PDA

View Full Version : "Go Gear" questions, answers, tricks, hints and explainations (feel free to share))

Stickman
11-25-20, 14:40
With political unrest running rampant in this country, as well as the looting and rioting that liberal governments are refusing to curb, it makes sense that we take a few minutes to think about the gear we use daily, might use daily, or have but hope we never have to use.

I would like to use this thread as an all purpose and generic thread that everyone is free to post in, as well as ask questions. Whether you are showing firearms, pictures of food supplies, your smokehouse, offroad vehicles, bug out bags, plate carrier or LBE/ LBV, or you want to post and talk about your communications setups, its all good to go. If for some reason you are worried about black helicopters circling your house, just say the gear belongs to a friend. No need for people to post things they aren't comfortable with, or personal info, but we can all help each other out.

I'll start with a simple setup that sees daily use, sometimes for short periods of time, and sometimes all day.

The belt is a padded model from Tactical Tailor, as is the 4 point "H" harness. There are extra padding pieces on the shoulder (not shown), which pay for themselves if you have bad back, shoulders, or both.

The pistol is a Glock 17 with Surefire X300 light, and the holster is a Safariland model with rotating/ locking hood piece. I use this because I have seen pistols get accidentally removed from kydex and leather holsters. Guns falling from the sky may be a miracle sometimes, but it stinks if its your gun that goes flying when you roll your Quad or fall into a stream. The locking feature is mandatory for any duty or outside gun. Actually, I think its mandatory anytime I'm not CCW'ing a weapon.

The knife is from DPxGear, and is a 6" fixed blade. I like large knives, and if I'm doing work outside, a 6" beats a 4" or 3" any day of the week in my book. I always keep a sharp folding knife on my person, so if for some reason I need a second blade, I have one in my pocket. The position of the knife is because it works well in or out of vehicles, and I can draw AND sheath the knife one handed without looking (carefully). If I need to grab and cut something which has snagged me, its easy to do.

The weak side/ off side has pistol magazines, and a rifle mag. I don't carry millions of rounds, water, or medical gear. However, this isn't the only gear setup that I use. Knife, gun and light have been highly effective for me through my military and law enforcement career, and I have found I use all three of them on a very frequent basis. Even if you are out in the woods, coyotes, weed farms, meth labs or other issues can easily pop up. More than once I've run into crazy people off duty, and more than once they have seen a firearm and decided to go off on their way.

https://64.media.tumblr.com/7a92fd621a4fb8ebe08e286f25b6feec/tumblr_on9952L7Hf1rrcg2fo1_1280.jpg

https://64.media.tumblr.com/aa54d51f5160914ec2d8857dab231ddd/tumblr_olwp7lBMb71rrcg2fo1_1280.jpg

https://64.media.tumblr.com/28b11661087ce57c1261d3221ef7618e/tumblr_olwp2rwJT51rrcg2fo1_1280.jpg

Stickman
11-25-20, 14:47
"Go Gear" pro tip, if you want to stop worrying about what you are going to do if your sole AR15 breaks because of horror stories you have read on the internet, buy a tackle box and a lower parts kit. get crazy and label the spaces if you want. You don't need a label maker, but just remember that perm marker isn't really permanent and will come off eventually after parts slide around. To help avoid this, you can write the parts on the top as well as inside the box. This way you can even send people to go get parts if you need to. Or, more likely, if you haven't been building AR15s you forget which pins do what. Lastly, labeling parts allows you to see what you are out of, and that is just as important and knowing what you do have.

Aside from the LPK (lower parts kit), you may as well grab a spare bolt, and toss it in. An extra extractor is always a good idea as well.

I know guys who put batteries in with their spare parts bins, and while I don't do that myself, it would be a good way for me to see what I was out of or getting low on.

If you have a better way of doing things, post about it and let us all know. This isn't the only way, and I don't claim it as the best way, this is just what works for me.

https://64.media.tumblr.com/28b0c2464e0ba61bd4d3a4ca36e104ee/tumblr_ph81ybqk4m1rrcg2fo1_1280.jpg

jmnielsen
11-25-20, 15:04
This reminded me how badly I need to order spare parts. I like the tackle box idea.

