PDA

View Full Version : Red dot on shotguns

Diesel79
12-02-20, 09:29
For those using shotguns are you putting red dots in them? I use my M4 for a HD weapon and have only used the irons. Thinking about buying a ADM low mount and putting my Trijicon MRO on it.

rdcwannabe
12-02-20, 11:36
I've thought about doing it, but it just seems weird to me. I'm rocking a Mossberg 500 pump and it would feel wrong for me. I don't know.

ggammell
12-02-20, 13:42
For those using shotguns are you putting red dots in them? I use my M4 for a HD weapon and have only used the irons. Thinking about buying a ADM low mount and putting my Trijicon MRO on it.

That’ll work fine.

GH41
12-02-20, 14:33
Don't listen to me.... I don't even like sights on shotguns! I point not aim them. If the gun fits you reasonably well and you practice enough it will be pointed where you are looking when you mount it. When you put the MRO on it your face will be way off of the stock. (Height of the optic) I guess you could jack the comb up and make it half ass work.

titsonritz
12-02-20, 15:24
I have an Aimpoint Micro with an Aridus Rob Haught Mod CROM Aperture on my 1301. It allows co-witness with the iron sights and is an awesome setup. My iron sighted 870 collects dust these days.

titsonritz
12-02-20, 15:27
Don't listen to me.... I don't even like sights on shotguns! I point not aim them. If the gun fits you reasonably well and you practice enough it will be pointed where you are looking when you mount it. When you put the MRO on it your face will be way off of the stock. (Height of the optic) I guess you could jack the comb up and make it half ass work.

Which is a big reason I love my CROM, by the time you put on a rail and a mount your optic is skying up there.

Diesel79
12-02-20, 15:28
I have an Aimpoint Micro with an Aridus Rob Haught Mod CROM Aperture on my 1301. It allows co-witness with the iron sights and is an awesome setup. My iron sighted 870 collects dust these days.

I’ve got a Langdon tactical 1301 on order with that same sight/mount for a Trijicon RMR. I might just keep the irons on the M4 and get an RMR for the LTT 1301. Or if I only had endless money I could get a scalar sync with an optic for the m4 and another optic for the 1301.

gunnerblue
12-02-20, 20:24
I've used an Eotech on a railed 870 Police. Cheek weld was more like chin weld which is a huge pet peeve of mine so I switched back to irons. Something like the CROM mount looks like a very good way to alleviate this.

Red*Lion
12-04-20, 18:35
I have a vortex red/green dot Strikefire II on my Vepr 12. I have been using the combo for whitetail hunting primarily, but getting a pretty good number of shells through it just shooting. An excellent pairing that is accurate and bullet proof. I wouldn't give up my Vepr for any other combat shotgun.

3 AE
12-05-20, 16:21
After replacing an Aimpoint H-1 with a 3x prism scope on my 6920, I decided to try it out on my 870 that is fitted with Magpul furniture. I removed the spacer on the BOBRO 1/3 co-witness QD mount and mounted the H-1 to the QD base to get the sight lower. Attached a MESA Tactical 4 round sidesaddle shell carrier with built in Picatinny rail to the 870's receiver. After mounting the H-1, noticed it was a little bit high and prevented me from getting a solid cheek weld. Corrected that by installing a Magpul .75" SGA High Cheek Riser to the stock.

Even with my slight astigmatism, the H-1 improved my accuracy when shooting 1 oz. slugs out to 50 yards and also kept my patterns centered using 00 buck out to 25 yards. Should the H-1 go South on me, I can quickly remove it and use the shallow notches cut into the rail top as an alignment channel out to the front bead sight. This combo has worked out well for me, but it only has 25 rounds of slugs and 100 rounds of 00 buck through it. I have no idea if the H-1 Micro will hold up in the long run to the recoil of a 12 Gauge pump shotgun even when using low recoil rounds. Only time will tell I guess.

Eurodriver
12-07-20, 10:46
I don’t “point” anything. I “aim”. I have shot trap, skeet, 1oz slugs at 50y, #5 at running rabbits and #4 buckshot papered at 25y all with a red dot equipped 590A1 SPX and can say with certainty that red dots are absolutely the way of the future for shotguns.

I mean, they are for pistols, rifles, and submachineguns. Why wouldn’t they be for Shotguns too?

I have not found a negative about it yet.

Do it. I am running an H2 in a factory mount pictured but now run an Aimpoint TL in a Larue mount.

https://i.ibb.co/kK0wscW/EAF0-DA88-9133-40-C8-BE19-3-F2-EA5228916.jpg

SeriousStudent
12-07-20, 11:16
I am working on a thread to sticky, called "Basic and Advanced Shotguns".

