PDA

View Full Version : 10mm ?

1986s4
12-09-20, 13:02
For many years I wanted a .38 super auto but couldn't see a reason to get one. For me a pistol must serve a practical purpose, better yet two practical purposes. For me it's always been self defense and games, IDPA, USPSA, and lately 2 gun. Once I got one I loved it and now my super has a 9mm barrel as well as a .22 upper.

I really like the 10mm but I can't see why I should get one. I don't hunt and I don't walk in areas populated by large dangerous game [other than 2 legged types]. Do any of you carry or game with a 10mm ? Any good reason to have one outside of hunting or woods defense?

223to45
12-09-20, 13:16
I really like the 10mm but I can't see why I should get one. I don't hunt and I don't walk in areas populated by large dangerous game [other than 2 legged types].

Seems like a good reason to me

markm
12-09-20, 13:19
Any good reason to have one outside of hunting or woods defense?

Sonny Crockett!

B Cart
12-09-20, 14:15
Well, with 10mm you're getting 300-400 more ft pounds of energy at the muzzle than 9mm, so if you ever had to shoot a 2 legged threat, more energy on target doesn't hurt...

That being said, the ability to shoot the gun well, with both speed and accuracy, is more important in a gunfight than just energy, not to mention ammo capacity.

I would think that most people shoot more accurately with easier follow up shots and quicker split times with 9mm than 10mm, and you can carry more rounds in a smaller package with 9mm. For these reasons, i always carry 9mm for my daily carry gun, and only take my 10mm when i'm out in the woods.

Don't get me wrong, i really like my 10mm Glock 20, but i don't think the increased energy advantage of the larger rounds outweigh the accuracy, speed, and ammo capacity advantages of my 9mm pistols, for 2-legged threats. Especially in today's world where you have a lot of good 9mm defense rounds to choose from. But if you really want a 10mm, get one! They are fun guns!

DG23
12-09-20, 23:09
Sonny Crockett!

He had pets that were way more badasser than any 10sillimeter handgun.

https://i.imgur.com/TCPIdoC.jpg

If I had one of those I could teach it to do a few simple tasks to 'assist me' and then get it registered as a 'service animal' and legally be able to take it with me everywhere.

Nightvisionary
12-10-20, 09:42
I have moved to 10MM Glock 20 SF as my truck, woods, hunting and walking around the border pistol. My accuracy and split times using full power 180 grain loads at 1250 FPS are slightly better than what I can manage with my Glock 19. Im a pretty big dude though so I have wondered if recoil management of a 10mm for me is comparable to 9mm recoil management for an average sized person. Muzzle energy from many full power 10MM loads such as Underwood come very close to AR 10.5 inch SBR levels.

markm
12-10-20, 11:35
He had pets that were way more badasser than any 10sillimeter handgun.

ELVIS!!

titsonritz
12-10-20, 12:45
Sonny Crockett!

Who says he used 10mm? Bren 10s were available (if you want to call it that) in 45acp, the two used for the show were .45 ACP blank firing pistols with hard chromed slides for better low light television scenes visibility.

Most commercial 10mm is loaded to .40 S&W ballistics rather than the original hot Norma loading.

markm
12-10-20, 13:10
Who says he used 10mm? Bren 10s were available (if you want to call it that) in 45acp, the two used for the show were .45 ACP blank firing pistols with hard chromed slides for better low light television scenes visibility.

Most commercial 10mm is loaded to .40 S&W ballistics rather than the original hot Norma loading.

I'm aware of all of that.

I bet he didn't really sleep with a live gator in the boat too!

Pappabear
12-10-20, 13:49
Napes on 10mm. I see no reason unless you have a 1000 of 10mm sitting on the shelf. Otherwise you have a huge new project on your hands. And that is not an ideal 2020-21 project. No telling when it will be.

PB.

jsbhike
12-10-20, 14:19
Napes on 10mm. I see no reason unless you have a 1000 of 10mm sitting on the shelf. Otherwise you have a huge new project on your hands. And that is not an ideal 2020-21 project. No telling when it will be.

PB.

Not enough reason to buy one, but in the shops I have been in lately, 10mm is probably the most common caliber consistently available versus others on the shelf like .38 S&W, 7.65 Para, .32 Long, and .44 S&W.

In 2009 I was in the Sportsmans Warehouse in Lexington, KY which had 2 boxes of 10mm Auto on the pistol shelf and nothing else.

