PDA

View Full Version : house brand upper receiver

jhurt
12-02-08, 11:56
Hello and since this is my first post I'll say I'm quite impressed with the knowledge base here. I've got a few questions about a specific product. I don't want to offend anyone as the company I'm asking about is a listed manufacturer here (M&A Parts). I will say first that I did try to ask a company rep in person but he seemed to get mad about my questions and I let it go for the time being. Anyway here goes: Does anyone have direct experience with their M4 chrome-lined complete uppers? I got one for work and upon inspection I am just not sure about it. I combed their website for information and am even more confused.

Here are my concerns:
-They claim it was manufactured by LMT but they didn't put any markings on it other than twist and chamber (5.56). Also say it's 4140 steel.
- They advertise it as M4 but it has the rifle ramps.
-They specify a "sanitized government contractor bolt" and "the real deal" but it seems that it would not pass any gov't inspection for an M4 carbine: blue extractor insert, non-existent staking on gas key screws, not MPI or HP, no threadlocker on gas-key screws.

I've seen failures on other rifles in the inventory and I'm trying to avoid the same mistakes that were made in the past . However I can't find anyone in person that has experience with this product. In fact I can't really find anything at all except on their website. Does anyone have a recommendation? I initially asked my boss to send the whole thing back. Now I'm considering just replacing the BCG with a known quality unit.
A little background, this will be a fairly hard use tool for me, as I am a police officer and Swat as well. As many of you know we don't get to pick the environment we work in so we have to pick to pick the best equipment we can convince the dept to but for us! Thanks in advance.

Jason

GaryXD
12-02-08, 12:57
I would stay away from businesses that got mad when you try to ask them legitimate questions.

Don Robison
12-02-08, 19:45
Don't just walk, but run from any company that won't answer legitimate questions. Also based on the specs you gave run away and find a real LMT upper.

jhurt
12-02-08, 20:06
I did try to get the LMT first but you know how that can be...it was $100 cheaper and I don't necessarily make the decisions around there. My Sgt. has agreed to send the entire upper and BCG back to them. I think I've convinced him to wait for the LMT. I pulled a Colt rifle out of the armory and demonstrated the distinct differences and he agreed. While looking at the BCGs side-by-side he says "That %$*&*# will shoot loose right away!"

Don Robison
12-02-08, 20:26
it was $100 cheaper

That was your first clue.;)

whaledriver
12-03-08, 14:27
Yep for your line of work you cannot afford to go $100 cheaper.

jhurt
12-03-08, 15:18
I agree. In fact he asked if I wanted a Rock River upper and I practically begged him not get one. We have 15 of their rifles in the inventory now (I was not involved in the decision and actually didn't even work there when they were bought). Have seen some very odd failures from them. I recommended at least dumping their 2-stage triggers but was overruled. Then they started to fail. Its things like this I am aiming to avoid in the future. As it is I'm issued a RR lower for whatever new upper they are buying and I've been trying to get permission to replace the FCG. So far no luck.

whaledriver
12-03-08, 22:28
Hmmmm. That is too bad you are stuck in that position. I would try to balance the assertive position and explain how important it is for you to have confidence in your weapon. I would think about printing up some informational material and send it his way. Although having 15 of the RRA rifles in the inventory does indicate a commitment. Good luck I hope it works out for you.

junkxp
12-03-08, 23:22
I would stay away from businesses that got mad when you try to ask them legitimate questions.

I'm going to have to agree with this guy.

I'll also say the same company mentioned a manufacturer a couple years ago that would have me to believe they are getting seconds from a sub contractors. Seems like it would be a gamble but they do have good prices. I haven't heard many complaints and was thinking of purchasing from them myself but due to availability have went another direction.

Why would a department order service rifles with 2 stage triggers?

jhurt
12-04-08, 00:19
Well, they decided to do the switch from shotguns to ar15 rifles in 2003. There was really only one officer that knew anything about the platform at the time but he competes in National Match and highly recommended the RRA since they have the 1 MOA guarantee and 2-stage trigger as standard. He was looking at it from a accuracy/competition standpoint plus they are semi-local since we are both in Illinois. Now the upper from the lower that I have has a loose FSB and the barrel actually shot itself loose. The barrel indexing notch on the upper receiver is worn and the barrel rotates even when properly torqued. The gas tube keeps it from moving too far. Anyway thats for another thread. The point is the M&A Parts complete M4 upper doesn't seem to be up to the standard required by my job. I feel like I've put in a good argument so we'll have to see...thanks again for the input so far.