PDA

View Full Version : NFA Durning ‘94 AWB?

Korgs130
11-25-20, 09:08
Though I was a gun owner (I purchased my first gun in ‘93) I spent a lot of time overseas durning the ‘90s & ‘00s and wasn’t a true “gun guy” until 2010 when I final purchased my first AR. My question is for those of you who had or acquired NFA items during the ’94 Assault Weapons Ban. Were there any additional limitations or restrictions to SBRs during the ban?

Steve Shannon
11-25-20, 14:44
Though I was a gun owner (I purchased my first gun in ‘93) I spent a lot of time overseas durning the ‘90s & ‘00s and wasn’t a true “gun guy” until 2010 when I final purchased my first AR. My question is for those of you who had or acquired NFA items during the ’94 Assault Weapons Ban. Were there any additional limitations or restrictions to SBRs during the ban?

No ——-

markm
11-25-20, 20:25
Were there any additional limitations or restrictions to SBRs during the ban?

The 1994 ban was a friggin joke. There were massive amounts of gutless turds who could stand nothing better than to dry hump that ban with compliance.

That part of it was sad... booger eaters milling off bayo studs and such. I was proactively violating with every chance I could.

rushca01
11-25-20, 22:22
The 1994 ban was a friggin joke. There were massive amounts of gutless turds who could stand nothing better than to dry hump that ban with compliance.

That part of it was sad... booger eaters milling off bayo studs and such. I was proactively violating with every chance I could.

Did we just become best friends!

Mongo
11-27-20, 06:27
I got my machine gin collection out of the 94 ban. I sold every one of my semi autos for huge amounts of money and replaced them all with machine guns and ammo. The weekend after the ban was signed the gun shows were a zoo. I found a dealer selling a HK94 in the box for $800, I bought it and sold it before I walked 5 ft for $3K. I sold my worn out NM Springfield M-1A for $5K and a Colt A2 sporter for $2K.

I bought my Stoner 63A for 12K that year.

Arik
11-27-20, 08:09
I got in towards the end so I didn't know there was a before. As far as I knew 10 round mags were it and rifles needed a butthole stock.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Steve Shannon
11-27-20, 08:29

How were you violating? Everything manufactured before the ban was grandfathered. None of the people I know (I’ve been a dealer since 1983) modified anything that had built already.

Never mind; I suspect you meant that you continued to build full featured rifles.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JoshNC
12-01-20, 22:39
SBRs were not exempt from the 94 ban. You could have no more than two features from the list, which meant detachable mag and pistol grip. No flash hider, threaded barrel, bayo lug, or folding/collapsing stock. And no sound suppressor use on a post-94 sbr because it fit criteria for a flash suppressor per ATF.

I debated buying a post-94 Speshul Weponz mp5 clone during the ban era, but decided against it due to the limitations in configuration. I ultimately started buying MGs in 02 when I started making money.

JoshNC
12-01-20, 22:42
I got my machine gin collection out of the 94 ban. I sold every one of my semi autos for huge amounts of money and replaced them all with machine guns and ammo. The weekend after the ban was signed the gun shows were a zoo. I found a dealer selling a HK94 in the box for $800, I bought it and sold it before I walked 5 ft for $3K. I sold my worn out NM Springfield M-1A for $5K and a Colt A2 sporter for $2K.

I bought my Stoner 63A for 12K that year.

Winning. Stoner 63A for $12k in 94. Wow. I was in highschool in 94 and my father was not supportive of owning MGs. He changed his tune in 2000.

Mongo
12-02-20, 08:06
Winning. Stoner 63A for $12k in 94. Wow. I was in highschool in 94 and my father was not supportive of owning MGs. He changed his tune in 2000.

I bought a DIAS for $695 in I think 1992. One of the other dealers I knew said I was stupid to pay that much and would never get my money out of it. I traded it a few years later for a Swedish K and M37 Browning.

JoshNC
12-06-20, 09:31
I bought a DIAS for $695 in I think 1992. One of the other dealers I knew said I was stupid to pay that much and would never get my money out of it. I traded it a few years later for a Swedish K and M37 Browning.

I started following MG prices in ‘95. While in college around 97/98, I passed on many good deals because the thought of spending $450 on a MAC, $1500 on a DIAS, $2500 on a Colt M16, $3500 on a RRPP mp5, seemed like all the money in the world. In reality, I should have put all on a CC. Hindsight.

Steve Shannon
12-06-20, 10:05
I started following MG prices in ‘95. While in college around 97/98, I passed on many good deals because the thought of spending $450 on a MAC, $1500 on a DIAS, $2500 on a Colt M16, $3500 on a RRPP mp5, seemed like all the money in the world. In reality, I should have put all on a CC. Hindsight.

Don’t be too hard on yourself. In the early 80s I kept looking at DIAS for $9.95 in Shotgun News that could then be registered for $200 and I thought “someday”.
I picked up my HK94 direct from HK and planned to send it to be converted “someday”.
You’re way ahead of many of us.

Pappabear
12-06-20, 14:38
I only owned handguns at that time and was completely unaware there was a Ban in any way shape or form. I was running around like a goose in a new world.

PB

JoshNC
12-06-20, 19:11
Don’t be too hard on yourself. In the early 80s I kept looking at DIAS for $9.95 in Shotgun News that could then be registered for $200 and I thought “someday”.
I picked up my HK94 direct from HK and planned to send it to be converted “someday”.
You’re way ahead of many of us.

Well it taught me not to fence sit if there is something I want. I mostly follow it today.