PDA

View Full Version : My RE seems a bit off center. Is it an issue?

Fr3EK
11-21-20, 23:53
I’m attempting my first build and when putting the buffer tube on I noticed after the staking that it might be a mm or two at most off center to the left. My stock is on the way so can’t really see if it’s negligible or not. It’s a Vltor a5 RE with HSP end plate. If I need to rebuy the end plate I will as I don’t think there’s a way to salvage it at this point if I needed to remove the castle nut and realign. So, my question is if it is off a mm or two to one side is it good to go still or should I just take it off and start again?

If I have to start over anyone got any recommendations for a gunsmith in NW GA that won’t try to bubba the build like someone already did earlier on in the build when I started?

I searched for the exact questions and couldn’t find anything quite what I was looking for so I’m hoping this may help someone in the future as well. Thanks again everyone.

223to45
11-22-20, 00:14
Trying to picture what you are referring too.

Got any photos??

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Fr3EK
11-22-20, 00:25
64392Hang on I think I got a pic

Also got more if needed

Fr3EK
11-22-20, 00:29

If I need to I can get better ones just. I just know when I look from behind it’s off to the left instead of being straight by a mm or two.

ViniVidivici
11-22-20, 01:09
Wait until you get the stock on, then you'll know. It does look a bit off, but could just be the angle.

FWIW, when I attach a buffer tube, I do it with the stock already on, for just this reason....they all have varying degrees of rotational "wobble", and I like to hold the stock nice and straight while I turn the wrench with the other hand...yes I use a vise to gently hold the lower while doing this. Confirm alignment and tightness, then stake.

davidjinks
11-22-20, 05:59
It’s happened to me before while doing a build. For whatever reason I couldn’t get the RE to stay true. It’s off maybe a MM or 2. Once I got my stock on, you couldn’t tell.

The only thing it’s going to affect is your OCD. That’s why I never take the stock off my build...

I’m attempting my first build and when putting the buffer tube on I noticed after the staking that it might be a mm or two at most off center to the left. My stock is on the way so can’t really see if it’s negligible or not. It’s a Vltor a5 RE with HSP end plate. If I need to rebuy the end plate I will as I don’t think there’s a way to salvage it at this point if I needed to remove the castle nut and realign. So, my question is if it is off a mm or two to one side is it good to go still or should I just take it off and start again?

If I have to start over anyone got any recommendations for a gunsmith in NW GA that won’t try to bubba the build like someone already did earlier on in the build when I started?

I searched for the exact questions and couldn’t find anything quite what I was looking for so I’m hoping this may help someone in the future as well. Thanks again everyone.

dirkmagurk
11-22-20, 09:02
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3J4hZO9ZaDA
This video shows a great way to install your extension.

99cobra2881
11-22-20, 09:33
https://botach.com/kz-ar15-m4-receiver-extension-buffer-tube-block/

The RE is twisting under the torque of tightening the castle nut. Order the vise fixture in the link above to hold the RE versus trying to tq the castle nut with a vise block in the mag well.

Uncas47
11-22-20, 16:13
Depending on how far afield it is, it can cause damage to the RE threads along the keyway. If it's not excessive just unscrewing the castle nut can chase the threads back to reusable condition

seb5
11-22-20, 16:27
https://botach.com/kz-ar15-m4-receiver-extension-buffer-tube-block/

The RE is twisting under the torque of tightening the castle nut. Order the vise fixture in the link above to hold the RE versus trying to tq the castle nut with a vise block in the mag well.

That's kinds cool. However, I've put on dozens over the years and was always able to get them right. Sometimes I'd just seat it a bit off center and when I torqued it it pulled it straight. YMMV. Now they have tools for every detail and I've bought many, this I'll pass on.

26 Inf
11-24-20, 21:10
That's kinds cool. However, I've put on dozens over the years and was always able to get them right. Sometimes I'd just seat it a bit off center and when I torqued it it pulled it straight. YMMV. Now they have tools for every detail and I've bought many, this I'll pass on.

I've got one of those, it's a knock off of this one:

https://geissele.com/reaction-block-ar15-m4-mil-spec-buffer-tube-only.html

I find it useful for a lot of tasks, torquing the castle nut hasn't been one of them.

Steve-0-
11-24-20, 22:57
When you torque place a stock on the RE and put pressure on it to the right (counter clockwise) while torquing. This will prevent clockwise rotation. 90% of end plates indexing pins allow about 5 degrees or sometimes more of play even when indexed in the slot.

At the end of the day, its not a huge deal but if you run stocks with large cheekweld surfaces, it feels weird.

PhoPoweR
11-25-20, 00:32
Have your bud that did it fix it for ya

ST911
11-25-20, 07:48

I find it useful for a lot of tasks, torquing the castle nut hasn't been one of them.

The Geissele tools and blocks are excellent.

seb5
11-25-20, 10:03

I can see the usefulness of it and i agree not for RE's.

jpmuscle
11-25-20, 10:08
I love the geissele stuff and have both of the above tools. Back when the reaction block was only $80 so not sure wtf the happened there. The Midwest reaction block is a better design though imo.

Neither facilitate ensuring the RE is lined up however so have to eye ball it or rig up a clamp that holds both the lower and RE in line vertically.

Dwilson was working on a attachment that would function similar clamping the lower and the reaction block inline but I don’t think it ever made it production unfortunately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

99cobra2881
11-25-20, 10:14
Not for REs huh?

https://youtu.be/3J4hZO9ZaDA

I posted a cheaper knockoff of the G$ Reaction block since they upped the price by $100. $100 seems reasonable doubling the price to $200 not so much.

seb5
11-25-20, 10:16
I love the geissele stuff and have both of the above tools. Back when the reaction block was only $80 so not sure wtf the happened there. The Midwest reaction block is a better design though imo.

Neither facilitate ensuring the RE is lined up however so have to eye ball it or rig up a clamp that holds both the lower and RE in line vertically.

Dwilson was working on a attachment that would function similar clamping the lower and the reaction block inline but I don’t think it ever made it production unfortunately.

Where did you find the midwest reaction block? I'm looking.

99cobra2881
11-25-20, 10:19

Simple fix clamp the magwell vise block in the vise with two pieces of angle iron to make the jaws longer while also clamping the RE vise. Both are then held perfectly on plane. May have to shim to get the RE block to lock up tight but that would be fairly easy to do with a few pieces of flat iron.

seb5
11-25-20, 10:22
No doubt that would work but it does seem like the juice isn't worth the squeeze. Lots of dollars tied up in that video.

jpmuscle
11-25-20, 10:27
Where did you find the midwest reaction block? I'm looking.

That was a typo. I meant the Midwest reaction style rod.

Grand58742
11-25-20, 10:59

That looks really handy.

I'm not sure it's $200 handy though.

26 Inf
11-25-20, 14:39
Not for REs huh?

https://youtu.be/3J4hZO9ZaDA

I posted a cheaper knockoff of the G$ Reaction block since they upped the price by $100. $100 seems reasonable doubling the price to $200 not so much.

What is in that video? Wants me to sign in to ensure I'm over 18.

26 Inf
11-25-20, 14:40
That looks really handy.

I'm not sure it's $200 handy though.

I don't think so either.