PDA

View Full Version : M4 Buffer

Billy Butcher
11-28-20, 02:16
Good morning, I’m looking for recommendations for a Buffer weight for a M4 with a 12inch barrel. It currently has a 2.9 oz and I read I my see improvements with a heavier one. Any thoughts? Ammunition is standard 55 grain.223

gaijin
11-28-20, 06:43
It will depend on a combination of factors; how is your barrel gassed, the .223 you refer to- will it be the ONLY ammo you're shooting(?).
It would be advisable to set your Carbine/Pistol up to function with milspec ammo (m193 as example) in addition to the .223 you mention.
You never know what may be available down the road.

What barrel are you using, manufacturer?

I'd consider a BRT gas tube if your barrel is overgassed (which it probably is), in combination with an H1 buffer. I run an H2 with Clints BRT gas tube on an 11.5" BCM. It is exceptionally soft shooting with m193 and mk 262.
I would get an H2 and try it. You can always remove one og the Tungsten weights and replace with a Steel weight from your Carbine/current buffer- which will be an H1 buffer.

Check this; https://blackrivertactical.ecwid.com/BRT-EZTUNE-Gas-Tube-Configurable-Carbine-p103167251

prepare
11-28-20, 06:53
H2 with a Sprinco Blue buffer spring.

AndyLate
11-28-20, 07:50
What kind of improvements are you anticipating?

Who made the gun/barrel? Tell us a little more about it.

By the way, welcome and M4s have 14.5" barrels.

Andy

11-28-20, 08:07
What’s wrong with the gun in its current state?

markm
11-28-20, 08:34
H2 buffer for sure. I don't mess with non-Colt/spec buffer springs.

The H2 is a good starting point before you even look at gas issues.

Billy Butcher
11-28-20, 09:12
Mil Spec by Colt 12.5 Barrel SOCOM Model.

Billy Butcher
11-28-20, 09:20
What’s wrong with the gun in its current state?
Nothing just playing around.

11-28-20, 09:33

In that case, I’d suggest buying a a few tungsten weights and subbing them in and see what happens. Or if you don’t have/don’t want to buy a roll pin punch, do what Markm said and buy a H2 buffer. Or, leave it alone.

VLODPG
11-28-20, 11:17

There is an old saying: " How do you keep a hard on? Don't f**k with it!"

SeriousStudent
11-28-20, 13:02
What kind of improvements are you anticipating?

Who made the gun/barrel? Tell us a little more about it.

By the way, welcome and M4s have 14.5" barrels.

Andy

Hi Andy,

The OP is not in the US. So he can have really cool toys. :)

Billy Butcher
11-28-20, 13:14
Hi Andy, the barrel say 5.56 NATO. 1:7

prepare
11-28-20, 13:16
H2 buffer for sure. I don't mess with non-Colt/spec buffer springs.

The H2 is a good starting point before you even look at gas issues.

Whats the colt spec on buffer springs?

markm
11-28-20, 13:19
Whats the colt spec on buffer springs?

I don't know the technical specs, but they're SS. Even though I live in the desert, I still don't mess with those CS springs. I just grab Colt springs from Brownells.

DG23
11-28-20, 19:20
I don't know the technical specs, but they're SS. Even though I live in the desert, I still don't mess with those CS springs. I just grab Colt springs from Brownells.

I used to like / prefer those as well until I tried a few JP springs...

Have plenty of new Colt springs now that will never be used by me unless I run out of JP springs AND they go under and I cant get more. (neither likely to happen)

Disciple
11-28-20, 20:10
I used to like / prefer those as well until I tried a few JP springs...

Have plenty of new Colt springs now that will never be used by me unless I run out of JP springs AND they go under and I cant get more. (neither likely to happen)

Do you mean the JP Silent Captured replacement buffer system, or do you mean a spring that works with carbine or A5 buffers?

AndyLate
11-29-20, 00:55
Hi Andy, the barrel say 5.56 NATO. 1:7

I run H2 buffers in my carbine gassed 11.3" and 14.5" guns. They are reliable using mild .223 to full power 5.56.

If you are shooting .223 ammunition, your H1 buffer really should be good to go.

