PDA

View Full Version : News -Dropping prices of metals

FLGator
12-03-08, 06:38
Hopefully this will help manufacturers keep the prices of guns and cartridges down.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/industry/mining/3543370/Metal-prices-fall-further-than-during-Great-Depression.html

30 cal slut
12-03-08, 09:27
this is no small thing.

demand for metals, such as copper, has been largely driven by insatiable demand from china. china needs copper for electrical wiring in all that construction they're doing.

copper prices have also been influenced by a weak dollar (which is a function of u.s. fiscal and monetary policies), and commodities futures speculators.

as you know, the price of copper is incredibly relevent to us because it is a significant component of ammo (not only jacketing in bullets but also the brass casing).

u.s. and global recessions are almost always deflationary in the short term because they destroy demand for raw materials like copper.

also, hedge funds, which have been speculating in copper futures, are getting out of their positions because they need to raise cash for investor withdrawls (redemptions).

this explains why copper prices have come down sharply.

we should start seeing lower ammo prices soon, provided that energy prices stay low too. once prices adjust, i'd be buying ammo like there is no tomorrow, because the longer term trend is that copper prices will go up (long story made short ... dollar will weaken again, china will need more copper, and the slut reloads a lot :D).

check this historical chart out ... and see why the cost of ammo has shot up so much.

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f15/30calslut/copperpricese.jpg

30 cal slut
12-03-08, 09:29
it's hard to see in the above chart, but copper prices have more than quadrupled from 2002-2007.

Jay Cunningham
12-03-08, 09:36
If I had to venture a guess I would say that in a year or two Federal / Lake City 5.56x45mm will be readily available and decently priced, for several reasons.

markm
12-03-08, 09:49
Metal prices are down? :eek: I hadn't heard that!

Ok... out of wise ass mode.... TOO BAD ammo demands are quadrupled.

Cohibra45
12-03-08, 10:48
If I had to venture a guess I would say that in a year or two Federal / Lake City 5.56x45mm will be readily available and decently priced, for several reasons.

Would love to hear your 'several reasons'??? The only reason I can see is that BO will try to pull the majority of troops out of Iraq. With the decrease of 'war' going on, then the surplus will start to pile back up...:D

The Dumb Gun Collector
12-03-08, 11:54
The prices of ammo components are dirt cheap now. We are simply being raped by the manufacturers at this point.

Nathan_Bell
12-03-08, 12:08
Most large industrial concerns secure their metal supplies wells in advance. They may very well be taking delivery of materials that they signed contracts for 3-6-12 months ago.

Obiwan
12-03-08, 12:14
Retailers have no need to lower prices while all this panic buying is going on

Jay Cunningham
12-03-08, 12:20
Would love to hear your 'several reasons'??? The only reason I can see is that BO will try to pull the majority of troops out of Iraq. With the decrease of 'war' going on, then the surplus will start to pile back up...:D

Well... it doesn't really have a whole lot to do with BHO. In case you haven't noticed, the shooting war in Iraq is over, and we won. Personally I'm all for pulling our troops out of that shithole now.

Anyway, yes, I foresee a surplus due to high production but less usage by the .mil Couple that with metal prices and there's my opinion.

markm
12-03-08, 12:23
When the libs get done gutting the mil, there will be less demand for ammo! :eek:

Saginaw79
12-03-08, 13:19
I was getting 60-70 cent a pound for scrap aluminum cans, now the price is like 20 cent a pound so Im waiting for it to go back up

markm
12-03-08, 13:28
I was getting 60-70 cent a pound for scrap aluminum cans, now the price is like 20 cent a pound so Im waiting for it to go back up

I sold a bunch of scrap range brass just before the metals dove down. $180 worth!

Now I can start saving up while the copper market recovers. :p

Jay Cunningham
12-03-08, 13:30
I sold a bunch of scrap range brass just before the metals dove down. $180 worth!

Now I can start saving up while the copper market recovers. :p

You're gouging1!!111

Iraqgunz
12-03-08, 13:40
There is no doubt that our ammo demands have dropped compared to 2003-05. However, I was under the impression the Mr. Clinton prohibited surplus ammuntion and weapons from being sold back to the public. Is that correct?

Well... it doesn't really have a whole lot to do with BHO. In case you haven't noticed, the shooting war in Iraq is over, and we won. Personally I'm all for pulling our troops out of that shithole now.

Anyway, yes, I foresee a surplus due to high production but less usage by the .mil Couple that with metal prices and there's my opinion.

M4tographer
12-03-08, 13:47
http://us.ft.com/ftgateway/superpage.ft?news_id=fto120120081151055410

China said on Monday it would spend about $3bn buying 1m tonnes of base metals, from aluminium to tin, in an effort to cushion its mining and smelting industry from plummeting demand and prices.

;)

markm
12-03-08, 15:02
You're gouging1!!111

For once I was on the right side of a trend! :eek:

losbronces
12-03-08, 22:53
The prices of ammo components are dirt cheap now. We are simply being raped by the manufacturers at this point.

The copper price was cut in half from the end of September to the end of October. That doesn't mean that the end users have seen that impact yet. Some may even have hedged their metal purchases to protect fixed-price contracts.

Anyway, the ammo prices are ultimately a function of supply and demand. If you don't like the prices, don't buy. If everyone else follows your lead, then prices will come down.