PDA

View Full Version : Geissele super duty

MrLegalAce777
11-25-20, 11:59
I am thinking about picking up a 14.5 geissele supper duty with their chf barrel but before I do where do you guys think these upper ranks with companies like bcm and dd?

Hank6046
11-25-20, 12:51
I am thinking about picking up a 14.5 geissele supper duty with their chf barrel but before I do where do you guys think these upper ranks with companies like bcm and dd?

I own both multiple BCM and DD and would not think twice to buy a Geissele

ST911
11-25-20, 13:46

Geissele is high quality, high performance. Recommended.

To rank them would require more info about your intended use, preferences, and budget. At this level, each also has their own nuances that make comparison highly subjective.

Stickman
11-25-20, 14:08
There are lots of good companies, and anything from Geissele should be GTG. There are other options as well, such as Centurion Arms, or Bravo Company MFG and the list goes on and on. However, since your question is company and weapon specific, the answer is that G should rank up with the better of the AR15 lineup.

Buncheong
11-25-20, 14:31
I don’t own a Geissele but have inspected a number of them that came into the LGS. They have a very nice finish and appear very well built.

I’d like to get one but just can’t seem to break ranks with Centurion. The quality workmanship and superior customer service keeps me coming back for more parts and builds.

MrLegalAce777
11-25-20, 14:40
I was planning on getting a bcm upper but I had a buddy reach out telling me he has an unfired 14.5 pinned geissele super duty with the nano bolt and chf barrel so I googled them and they look good to go specs wise and I would use it as my class gun and truck gun but before I pick it up just wanted to find out if it was at least as good as bcm since I know they make good rifles. I know geissele makes good stuff but is this super duty rifle really "duty" grade?

maximus83
11-25-20, 15:27
If cost wasn't a concern, I would get a Geissele without hesitation. Haven't owned one but used their trigger groups and other small parts for years, most things they do are top quality in build and materials.

Knorth
11-25-20, 17:43
I would say just as good if not better. They are produced in house not sourcing out. Invested lots of money for the machines. I’ve held them and dry fired and they were excellent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11-26-20, 09:48
The two guys I shoot with every week have them. A 16” complete gun and an 11.5” upper. 6 -10 months of (mostly) monogamous use on them. Really nice guns. Among the best rifles I’ve shot; certainly nicer than the price point. I really like the trigger in the complete gun. I’m no G fanboy, either.

hi-wayman
11-26-20, 10:00
I have 16" guns from all 3, Geissele SD, BCM, and DD. If I could only keep one, it would be the Geissele hands down.

MrLegalAce777
11-26-20, 11:57
I went ahead and picked up an od green upper for my bcm lower, what buffer do you guys run with yours? Its the 14.5 and wont be suppressed.

MountainRaven
11-26-20, 12:15
I believe Geissele ships the complete rifles with H2 buffers and recommends the use of the same when used in conjunction with their complete uppers.

Disciple
11-26-20, 12:20
I have 16" guns from all 3, Geissele SD, BCM, and DD. If I could only keep one, it would be the Geissele hands down.

What is superior about the Geissele?

signal4l
11-26-20, 12:20
Does Geissele make use of any lightweight barrels?

All of the reviews I have read regarding their super duties mentions the use of heavy (socom ?)profile barrel.

turnburglar
11-26-20, 13:09
I know geissele makes good stuff but is this super duty rifle really "duty" grade?

Are you 'duty grade'? Have a history of breaking carbines? Shoot a case a month or more?

It will work for whatever light duty you throw at it.

hi-wayman
11-26-20, 13:31
Superior? That is a strong word. I like all 3 and would give any of them a thumbs up. I just "like" the the total package of the Geissele more.

The Geissele is the 16" DDC Super Duty from last years black friday sale. I think it has the best rail of the 3. other high points for me, factory ambi charging handle and safety (no mush, positive detents), the enhanced bolt with the "nano" coating (cleanup is a breeze), the trigger is great (I admit to being spoiled on triggers). Very smooth rifle cycling and controls. I did change the grip and may change the muzzle device with a Deadair Keymo to use my existing suppressor with. I have added a finger stop and Ariska mounted Surefire. Sling and Razor 1x6 on a Bobro and its complete.

BCM is a Recce precision. I really like the feel of the hand guard, but feel the G is more robust. Finger stop, POF ambition selector, and LaRue MBT-2s only changes. With a Steiner 1x4 on an Aero mount, its light and handles well.

DD is older M4V7. The "Slim" handguard (non mlok) feels good but seems heavy. POF ambi, MOE+ grip, Vltor stock, SSA-E trigger, and Keymo brake. It shares the Razor with the G (recorded zero settings for each). This rifles high point is it will shoot 77 OTM well. A good day has 10 rounds in a 1" group.