Andy

Billy Butcher
11-29-20, 02:53
Thanks Andy, what difference would I see between a H1 & H2. Again 12 inch barrel .223
Thanks

AndyLate
11-29-20, 09:16
Thanks Andy, what difference would I see between a H1 & H2. Again 12 inch barrel .223
Thanks

This is opinion based on my observations and understanding of theory - I'm not a subject matter expert.

Observed - increasing the reciprocating mass by using a heavier buffer smoothes the recoil cycle. The sights/optic move slightly less in relationship to the target in recoil. Recoil is spread over a longer period and "feels" softer.

Theory - the heavier buffer allows the bolt to remain locked longer after firing, reducing cyclic rate/bolt carrier velocity and resulting in better reliability and less parts wear/breakage. The heavier buffer also assists in chambering subsequent rounds purely through mass and the "dead blow" effect of the moveable buffer weights. The lower carrier velocity allows more time for the magazine to move the next round into position for feeding.

You are running a quality AR and firing .223, not the higher pressure 5.56 ammunution. I would expect an H2 buffer would make your recoil feel a little smoother, reduce parts wear (not significantly), and increase reliability (also not significantly).

I would also say that the money for the H2 buffer would be better spent on magazines or ammunition. You said your AR is "Mil Spec by Colt 12.5 Barrel SOCOM Model". You bought a quality gun and it simply does not need any changes like heavy buffers etc.

Again, the opinion of a recreational shooter, not SME.

Andy

11-29-20, 09:28
I would also say that the money for the H2 buffer would be better spent on magazines or ammunition. You said your AR is "Mil Spec by Colt 12.5 Barrel SOCOM Model". You bought a quality gun and it simply does not need any changes like heavy buffers etc.

Again, the opinion of a recreational shooter, not SME.

Andy

This. Unless of course the weapon has an Auto/Burst option, in which case an H2 buffer should be used (and probably would have come with the gun). In semi, I’m not convinced H1 vs H2 is worth thinking about or spending money on, unless funds are flowing freely.

DG23
11-29-20, 11:01
Do you mean the JP Silent Captured replacement buffer system, or do you mean a spring that works with carbine or A5 buffers?

These:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1069416858

Center-less ground, polished, tuned. Works with regular buffers you already have...

When I bought my first one I was reading the reviews and one said something to the effect of, 'Thought I just got scammed when I clicked the button to buy one of these. A lot of money for a spring. Then I received it and put it to use... Very pleased with purchase'.

I had a drawer in the toolbox filled with both Colt and DPMS replacement springs (carbine and rifle length). Enough to never need a spring again for anything...

After trying out the first JP spring in a carbine most all of the new DPMS springs were given away as gifts to friends and pretty much every rifle or carbine I had got a JP spring installed. Even new / unfired Colts I had got JP springs installed. :)

Now I have 2 drawers in the tool box for buffer springs. The one full of Colt springs that never got used (but not willing to just 'give away' as gifts) and the other drawer full of replacement JP springs. (rifle and carbine) :dirol:

https://i.imgur.com/Xp2w5bG.jpg

Most noticeable / immediate difference for me is that these do not oscillate after the bolt is sent home like a Colt spring. There is no 'sproing' sound or feel at all. Very, very smooth travel inside buffer tubes. On my rigs with NiB carriers - It is just not right how smooth everything feels when cycling.

As far as buffers are concerned - It is sometimes more cost effective to buy a few H3 buffers and pull them apart for the weights. If you already have carbine buffers laying around you can easily mix those buffer weights around to make whatever you want. (H1, H2, H3)

A few tiny dots of Dykem will stick around plenty fine so you can id what is what later without much effort.

https://i.imgur.com/id3cQod.jpg

Billy Butcher
11-30-20, 05:52
Thanks Andy I appreciate your thoughts 👍🏻

1986s4
11-30-20, 07:33
I've been using a JP captured action spring for almost a year now. It's super smooth when cycling, noticeable when you first try it. Word from the competition guys is that it is very durable and at the current ammo prices it's going to last my lifetime. I removed the buffer retaining pin after I got it, being captured it doesn't need one.

wanderson
12-02-20, 08:34
I recommend the tungsten weights, hammer & punch is all that’s needed & easy to swap.
Most of mine are H2s or H3s. Really more how it feels than anything else.