-20, 19:20
Get a cmp special. No provenance and it's probably not a looker but they have new criterion barrels. Looks like rack grade specials can be had right now for $650.

MountainRaven
11-19-20, 19:57
1- CMP
2- 30-06 (but it doesn't really matter). In pre-covid times I had no issue finding 30-06 designed to be run through Garands from Prvi, S&B, Federal (American Eagle), and Hornady. It may be easier to find 7.62x51mm NATO and MSR-safe 308 Win nowadays. Easier to get a quality Garand from the CMP in 30-06, IME.
3- Make sure you get an M1 web sling from ATF and an M1923 cartridge belt...

RUTGERS95
11-19-20, 20:47
get both

notorious_ar15
11-26-20, 21:29
You might also give Fulton Armory a look outside of the CMP process.

ABNAK
11-27-20, 21:34
You might also give Fulton Armory a look outside of the CMP process.

They are running nearly 5 months for either new builds or gun work, and I'll bet it ends up being longer than that. Given the [unfortunately] coming political situation that is too much time to gamble on. My recommendation would be to buy a Garand that is not a POS now from someone and have any gun work or re-barreling done locally.

mack7.62
11-27-20, 22:37
How far are you from Port Clinton, Ohio, a road trip to CMP North store might be worthwhile.

SeriousStudent
11-27-20, 22:48
I went full boat nostalgia. I got a Winchester 30-06 Garand and a poop-load of enbloc clips and ammo last year. I'm delighted I did. I snagged a Springfield 1903-A3 from the same guy, it's one of the Smith-Corona ones.

Both shoot like a dream. Get a pair of slings, some tools and books, and have yourself a ball.

I'm going to try and take a deer with each rifle next fall.

Arik
11-28-20, 09:53
I went full boat nostalgia. I got a Winchester 30-06 Garand and a poop-load of enbloc clips and ammo last year. I'm delighted I did. I snagged a Springfield 1903-A3 from the same guy, it's one of the Smith-Corona ones.

Both shoot like a dream. Get a pair of slings, some tools and books, and have yourself a ball.

I'm going to try and take a deer with each rifle next fall.I so regret selling mine. I got it about the same time all the Greek ammo was coming in. At that time I also managed to score a few thousand rounds of the Greek surplus 30-06 for pennies. Sold it all soon after in one of my minimalist phases

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

RUTGERS95
11-28-20, 11:19
I so regret selling mine. I got it about the same time all the Greek ammo was coming in. At that time I also managed to score a few thousand rounds of the Greek surplus 30-06 for pennies. Sold it all soon after in one of my minimalist phases

I hear you! I'm wrestling with selling one of mine now (win with var barrel dutch return) that just sits and sits. part of says do it, the other parts so way....decisions...lol

SeriousStudent
11-28-20, 12:59
I so regret selling mine. I got it about the same time all the Greek ammo was coming in. At that time I also managed to score a few thousand rounds of the Greek surplus 30-06 for pennies. Sold it all soon after in one of my minimalist phases

Another gun in the Book of Tears. :(

Yeah, I scored two cans of that Greek stuff on clips.

I am going to take the 03 out to the range next weekend. Hopefully the new regime will allow 100+ year old bolt action rifles in California. My brother has been casting covetous glances at it, I'll likely loan it to him, and keep the Garand here.

MountainRaven
11-28-20, 14:29
If I ever get the bug to minimize my guns to a rifle and a pistol, I’m going to put find a way to mount an AP Micro and SureFire on my Garand. I believe Ultimak makes a railed replacement upper handguard that would work.

SeriousStudent
11-28-20, 17:11
If I ever get the bug to minimize my guns to a rifle and a pistol, I’m going to put find a way to mount an AP Micro and SureFire on my Garand. I believe Ultimak makes a railed replacement upper handguard that would work.

I know someone in California that did exactly that on an M1 carbine, and uses it very well.

ABNAK
11-28-20, 17:31

I should probably be banned for even posting this, being sacrilegious and all, but here goes:

https://ustacticalsupply.com/sageinternationalm1garandebrstock.aspx

http://www.sageinternationalltd.com/SIL/M1GALCS.html

SeriousStudent
11-28-20, 17:58
I should probably be banned for even posting this, being sacrilegious and all, but here goes:

https://ustacticalsupply.com/sageinternationalm1garandebrstock.aspx

http://www.sageinternationalltd.com/SIL/M1GALCS.html

I had seen those before, and wondered about how heavy there were. I know guys got issued the Sage stocks for M-14 sniper rifles at the beginning of OIF - you know anybody that used one?

And a big part of me wants to get a period-correct bayonet for each rifle. I know I'll never use it for anything, but it just "feels right".

ABNAK
11-28-20, 18:04
I had seen those before, and wondered about how heavy there were. I know guys got issued the Sage stocks for M-14 sniper rifles at the beginning of OIF - you know anybody that used one?

And a big part of me wants to get a period-correct bayonet for each rifle. I know I'll never use it for anything, but it just "feels right".

While I didn't hump it up and down mountains in Afghanistan, I did have a Sage for one of my M-14 clones a number of years ago. Made it feel like a crew-served weapon! Was like $600 about 15 years ago too. Nah, you can have it.

The "tactical" Garand stocks remind me of those "tactical" lever gun setups: atrocious.

SeriousStudent
11-28-20, 18:10
What was it Jeff Cooper said?

"An elegant solution to a non-existent problem."

MountainRaven
11-28-20, 19:44
There's nothing elegant about a Sage EBR chassis.

I didn't know that they made one for SKS and am disappointed to discover that it is not compatible with the bayonet.

GNXII
11-29-20, 11:08

Heres another less obtrusive option :

http://www.amegamounts.com/product_pages/m1garand.php

RUTGERS95
11-29-20, 12:23
Heres another less obtrusive option :

http://www.amegamounts.com/product_pages/m1garand.php

Rich but nice

kerplode
12-01-20, 15:08
Get a CMP Special in 30-06. Buy PPU M2 when it comes around, or load your own to M2 specs.

I'd recommend a trip to either Anniston or Port Clinton and pick one you like. Those places can be dangerous to your bank account, though!

Another option is to try to get into one of the CMP Advanced Maintenance courses (if/when they come back online) and build your own under the guidance of the CMP custom shop armorers. It's not very cost effective, but it's a hell of an experience!