PDA

View Full Version : 2020 Spring Calf Branding Video

OH58D
12-06-20, 15:50
Tired of the normal fare in the General Discussion? Here's four minutes of our Calf Branding from late Spring 2020. On average we can rope and brand 6 calves in 90 seconds if we're running on all cylinders. We're also doing inoculations at the same time. At @ the 2 minute mark, you can see my 6 year old grand daughter, Annika (in the red shirt) waiting her turn to brand. Yes we let her do it and we're not concerned with child labor laws. Also notice no masks or social distancing.....

I present to you Black Mesa Ranch - Roy, New Mexico: (If you click on Vimeo you can make it bigger).

https://vimeo.com/487880145

ST911
12-06-20, 15:58
'Murica. Thanks for another quality contribution, and for a GD thread start that isn't contentious, political, election, or COVID related.

joe138
12-06-20, 17:12
Very Cool

JediGuy
12-06-20, 17:13
That’s cool

OH58D
12-06-20, 17:38
In the video you'll see two pony-tailed females. One is our local Veterinarian and the other is my 17 year old daughter, Hannah. She is training in the large animal area of Veterinary Medicine. You'll see my daughter walking from left to right at the start of the video, then bend over to inoculate a Calf. Her plan is to become a DVM.

jsbhike
12-06-20, 18:45
That is cool! Do you brand tack or other equipment too?

OH58D
12-06-20, 19:30
That is cool! Do you brand tack or other equipment too?
Not on equipment, but it's used on chaps and sometimes the underside of a saddle. Branding on the horses and cattle are the same. One of the ropers in the video has a brand prominent on his chaps.

On part of our herd we have open range with another outfit south/southeast from here. It's Bell Ranch and has 292,000 acres. Our herds get mixed and so it's easy for them as well as us to cut out each other's animals. We're just a tiny place at 25,000 acres, but running 850-950 head still is a lot of work.

jsbhike
12-06-20, 19:37
Not on equipment, but it's used on chaps and sometimes the underside of a saddle. Branding on the horses and cattle are the same. One of the ropers in the video has a brand prominent on his chaps.

I wondered about that. Used to be on a hunting forum with a fellow from Wyoming and he mentioned branding some of his stuff (he had a pic of leather over mitts...chooppers I think?) to prevent it from walking off.

BKennedy
12-07-20, 00:13
Very cool. I used to work a few ranches in west Texas during the springs, looks like a pretty good outfit you’ve got there.
Moved up to northeast Denver last year and I’ve been shocked at how big the cows get up here but I haven’t been horseback in at least a year.
Your video made me homesick.

OH58D
12-07-20, 00:27
Very cool. I used to work a few ranches in west Texas during the springs, looks like a pretty good outfit you’ve got there.
Moved up to northeast Denver last year and I’ve been shocked at how big the cows get up here but I haven’t been horseback in at least a year.
Your video made me homesick.
I think we do have a good outfit, but we've been on this land continuously since the 1750's, but incorporated under US law in 1879 as a company. We're a cow and calf operation of around 900-950 head in a normal period and each Fall we take a portion of the herd to the Amarillo, Texas feedlots to fatten up before sale. Not this year. The processors slowed down or were shut because of COVID, so we went direct to the slaughterhouses. As you know Spring and Fall roundups get busy. The Summer its just moving groups of the herd to different grazing areas. Finally in the Fall we move most of the herd to our Winter graze area which is lower in altitude. Then its a case of tossing hay when the heavy snow comes - trailer loads of hay behind the truck. Other than that, it's pretty slow in the Winter here.

P2Vaircrewman
12-07-20, 08:39
Thanks for the video.

Interesting story about the Bell Ranch from 2008, was it ever sold, if so who are the new owners. Is it still strictly a ranch or has it diversified into public recreational use, hunting, hiking, camping ,etc.

https://www.abqjournal.com/news/state/274234nm01-02-08.htm

Business_Casual
12-07-20, 08:57
Very cool, thanks.

