PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone tried Denny's CL SS barrel?

Yojimbo
11-12-06, 15:08
Just wondering if anyone here has tried Denny's chrome lined SS barrel? If so please let us know how it's shooting for you!

Here's the product discription from Denny's site.

NOW YOU CAN GET A NOVESKE POLY RIFLED 1:7 TWIST, M4 CUT MID LENGTH 16.1\" RECON BARREL WITH HARD CHROME LINED BARREL AND CHAMBER.

THE BARRELS ARE PLATED BY THE PREMIER U.S. BARREL PLATING COMPANY, U.S. CHROME.

THESE BARREL FEATURE NOVESKE\’S ACCURATE AND RELIABLE CHAMBER. YOU CAN SHOOT MILSPEC 5.56 AMMO OR .223 SAFELY IN THESE BARRELS.

GREAT ACCURACY COMBINED WITH ALL THE GREAT ATTRIBUTES OF 416R G70 STAINLESS AND THE LONGEVITY OF CHROME LINING.

WHO SAYS YOU CAN\’T HAVE YOUR CAKE AND EAT IT TOO!

bigbore
11-12-06, 15:32
You're going to have to check back in a year or so to get any realistic response, after they have had some use. The opinions from folks with 200rds. through at 100yds who are totally happy, are totally worthless.

Someone needs to track one to at least 5K rounds and watch performance along its life between 3 and 500yds.

K.L. Davis
11-12-06, 15:39
I can't speak for GT's barrel... but the chrome-lined SS barrels from other sources (that have been around for a while now) have a pretty impressive service life.

The payoff seems to be noticed mostly with LMGs, and even though chrome-lined SS barrels are not new, they certainly have not replaced all of the other choices -- perhaps one of the board members here (that works for a company that tested the idea some time back) will come along with more info ;)

blake6551
11-12-06, 19:02
Have 500 rds. through mine. As referenced above, not nearly enough for any realistic test. No issues at all; as expected from anything with John's name on it.

Yojimbo
11-12-06, 19:28
I basically figured that they haven't been around long enough to get much info.

I was just curious how much the chrome lining effected the accuracy of the barrel as compared to the non-lined Noveske barrels.

My assumption is that it would be slightly less accurate but it would maintain that level of accuracy for a much longer time. As I mentioned that's my ASSUMPTION and we all know what happens when you ASSUME...;)

Blake6551,

How is your AR configured?

blake6551
11-12-06, 20:26
Been running an EOTech on it mainly, so not much for accuracy tests. Had the upper built by Denny with a CMT Upper, LMT BCG, Larue 12.0 and Troy sights. Planning on adding a mid range optic very soon.

C4IGrant
11-12-06, 22:22
Accuracy out of a SS CL barrel seems to run around .75 - 1". You can get that from a couple different companies (LMT, Colt, Sabre, BCM) in chrome moly/chrome lined.

I had a customer buy an LMT MRP (10.5 CL barrel) and he reported that it is shooting at least .5! :eek:

IMHO, I would just go with chrome moly/chrome lined barrel and save the money.

C4

rob_s
11-13-06, 05:07
The point of the added chrome is strictly wear resistance, right? I wonder if anyone has done a life cycle cost analysis to see if it's woth the extra money.

Yojimbo
11-13-06, 07:37
Accuracy out of a SS CL barrel seems to run around .75 - 1". You can get that from a couple different companies (LMT, Colt, Sabre, BCM) in chrome moly/chrome lined.

I had a customer buy an LMT MRP (10.5 CL barrel) and he reported that it is shooting at least .5! :eek:

IMHO, I would just go with chrome moly/chrome lined barrel and save the money.

C4

That is along the lines of what I was thinking but I was curious about the actual performance of this barrel.

C4IGrant
11-13-06, 08:52
The point of the added chrome is strictly wear resistance, right? I wonder if anyone has done a life cycle cost analysis to see if it's woth the extra money.

That is correct.

C4

C4IGrant
11-13-06, 08:53
That is along the lines of what I was thinking but I was curious about the actual performance of this barrel.

I spoke to Denny about these and is where I got my MOA estimation.

C4

Logic
11-17-06, 22:49
I tend to be in agrrement with C4IGrant. For the added cost and expected performance, I would go with a chromemoly/chrome-lined barrel. I have a 2002 chrome-lined bushmaster barrel that shoots both mil-spec and match loads well, and a post 2002 chrome bush that is mediocre. I also have other chrome-lined barrels that are hit or miss. Some shoot well and some don't. The DPMS chrome-lined being the top performer, but one had pressure issues while the other didn't. Second was a chrome Sabre Defense. LMT, CMMG, JT, MOD1, and a few others all ran about the same. Then I have match stainless barrels that shoot match loads well and mil- spec poorly. Some more forgiving than others. You will really have to decide what you are going to use the barrel for and what ammo you will be using most. Trying to find one that will provide everything at this point in time will be difficult and could be cost prohibitive. I understand that you are trying to find a long wearing barrel with good accuracy, thus the Noveske CL SS. But as Grant has pointed out and from my experience, you can find standard chrome-lined barrels that will shoot well. It's the process of finding them that's time and dollar consuming. There are no guarantees that the first one you pick up will be a great shooter. GoodLuck and I hope you find what you are looking for.