PDA

View Full Version : Need some good advice about Ammo selection for .223/5.56 16" Carbines

Will M&P15
12-02-08, 18:08
I am kinda new to this AR 15 Patrol Rifle Stuff my agency along with some of the other LEO's Purchased S&W M&P 15 Rifles with the 16" Bbl and 6 posistion stocks. I am looking at selecting ammunition for both training and duty use. Since I am involved in the Firearms training Program for handguns and shotguns I was asked to look at what ammo to purchase and try out. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what would be best for an all around patrol /tactical duty round and a fmj round for training that would duplicate its performance. I know some brands have to better than others and I dont want to spend 4 mos gathering and shooting 30 types of ammo. The smith M&P 15's have a 1/9 twist ..? What options do I have as far as to the grain of bullets I can use with good results...?

thanks for any advice you offer from what you guys have tried.

czydj
12-02-08, 19:20
Look at what DocGKR has to say here.

http://www.tacticalforums.com/cgi-bin/tacticalubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=78;t=000440

Yes, the site is worth joining to read it!

markm
12-03-08, 07:25
The XM193 ammo from Federal and the Q3131 ammo from Winchester seem to be the round that would fit your requirements.

I've read a few guys replies here that indicate that Q3131 is their department's load.

TOrrock
12-03-08, 07:31
Doc has his own forum here as well.

https://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=91

docholliday
12-03-08, 15:57
Hornady Tap ammo might be an option. I handload Hornady 68gr bthp for my 1/8 twist Rock River and they shoot great

Will M&P15
12-03-08, 20:54
The thing that has me puxzzled is that I have read where the heavier grain bullets dont shoot well out of the 1/9 twist rifles...? I not sure how much you can gou up in weight and still get good performance.

czydj
12-04-08, 04:28
Doc has his own forum here as well.

https://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=91

check that out! way cool... :D

ar-junkie
12-05-08, 17:29
I am kinda new to this AR 15 Patrol Rifle Stuff my agency along with some of the other LEO's Purchased S&W M&P 15 Rifles with the 16" Bbl and 6 posistion stocks. I am looking at selecting ammunition for both training and duty use. Since I am involved in the Firearms training Program for handguns and shotguns I was asked to look at what ammo to purchase and try out. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what would be best for an all around patrol /tactical duty round and a fmj round for training that would duplicate its performance. I know some brands have to better than others and I dont want to spend 4 mos gathering and shooting 30 types of ammo. The smith M&P 15's have a 1/9 twist ..? What options do I have as far as to the grain of bullets I can use with good results...?

thanks for any advice you offer from what you guys have tried.

Yes most all MP-15s I have ever seen are 1:9 twist, they may all be. Ammo oracle has a lot about barrel twist rates and which bullets are best for that twist. I will list the link at the end. Personally in MY OPINION with MY RIFLE I have found it shoots 55-68 grain bullets perfectly, always hitting where I aim, no keyhole or whatever. I also have an MP-15t.

What does "your agency" suggest? Most law enforcement has to follow guidelines as far as what is allowed to be used and what is not in reguards to ammo. You mean to tell me you are law enforcement that has gotten ar-15 rifles, training with that rifle, but have not trained you on what bullets to use that would be most effective? They don't teach you that?

Also, people saying that Q3131 Winchester 5.56 ammo is used by law enforcement bothers me. The overpenetration of a full metal jacket is very high compaired to ballistic, softpoint, or hollowpoint ammo, which kills the guy just as good if not better than full metal jacket.

My best advise...... If you really are law enforcement like you state you can buy from the company's law enforcement only ammo. Federal Tactical, Winchester Ranger, and Hornady TAP are just a few on the list they have available to LEO only that some of us would almost DIE FOR to be able to get with your access. This is a company rule, not a law, so civilians can get it too, just not from the company like you can. Its not cheap, even for Law Enforcement, but some of the ammo is "priceless" to some of the folks on this site.

http://www.razoreye.net/mirror/ammo-oracle/AR15_com_Ammo_Oracle_Mirror.htm

ammo oracle

markm
12-06-08, 07:37
Hornady Tap ammo might be an option. I handload Hornady 68gr bthp for my 1/8 twist Rock River and they shoot great

Hornady TAP would be a poor choice for his criteria due to cost and availability. If I'm reading his requirement right, a standard round for training and duty is optimal.

M193 fits the requirement perfectly. Although there are some better premium defensive rounds out there. M193 can not be beat for a general purpose round.