OH58D
12-07-20, 10:01
Thanks for the video.

Interesting story about the Bell Ranch from 2008, was it ever sold, if so who are the new owners. Is it still strictly a ranch or has it diversified into public recreational use, hunting, hiking, camping ,etc.

https://www.abqjournal.com/news/state/274234nm01-02-08.htm
Bell Ranch was purchased, but by out of State owners. We call such owners "absentee owners". However, management of the place are locals, some being there decades. It's still a cattle operation.

Bell Ranch sits primarily south of NM State 419. My ranch sits primarily north of hwy 419. My southern range south of 419 fronts the Canadian River for @ a mile and that our property line borders Bell Ranch on the south and east sides. It's open range there so our cattle get mixed. We have water rights there from the Canadian and we pump water up to stock tanks and drinkers. Bell cattle use our water and grass so during Fall round up, some of our cows get sent to market with theirs. We actually get a yearly check from Bell Ranch for the use of our common range area.

Bell Ranch was part of the same Montoya Land Grant my southern range was part of. Our northern range where I am typing this comes from a mid 1600's land grant, but because of Indian raids, we couldn't establish a permanent home here until the mid 1750s, and we have been here continuously ever since, only incorporating under US law in 1879.

One tidbit of history I find interesting is the fact that in the early to mid 19th Century, there was a settlement of Comancheros just on the other side of the Canadian River from my place. A place where a mix of Spanish, Mexican and White traders sold weapons and supplies to roving bands of Kiowa, Comanches and Apache.

Averageman
12-07-20, 11:34
My folks were on the other side of the State between four corners and Farmington.
When they run some Jack Mormons off, they don't mess around in Utah.
Indian ponies crossed with has been race horses.
Mutton and fry bread.
Well, that and a Navajo girl on a cool night with a campfire and a case of beer and your life will never be the same.
Beautiful country

P2Vaircrewman
12-07-20, 11:58
Looking on Google Earth I think I found you. I also found Canyon Madness Ranch, looks like a nice place if expensive to spend a few days shooting, Horse back riding, and four wheeling.

OH58D
12-07-20, 13:27
My folks were on the other side of the State between four corners and Farmington.
When they run some Jack Mormons off, they don't mess around in Utah.
Indian ponies crossed with has been race horses.
Mutton and fry bread.
Well, that and a Navajo girl on a cool night with a campfire and a case of beer and your life will never be the same.
Beautiful country
I know that area well. I have riverfront land between Aztec and Cedar Hill my dad bought in the 1950's. The area you mention is probably Kirtland, named after Kirtland Young, son of Brigham Young. Started out as a Mormon settlement. I buy hay yearly from the Navajos at Navajo Ag Products on the mesa south of Farmington. My Navajo Wrangler is from Teec Nos Pos, just across the Arizona line.

Looking on Google Earth I think I found you. I also found Canyon Madness Ranch, looks like a nice place if expensive to spend a few days shooting, Horse back riding, and four wheeling.
Canyon Madness Ranch is northwest from me across Canyon Yegua (Horse Canyon). I own all the land south and southeast of it. That place was part of the old Maddox Ranch. My middle name is Maddox, from my Mom's family. It is "Madness" because they have no power - only diesel generators. They're a high dollar developer with big ideas, big money, but no sense. It's not paying for itself....yet. After a heavy rain, it's nearly impossible to get in and out of the place because the road is all clay.

yoni
12-07-20, 13:57
OMG!!!!!!!!!!!

I am in shock, forcing that poor small girl to witness, on a such a scale animal abuse. Roping those calves and then grabbing them by the tail to get them down against their will. Then taking a branding iron, to them with no benefit of pain killer. Oh the horror.... no masks, a super spreader event.

Thank G-D, I saw no guns.

