PDA

View Full Version : GAS

Whalstib
12-18-20, 09:31
Howdy,

I come from the guitar culture as well and a syndrome call Guitar Acquisition Syndrome effects most of us at one time or another. I feel I'm in remission from that but am starting to get Gun Acquisition Syndrome!

I think many of us use the same ideal number of guitars equation for the ideal number of guns to have is g=(n+1)

Seems to have the same genesis striving to find a firearm that suits me. Pistol that fits my hand, is accurate and reliable. I think I'm set with one model and then after living with it for a while find yet another model that is slightly "better". I just leapt upon a Sig P320 AGX Scorpion which is probably THE hottest handgun right now that appeared at a local shop I went into over boredom as much as shopping. I wanted an XDM Elite and now find the search back on for the XDM!

Just like guitars ...I have an interest in one or need strings etc and a trip to the guitar store has me dragging $2000 of gear back home!

Oh well......

I wonder if they got that XDM in today....?

:D

W

seb5
12-18-20, 09:50
I guess I have AAS.....................buy ammo

markm
12-18-20, 09:57
When I was a kid (19 yr old), I was content with 2 guitars. Played in a band, and did small rock bar gigs. I though nothing of having just one main guitar and a back up.

Now I have 7 guitars. I might make room for one more, and I'm good.

Whalstib
12-18-20, 10:06
When I was a kid (19 yr old), I was content with 2 guitars. Played in a band, and did small rock bar gigs. I though nothing of having just one main guitar and a back up.

I solved my guitar dilemma by acquiring a Collings D1A, a AVRI '52 Telecaster and '54 Strat and a '57 Tweed Champ RI.

Worked at a guitar shop for 5 years where the owner was more than happy to pay you in guitars and allowed trades. That was a wild 5 years of guitars in and out!

LOVE the Collings photo attached!

Whalstib
12-18-20, 10:09
I guess I have AAS.....................buy ammo

Different equation... a=(n+1000)

:D

Hank6046
12-18-20, 10:10
I sold my Gibson Les Paul and my Fender Jaguar when I got out of the service to pay for home repairs and bills. I still have a Strat I play every once in while, but I don't get around to playing as much as I do shooting. I still listen to the Rolling Stones and miss playing with my friends from my high school days, but I don't even have time enough to sit and watch a whole movie, let alone play guitar for a time. Little kids and busy life, maybe one day when they are older and want to get into music I'll have the time, but as of right now, it just isn't happening.

TomMcC
12-18-20, 10:21

Dude, you need a 12 step program...you're in denial. LOL

Averageman
12-18-20, 10:24
8 Guitars in my bedroom.
Three acoustics in the living room, a telecaster her in the office and two more guitars in the guest room.
It's an ugly, ugly addiction.

markm
12-18-20, 11:57
bedside guitars:

https://i.imgur.com/WTVD4pO.jpg

Ron3
12-18-20, 14:12
I tried hard for about 16 months.

More frustrating than golf.

Still have the guitar so I can play a little, badly, and remind myself, "it's not gonna happen".

It's just like language in that the older you are the harder it is to learn.

I blame my parents for not getting me a guitar when I begged for one at 10-13 years old. 😥😁

Waiting until 40 to buy one and learn to play was far too late.

Start your kids on musical instruments as soon as they can steadily hold one.

jmp45
12-18-20, 14:53
Been playing since around 67 or 68. First real guitar was a 69 or 70 batwing SG w/vibrola and went thru several Fender amps. Guitars and amps are a huge black hole for me. I wouldn't have any other way, it's a passion like the other guys expressed here. I think around 15+ guitars not sure off hand. Guess it supersedes firearms by a bit.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/epohu5k8ddif30n/studio_202012094B.jpg?raw=1

https://www.dropbox.com/s/luxmh0qwns8xrjr/studio_202012098.jpg?raw=1

markm
12-18-20, 15:44
Holy smokes! Awesome set up.

jmp45
12-18-20, 15:53
Holy smokes! Awesome set up.

Thanks Mark.. It's a sickness ;)

grizzlyblake
12-18-20, 16:09
I can taste the ceiling tile dust being shaken loose in those pics. Awesome collection. Are you running attenuators?

jmp45
12-18-20, 16:34
I can taste the ceiling tile dust being shaken loose in those pics. Awesome collection. Are you running attenuators?

I've got a hotplate jacked into the Super Lead. I use a w/d/w setup from the hotplate line out into the rack > G-Major > Marshall 9005 50/50 > 2 - 1x12 V30 cabs. Occasionally I'll light up the back wall, when the 200w Major is running it really shakes things up. Stuff moves around in the upper floor. I can only stand that sound pressure for a few minutes in those quarters, but it's way fun and inspiring. I don't do that when wifey is in the house. I can actually get some really good tones at a comfortable level with the boards.

thebarracuda
12-18-20, 17:02
Ok fine! We can be friends!

