PDA

View Full Version : Is this scope mount good enough for the SCAR 20s?

heavygunner8
12-12-20, 23:37
This mount: https://www.eurooptic.com/CM-534-20-Vortex-Precision-QR-Extended-Cantilever-34mm-mount.aspx

Paired with this scope: https://www.eurooptic.com/vortex-razor-hd-gen-ii-3-18x50-riflescope-with-ebr-2c-reticle-mrad-25-mrad-turrets-rzr-31803.aspx

on a FN SCAR 20s.

The Eurooptic rep recommended that mount for the scope, saying that's beefy enough for the job, given the SCAR 20s reputation for killing optics due to it's massive bolt.

Defaultmp3
12-12-20, 23:50
You linked the same thing twice, no mount is listed.

Random interesting tidbit: the SCAR 16 is harder on electro-optics than the SCAR 17 due to higher bolt carrier velocity, despite having less mass.

heavygunner8
12-12-20, 23:51
You linked the same thing twice, no mount is listed.

Random interesting tidbit: the SCAR 16 is harder on electro-optics than the SCAR 17 due to higher bolt carrier velocity, despite having less mass.

My bad, I corrected it.

Smokin338
12-13-20, 02:36
NO! Can't use a cantilever mount on Any 308 SCAR !!

heavygunner8
12-13-20, 02:41
NO! Can't use a cantilever mount on Any 308 SCAR !!

Yeah, I googled it and found out just now. I assume this would be perfect then, not a cantilever mount: https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1022434697?pid=734015

It's approved by the military specifically for the SCAR.

heavygunner8
12-13-20, 03:13
Regarding the vortex cantilever mount in my original post, I should be able use it on a bolt action 6.5 creedmoor no problem right? I think it's just the SCAR eating optics that makes cantilever mounts particularly dangerous?

call_me_ski
12-13-20, 07:04
The 20s is quiet a bit heavier than a 17s so it shouldn’t be as hard on optics.

The Vortex scope you linked has a good reputation for durability and Vortex will fix it no questions asked if used with that mount. For one way range work I feel it would work. A Nightforce and Spuhr would be better though. Obviously.

Defaultmp3
12-13-20, 11:28
The 20s is quiet a bit heavier than a 17s so it shouldn’t be as hard on optics.Some info I've read:
Keep in mind the Mk20 SSR is not just a Mk17 with a heavy barrel - it has a different, more rigid trunnion, improved trigger, enhanced buttstock, and a modified receiver (or at least it did when I left). The only unchanged parts were the operating / bolt group.
They are capable of Magnum recoil.

Look at the recoil impule of the Mk20, Mk17, and Hk417 with an accelerometer...

That said I think the thicker trunnion of the Mk20 is a lot better for flex and whip, than the other two - and is a lot better on the optics and add ons than the other two.

MadAngler1
12-13-20, 12:48
This mount: https://www.eurooptic.com/CM-534-20-Vortex-Precision-QR-Extended-Cantilever-34mm-mount.aspx

Paired with this scope: https://www.eurooptic.com/vortex-razor-hd-gen-ii-3-18x50-riflescope-with-ebr-2c-reticle-mrad-25-mrad-turrets-rzr-31803.aspx

on a FN SCAR 20s.

The Eurooptic rep recommended that mount for the scope, saying that's beefy enough for the job, given the SCAR 20s reputation for killing optics due to it's massive bolt.

Absolutely not. You do not want a cantilever mount.

Use an ADM Delta mount (which was designed for the SCAR) or a non-cantilever Sphur mount.

MadAngler1
12-13-20, 12:52
https://www.admmfg.com/ad-delta-scope-mount-black-no-offset-non-qd-ti-gi-bolt

I believe they are making a 34 mm mount with the newer QD titanium levers. Call and ask.