I use a HPG Original Kit Bag daily that has quickly become my favorite piece of gear. I carry a 5" PPQ Q5 in there with TLR-1, spare mag, knife, small FAK, and other items I may have with me like wallet, keys, and cell phone. I like it enough that I'm planning on getting a Runners kit bag for my day to day stuff, and make the original one a "go bag" of sorts that will pair with my HPG Connor v2. I can have my rifle folded in the backpack and a fullsize pistol on my chest and no one is the wiser.

opngrnd
11-25-20, 15:05
I like the spare parts organizer. Presumably, if you train regularly, you'll need to replace parts. I've been using a desk mounted unit that works fine, but won't travel well.

w3453l
11-25-20, 15:39
"Go Gear" pro tip, if you want to stop worrying about what you are going to do if your sole AR15 breaks because of horror stories you have read on the internet, buy a tackle box and a lower parts kit. get crazy and label the spaces if you want. You don't need a label maker, but just remember that perm marker isn't really permanent and will come off eventually after parts slide around. To help avoid this, you can write the parts on the top as well as inside the box. This way you can even send people to go get parts if you need to. Or, more likely, if you haven't been building AR15s you forget which pins do what. Lastly, labeling parts allows you to see what you are out of, and that is just as important and knowing what you do have.

Aside from the LPK (lower parts kit), you may as well grab a spare bolt, and toss it in. An extra extractor is always a good idea as well.

I know guys who put batteries in with their spare parts bins, and while I don't do that myself, it would be a good way for me to see what I was out of or getting low on.

If you have a better way of doing things, post about it and let us all know. This isn't the only way, and I don't claim it as the best way, this is just what works for me.

https://64.media.tumblr.com/28b0c2464e0ba61bd4d3a4ca36e104ee/tumblr_ph81ybqk4m1rrcg2fo1_1280.jpg

Hey Stick, what tacklebox is this? I've been looking to buy one that's atleast semi-sturdy. The one you have pictured looks like what I had in mind, but all the Walmarts I've been to seem to just have the really flimsy ones. Trying to see if I can order one online

vandal5
11-25-20, 16:17
Great idea for a post Stick. Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Diamondback
11-25-20, 18:12
Hey Stick, what tacklebox is this? I've been looking to buy one that's atleast semi-sturdy. The one you have pictured looks like what I had in mind, but all the Walmarts I've been to seem to just have the really flimsy ones. Trying to see if I can order one online

Not sure what Stick's using, but I saw something similar over at Imminent Threat Solutions and I bought the same Akro-Mils box they used--the various Plano Prolatch tackle boxes would work well here too. (I've used Plano for storage/transport of miniatures and model parts for years, along with organizers in my laptop cases, and they've given yeoman service.)

Stickman
11-25-20, 19:18
Not sure what Stick's using, but I saw something similar over at Imminent Threat Solutions and I bought the same Akro-Mils box they used--the various Plano Prolatch tackle boxes would work well here too. (I've used Plano for storage/transport of miniatures and model parts for years, along with organizers in my laptop cases, and they've given yeoman service.)

I think the one I have is a Plano, but I’m not sure. I have a total of three tackle box setups now, and that is the small one.

Stickman
11-25-20, 19:20
This reminded me how badly I need to order spare parts. I like the tackle box idea.

I use a HPG Original Kit Bag daily that has quickly become my favorite piece of gear. I carry a 5" PPQ Q5 in there with TLR-1, spare mag, knife, small FAK, and other items I may have with me like wallet, keys, and cell phone. I like it enough that I'm planning on getting a Runners kit bag for my day to day stuff, and make the original one a "go bag" of sorts that will pair with my HPG Connor v2. I can have my rifle folded in the backpack and a fullsize pistol on my chest and no one is the wiser.

