PDA

View Full Version : Springfield XD-M

vdog
12-03-08, 06:35
My Brother in Law has been looking at getting an XD-m for work, we are both LEO's. He would carry it instead of his Glock. I have to carry my glock but thought about getting an XD Sub compact. I was wondering if anyone had one and if they like it. I really like the feel but have not shot one.
Thanks
Scott

Vic303
12-03-08, 08:28
I am quite fond of the original XD in .45acp, but have not had a chance to try an XDM, and they're only available in .40 & 9mm so far...:mad:

Powder_Burn
12-03-08, 09:47
Can't speak to the XDM but with regard to the XD I have had good results with both the XD-45 Tac and XD-9sc over a few thousand rounds. The Tac uses a one piece guide rod & spring whereas the sc uses a captive recoil spring assembly. To date, neither has malfunctioned using at least seven different brands of ammo. Defense loads normally used are the 230gr +p and 147gr +p Federal HST's. I like the fully supported chamber, metal guide rod, metal sights, and ambi mag release. The grip safety is a no go for some and the trigger reset is longer than a Glock. Springfield is tight with parts w/o sending in the gun but now parts can be found through places like Pistolgear, XDGuys, Springer Precision, and Canyon Creek Custom.

vdog
12-03-08, 12:56
Thanks Guys. Parts are really not a problem since Springfield Armory is only about 20 minutes from home. in the past I have gotten parts for our armorers for the M1 and they have been great. I walk in they go in back and get them.

Chooie
12-03-08, 13:57
I've got a few thousand through my XD-40 service and it has been flawless. I'm about to commit to an XDm 9mm as well; I expect more of the same.

dhrith
12-03-08, 14:40
Going on about 4yrs with mine, 20,000 or so through it, nothing replaced yet. Never even bothered getting the new finish on it. Had a 40 for a while too but didn't like the "snappyness" of it so I sold it. With bullet technolgy and cost what it is now a days I decided it made more sense to consolidate on the 9 although I still lug the 45 around sometimes.

vdog
12-03-08, 14:42
How do you guys think they compare to Glocks? I have a 22 and a 27 right now.

Chooie
12-03-08, 14:45
It's all about personal preference. Shoot the XD, shoot the Glock, buy the one you like the most. I prefer the smaller grip, more acute grip angle, and shorter trigger reach of the XD. I also prefer the crisp single action release of the XD as well. I would trust a Glock, I just don't prefer it.

docholliday
12-03-08, 14:54
I have a XD45 compact and love it. It fits my hand better than a glock, and is lighter to carry than my 1911.

Molon
12-03-08, 19:22
I just purchased the 9mm Luger version of the XD-M. It's only natural that people will be comparing this pistol to a Glock, so with that in mind, I much prefer the grip angle of the XD-M to that of my Glock. Yes, with training one can overcome the natural tendancy to "point" high with a Glock. But why work at overcoming a natural tendancy when there is an alternative? I can shoot all day with my 1911s, SIGs and HKs and when I pick up the XD-M and bring it on target from the low-ready position the sights are perfectly aligned; not so with a Glock. I really wish Glock would market a version of their pistols with a grip angle that matches that of a 1911.

The trigger pull of the XD-M is shorter, smoother and lighter than on a Glock. The design of the cocking serrations on the slide really does work to give you a better purchase on the slide. The slide comes with metal sights attached to it! Rumor has it that the sight pieces are interchangeable with SIG sight pieces but I haven't tried this yet. The ambidextrouse magazine release is nice and the stock magazine holds 19 rounds. The interchangeable back straps will accommodate a large variety of hand sizes. I won't have a chance to actually shoot my XD-M until next week, so I can't yet comment on the accuracy level of the "match" barrel.

My only initial complaint with the pistol is that the light rail on the frame does not conform to the Picatinny standard. The slots of the rail run approximately 0.045" narrower and this has caused issues in attaching some of my tactical lights.

http://www.box.net/shared/static/se6ko3come.jpg

Outlander Systems
12-03-08, 20:35
I've been absolutely dying for them to offer this in .45.

Has anyone heard any rumours of a possible big-bore offering in this? I had the opportunity to handle the 9, and the ergonomics are impeccable. It fit my hand like a glove.

supersix4
12-03-08, 20:59
I've been absolutely dying for them to offer this in .45.