Spuhr is another option. Just get one that is not cantilevered.

heavygunner8
12-13-20, 14:03
https://www.admmfg.com/ad-delta-scope-mount-black-no-offset-non-qd-ti-gi-bolt

I believe they are making a 34 mm mount with the newer QD titanium levers. Call and ask.

Spuhr is another option. Just get one that is not cantilevered.

I found the 34mm ADM delta. I just bought one for my SCAR 20s here: https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1022434697?pid=734015

MidwayUSA has two different pics of it, but the UPC code matches the non-cantilever one, so I think i'm good to go.

JoshNC
12-13-20, 14:23
I would personally use Spuhr or Nightforce. QD scope mounts are unnecessary with the advent of offset sighting options.

MadAngler1
12-13-20, 20:44
I would personally use Spuhr or Nightforce. QD scope mounts are unnecessary with the advent of offset sighting options.

Josh and I have argued about this. Paul Howe (CSAT) used to have an article on his website showing an Aimpoint damaged on a LEO’s AR from simunitions and flash bangs. If you stop and think what could happen if you are ever in a situation where someone is shooting back at you, you will not have time to take a wrench to unscrew your mount and use irons. An offset irons or Aimpoint may negate this, but it’s added security to use a good quality QD mount on a fighting rifle that has BUIS.

JoshNC
12-13-20, 21:16
Josh and I have argued about this. Paul Howe (CSAT) used to have an article on his website showing an Aimpoint damaged on a LEO’s AR from simunitions and flash bangs. If you stop and think what could happen if you are ever in a situation where someone is shooting back at you, you will not have time to take a wrench to unscrew your mount and use irons. An offset irons or Aimpoint may negate this, but it’s added security to use a good quality QD mount on a fighting rifle that has BUIS.

I believe offset optics and irons obviate the need for QD. And yes, this topic is a twice yearly debate between us by text. While I like setting my firearms up for serious use, I am but an enthusiast, the probability of my using a rifle in a defensive scenario is low. And if I do, and if my optic goes down, my offset will hopefully do the trick.

QD optic mounts are so early 2000s. :)

pointblank4445
12-13-20, 21:26

Chalk me up to QD isn't necessary....

Really the only "advantage" is the lack of need for an ancillary tool. There still needs to be a hypothetical "break" in the action and cover to pop off a QD mount and employ the sights. Granted, simpler than removing a torqued mount but I'm willing to bet in the heat of that sims battle, the QD feature still wasn't quick enough. The reaction was probably "Oh f***....(point shoots back)". The circumstance where there is enough time to remove a QD, but not a torque mount is not worth the shortcomings accompanied with nearly EVERY QD design. If you're someone REALLY serious, you shouldn't need to remove anything (like the damaged optic) or deploy anything. Your offset irons should be out, or your offset red dot should be on.

SteyrAUG
12-13-20, 23:44
I believe offset optics and irons obviate the need for QD. And yes, this topic is a twice yearly debate between us by text. While I like setting my firearms up for serious use, I am but an enthusiast, the probability of my using a rifle in a defensive scenario is low. And if I do, and if my optic goes down, my offset will hopefully do the trick.

The solution is obvious, iron sights on top of optics. For anyone who grew up shooting carry handle mounted optics on ARs this is no problem even if you have more of a chest weld then a cheek weld. Think of it like shooting an M203.

HKGuns
12-13-20, 23:50
I have QD mounts on some rifles and I've never once used the QD feature. Go figure.

MadAngler1
12-20-20, 23:06

how well do offset irons or an offset Aimpoint work when shooting left handed around a barricade? Food for thought.

titsonritz
12-20-20, 23:42
how well do offset irons or an offset Aimpoint work when shooting left handed around a barricade? Food for thought.

That's why you get LH and RH versions and put them on both sides. :jester:

MadAngler1
12-21-20, 08:50
That's why you get LH and RH versions and put them on both sides. :jester:

First of all, you have the greatest screen name ever. Second, mea culpa, you’re absolutely correct! lol