PDA

View Full Version : best 1911 mag for home ?

Impact
12-02-08, 20:03
which one do you recommend ? planning on keeping it loaded all the time .

thanks

toddackerman
12-02-08, 20:26
Tripp Cobra Mag. Clearly the best spring, tube and follower out there. There's a poll on here showing the preference goes to tripp over wilson by a 4 to 1 margin.

www.trippresearch.com

stony275
12-02-08, 20:35
Some advocate the McCormick Powermag tube with the Tripp Research spring and follower.

KevinB
12-02-08, 20:41
CMC Powermag

Wilson Elite

Tripp

No specific order

My old Wilson 10rds I needed to replace the springs and followers with Tripp...

Impact
12-02-08, 20:45
perfect. thanks. Does brownells sell them ? I don't see them under Tripp research.

David Thomas
12-02-08, 20:52
perfect. thanks. Does brownells sell them ?

No, buy them from tripp research.

Based on my experience, they are indeed the best option (also one of the most expensive).

The new Wilson ETMs are an improvement over the 47D's, but not quite on par with the Cobra mags

pics of the cobra's guts:
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=10536&highlight=tripp+research

Impact
12-02-08, 20:55
I have some wilson ETM that came with the gun I purchased so is it worth the upgrade ?

thanks for all the inputs.

David Thomas
12-02-08, 21:05
I have some wilson ETM that came with the gun I purchased so is it worth the upgrade ?

I would be comfortable with the ETM's and like mine just fine. I just like the Cobra better. The follower on the Cobra should hold up better due to the metal contacting the slide stop and the improved (my opinion) method of retaining the base plate.

toddackerman
12-02-08, 21:30
I have some Wilson ETM that came with the gun I purchased so is it worth the upgrade ?

If you're not gong to do a lot of slide lock reloads the first thing on the ETM that will crap out is the spring. Wilson's replacing entire ETM's because the weak springs won't actuate th Slide Stop 100% of the time. Tripps spring is much more stout and I would replace the ETM with the Tripp spring.

If you are going to do a lot of slide lock reloads, then go for the entire Tripp Super 7 upgrade with the proprietary follower with metal Slide Stop engaging edge. But understand that it will reduce the capacity to seven rounds, but you'll have superior internal components.

The reason it reduces the capacity is that the Wilson springs are /048" in diameter and the Tripp springs are .050" in diameter. Also the ETM spring coils inside itself at the bottom which allows the 8th round to go in the tube. But, the ETM is really a 7 round tube in my mind if it won't take a standard wound 14 coil high power spring regardless of whether it's a Tripp or Wolff etc.

You will eventually experience feed lip spread on the Wilson ETM's. I replaced 3 ETM's that spread out of specs (.485" +/- .005" measured at the center of the feed lips) and Wilson didn't even blink. Kind of like they know they still have a tube problem.

I've used the original Wilson Rogers #47 in 1981, and the #47D's and tried the ETM's. All now have the Tripp Super 7 upgrade in them, and I use them for training only. Not CCW.

sff70
12-03-08, 00:36
My experience:

I sent back 16 Wilson 47D's due to feep lip spread (not to mention weak springs and flimsy plastic followers binding in the tubes), and received 16 new ones in return.

Some of the returned mags had very little use.

The new mags are use for PRACTICE ONLY, not for carry.

I've had no such problems with McCormick 8 round "Power Mags". The tube is thicker/stronger, and the spring is stronger, too.

I have five of the 10 round Tripp Mags that I'm still evaluating. So far, so good.

Also had 3 of the Act-Mags, all of which quickly developed cracks in the feed lips at the aft end. Didn't both to waste my time sending them back to the vendor.

lanceriley
12-04-08, 06:25
I have a metalform magazine that's been loaded close to 20 years. works very well. it's a 7 rounder.

I think if you need to buy a mag now. it's going to be the powermag.

although my wilsons never failed me. I think the powermag has better body

Impact
12-06-08, 14:12
how long does it take to get your Tripp Mags fro mtheir website once ordered ? thanks

thinking of picking 2 or 3 10 rounders for my SA.

toddackerman
12-06-08, 15:07
how long does it take to get your Tripp Mags fro mtheir website once ordered ? thanks

thinking of picking 2 or 3 10 rounders for my SA.

Should not be more tthan a week. Because they are a small company, it's best to give them a call after you've placed the order to expedite it a bit. You won't be sorry. While you're at it, pick up a Cobra 8 Rounder.

Impact
12-06-08, 16:44
thanks Todd which ones do you recommend to add to the order ?

DocMinster
12-06-08, 16:47
Tripp Cobra Mag. Clearly the best spring, tube and follower out there. There's a poll on here showing the preference goes to tripp over wilson by a 4 to 1 margin.

www.trippresearch.com

+1

Tripp Cobra Mags are all I own for my 1911

chillindrdude
12-06-08, 18:35
does anyone have any experience with cobra 10rd mags? just as reliable as the 8 rounders?

toddackerman
12-06-08, 19:48
thanks Todd which ones do you recommend to add to t
order ?

Part number: 8R-45-RG www.trippresearch.com