PDA

View Full Version : What do you use to wipe optic lens?

JG007
12-09-20, 16:51
Anything better than microfiber dry or a drop of water ?

Aimpoint, Holosun, trijicon scopes etc

just a scout
12-09-20, 16:53
Get the lens cleaning wipes from the drug store. They’re used for eye glasses and other optical lenses. Zeiss has really nice ones with no streaks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Pappabear
12-09-20, 16:59
Get the lens cleaning wipes from the drug store. They’re used for eye glasses and other optical lenses. Zeiss has really nice ones with no streaks.

This works and there is also a company that makes "Rainbow F.O. Swabs" that work great, Albeit more pricy than a simple lens cloth.

PB

JG007
12-09-20, 17:13

I bought some sunglasses lens wipes and it’s just rubbing alcohol on the little square patch, wasn’t sure if that could be bad for a special optic lens coating. , could alcohol or glass cleaner damage it?

mebiuspower
12-09-20, 17:23
LensPen.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1051483-REG/lenspen_nlp1_c_nlp1c_lens_pen.html

georgeib
12-09-20, 17:26
I use any old clean microfiber cloth. They work great and leave no scratches. Have even checked the lens surfaces with a 10x loupe to make sure.

jsbhike
12-09-20, 18:34
I bought some sunglasses lens wipes and it’s just rubbing alcohol on the little square patch, wasn’t sure if that could be bad for a special optic lens coating. , could alcohol or glass cleaner damage it?

It may have had some sort of detergent mixed in also, or at least the ones I have bought did.

Not exactly answering the original question, but these are really good as an antifog.

https://www.skiessentials.com/smith-sunglass-and-goggle-no-fog-cloth.html

JediGuy
12-09-20, 21:06
LensPen is my go-to, but I got all this stuff after buying a used CompM3 that was a little dirty. Really shouldn’t have sold that darn thing

https://i.imgur.com/UEm3Oti.jpg

omegajb
12-10-20, 05:28
I bought an Otis cleaning kit and it had a brush and small bottle of spray for the lenses but I've never used it.
If mine gets dusty I would use keyboard spray and for mud I'd rinse with water then use spray for glasses and a micro fiber lens cloth.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

RKB Armory
12-10-20, 09:45
Q-tips and very clean water.

Defaultmp3
12-10-20, 10:57
I usually use the Kimtech Science Kimwipes Delicate Task Wipes, combined with the Zeiss Lens Cleaner spray, after having of blown any debris off.

Alex V
12-10-20, 17:50

Another vote for Zeiss wipes. Use a lens brush or some kind of blower to clear the dust, then use the wipes. Started doing it this way on SLR lenses and continue on my gun related optics.

davidjinks
12-16-20, 23:16
This for sure!

One thing I have found that works (field expedient), and works well.....the bags that come with Oakley sunglasses. A small drop water on a corner of the bag, gently wipe the lens and then use a dry side to clean up the water and streaks.

Never had a problem with them and never scratched a lens.

Walker_Texasranger
12-19-20, 21:01
The zeiss wipes work real well. I like them the best because you know it’s not contaminated. 1 use and throw away.

I also have a couple of those cleaning pens that came with Scalarworks orders. Those are great for the range back. One end is a brush and one end is a small round microfiber thing.

Walker_Texasranger
12-19-20, 21:02
This for sure!

One thing I have found that works (field expedient), and works well.....the bags that come with Oakley sunglasses. A small drop water on a corner of the bag, gently wipe the lens and then use a dry side to clean up the water and streaks.

Never had a problem with them and never scratched a lens.

Even better is the Oakley cleaning kit. Keep it in the range bag for my Mframes.

03Infantry415
12-31-20, 21:44
I've had good luck with a product called "cat crap". I have no issues with fogging and it works well.