Pappabear
12-10-20, 19:24
Not enough reason to buy one, but in the shops I have been in lately, 10mm is probably the most common caliber consistently available versus others on the shelf like .38 S&W, 7.65 Para, .32 Long, and .44 S&W.

In 2009 I was in the Sportsmans Warehouse in Lexington, KY which had 2 boxes of 10mm Auto on the pistol shelf and nothing else.

Let's Go. BBN! I'm born raised in Lexington. That's probably not enough to live on but if your defending BBN, go for it.

PB

Ryno12
12-10-20, 20:40
If you’re a reloader, the 10mm is an absolute blast. It’s such a versatile cartridge. You can load anything from powder puff to full power loads & everything in between.

If you’re not a reloader, it’s still an absolute blast.

pag23
12-11-20, 03:14
I just got a 10mm in a trade...now to stock up on some ammo for it..

seb5
12-11-20, 20:51
When I used to hunt white tails my last two were shot with 10,s loaded hot. I used a Glock and a S&W 610. At max loadings it's actually closer to a hot .357 than a 41 magnum. But 180's at 1300 were devastating on deer. Other than hunting I think it's a bit much. But if you like it and can afford to get into another caliber now it's a potential powerhouse.

KTR03
12-22-20, 21:36
My truck guns are a Glock 40 in a B&t chassis and a B&T APC pro 10. Both braced. 40 had 180 gr gold dots loaded hot and the APC pro had 110 gr penetrators or 180 grain gold dots. Good for all critters in WA state. In

Ron3
12-23-20, 14:16
More penetration with the 10mm and solid bullets.

But if that's what you want you want the hot loads. The ones that are not reccomended for the 1911 action because it isnt as strong or supported (case-wise) as Glocks and other 10mm's.

So if you want to shoot hot 10mm loads choose something else.

If you want a 1911 but don't .45 recoil and weight but do want 2 extra rounds and more reliability get the .38 Super.

That's what I plan to do. But it's not a gun I plan to carry, honestly.

yoni
12-23-20, 19:50
I used to be in contact with the Texas cop that was the first LE involved shooting with 10mm in the USA according to Ayoob. The cop was not impressed with 10mm and went back to 45acp after the shooting.

If I remember correctly he had a shooting or 2 with 45acp before the 10mm shooting.

Evel Baldgui
12-23-20, 20:59
I used to be in contact with the Texas cop that was the first LE involved shooting with 10mm in the USA according to Ayoob. The cop was not impressed with 10mm and went back to 45acp after the shooting.

If I remember correctly he had a shooting or 2 with 45acp before the 10mm shooting.

Scottie is now an attorney, chatted online with him a few times (10+yrs ago).

yoni
12-24-20, 13:14
Scottie is now an attorney, chatted online with him a few times (10+yrs ago).

Yeah he is in my phone and on my whatsapp good dude.

duece71
01-11-21, 21:58
10mm is a reloaders dream. Load it lower power for plinking, gaming etc. or load it up for hunting, or as a back up pistol in dangerous game country. It wouldn’t be a choice for me however if I didn’t reload for it.

Uni-Vibe
01-11-21, 22:43
10mm is a reloaders dream. Load it lower power for plinking, gaming etc. or load it up for hunting, or as a back up pistol in dangerous game country. It wouldn’t be a choice for me however if I didn’t reload for it.

This. I bought a XDM 10mm just for fun; I have no real use for it. I can load FBI lite if I want, or full power, just by changing powders. It's just a fun thing.

Note: 10mm is far snappier recoil in a 1911 than it is in the XDM.

m4fun
01-12-21, 12:59
Always wanted a shiny Colt Delta Elite in 10mm - was totally bummed when I heard 10mm was tearing those guns up (but that was hearsay pre-Internet world)

Trajectory rocks if you like longer range pistol shooting on steel.

Totally agree that the G20 platform is great especially if you play with G19 or G17s - all is the same...just bigger.

I have a buddy who treks around the Appalachian Trail and carry's a G20 for bears.

nick84
01-16-21, 16:05
In one of my few nods to Boomer-ism, I carry a 10mm 1911 in a shoulder holster as my 'woods gun'. Climbing into or out of a stand, doing work, ducking through bush, etc, I prefer carrying the backup underneath my coat or sweatshirt to having it on my waist. 10mm in semi-auto is probably the most suitable for both two legged and four legged predators; should the need arise. That said, it is snappy, heavy, etc. It's a caliber worth owning IMO.

