PDA

View Full Version : 11.5" Barrel ???

223to45
12-08-20, 16:00
So I am looking a building a 11.5" upper. Will probably be suppressed most of the time.

Just wondering when considering a 11.5" barrel,what is there to be aware of or watch out for??

Sorry, never built one this short before ( other then my 300blk).

Currently looking at

11.5 BRT CQB-S
11.5 BCM ELW
11.3 BA Hanson

Thanks.

markm
12-08-20, 16:28
BCM is always a safe bet. Sionics has the reduced gas port (RGP) for just what you're talking about. I run both and like both.

lonestardiver
12-08-20, 16:49
The BA Hanson is pretty good too.

titsonritz
12-08-20, 16:53
SIONICS RGP was my first thought but its hard not to include a Colt HB https://www.gandrtactical.com/Colt-115-Heavy-Barrel-w-FSB_p_2634.html on the list if you can find one in stock. Based on the 12.5" I have I'd say look a Criterion Core series, too.

SonOfAGunn
12-08-20, 18:07
So I am looking a building a 11.5" upper. Will probably be suppressed most of the time.

Just wondering when considering a 11.5" barrel,what is there to be aware of or watch out for??

Currently looking at

11.5 BRT CQB-S
11.5 BCM ELW
11.3 BA Hanson

Thanks.

I built an 11.5" SBR a couple years ago for a defense gun and it usually wearing a suppressor (Surefire Socom RC2). I used a BCM Govt profile barrel, the button rifled not the CHF, for this build. It cycles reliably with brass ejecting at 4 o'clock when unsuppressed. When suppressed it ejects at 3 o'clock with cheap .223 range ammo, but if I bump it up to 5.56 or hotter .223 it starts ejecting at 2. I'm happy with barrel and I'm not upset that it's a little over gassed since It runs well. I've got a MK18 that was made in 2013 or 2014 maybe, so I know what really overgassed is all about. When the 11.5" rifle gets dirty, and I mean pretty gunked up it still runs. I have a milspec spring (BCM) and an H2 buffer in the extension. An H3 buffer may tame it a little, but I haven't tried it yet so I can't say and that's not really something I'm looking to do.

If you're looking for a smoother running gun it's sounding like the sionics or colt may be the ticket if you will running the rifle suppressed.

12-08-20, 18:46
Somebody correct me if I’ve gone batty, but don’t the Sionics RGP, Colt, and BA Hanson all run about the same ~0.070” port size? In any case, I did not find my BA Hanson 11.3” to be overly gassy. It handled a can pretty well, and ran fine without one. However, it became my go-to full time 556 suppressor host, so I choked it down with a EZ Tune tube.

gunnerblue
12-08-20, 19:57
Somebody correct me if I’ve gone batty, but don’t the Sionics RGP, Colt, and BA Hanson all run about the same ~0.070” port size? In any case, I did not find my BA Hanson 11.3” to be overly gassy. It handled a can pretty well, and ran fine without one. However, it became my go-to full time 556 suppressor host, so I choked it down with a EZ Tune tube.

I believe that you're correct, at least in regards to the Sionics. I have a RGP that runs perfectly fine with or without a can (A5H2 buffer, 5.56 and .223 pressure ammo, Saker 5.56K suppressor).

everready73
12-08-20, 20:11
I think Sionics may have changed the specs on the rgp barrel. At least someone measured and stated that in tos. They also have the ergp that is even smaller for suppressed only.

I don't even think they are selling barrels right now due to demand. Assume the barrels are going to uppers or complete guns. I was just looking for a 16"on their site and they don't even have anything listed

JediGuy
12-08-20, 22:19
Currently looking at

11.5 BRT CQB-S
11.5 BCM ELW
11.3 BA Hanson

I have BRT’s dedicated suppressed 11.5 with the EXC gas length. Pretty awesome. Not a lightweight profile, per se, but balances well.

I had the 11.3 .625 BA Hanson. Pretty awesome. Definitely lightweight and the gas was good. Never tried in super cold weather. If I were suppressing, would probably get the .750 profile, which I think would be about the same as the BRT. If not suppressing, I absolutely loved the .625.

BCM is always good, though it seems like they aren’t conservatively gassed. Sionics is great with the RGP and ERGP, based on what I’ve read here; I would have gone with that, if BRT hadn’t been available. Part of the trick with any barrel option right now will be finding it in stock.

Edit to add: I’ve seen Colt Commando 11.5 uppers in stock a couple times recently. That seems like a pretty solid already-built choice.

223to45
12-08-20, 22:36
Yeah, out of the 3 I listed only one in stock. Probably wont be for long. But not in a huge hurry.

I liked the Colt one, originally I wanted a FSB.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

308sako
12-09-20, 23:00
I've run through several 11.5 BCM barrels and an 11.5 FN, and a 12 LaRue. BCM elw is my current working barrel, when suppressed which is 99.9% of the time an H3 buffer helps. I can recommend the BCM barrels.

okie
12-10-20, 05:34
Colt makes the best barrels, hands down. They're both precise and long lasting. For a handy little do it all carbine, the commando barrel is ideal. For mini recce/full auto, the FBI profile is extremely attractive. If you're going to bother putting magnified optics on it, I would probably go FBI profile. If you're only going to run a dot, I see no upside to the extra weight, unless you're blessed enough to have a FA lower.