Has anyone heard any rumours of a possible big-bore offering in this? I had the opportunity to handle the 9, and the ergonomics are impeccable. It fit my hand like a glove.

a friend got the XDm in 40, I handled it and now I want one. BUUUUT it has to be in 45. no use for 9 or 40 short and weak.

pryde
12-04-08, 01:42
So basically Springfield improved some of the shortcomings of the XD to make it closer to competing with a Glock................. But also made it $300 more than a Glock?
I don't see any objective reason why this unproven gun is > glock other than "it feels better to me".

theblackknight
12-04-08, 03:21
So basically Springfield improved some of the shortcomings of the XD to make it closer to competing with a Glock................. ".

Nope. Ive never seen a stock glock with a grip surface like that.And do any glocks have forward cocking serrations? How bout the rest of the ergo's? Or how about 18 degree grip angle?

Gentoo
12-04-08, 05:35
I can't wait for the .45 version of the XDm.

Chooie
12-04-08, 06:25
Nope. Ive never seen a stock glock with a grip surface like that.And do any glocks have forward cocking serrations? How bout the rest of the ergo's? Or how about 18 degree grip angle?

Don't forget the match grade barrel that you can actually shoot lead through... or the interchangeable backstraps, or the no trigger pull takedown, or the shorter trigger reach and slimmer frame... oh, and fully supported chamber. ;)

trio
12-04-08, 06:51
the problems I have with the XD-M as opposed to the glock are:

1) variety of models....when there is a G19 and G26 sized XD-M then it will really start to garner my attention seriously...I am not a good enough shooter to screw around with a bunch of platforms, especially for defense....I like the fact that regardless of the situation I am using a handgun in, I have the same trigger pull, sight picture, magazine interchangeability, etc. etc.

2) Owner modification....this has been my problem with the M&P and XD series for quite some time...great guns, but if I want the performance sear in the M&P I have to send it to Smith, and pay $150...modify the glock trigger? $15 part, do it myself. Springfield and XD are the same way....

I personally don't see what the big deal about the glock grip angle is...I admit I have had my guns professionally modified/stippled, but it still doesn't get me to the cost of an XD-M...

all this means, though, is Glock is the only platform that meets MY requirements right NOW....i have no doubt that many of these other platforms will continue to develop and may eventually become more viable options for me....

of course, the other problem is the financial commitment I have made to glock....30+ G17 magazines (not to mention the other model mags), 4 different firearms, 3.5 connectors, warren tac sights, grip adjustment....another platform is going to have to be a LOT better for me to come off that commitment and the financial loss I will take to change....

bullitt5172
12-04-08, 11:33
I just purchased the 9mm Luger version of the XD-M. It's only natural that people will be comparing this pistol to a Glock, so with that in mind, I much prefer the grip angle of the XD-M to that of my Glock. Yes, with training one can overcome the natural tendancy to "point" high with a Glock. But why work at overcoming a natural tendancy when there is an alternative? I can shoot all day with my 1911s, SIGs and HKs and when I pick up the XD-M and bring it on target from the low-ready position the sights are perfectly aligned; not so with a Glock. I really wish Glock would market a version of their pistols with a grip angle that matches that of a 1911.

The trigger pull of the XD-M is shorter, smoother and lighter than on a Glock. The design of the cocking serrations on the slide really does work to give you a better purchase on the slide. The slide comes with metal sights attached to it! Rumor has it that the sight pieces are interchangeable with SIG sight pieces but I haven't tried this yet. The ambidextrouse magazine release is nice and the stock magazine holds 19 rounds. The interchangeable back straps will accommodate a large variety of hand sizes. I won't have a chance to actually shoot my XD-M until next week, so I can't yet comment on the accuracy level of the "match" barrel.

My only initial complaint with the pistol is that the light rail on the frame does not conform to the Picatinny standard. The slots of the rail run approximately 0.045" narrower and this has caused issues in attaching some of my tactical lights.

Everyone wants Glock to change the grip angle, why? I (as well as MANY others) prefer the Glock grip angle. They have NO reason to change the grip, if you don't like it buy another gun. Just because it points high FOR YOU doesn't mean it does for everyone.

The XD-M looks nice but I won't be selling any Glocks to switch to XD's.....

Magsz
12-04-08, 11:35
What is the going rate for these new XD-M's?