Next your going to tell me you let that poor child see you kill a head of cattle and then butcher it. The therapy she will have to go through.

Just kidding looks like good hard work and also fun.

OH58D
12-07-20, 14:18
OMG!!!!!!!!!!!

I am in shock, forcing that poor small girl to witness, on a such a scale animal abuse. Roping those calves and then grabbing them by the tail to get them down against their will. Then taking a branding iron, to them with no benefit of pain killer. Oh the horror.... no masks, a super spreader event.

Next your going to tell me you let that poor child see you kill a head of cattle and then butcher it. The therapy she will have to go through.

Yoni, here's a real shocker for you. That same little girl (my grand daughter) on a HUGE horse!!!!! Someone call Child Protective Services ASAP. In the photo below you also see the Navajo wife and daughter of my Navajo Wrangler:
https://i.imgur.com/kd7neeUh.jpg

Adrenaline_6
12-07-20, 15:31
Very cool!

P2Vaircrewman
12-08-20, 08:41
OMG!!!!!!!!!!!

There was a slaughter house about 100 yards from our home when I was 4-5 years old and I would wander over and watch them slaughter cattle. They would not let me see the killing but I watched everything else.

P2Vaircrewman
12-08-20, 08:46
I know that area well. I have riverfront land between Aztec and Cedar Hill my dad bought in the 1950's. The area you mention is probably Kirtland, named after Kirtland Young, son of Brigham Young. Started out as a Mormon settlement. I buy hay yearly from the Navajos at Navajo Ag Products on the mesa south of Farmington. My Navajo Wrangler is from Teec Nos Pos, just across the Arizona line.

Canyon Madness Ranch is northwest from me across Canyon Yegua (Horse Canyon). I own all the land south and southeast of it. That place was part of the old Maddox Ranch. My middle name is Maddox, from my Mom's family. It is "Madness" because they have no power - only diesel generators. They're a high dollar developer with big ideas, big money, but no sense. It's not paying for itself....yet. After a heavy rain, it's nearly impossible to get in and out of the place because the road is all clay.

Is the road to your property maintained by the county or by you. Seems it would be an ongoing job in rainy weather if there is such a thing as rainy weather in New Mexico.
I have a private range on the end of a short dirt road and rain keeps me away for weeks at a time.

OH58D
12-08-20, 08:55
Is the road to your property maintained by the county or by you. Seems it would be an ongoing job in rainy weather if there is such a thing as rainy weather in New Mexico.
I have a private range on the end of a short dirt road and rain keeps me away for weeks at a time.
On the Harding County side, it's maintained by the County. On the San Miguel County side, the road runs thru my property, but there is no public access. That County road is named after my mother's family. I maintain that section myself. In a normal year we get 15-17 inches. So far in 2020 we've had half of that.

I am waiting for the folks at Canyon Madness "ranch" to go tits up. The 14,000 acres would be a nice addition back into the family. That property originally belonged to some 2nd cousins of mine. The so-called La Ventana Lane going out there is just gooey clay after it gets wet. Folks going out there could be stuck for days after a rain.

P2Vaircrewman
12-08-20, 11:40
I have a private shooting range accessed by gravel road. I don't own the road up to my property line but have right of passage. The property is land locked. The road's owner, an oil company does the maintenance but is not particularly conscientious about it especially now with the price of oil so low.
I avoid going to shoot for several days after heavy rain.
My grandfather bought the land in 1918 because he suspected there was oil there. He died in 1940 and oil was discovered in the early 1950's. The field is almost played out of oil but has tons of natural gas but it is high sulfur gas and at todays prices not worth the expense to clean it up. Back in the day it produced a lot of $$$, not so much now.

