PDA

View Full Version : SA Custom Shop Upgrades

STAMarine
12-11-20, 10:12
Is Springfield Armory doing upgrades anymore at all? My first 1911 was one of the Imbel framed 1911 Loaded models purchased at the Camp Lejeune PX twenty years ago. The custom shop replaced a worn out barrel and did a minor repair for me a few years ago for free. They didn't even charge me for the barrel replacement, even though there was no defect.

I'd like to get it refinished, spring replacement, tool steel internal upgrades, and a sight replacement. I can't get any response from their custom shop anymore. I started another thread a while back asking about spring weight on a pro, and emailed them at the same time. I got plenty of responses from M4, but none from Springfield.

Does anyone know if they'll do minor work like I'd like to have done now? They used to have a list of work they'd do, but no more it seems.

Johnny Rico
12-11-20, 18:37
The Springfield Custom Shop as you knew it is no more. They're nothing more than high end production now, same as Les Baer or Ed Brown.

Wake27
12-11-20, 19:35
Yup. They went to limited work years ago and then shut down altogether a few years later IIRC.

STAMarine
12-12-20, 09:43
Well crap. Is there anyone out there that does that kind of simple work without having to wait a year. Yes, I know of I'm going to be a 1911 guy I should be able to do that myself, besides the refinishing. But I'm not going to carry a 1911 I used to learn on.

Nightstalker865
12-12-20, 09:46
Well crap. Is there anyone out there that does that kind of simple work without having to wait a year. Yes, I know of I'm going to be a 1911 guy I should be able to do that myself, besides the refinishing. But I'm not going to carry a 1911 I used to learn on.

Wilson Combat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dcf1981
12-12-20, 11:00

Nighthawk is pretty reasonably priced and easy to work with.

maximus83
12-12-20, 11:47
I work with a local 1911 guy who does great work, as nice as some of the high-end custom shops. His backlog is a few months, not years, as he doesn't promote his business nationally beyond his small website.

http://jplprecision.com/

RE Springfield: it's too bad Dave Williams left. When he moved on, the heart of Springfield was gone IMO.

Pappabear
12-12-20, 12:20
Thats sad. I hope they continue to offer great after purchased customer service.

PB

STAMarine
12-12-20, 22:20
I had forgotten about Wilson and Nighthawk working on other brands. I think Vickers commented on that on one of his videos not long ago. Maybe a podcast.

signal4l
12-13-20, 09:54
A friend sent a revolver here for repairs. Got it back in a bit more than a week. Very knowledgeable gunsmith, reasonable prices.

http://www.glenncustom.com

lowprone
12-13-20, 10:47
Frank Glenn is one of the last Python qualified pistol smiths out there.

Blankstrap
12-14-20, 12:27
Well crap. Is there anyone out there that does that kind of simple work without having to wait a year. Yes, I know of I'm going to be a 1911 guy I should be able to do that myself, besides the refinishing. But I'm not going to carry a 1911 I used to learn on.If you're hoping to keep "local", Dave Sams is in southern-ish VA and a superb 1911 gunsmith.

maximus83
12-15-20, 12:28
FWIW, wanted to update information about Springfield Custom shop, work they do on EXISTING pistols (vs new custom guns), and status of Dave Williams there. Was talking with them today about refinish options on an existing Springfield I have, here's the info straight from Springfield CS rep.

Dave Williams: he is no longer working at Springfield Custom shop. But he does actually still work at Springfield--in the research and development department.

Here's a price list of services that Springfield Custom will do on an existing pistol (they are only emailing this, not listing on their website, so I guess it's something they aren't trying to promote):

Springfield Armory 1911 Upgrade Services: ($100 Minimum Required)
*Refinishing done at additional charge
❑ Install combat low mount sight fixed rear sight and front sight with tritium . . . $175.00
No machining required
❑ Machine and install Springfield ArmoryŽ adjustable rear and dovetail front sight (target) . . . $225.00*
(Bomar or LPA)
❑ Machine and install fiber optic dovetail front sight . . . $80.00*
❑ Machine and install tritium dovetail front sight . . . $90.00*
❑ Install existing Springfield ArmoryŽ dovetail cut fiber optic . . . $65.00*
❑ Install existing Springfield ArmoryŽ dovetail cut tritium front sight . . . $75.00*
❑ Armory Kote™ – Complete pistol . . .$250.00
❑ Black “T” – Complete pistol . . . $250.00
❑ Phosphate – Complete pistol . . .$130.00
❑ Bead blast & polish stainless steel – Complete pistol . . . $250.00
❑ Action job, series 70 with existing parts (4.5lb. or greater) . . . $100.00
❑ Action job, with tool steel match hammer & sear, lightweight trigger . . . $275.00
(Required for trigger pull less than 4lb.) Anything less than 4lb. will require signed released
❑ Fit match barrel and bushing . . . $290.00
(Non-supported chamber)
❑ Fit fully ramped & supported match barrel and bushing . . . $390.00

Blankstrap
12-15-20, 15:56
FWIW, wanted to update information about Springfield Custom shop, work they do on EXISTING pistols (vs new custom guns), and status of Dave Williams there. Was talking with them today about refinish options on an existing Springfield I have, here's the info straight from Springfield CS rep.