GNXII
01-16-21, 16:14
I recently came into the 10MM “family” by purchasing a reloading guys collection of 10MM handguns, well at least some. A basket case Colt Delta Elite Gen 1, S&W 1086 3rd Gen & two Glock 20s ( one heavily modified, 2nd box stock never shot) The only reason this collection was sold is guy wanted to reduce his ”footprint” in his garage, he literally had no space for “regular” tools etc that one would use a garage for, every square ft was occupied by something to do with reloading ammo. The only reason I got into 10mm was my buddy’s Springfield 1911 in 10MM that he insisted I try. Love at 1st mag! The Delta will go off to a 1911 Smith not sure which, the modded G20 was sold quickly as it was a pure comp gun with porting etc etc. the stock G20 is staying and the 1086 stays as the guy had 18 loaded mags for it! My real love is the Delta with a busted plunger tube, thumbsafety and so so grip safety. They guy was great at reloading rifle ammo but ‘SMithing and pistol ammo were not his main claim to range fame! Luckily he only did minor things to the Delta not cutting or grinding, the modded G20 was another story. I regret that I missed the S&W 610 that was disassembled by his deceased ‘ Smith & never repaired or reassembled.

mtscout
02-05-21, 08:15
Last month I picked up a RIA 1911 10mm, and for its price I liked what I held.
Since then I have been able to buy 200 factory cartridges (liking Underwood a lot) .... and another magazine.
While it is not a beautiful Colt 1911, this pistol is very functional in carry and shooting.
Yes it is heavy (16+ 1 magazine) but for a series 70 clone it is fun, and for $730 worth the price.

WillBrink
02-05-21, 12:29
For many years I wanted a .38 super auto but couldn't see a reason to get one. For me a pistol must serve a practical purpose, better yet two practical purposes. For me it's always been self defense and games, IDPA, USPSA, and lately 2 gun. Once I got one I loved it and now my super has a 9mm barrel as well as a .22 upper.

I really like the 10mm but I can't see why I should get one. I don't hunt and I don't walk in areas populated by large dangerous game [other than 2 legged types]. Do any of you carry or game with a 10mm ? Any good reason to have one outside of hunting or woods defense?

I'm pragmatic on the topic also. If it does not fit a role and or does not get shot, it's not for me and or gone. Having said that, I have a .357 wheel gun - SW 686 - as a woods/camp gun. If i were to start over with a gun for that role, I'd get a Glock 20. I'm not a Glock fan and don't own one, but that seems the best of the 10mm pistols to me and i was surprised the recoil was not sharper than it was. I don't personally see a value to a 10mm 1911 unless you just want one. Not sure about 10mm 1911 reliability either. Outside of woods/hunting/camp pistol, does not fit any role for me. Not a lot of people CCW 10mm I suspect. I only know one person who does.

duece71
02-22-21, 21:47
Always wanted a shiny Colt Delta Elite in 10mm - was totally bummed when I heard 10mm was tearing those guns up (but that was hearsay pre-Internet world)

Trajectory rocks if you like longer range pistol shooting on steel.

Totally agree that the G20 platform is great especially if you play with G19 or G17s - all is the same...just bigger.

I have a buddy who treks around the Appalachian Trail and carry's a G20 for bears.

Not sure I agree with the 10mm cartridge “tearing up” the Colt DE. For one thing, it doesn’t have a ramped barrel, it has the traditional frame ramp and barrel interface that all Colt 1911s have. That means that full powered Underwood loaded ammo probably isn’t a good idea. A proper Main spring and a flat bottomed firing pin stop really help. I have shot my DE plenty with maximum loadings from the reloading manual and it is definitely a snappier recoil impulse. YMMV.

pinzgauer
02-23-21, 08:43
I've shot a Delta Elite since the mid-80s. Early on shot a lot of the very hot 10 mm at the time, both factory and hot hunting/defense hand loads.

I've never had an issue in durability, nor has anyone else I know with Delta Elites.

There were some stress riser related frame issues which were eliminated with relief cuts in production changes. Mine has those relief cuts, which could be why we've not seen issues.

I'm not saying DE potential durability issues are a myth... But I do believe them to be overblown and are much rarer than magazines and internet lore would have you think.

The guns are certainly not blowing up or falling apart if you stay within design pressure ranges. And those design ranges are substantially hotter than 40 SW.