What I like to do though is get a SOCOM or 6920 takeoff barrel cheap and have ADCO cut it down to 10.3. But with things the way they are now, I don't think you can get either cheap enough to make that option viable. Probably the same price now or even cheaper just to get a factory one. But something to think about once all this craziness dies down.

ETA: One advantage though to cutting down a Colt SOCOM or 6920 barrel is that you can control the gas port size if you're going to run suppressed all the time. Just something to keep in mind.

223to45
12-10-20, 18:26
Colt makes the best barrels, hands down. They're both precise and long lasting. For a handy little do it all carbine, the commando barrel is ideal.

Found a commando one in stock. Found one a little sooner then I was ready for. Just trying to figure out which direction I want to go.

No LPVO on this one. Probably just a red dot.

JediGuy
12-10-20, 21:09
Found a commando one in stock. Found one a little sooner then I was ready for.

Then you have found the right answer.

okie
12-10-20, 21:53
Found a commando one in stock. Found one a little sooner then I was ready for. Just trying to figure out which direction I want to go.

No LPVO on this one. Probably just a red dot.

So basically barrel weight determines how well a barrel will hold groups as you shoot through a magazine. As the barrel heats up, the bore diameter changes when the steel expands, so a heavier barrel will heat up slower, and therefore hold tighter groups longer, or during higher rates of fire. So you can shoot more rounds, or shoot faster, without groups opening up.

Since precision is angular, though, the consequences of larger groups are more significant at longer ranges. Let's say when the barrel heats up your group size goes from 2 MOA to 3 MOA. At 100 yards, that's barely noticeable. At 600 yards, it's the difference between minute of man and a complete miss.

But with an 11.5 barrel and heavyish bullets, you're not going to be getting the velocity to reach out that far anyways. Technically yes you can, but the energy isn't going to be much and the bullet drop will be annoying, especially when trying to compensate by holding over with a red dot. So in my opinion, heavy SBR barrels are just dead weight.

The other reason for a heavy barrel is sustained fire, that might otherwise cause major functional issues with a thin barrel, or accelerated wear over time. But if you're damaging chrome lined barrels with semi auto, your only excuse is being Jerry Miculek after too many beers. And even if you are burning through that much ammo, then by definition you're so rich you won't mind rebarrelling anyways.

I could potentially see some utility in an FBI profile with an ACOG on top shooting out to maybe three or four hundred yards. But since you've already decided to go red dot, that's not really applicable. Sounds like you're looking for a close up rig, and the commando will feel great for that purpose. Very light, very handy.

Hammer_Man
12-15-20, 20:06
I just picked up a Colt FBI barrel from Brownell’s. I think the sale price is still good, you may want to take a look.

223to45
12-15-20, 20:23
I just picked up a Colt FBI barrel from Brownell’s. I think the sale price is still good, you may want to take a look.Already got one coming. Hope they dont ship USPS.

The-Ant1-Liberal
12-17-20, 08:40
An 11.5" Colt AR6721 barrel with can...anything w/in 300 yards is toast.

https://i.imgur.com/aFgrlXa.jpg

223to45
12-17-20, 23:52
Nice.

davidjinks
12-18-20, 05:37
Why not just buy an complete, ready to go 11.5” upper? The Colt Commando is hard to beat. Drop a little more dough and get the HRT version of the Commando with the SOCOM style barrel.

Currently looking at

11.5 BRT CQB-S
11.5 BCM ELW
11.3 BA Hanson

Thanks.

davidjinks
12-18-20, 05:39
Are those the adjustable, MKii levers on your Elcan?

If so, how do you like them?

An 11.5" Colt AR6721 barrel with can...anything w/in 300 yards is toast.

https://i.imgur.com/aFgrlXa.jpg

The-Ant1-Liberal
12-18-20, 05:54
Are those the adjustable, MKii levers on your Elcan?

If so, how do you like them?

So far so good, no wobble or POI shift...this after an advance carbine course and a 2-Gun styled match. Even w/these levers, I still double zip-tie them as I've got several other Elcans sans levers.

223to45
12-18-20, 12:04
Why not just buy an complete, ready to go 11.5” upper? The Colt Commando is hard to beat. Drop a little more dough and get the HRT version of the Commando with the SOCOM style barrel.

Can you find a complete upper? Not a whole lot of variety in today's climate.

I have a barrel coming should be here today , 11.5 colt heavy profile with FSB.

Should make a nice little setup.

davidjinks
12-18-20, 14:39
There was a member on here selling the crap out of them for the last 2 months.

Can you find a complete upper? Not a whole lot of variety in today's climate.

I have a barrel coming should be here today , 11.5 colt heavy profile with FSB.

Should make a nice little setup.

davidjinks
12-18-20, 14:40
Thank you sir!

So far so good, no wobble or POI shift...this after an advance carbine course and a 2-Gun styled match. Even w/these levers, I still double zip-tie them as I've got several other Elcans sans levers.

GunFighter98
12-20-20, 21:37
I just built an upper with the BA Hanson 11.3 a couple of weeks ago. I have been impressed with it so far.