Im having a hard time locking down a consistent price.

Chooie
12-04-08, 11:39
$620-$640 for melonite, add $30-$50 for stainless.

Magsz
12-04-08, 12:53
Thanks for the info Chooie!

olds442tyguy
12-04-08, 13:47
when there is a G19 and G26 sized XD-M.....
A G19 sized XD-M in 45 would be awesome.

sniperfrog
12-04-08, 20:34
So basically Springfield improved some of the shortcomings of the XD to make it closer to competing with a Glock................. But also made it $300 more than a Glock?
I don't see any objective reason why this unproven gun is > glock other than "it feels better to me".

Where can I get a brand new Glock for $300? Last I checked the XDm was only about $580-$625.

HK45
12-04-08, 23:25
I'll take an M&P anyday.

Chooie
12-04-08, 23:34
Where can I get a brand new Glock for $300? Last I checked the XDm was only about $580-$625.

$580? I gotta move to your neck of the woods...

theblackknight
12-05-08, 02:50
Everyone wants Glock to change the grip angle, why? I (as well as MANY others) prefer the Glock grip angle. They have NO reason to change the grip, if you don't like it buy another gun. Just because it points high FOR YOU doesn't mean it does for everyone.

I might be wrong buy I think Glock is the only company that makes a defensive pistol with a grip angle anything BUT 18 degrees. Ruger even fixed the grip on the Mark III .22 to 18 degrees.

mrosamilia
12-05-08, 09:55

I agree. I don't know if I like the Glock grip angle better because it was my first handgun or if it just fits me better. I have branched out and I do own several other handguns including m&p's and Hk's, but when I put one on to carry it is almost always a Glock.

mattjmcd
12-05-08, 10:51
That blue cloth background in your pic looks awfully familiar. Do I know you?

bmg
12-05-08, 14:33

I notice you have a surefire mounted on it. I assume that's one that works ok in spite of the rails being a bit narrow? Any others that seem to work fine?

pryde
12-05-08, 15:03

If you are .mil, .leo or any other sort of public service work, Glock offers discounts for you to buy them direct. IIRC it was $390ish last time I checked with 2 mags and night sights.

Everywhere I have seen XD-Ms they are selling for $600-700

I know a lot of people seem to like the XD, but the fact is that the gun has been out for 7ish years and you can probably count the number of agencies that issues them on two hands. The M&P has only been out for a couple of years and already has more contracts. That is what I call a clue.

vdog
12-05-08, 21:24
You can get an XDm from Springfield Armory at a greatly reduced price. Not sure of the exact amount. I will find out Monday

trio
12-05-08, 22:40

aah, but the more important question is:

where can I get an XD-M mid sized gun for, well, any amount of money?

or a subcompact....

i guess I could buy an XD-M and break out the dremel......:D

Ghostrider_911
12-06-08, 08:19

Typical response, as much as I love my G22, the grip sucks ass. We also want a GLOCK that FITS our hands and points naturally without having to point it muzzle down. This isn't so much about the grip angle rather than it is about the backstrap, had GLOCK offered an interchangeable backstrap it would fit more users - one gun does not fit all.

As for the retort of just "buy another gun", that is not practical for many Police Departments that require Officers to carry a GLOCK. GLOCK is behind the curveball on keeping their designs current or up to speed. By having an interchangeable backstrap this would change NOTHING for you, but would accommodate others who would change out one backstrap for another that fits them better. Why people are so adverse to a design upgrade is beyond me.

Powder_Burn
12-06-08, 09:53
Can somebody post close up pics of a dissembled XDM? It would help the OP's evaluation (and mine too).

Vic303
12-06-08, 13:46
Now here's something to consider--if the importation of foreign-made (ie: Croatia) firearms was restricted by Exec Order, could you even GET an XD any more? Or would SA have to move production Stateside?

Left Sig
12-06-08, 17:26
Good point about importation. That is exactly what I expect to see happen with the Obama administration. No legislation, no AWB (yet), just an executive order banning almost all firearm imports. US made will still be perfectly legal, but that's it.

As far as Glock goes, they ain't changing that grip angle. To do so would make all current magazines obsolete due to the change in the feed angle, and that destroys the whole commonality advantage of Glocks. I would be happy if they would just flatten out the hump at the back of the grip, or offer replaceable inserts.

