PDA

View Full Version : Spotting Scope

GH41
12-12-20, 19:43
Looking for an inexpensive spotting scope. Nothing exotic. I am not a distance shooter. Just looking for something I can see 22 caliber bullet holes on white paper at 50 yards. I have a tripod. Thanks in advance.

gunnerblue
12-12-20, 21:14
Vortex makes several models which work well for not a lot of money. My current spotter is a Razor HD 11-33x with which I can easily see .22 caliber holes at 200 yards. I bought it second hand for ~$500

dmd08
12-12-20, 21:28
. 223 holes at 50 yards isn't demanding at all. I think pretty much any spotting scope will do that. My Redfield Rampage will easily and it's not even that great.

AndyLate
12-13-20, 09:31
Is there a price cut-off for decent spotting scopes? Vortex Diamondback (purely for example) spotting scopes are priced at roughly $400, Viper HD at $700, and Razo HD at $1200. That's quite a spread and quite an investment even at the low end of the scale.

For what it's worth, 22 holes in white paper are clearly visible through a 10x riflescope at 50M.

Andy

GH41
12-13-20, 10:48
Is there a price cut-off for decent spotting scopes? Vortex Diamondback (purely for example) spotting scopes are priced at roughly $400, Viper HD at $700, and Razo HD at $1200. That's quite a spread and quite an investment even at the low end of the scale.

For what it's worth, 22 holes in white paper are clearly visible through a 10x riflescope at 50M.

Andy

I know by spotting scope standards 500-1000 is at the low end of the price spread but I am not spending that to sight in a 22 and AR at 50 yards and maybe use twice a year. I found a little Tasco 20x60x60 with good reviews at Amazon for under a hundred bucks. With the free return option I think I will try it. Thanks guys.

ggammell
12-13-20, 11:05
I know by spotting scope standards 500-1000 is at the low end of the price spread but I am not spending that to sight in a 22 and AR at 50 yards and maybe use twice a year. I found a little Tasco 20x60x60 with good reviews at Amazon for under a hundred bucks. With the free return option I think I will try it. Thanks guys.

Tried to DM but your box is full.

GH41
12-13-20, 11:26
Tried to DM but your box is full.

It's empty now.

AndyLate
12-13-20, 13:07

Brother, you and I both. I would like to have a spotting scope, but it's hard to justify for the little use I would get out of it.

I was very close to pulling the trigger on a clearance spotter, but picked up a good and a decent pair of binos for the same money. I guarantee I have used both pairs more than I would have a spotter already.

Andy

Coal Dragger
12-13-20, 14:06
Out to 100 yards I just use a good set of 10X50 binoculars. Picks up .22 caliber bullet holes on a zeroing target just fine.

GH41
12-21-20, 19:26
Got the little Tasco scope this week. The table top tripod that came with is junk but I have a real tripod to put it on. Haven't been to the range but playing with it around the house leads me to believe it will serve my purpose. I have another question... Do any of you have a recommendation for phone mount to put on the eyepiece?? Everything I see on Amazon has at best a low rating. Even the expensive ones.

T2C
12-21-20, 19:41
I have a Konus 20-60x80mm spotting scope I bought years ago and still use. With good lighting conditions, I can see .223 holes at 200 yards and at 300 yards in perfect conditions. I can easily see the target spotting markers at 1,000 yards.

I bought my scope online and paid $200 for the scope shipped to my house. At the time Jim Owens, Jarheadtop.com, recommended the scope.

Martinzo
05-23-21, 09:18
A good sight is very important, but no less important is the tripod for the sight. Many good sights may not have the same effectiveness if they interact with a bad tripod. I advise you to pay the same attention to this. I always buy a tripod first, and then I pick up the scope for it. This is more convenient for me, because I know that the sight will stand steadily, so I approach the choice of the sight more calmly. I really like the tripods from Vortex, I advise you to pay attention to them. You can get acquainted with their best products https://ballachy.com/best-spotting-scope-tripod/ , here they tell you in great detail about their tripods. Good luck with your choice!