That’s great, but I’m a visual person.... post up pics when you get a chance so we can see what you’ve got and how well it lays out.

drsal
11-26-20, 20:16
I'm a minimalist of sorts. I carry almost nothing in my vehicle the does fit in small sling backpack. Basically, a flash light, water bottle, fixed blade knife, two spare 21 rd mags (for edc glock 19 RMR), baseball cap, ear pro, eye pro, pepper spray, small 'boo boo' kit & black zip up hoodie. That's it. registration and insurance cards are wallet sized. If, due to most unfortunate and unavoidable circumstances I need to abandon my vehicle, I can exit vehicle and discreetly blend into the environment or shoot my way out of it. That is my "go bag".

Dr. Bullseye
11-27-20, 12:26
Firearms aside, I have a three day pack. I am also the minimalist's minimalist, so: Russian potato sack pack, tube tent (self made) three days dry food, canteen, clothes on my back--spare socks and underwear, energy pills, homemade cooking gear, boots, two space blankets, two plastic rain ponchos, KA-Bar, knee-elbow pads, battle belt holding six mags, mosquito head covering, fire starters, thermal camo cloak, hat, lots of little items, lube for rifle. I need a section of roll-up commercial insulation for a sleeping pad. There will be some throw-in items like hearing protection. I bought this all at the surplus store or on-line for next to nothing.

Stickman
11-29-20, 14:49
HAVE A PLAN

The below pic is more of a place holder than anything, but the intent is to showcase plans outside the house are important. Plans are just as important as the equipment you own, or have access to.

Lets start with your house. Have you ever had to shoot someone inside your house? What about shooting someone or firing warning shots on your property? Lots of guys have deployed, but their families have not. YOUR personal plan starts with your household members, and persons likely to be at your house. If you fire rounds off without warning does your spouse notice? Does your spouse freak out? Does your spouse come running outside screaming your name? Do the dog(s) get released outside when there is a threat? What happens to any small children who are outside?

How long does it take you to access a firearm, high intensity flashlight, first aid kit, phone, and fire extinguisher? Does everyone in the house have direct knowledge of where those things are, and how to use them? Lets move past the idea of a riot or zombie apocalypse, and think of an accident in the house where a car falls or rolls onto you, a circular saw eats your hand, or a stray round catches you in the ribs (hunter or gang banger)...

You are certainly more likely to be the victim of an accident than having to shoot someone. Medical aid is a real concern, even if you only have the basics, do you know how to plug a wound or pinch an injury off with direct pressure? Does your spouse deal with blood and high stress very well? How about yourself? The first time you see yourself spurting blood you are probably going to be having a different feeling than regular cuts and bruises. At least have ice packs in the freezer, gauze, and wraps. Please, don't neglect this.

If you have kids consider making a trauma box for them. No, you don't need your kids popping IVs to all their neighborhood friends, but being able to clean and dress basic wounds at an early age is a blessing when they grow up. Any time I am cut or hurt and my nieces are over, I make a big act of hurting really bad and smear the blood all over. The kids have to act, figure out what to do, and dress the injury site. These kids are now more ruthless than a pissed off army medic. They sternly tell me to be silent, then make me state what the injury is from, then be silent again. They scrub wounds clean on me, and my understanding is they are awesome and compassionate when they fix each other.

The above are just a few things to think about, and regardless of what people tell you, you don't rise to the occasion of crisis. People tend to sink to their lowest level of training and that is what we are looking to work with. Fire drills, intruder drills, injury drills and the list goes on and on. If you make them into games, or keep the "training" to 5 minute blocks, the family should do pretty well.

https://64.media.tumblr.com/cb5122c39c03346c7e5aecb0242835f1/679678b0fba8be1e-54/s1280x1920/e0a8b4cce69ea98c7ee5f7a66b9e9d982197ed30.jpg

HardToHandle
11-29-20, 16:51
The kids have to act, figure out what to do, and dress the injury site. These kids are now more ruthless than a pissed off army medic. They sternly tell me to be silent, then make me state what the injury is from, then be silent again. They scrub wounds clean on me, and my understanding is they are awesome and compassionate when they fix each other.

I like it. I grew up with my Dad doctoring people at church picnics and such with whatever was handy, usually black electric tape. If it was real serious, his old doctors’ style bag came out, which had some potent pharmaceutical magic and a field staple kit. Made a mark on me by age 7-8 - you don’t need much, but having the right stuff made a difference.