I would really like a G19 because there are so many accessories easily available for Glocks at reasonable prices. But every time I hold a Glock I'm reminded that the hump combined with the squarish profile of the grip just hits my finger joints at the wrong places. If I had to use one I'd deal with it, but there are so many other guns that fit me better I can't pull the trigger (so to speak) on Glock.

I like the XDm, but it's clear that the added capacity was achieved by just extending the grip. When I hold one it almost looks comical how much grip sticks out below my hand. But I have to admit 19+1 one rounds of +P 9mm combined with a good trigger and safer take-down is a pretty compelling argument for a duty gun.

trio
12-06-08, 18:47
left sig....

you can solve those issues with a brand new G19, a competent gun smith with a soldering iron/dremel, and still be less than a new XD-M

I have the finger grooves removed from G19, the grip reduced some, modified the trigger, put warren tac night sights on it, and I am still just barely over $600 for the whole gun (granted I bought it used)

sniperfrog
12-06-08, 20:28
Buds Gun Shop in Kentucky has them in stock for $585 and that includes shipping. You can order it online and have an FFL holder do a transfer. Whittakers, also in KY, has them for about the same price. SA is also offering two free mags along with the two you get, until Jan 20th. Personnally I don't think I'll get the XDM as I already have two XDs. But I do like the XD45 better than my Glock 21. Just personal preferance.

Chooie
12-06-08, 20:34
Buds Gun Shop in Kentucky has them in stock for $585 and that includes shipping. You can order it online and have an FFL holder do a transfer. Whittakers, also in KY, has them for about the same price. SA is also offering two free mags along with the two you get, until Jan 20th. Personnally I don't think I'll get the XDM as I already have two XDs. But I do like the XD45 better than my Glock 21. Just personal preferance.

$585 shipped from Buds... wonder if they have the stainless. Off to check...

edit:

Buds has the melonite for $620, and doesn't have the stainless. Where did you see the $585 price?

Left Sig
12-06-08, 21:00
I've seen them locally (Indianapolis) for less than $600 in melonite. I seem to remember $569 was about right. The stainless one's were around $629 or so. Pricing was the same on either the .40 or 9 mm versions.

They are new and in short supply, so I guess a lot of dealers aren't discounting them as much.

Molon
12-06-08, 21:04
That blue cloth background in your pic looks awfully familiar. Do I know you?

:confused:

Molon
12-06-08, 21:07
I notice you have a surefire mounted on it. I assume that's one that works ok in spite of the rails being a bit narrow? Any others that seem to work fine?

The Surefire came with two different mounting brackets. One for Picatinny rails and the other for . . . well, non-picatinny rails. An Insight Technology M3 light also fit on the XD-M rail.

ToddG
12-07-08, 03:25
As far as Glock goes, they ain't changing that grip angle. To do so would make all current magazines obsolete due to the change in the feed angle, and that destroys the whole commonality advantage of Glocks. I would be happy if they would just flatten out the hump at the back of the grip, or offer replaceable inserts.

When folks talk about changing the grip angle, that's all they mean: changing the backstrap -- preferably through optional removable backstraps -- so that it points at an angle more like most other pistol. There's no need to change any internal dimensions. Plenty of folks have had custom work done of their Glocks to achieve this.

There are so many people who shoot Glocks that like the grip angle, though, that it would be impossible for the company to change the grip universally. As Ghostrider pointed out, having a removable backstrap gives different shooters with different sized hands the ability to make the gun fit in a way no one-size-fits-all can. It's no accident that just about every new gun on the market this decade has that capability ...

sewvacman
12-17-08, 22:25
I just bought one 2 days ago off gbroker gr/black xdm 9mm for 579.00 buy it now. The guy has several. Stainless slide add $20
It's a tad more than I paid for my glock but once I put my buddy's springfield in my hand the glock was sold off with no regrets. It reminds me of my walther p38. Just a pleasure to shoot and naturally fits my point of aim.
I'll post pics when I get it.
Anyone know where to get mags?

Vic303
12-17-08, 23:28
For mags, check the dealers listed on XDTalk.com or there is possibly CDNN too.

sewvacman
12-30-08, 20:10
For mags, check the dealers listed on XDTalk.com or there is possibly CDNN too.

CDNN?:confused: Who dat?

HK45
12-30-08, 20:53
http://www.cdnninvestments.com/springfield.html