Here's short version because I am busy with the minions at work: I think a used Aimpoint H1 Micro is the sweet spot for price, durability and ability.

Put it on a timer. Can you hit 00-Buck out to 20 yards and keep them all well within the chest, and do it faster with a RDS? Also, can you put a slug into a forehead at 25 yards quickly with an RDS?

For me, the answer is always yes. I'm a shotgun guy. I have carried them, taught them, and used them. I have 13 different 12-gauge shotguns. Five of them have an Aimpoint Micro on them. The others are teaching guns.

With my Beretta 1301 and an H-1, I can put all eight pellets of a Federal Reduced Recoil Flite Control round into an head-sized target out to 18 yards. I can put all 8 pellets into a chest out to 26 yards.

That's zero flyers. That's also pretty damn effective.

Test it just like anything else - design a drill, and run it on a timer with and without an RDS. Those of you who have never even looked through an RDS on a shotgun might want to try it before passing judgement. Until then, you are announcing the conclusion of your experiment before you even test the hypothesis or gather data.

SeriousStudent
12-07-20, 11:19
I don’t “point” anything. I “aim”. I have shot trap, skeet, 1oz slugs at 50y, #5 at running rabbits and #4 buckshot papered at 25y all with a red dot equipped 590A1 SPX and can say with certainty that red dots are absolutely the way of the future for shotguns.

I mean, they are for pistols, rifles, and submachineguns. Why wouldn’t they be for Shotguns too?

Do it. I am running an H2 in a factory mount pictured but now run an Aimpoint TL in a Larue mount.

Euro - just curious. Did you and your guys run a 590 or 590A1 when you were on active duty? We got some of the very first ones issued when I was in.

I do like the "giant ghost ring" effect on that setup you have. I have a couple set up the same way.

Wake27
12-07-20, 12:08
I’ve had my 590 setup with a Vortex Crossfire for a few matches and really like it, aside from the Vortex not being as bright as I’d like. At some point I’ll put the SW Sync on it and probably put the micro Holosun so I can have an Eo reticle. Every time I’ve tried point shooting a shotgun in 3-gun, I’ve missed. Somehow I make it work about half the time for clays though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GH41
12-07-20, 14:42

What do you aim at when shooting trap and skeet?? If you are aiming at the target you probably aren't hitting many of them. I have never seen a trap target that you didn't have to cover or a skeet target you didn't have to lead. How does the dot look against the orange target?

Eurodriver
12-07-20, 15:04
What do you aim at when shooting trap and skeet?? If you are aiming at the target you probably aren't hitting many of them. I have never seen a trap target that you didn't have to cover or a skeet target you didn't have to lead. How does the dot look against the orange target?

Neat! An argument. I’ve only been back for about 8 minutes so it’s fitting

I aim ahead of the clay, of course. Depending on distance and trajectory you can figure out quite quickly how far to lead the target (same as using a front bead) however the dot allows for more precision. It’s really easy going from left to right (I’m right eye dominant and right handed) because you can see exactly where the shot is going in relation to the clay.

Give it 10 years and I bet you’ll see hyper competitive skeet guys all outfitted with RDS. They wouldn’t do it if it hindered them.

kirkland
12-07-20, 15:24
A buddy of mine has an Eotech mounted on his Benelli M4. It's sweeeeeeet!

RKB Armory
12-08-20, 07:43
Actually, I just make the sound of racking a shotgun. The target instantly runs away.

titsonritz
12-08-20, 12:18
Actually, I just make the sound of racking a shotgun. The target instantly runs away.

That's why I got a pump instead of an auto.

Diesel79
12-08-20, 12:35
I’d say the sound of putting a round in the chamber of a semi auto is equally as threatening of sound as racking a pump.

Bantee
12-08-20, 21:31
Pfft...pumps, semi-autos..crazy Joe B says the mere sight of a double barrel shotty is enough to ward off the scariest of evils!!! Sell all that new fangled technology, & get yourself a coach gun!!! (with an Aimpoint T-2 & WML of your choice of course!!) 😁

LowSpeed_HighDrag
12-09-20, 01:42
I had an H1 on a Benelli M4 for quite some time and loved it. Dots make guns easier to shoot fast and accurately, prove me wrong.

kirkland
12-09-20, 04:50
Pfft...pumps, semi-autos..crazy Joe B says the mere sight of a double barrel shotty is enough to ward off the scariest of evils!!! Sell all that new fangled technology, & get yourself a coach gun!!! (with an Aimpoint T-2 & WML of your choice of course!!) ��

Don't forget to step out onto the balcony and fire two blasts into the air.