My kids get exposed to blood and minor at-home wound treatment whenever possible. Adding a boo-boo kit to their school pack is timely - they already have “emergency” face masks and a flashlight.

Evel Baldgui
11-29-20, 20:24
Go gear has several different connotations. Go bag /gear at home for emergency evacuation, such as flooding, forest fire, brutal acute natural disaster type situation, vs emergency bag in vehicle when traveling long distances, road trips, vs. edc items in car for urgent situation of choice occurring in your specific environment. Similar to an earlier post, I carry practically nothing in my vehicle, except a water bottle and phone charger. City map, registration /insurance cards in small envelope in center consul, with spare 21 rd mag.That's it. On person, usual etc: Glock, flashlight, fixed blade, lighter, mini pocket 'boo boo' kit, (band aids alcohol wipes, visine eyedrops, a few 800mg Advil) baseball cap, mini multi-tool,bandana in pocket. Everything fits in cargo pockets. Though, I will now add a lightweight hoodie as a just in case. Simple rapid ambulatory items in case some untoward event transpired and vehicle inoperable due to_____ (fill in circumstances of choice).

Stickman
01-25-21, 12:04
Check out the below link for ideas in how to get padding onto your gear and be more comfortable.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?228210-Padding-for-your-LBE-LBV-or-other-gear

https://64.media.tumblr.com/7fc502e3d3e597cfbffd8c3223c0c76f/dd7f0fede3d58c32-d9/s1280x1920/e19ce4070df2c1c5665ba9230c5d28b6af4b9a94.jpg

https://64.media.tumblr.com/cf8a933b2b4291e56b643a5fe8d7077c/ab5163c017b43c11-69/s1280x1920/6530f2541081b6b7def9ee7a61c134d814008b66.jpg

chuckman
01-25-21, 12:30
HAVE A PLAN

The below pic is more of a place holder than anything, but the intent is to showcase plans outside the house are important. Plans are just as important as the equipment you own, or have access to.

Lets start with your house. Have you ever had to shoot someone inside your house? What about shooting someone or firing warning shots on your property? Lots of guys have deployed, but their families have not. YOUR personal plan starts with your household members, and persons likely to be at your house. If you fire rounds off without warning does your spouse notice? Does your spouse freak out? Does your spouse come running outside screaming your name? Do the dog(s) get released outside when there is a threat? What happens to any small children who are outside?

How long does it take you to access a firearm, high intensity flashlight, first aid kit, phone, and fire extinguisher? Does everyone in the house have direct knowledge of where those things are, and how to use them? Lets move past the idea of a riot or zombie apocalypse, and think of an accident in the house where a car falls or rolls onto you, a circular saw eats your hand, or a stray round catches you in the ribs (hunter or gang banger)...

You are certainly more likely to be the victim of an accident than having to shoot someone. Medical aid is a real concern, even if you only have the basics, do you know how to plug a wound or pinch an injury off with direct pressure? Does your spouse deal with blood and high stress very well? How about yourself? The first time you see yourself spurting blood you are probably going to be having a different feeling than regular cuts and bruises. At least have ice packs in the freezer, gauze, and wraps. Please, don't neglect this.

If you have kids consider making a trauma box for them. No, you don't need your kids popping IVs to all their neighborhood friends, but being able to clean and dress basic wounds at an early age is a blessing when they grow up. Any time I am cut or hurt and my nieces are over, I make a big act of hurting really bad and smear the blood all over. The kids have to act, figure out what to do, and dress the injury site. These kids are now more ruthless than a pissed off army medic. They sternly tell me to be silent, then make me state what the injury is from, then be silent again. They scrub wounds clean on me, and my understanding is they are awesome and compassionate when they fix each other.