OH58D
12-08-20, 12:49
P2Vaircrewman, sounds like you've got a nice setup for shooting - when the weather is nice. You probably get 80 inches of rain in that area each year, based on the "Louisiana, On I-10 west of NOLA, east of BR". I know that area considering my wife's family are Cajuns. I've sat with the family up on the levee north of Vacherie and south of Burnside watching the shipping go up and down the river. I've been there at Christmas where the bonfires are lit along the river. Great times.

sjoliat
12-08-20, 20:13
Quite interesting. I'm amazed the calves don't get more violent while smoke is billowing off of their hide. Also impressed at how classy the whole operation looks. A definite distinction between ranchers and farmers. Around here you can't tell between the guys that own the farm and the migrants that day-labor for them. Kind of hate to talk down on them because they work their asses off, but Jesus, do they try to look homeless.
Impressive operation, even if it is only 4000x bigger than what I have.

P2Vaircrewman
12-08-20, 20:15
I am in LaPlace on the east bank of the river 15 miles from Vacherie. My son in law's uncle has a home in Lutcher which is across the river from Vacherie. He lives across the highway from the levee and they build a bonfire on the levee every Christmas. If you are ever in my area give me a heads up, maybe we can pop a few caps and tops.

OH58D
12-08-20, 20:25
I am in LaPlace on the east bank of the river 15 miles from Vacherie. My son in law's uncle has a home in Lutcher which is across the river from Vacherie. He lives across the highway from the levee and they build a bonfire on the levee every Christmas. If you are ever in my area give me a heads up, maybe we can pop a few caps and tops.
I just might look you up. If you've lived there all your life you might remember the wreck of the Riverboat Mississippi Queen in December 1985. I had just gotten back from 18 months in and out of Honduras/Nicaragua and was visiting the wife's family for Christmas in Louisiana on a nice 30 day leave. The Mississippi Queen collided with a tug and line of barges and started to sink. The tug Captain detached the barges and pushed the Queen onto a sandbar, rotating it in the opposite direction. Throughout the night, the Tug and other boats ferried passengers to the antebellum Burnside Plantation on the east bank and housed these folks over night.

I went down the next morning at sunrise and took a picture of the Mississippi Queen on the sandbar, leaning to one side. One of those moments to remember.

OH58D
12-08-20, 20:43
Quite interesting. I'm amazed the calves don't get more violent while smoke is billowing off of their hide. Also impressed at how classy the whole operation looks. A definite distinction between ranchers and farmers. Around here you can't tell between the guys that own the farm and the migrants that day-labor for them. Kind of hate to talk down on them because they work their asses off, but Jesus, do they try to look homeless.
Impressive operation, even if it is only 4000x bigger than what I have.
Calf/Cowhide is pretty thick stuff. The only thing they feel is something like long needle injection for a human. Branding is more dramatic for people than the four legged beast.

I don't know about farming in NE Ohio, but out here, the American Cowboy takes pride in what they do and in the little flair in boots they wear. Regarding size of this place, we're really not big at all. 25,000 deeded acres in this part of the world has limits to the number of cattle you raise. The adjacent place to us on the southeast and south has 292,000 acres and @ 3000 head. I'm lucky to keep up with 900 to 950 head. And we have a saying out here:

"We don't run cattle....they run us"

P2Vaircrewman
12-09-20, 08:05
I just might look you up. If you've lived there all your life you might remember the wreck of the Riverboat Mississippi Queen in December 1985. I had just gotten back from 18 months in and out of Honduras/Nicaragua and was visiting the wife's family for Christmas in Louisiana on a nice 30 day leave. The Mississippi Queen collided with a tug and line of barges and started to sink. The tug Captain detached the barges and pushed the Queen onto a sandbar, rotating it in the opposite direction. Throughout the night, the Tug and other boats ferried passengers to the antebellum Burnside Plantation on the east bank and housed these folks over night.

I went down the next morning at sunrise and took a picture of the Mississippi Queen on the sandbar, leaning to one side. One of those moments to remember.

I recall that, it was put back in service and scrapped in 2009 in Houma. There are pieces of it floating around southeast Louisiana as memorabilia .