Ned Christiansen
12-09-20, 10:22
Don't forget to step out onto the balcony and fire two blasts into the air.

....and soon after they've taken everything but the approved double-barrels, which will have to be registered for, you know, everyone's safety, something new will come along. "Why would anyone need a gun with two barrels!?"

You will be required to send it in to have one barrel plugged. Oh you can keep it as a double barrel but only if you NFA-register it as the destructive device it is. Right after they've adjusted the NFA tax for inflation......

https://www.americas1stfreedom.org/media/1534427/aff_ila_australian-gun-control-from-magazine.jpg

titsonritz
12-09-20, 12:33
Right after they've adjusted the NFA tax for inflation......

$200 in 1934 equates to $3,886.39 today

titsonritz
12-09-20, 12:35
I’d say the sound of putting a round in the chamber of a semi auto is equally as threatening of sound as racking a pump.

I hope you realize I was being facetious.

Diesel79
12-10-20, 17:32
I hope you realize I was being facetious.

Of course.

SteveL
12-10-20, 20:23
I decided to try a RDS when I got my 1301 Tactical. I don't have many rounds through it but so far I'm loving it. I'm hoping to get in a shotgun class before long with this setup.

https://i.imgur.com/NZBX5J2.jpg

Diesel79
12-11-20, 06:37
I decided to try a RDS when I got my 1301 Tactical. I don't have many rounds through it but so far I'm loving it. I'm hoping to get in a shotgun class before long with this setup.

https://i.imgur.com/NZBX5J2.jpg

Nice setup, did you put it together or is it from Langdon? I have the same setup coming in Feb from LTT with a RMR CROM mount. I like the Arisaka light mount. Is that a a Malkoff VME head? I’ve got a MD2 I was thinking about using in a Arisaka ring mount. I would like to use my Wildcat but it’s in a MD4 body and is likely too big. It does light up an area like stadium lighting though.

RKB Armory
12-11-20, 14:07
I don't see any reason why a red dot wouldn't be a good addition to a shotgun. I'm surprised it's not more popular.

monty_d_33
12-11-20, 14:57
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20201211/6e469f71d57d88b7e2896106311121f6.jpg

SteveL
12-11-20, 21:01
Nice setup, did you put it together or is it from Langdon? I have the same setup coming in Feb from LTT with a RMR CROM mount. I like the Arisaka light mount. Is that a a Malkoff VME head? I’ve got a MD2 I was thinking about using in a Arisaka ring mount. I would like to use my Wildcat but it’s in a MD4 body and is likely too big. It does light up an area like stadium lighting though.

Thank you. I bought the shotgun and added the accessories. It is a Malkoff VME head. I already had the Arisaka mount, light body, and a clicky tail switch from a Surefire scout light lying around so I bought the Malkoff head so I could make use of the parts I already had. Obviously it doesn't compare with the latest and greatest 1000+ lumen models but it serves its purpose for this particular application.

After I got the gun put together I felt like the optic was a bit high so I got the low cheek riser kit to raise it up a bit. IIRC I ended up using the .5" riser.

Diesel79
12-12-20, 09:09
Thank you. I bought the shotgun and added the accessories. It is a Malkoff VME head. I already had the Arisaka mount, light body, and a clicky tail switch from a Surefire scout light lying around so I bought the Malkoff head so I could make use of the parts I already had. Obviously it doesn't compare with the latest and greatest 1000+ lumen models but it serves its purpose for this particular application.

After I got the gun put together I felt like the optic was a bit high so I got the low cheek riser kit to raise it up a bit. IIRC I ended up using the .5" riser.

Very cool. The Malkoff I plan on using is a N61N. Not a flamethrower but definitely a room lighter indoors with a nice wide beam perfect for HD.

I will have to look at that Magpul cheek risers. Chances are I will want/need something too.

Diesel79
12-12-20, 09:25
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20201211/6e469f71d57d88b7e2896106311121f6.jpg

Nice. I’m thinking I’m gonna go the SRO route with a Sync mount for my M4. Likely SRO on the 1301 too. Gonna have to spread out my spending a little though. Stuff ain’t cheap. Lol

monty_d_33
12-12-20, 09:46
It is not cheap, just about the time I get it the way I want it............then I want something else!