The above are just a few things to think about, and regardless of what people tell you, you don't rise to the occasion of crisis. People tend to sink to their lowest level of training and that is what we are looking to work with. Fire drills, intruder drills, injury drills and the list goes on and on. If you make them into games, or keep the "training" to 5 minute blocks, the family should do pretty well.

https://64.media.tumblr.com/cb5122c39c03346c7e5aecb0242835f1/679678b0fba8be1e-54/s1280x1920/e0a8b4cce69ea98c7ee5f7a66b9e9d982197ed30.jpg

This is good, something we only recently, in past few months, really talked about. My kids, they are all down on the medical stuff (because of what I do). But my bedroom is the furthest from any point of entry into the house...a booger-eater would need to get past everyone by the time they got to my room; conversely, I would have to go past my kids' rooms to go downstairs. We've talked about where to hide, egress out the window (same as fire), etc., as well as RP 1 and 2; where to go if I am down, if mom is down, etc. Now we're talking about what to do on drives through the city: "OK, we have to scatter, where are you going? How? Who do we know who lives near here?" If for no other reason these things help develop critical thinking.

HardToHandle
01-25-21, 17:06
To the original intent of the thread, the Portland Oregon news reports are always an educational experience.
The Anfifa/other folks coming out to party do so with the expectation of being on foot for some time and generally being there to party. Maybe there are lessons to be learned.

I believe these are from the 2pm on Wednesday riots last week:

Stickman
01-27-21, 14:50
To the original intent of the thread, the Portland Oregon news reports are always an educational experience.
The Anfifa/other folks coming out to party do so with the expectation of being on foot for some time and generally being there to party. Maybe there are lessons to be learned.

I believe these are from the 2pm on Wednesday riots last week:

Are they using "Right Guard" in their masks?

The lower pic shows what looks to be a black powder explosive device, which makes him a legit target for lethal force.

Boy Scout
01-27-21, 17:50
So does the knife and the expandable baton. We’re only one “AntiFa schlub catching legitimate rounds in the face” away from open conflict...

wrenchhead12
10-07-21, 10:17
I did something similar with boxes I bought off the Snap-on truck and used masking tape to make labels.

Stickman
10-07-21, 10:44
I did something similar with boxes I bought off the Snap-on truck and used masking tape to make labels.

Just saw this now, I've seen similar ones at Harbor Freight. Sorry for the late reply!!

john armond
10-07-21, 13:46
Quick tip with marking the boxes. After you write with the sharpie, cover over your writing with a piece of scotch tape. It will keep the writing visible much longer.

wrenchhead12
10-07-21, 14:07
Just saw this now, I've seen similar ones at Harbor Freight. Sorry for the late reply!!
No problem. The Snap-on truck comes by my shop every week so it saved me a trip. It’s no problem with late reply. I’m still figuring out how the site works.

Stickman
10-07-21, 14:10
Quick tip with marking the boxes. After you write with the sharpie, cover over your writing with a piece of scotch tape. It will keep the writing visible much longer.

Can't believe I haven't been doing that! Thank you!!

Diamondback
10-07-21, 16:54
IIRC Imminent Threat Solutions had a writeup on a similar box that included full BCG's and recoil assemblies too, albeit a bigger heavier case.

Stickman
10-09-21, 16:54
IIRC Imminent Threat Solutions had a writeup on a similar box that included full BCG's and recoil assemblies too, albeit a bigger heavier case.

The better way to go IMHO is having multiple cases. Small cases fit anywhere, large cases become a matter of how much room is left. I agree we need complete supplies, but part of that is management of our needs and uses. For example, I have one box which is all BCM LPKs broken down into parts. Nothing but BCM goes in, so that box is a known commodity. Other boxes are mixes of parts. I do have Glock and SW parts on hand as well, but AR stuff is more what lends itself to needing spares when the political climate is considered.

Diamondback
10-09-21, 19:44
Good points, Stick; I'm thinking BCG's would go into an "UPK box" and buffer tubes/assemblies "LPK," which would reduce the number of "space eaters" in each unless you're also keeping stripped uppers in there. (In which case sticking each BCG into an upper would save space... but at that rate you might as well just box 'em as prebuilt unbarreled uppers.)