Dave Williams: he is no longer working at Springfield Custom shop. But he does actually still work at Springfield--in the research and development department.

Here's a price list of services that Springfield Custom will do on an existing pistol (they are only emailing this, not listing on their website, so I guess it's something they aren't trying to promote):

Springfield Armory 1911 Upgrade Services: ($100 Minimum Required)
*Refinishing done at additional charge
❑ Install combat low mount sight fixed rear sight and front sight with tritium . . . $175.00
No machining required
❑ Machine and install Springfield ArmoryŽ adjustable rear and dovetail front sight (target) . . . $225.00*
(Bomar or LPA)
❑ Machine and install fiber optic dovetail front sight . . . $80.00*
❑ Machine and install tritium dovetail front sight . . . $90.00*
❑ Install existing Springfield ArmoryŽ dovetail cut fiber optic . . . $65.00*
❑ Install existing Springfield ArmoryŽ dovetail cut tritium front sight . . . $75.00*
❑ Armory Kote™ – Complete pistol . . .$250.00
❑ Black “T” – Complete pistol . . . $250.00
❑ Phosphate – Complete pistol . . .$130.00
❑ Bead blast & polish stainless steel – Complete pistol . . . $250.00
❑ Action job, series 70 with existing parts (4.5lb. or greater) . . . $100.00
❑ Action job, with tool steel match hammer & sear, lightweight trigger . . . $275.00
(Required for trigger pull less than 4lb.) Anything less than 4lb. will require signed released
❑ Fit match barrel and bushing . . . $290.00
(Non-supported chamber)
❑ Fit fully ramped & supported match barrel and bushing . . . $390.00Yeah, they had that list on the site for a while, then it disappeared; nice to see it's still technically offered, even though not having it available on the site seems to say a lot about what kind of business they'd rather be. It's pitiful in options compared to heyday. Also isn't clear if they'll work on any 1911 or jus SA now, but it used to be you could send them virtually anything and ask for virtually anything and they were up for it -- and they were a superb shop in the work they turned out.

Wonder what the gutting did to their expertise...

maximus83
12-15-20, 16:03
^Hard to say what impact the changes have had. Change isn't always bad and it doesn't mean their quality will go downhill just because Dave W. moved on. The proof is in the pudding: only way to tell how they're doing will be their actual custom work when folks send them pistols.

I think the fact their price listing says "series 70" suggests they'd work on non-SA pistols. But I don't know for a fact, I didn't ask that.

lowprone
12-17-20, 11:25
Bah Humbug !

Smokecloud
06-13-21, 16:38
I have been looking at purchasing a nice tier 1 1911 and the Springfield Pro keeps coming out very favorably. The biggest reasons I haven't decided to go with a Springfield Pro, is the lack of a couple of options. if I could get it with a undercut trigger guard, which is standard on a lot of 1911's these days, forward serrations on the slide and options for a Heine style rear sight I would put in my order. I have not seen that SA is approachable about these options, anyone know differently? Also, is there any reason they don't offer the Professional series in a 10mm? I would like to have one each in 45acp and 10mm.

Sam
06-14-21, 07:12
Back when the Springfield "Custom Shop" was a custom shop and Dave Williams ran that group, Ken Hackathorn was offered a chance to purchase a Pro pistol (by Dave). Ken took the offer and asked for a few additional "custom" features. If I remember reading the write up correctly, he asked for the squared trigger guard, front slide cocking serration, S&A magwell with "scallops", there may have been a couple more things. Here is a picture of the gun as it appeared on gunbroker a few months ago. It was sold recently for more than a new one cost today.

https://i.imgur.com/oA4CuPe.jpg

gaijin
06-14-21, 07:33
^^Very nice. A bit of 1911 History.

The downside to "Squared Trigger Guards"- is availability (or lack of) of holsters.

Sam
06-14-21, 07:46
The downside to "Squared Trigger Guards"- is availability (or lack of) of holsters.

Ken does not have that problem :)

gaijin
06-14-21, 07:56
There is that.

Diamondback
06-14-21, 11:10
20 years ago when they had the Imbel "WWII Model" in the catalog, Deb Else there was a big help planning out a project that was sadly not to be--the deal then was that for the "Not GI Spec" parts I needed replaced, they wouldn't warranty those parts but would still honor factory warranty on the base gun and workmanship as long as they did the install.

Then WA went Full F'ing Retard with backdoor registration and no private sale and all-around general bag-of-dicks-eating... :(