TomMcC
12-18-20, 17:08
Been playing since around 67 or 68. First real guitar was a 69 or 70 batwing SG w/vibrola and went thru several Fender amps. Guitars and amps are a huge black hole for me. I wouldn't have any other way, it's a passion like the other guys expressed here. I think around 15+ guitars not sure off hand. Guess it supersedes firearms by a bit.

Are you really Jimmy Page ?

jmp45
12-18-20, 17:18
Are you really Jimmy Page ?

Lol... Could only wish ;)

Averageman
12-19-20, 09:14

I applaud you Sir,

Bulletdog
12-19-20, 10:53
I don't have GAS, but my friends had to have an intervention after I learned how to build an AR from a stripped lower and then learned that you could put 10 of them on every DROS...

jmp45
12-19-20, 11:23
I applaud you Sir,

Thanks Averageman.. Guess I may be in need of an intervention too. ;)

turnburglar
12-19-20, 12:49
I'm totally the opposite.

It takes A LOT for me to add another gun to the safe. Like I have to be wanting that gun for a very long time, it needs to fit a role none of my other guns fill, and I need to know how much all the accessories cost so I don't have the same issues I had with my BMW. Sweet car but it wasn't worth keeping on the road. A lot of guns fall into a similar category: "Pretty sweet, but I wouldn't spend my own money that way".

Plus I really would rather buy ammo and shoot one gun a lot than have a safe full of 'like new' sticks.

joedirt199
12-19-20, 21:14
Gibson and marshall a match made in heaven. Very impressive JMP. Went through the big cabinet, tube power amp, marshall preamp phase. Down sized as life caught up. 2x12 line6 handles as much sounds as I need. Home built warmoth Paul Reed Smith and a couple of acoustics get me by for the occasional jam session. Won a ukulele at a trivia night and never realized how much fun and ease of playing they were. Great for the couch while watching tv and not making a ton of noise.

jmp45
12-19-20, 21:27
Gibson and marshall a match made in heaven. Very impressive JMP. Went through the big cabinet, tube power amp, marshall preamp phase. Down sized as life caught up. 2x12 line6 handles as much sounds as I need. Home built warmoth Paul Reed Smith and a couple of acoustics get me by for the occasional jam session. Won a ukulele at a trivia night and never realized how much fun and ease of playing they were. Great for the couch while watching tv and not making a ton of noise.

Thanks JD, I get that. What gets the played here in the evenings in the family room is a Parker jacked into Vox VT15 stuffed behind a couch played at conversation levels. It sounds just fine and good for noodling. ;)

czgunner
12-19-20, 22:01
Some very cool stuff here.
I just bought a Larrivee D40. Mr Larrivee has a really nice military discount available if you ask nicely. I bought a US Masters strat copy way back in 2004, and play it through a Hot Rod Deluxe. I’m not good, but it brings me joy.

jmp45
12-19-20, 22:33
Some very cool stuff here.
I just bought a Larrivee D40. Mr Larrivee has a really nice military discount available if you ask nicely. I bought a US Masters strat copy way back in 2004, and play it through a Hot Rod Deluxe. I’m not good, but it brings me joy.

That's what it all about CZ.. There is some real therapy in playing. Starting out was frustrating, took about a year or more to get a good foundation.

czgunner
12-19-20, 22:43
That's what it all about CZ.. There is some real therapy in playing. Starting out was frustrating, took about a year or more to get a good foundation.

Yeah, I started playing with my brother in a small band back in 2000. In '02 I went into the Army. After I got back from Iraq in '05 I stopped playing due to depression and just got back into playing this year. Rusty, but I'm surprised at how quick the chords come back to me.

RazorBurn
06-15-21, 22:05
I had quit playing for at least 10 years. I had sold off all my guitars except for two.

Last Father's Day my wife and son bought me a Charvel Chlorine Burst Pro Mod San Dimas and just like that BAM it's been game on ever since. I've gotten back into playing guitar and have had a serious case of GAS.

Here's the herd as it currently sits. Yeah, I'm a metal head and a Charvel fan.

https://i.imgur.com/5rstf3yh.jpg

chadbag
06-15-21, 22:25
bedside guitars:

https://i.imgur.com/WTVD4pO.jpg

Someone has not just a guitar addition, but a Les Paul style addition.

czgunner
06-16-21, 17:28
Just added a Fender Strat Professional in olive green.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Whalstib
06-19-21, 23:15
Couldn't resist a Fender 70th Anniversary Custom Shop Broadcaster...Heavy Relic!