Stickman
10-10-21, 10:35
Good points, Stick; I'm thinking BCG's would go into an "UPK box" and buffer tubes/assemblies "LPK," which would reduce the number of "space eaters" in each unless you're also keeping stripped uppers in there. (In which case sticking each BCG into an upper would save space... but at that rate you might as well just box 'em as prebuilt unbarreled uppers.)

Agreed, and if for some reason someone wanted to keep a BCG, Upper, and CH, those items could simply be placed into each other. No reason to store them separate.

Rayd8
10-21-21, 20:40
Perhaps not the most compact, but I've been using a few of the Plano 6340 cases (11x7x1.75"). I like the 3 latches that keep it secure and they stack nicely in my range bags (even the small one). I did cut some of the plastic to fit larger items like BCGs, etc.

I update these as I figure out what I need or don't have at a class, range, etc, this is the current configuration:

https://i.imgur.com/t1lyaYM.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/AyIxFBI.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/HD8PYGc.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/A4B3E35.jpg

okie
10-22-21, 00:17
As a civilian, I think the most important thing is that your loadout is 100% seamless. How do you know if your loadout is seamless. Easy! Simply ask yourself, can it tell a story? For example:

Me? Tactical? Not a chance, man, I'm just a funky musician on his way to a gig at the local hipster house. Oh and BTW, do you know where I might score some ganja? Gotta get in the right headspace for my next antifa meeting.

https://i.imgur.com/AuKJoso.jpg

And while they're assuming my rad vest is to transport my vaping rig, extra lipo batteries, and ganja juice pods in assorted tropical flavors, little do they know I'm ready to operate operationally AF!

https://i.imgur.com/RCBw6jy.jpg

Oh and BTW commie scum, that ain't no keyboard in that there keyboard bag.

https://i.imgur.com/9G5XpPt.jpg

Time to call in the boogaloo boys? Just gotta find a tree or flagpole and reinforcements are otw!

https://i.imgur.com/6Sls1hx.jpg

Uh oh, now shit's gettin' real yo. Cover me, fam, gotta upgrade real quick.

https://i.imgur.com/YhySAuJ.jpg

That's a full loadout BTW. 7 mags, ECH helmet, comprehensive IFAK, SAPI plates with MBAV backers, MSAP side plates with Crye backers. The armor can be worn concealed, with or without rifle plates. With plates it conceals under a jacket or hoodie. Without plates, it conceals under a polo shirt. The chest rig is completely independent of the armor. It can be worn over it or instead of it.

Everything but the armor fits either on my person or in that keyboard bag. The helmet is the only thing that can't be concealed. Haven't figured that one out yet (bowling ball bag maybe?) The night vision breaks down and fits in the vest pockets. The chest rig and rifle will fit in the keyboard bag. The keyboard bag also has shoulder straps that are reasonably comfortable.

Oh shit balls, I hear a helicopter, and it definitely sounds black. Shackleford out.

Rayd8
10-22-21, 06:37
As a civilian, I think the most important thing is that your loadout is 100% seamless. How do you know if your loadout is seamless. Easy! Simply ask yourself, can it tell a story? For example:

Me? Tactical? Not a chance, man, I'm just a funky musician on his way to a gig at the local hipster house. Oh and BTW, do you know where I might score some ganja? Gotta get in the right headspace for my next antifa meeting.

I dig the brown grey man approach and I've started accumulating less multicam and more tan, grey and green.

okie
10-22-21, 08:25
I dig the brown grey man approach and I've started accumulating less multicam and more tan, grey and green.

Sometimes to be the gray man you have to rock a psychedelic tacocat shirt.:laugh:

My philosophy on camo is that anything inherently overt should be camo. So like the plate carrier and chest rig, for example. Either those are going to be hidden under clothes in which case it doesn't matter, or they're going to be sticking out like a sore thumb and it still doesn't matter.

Street clothes I buy in subdued colors for dual use hunting, and also hunter's camo that doubles as casual attire (when in Rome lol). So like all my jackets are darker shades of green or hunter's camo. Columbia, Arcteryx, etc. Looks completely normal walking around town and blends with nature reasonably well, especially if all your overt gear is multicam. I'm lucky here too because local culture says that walking around town in hunter's camo is more normal than not.