All variations on theme to suite me and my old eyes and they all work well, the G just feels better to me

Disciple
11-26-20, 14:54
Thanks

Sry0fcr
11-26-20, 15:04

I bought my 14.5" DDC Super Duty with the expectation of it having an extended gas system. Turns out "Super Midlength" is just Geissele talk for a regular midlength. Only 16" guns get the extended system. I've got over 1K rounds on it since June through zeroing, personal training, and letting students shoot a few rounds through it in local classes. Zero malfunctions so far that weren't induced. It's even had some Monarch steel run through it without a hiccup. I've not shot it beyond 100Y but it's more than accurate enough for my uses. 1.5 MOA with XM193, you can probably do better with like better ammo.

It's a fantastic package.

It's also a really expensive, standard midlength gun that's heavier than it needs to be & really doesn't really bring a whole lot (REBCG aside) to the table that you can't get elsewhere. And it doesn't even come with BUIS or a rear QD plate. The recent price increase makes the value proposition even worse.

Wake27
11-26-20, 15:35
Does Geissele make use of any lightweight barrels?

All of the reviews I have read regarding their super duties mentions the use of heavy (socom ?)profile barrel.

All G barrels are the same profile I believe. Not technically SOCOM but definitely a heavy profile with a taper.

Wake27
11-26-20, 15:36
The REBCG is proprietary isn’t it? I vaguely remember seeing that they altered the cam pin path so it won’t work with standard BCGs and vice versa.

Sry0fcr
11-26-20, 16:08
The REBCG is proprietary isn’t it? I vaguely remember seeing that they altered the cam pin path so it won’t work with standard BCGs and vice versa.

No, the cam pin on the Super Duties are of a non standard dimension and require uppers to be relieved to fit. Retail REBCGs have standard cam pin dimensions.

Korgs130
11-26-20, 17:13
OP,

The Geissele is good to go. I have a few BCMs and and 2 Geissele Super Duties (a 10.3” UGR-I upper and a 18” complete rifle). I love BCM but IMHO the Super Duty a tad bit nicer. I like the Nano BCG a lot. Unless you are looking for a different barrel profile or muzzle device I’d go with the Super Duty.

signal4l
11-27-20, 19:03
All G barrels are the same profile I believe. Not technically SOCOM but definitely a heavy profile with a taper.

This is a bit disappointing. I don't see the point of a heavy barrel in a semi-automatic, non spr type weapon. Otherwise these seem to be very interesting guns

ABNAK
11-27-20, 19:30
This is a bit disappointing. I don't see the point of a heavy barrel in a semi-automatic, non spr type weapon. Otherwise these seem to be very interesting guns

While I don't own a Geissele, the barrel profile is similar to the Hodge (which I do have) if I'm not mistaken. Not SOCOM, not LW, and definitely not Government profile. Kind of a "medium" if you will.

ABNAK
11-27-20, 19:32
No, the cam pin on the Super Duties are of a non standard dimension and require uppers to be relieved to fit. Retail REBCGs have standard cam pin dimensions.

So if you bought a REBCG that was not part of a whole rifle or upper (i.e. by itself) it will work with any upper?

Sry0fcr
11-27-20, 19:34
So if you bought a REBCG that was not part of a whole rifle or upper (i.e. by itself) it will work with any upper?Correct.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

jpmuscle
11-27-20, 19:36

Nah, heavy profile is best profile

ABNAK
11-27-20, 19:40
Nah, heavy profile is best profile

Well it's heavier, not really "heavy" per se. In addition to the Hodge it reminds me of Sionic's medium profile from what I've seen and read.

Wake27
11-27-20, 20:55

They have benefits like heat resistance and tend to be more accurate and have less POI shift with cans I think. I love BCM's ELW barrels but the taper is the most important thing IMO. I'd definitely be ok with a 10.3-11.5, maybe a 14.5.

Sry0fcr
11-27-20, 21:07
I've had this MFer slung for 5-8 hours at a time. It gets old pretty quickly. Everyone I hand it to notices the weight.

I dumped the B5 SOPMOD to save 2-3 oz but wish they'd swap the Mk16 for the Mk14. This rail is deceptively heavy at 15oz for 13.5".

kyjd75
11-28-20, 04:56
I don’t own a Geissele but have inspected a number of them that came into the LGS. They have a very nice finish and appear very well built.

I’d like to get one but just can’t seem to break ranks with Centurion. The quality workmanship and superior customer service keeps me coming back for more parts and builds.

This for me as well. I am more into the piston rifles than DI, but the DI rifles that I have are all Centurion Arms. In addition I am running CA lowers on several of my 516 and MCX Virtus uppers. In terms of customer service they simply cannot be beat. Every email is promptly answered. Or just talk to them on the phone. If I buy any more DI rifles, no doubt they will be built by Centurion Arms.

Wake27
11-28-20, 08:39
I've had this MFer slung for 5-8 hours at a time. It gets old pretty quickly. Everyone I hand it to notices the weight.

I dumped the B5 SOPMOD to save 2-3 oz but wish they'd swap the Mk16 for the Mk14. This rail is deceptively heavy at 15oz for 13.5".

Fair point, the MK16 definitely isn't in the same weight class as the MCMR or (I assume) the MK14. Mine is paired with an ELW barrel so maybe throwing that and a G barrel together would feel chunky.