PDA

View Full Version : What to do with a spare lower?

MadAngler1
12-19-20, 06:44
I have a spare Knight’s SR-15 lower (E3 with ambi controls). I currently have:

Two 16” carbines with chrome lined barrels
A 18” SPR build with a Noveske stainless barrel and VLTOR MUR upper
11.5” Geissele Super Duty I will SBR

The only config that may be worth getting is a 16” Recce. I would buy it from Centurion Arms, but why bother when I already have a SPR? The other uppers listed are configured to run with my SOCOM RC2 556, but now I have a Knight’s QDC 556 that needs a host.

Then of course I can sell it, but it is a nice lower.

Eurodriver
12-19-20, 06:46
Sell it.

Prices are sky high right now and there’s really no point in having a bajillion ARs.

markm
12-19-20, 07:58
I agree. Cash in. Replace it with a non ambi lower and you win TWICE!

SBRSarge
12-19-20, 08:02
Build a 6ARC with it. Then you have a whole new hobby, frantically sorting through websites for ammo!

matemike
12-19-20, 08:11
First and foremost I would capitalize on the market. Although I think the best return right now would be low grade stuff like BM and AR Stoner that were bought for pennies a coupe of years ago and will sell for premium now. KAC stuff is not going to bring as large of a return. Especially with the first time buyer frenzy right now not caring about quality, they just want something. No doubt it would sell fast, but I think your KAC would go to waste in some idiot's hands so to say.

OR utilize it for a different caliber: 300BLK or 6.8 SPC just to do and have something different. assuming those four you have are all 556.

MadAngler1
12-19-20, 10:39
Not really interested in 6 mm ARC with I have a Tikka in .308 and SCAR 17s. Same goes for 6.8 SPC. 5.56 and 7.62x51 covers my current semi auto needs outside of the Russian ones (5.45x39 and 7.62x39).

I have a Galil ACE pistol that runs like butter suppressed in 7.62x39. Wouldn’t trade it for .300 blackout at all.

Selling makes the most sense but I want to hear more opinions. Thanks guys. I just hate to sell a good lower.

JediGuy
12-19-20, 11:34
Cash in...

NickySantoro
12-19-20, 11:36
Whatever you want. I once built an entire rifle because I had a spare pistol grip. OK, that was just an excuse, but whatever.

kirkland
12-19-20, 12:44
Spare lowers tend to turn into rifles

Stickman
12-19-20, 15:38
I have a spare Knight’s SR-15 lower (E3 with ambi controls). I currently have:

Two 16” carbines with chrome lined barrels
A 18” SPR build with a Noveske stainless barrel and VLTOR MUR upper
11.5” Geissele Super Duty I will SBR

The only config that may be worth getting is a 16” Recce. I would buy it from Centurion Arms, but why bother when I already have a SPR? The other uppers listed are configured to run with my SOCOM RC2 556, but now I have a Knight’s QDC 556 that needs a host.

Then of course I can sell it, but it is a nice lower.

Don't sell guns unless you really have to. You will only kick yourself later on when the money is long gone and the memory of what you had still kicks around in your head.

vicious_cb
12-19-20, 15:55
Bury it in the ground in case the guberment comes for the gunz.

Five_Point_Five_Six
12-19-20, 17:04
I use spare lowers as bookends.

Buncheong
12-19-20, 18:58
My problem is that if I have a spare anything it gnaws away at my conscious mind until I add whatever is missing and make it a complete AR.

ViniVidivici
12-19-20, 21:25
Sell high=profit.

utahjeepr
12-19-20, 21:35
Register it as an SBR.

Hohn
12-19-20, 22:17
Register it as an SBR.

I’m thinking this is the correct answer. But does it being a KAC make the argument stronger or weaker?

jackblack73
12-19-20, 23:29
How much would you make if you sold it? If it’s just a few hundred it wouldn’t be worth it to me.

The_War_Wagon
12-20-20, 05:21
Don't sell guns unless you really have to. You will only kick yourself later on when the money is long gone and the memory of what you had still kicks around in your head.

THIS!

Put a dedicated .22 upper on it, and practice with the cheap stuff, until America comes to its senses (January, 2025).

dewshe
12-20-20, 09:47

Stick nailed it. Never, ever, ever sell.

RUTGERS95
12-20-20, 20:12
I use spare lowers as bookends.

awesome, tipping my hat sir!

MadAngler1
12-20-20, 23:02
I guess I’ll keep it and either turn it into a 6.8 SPC/6 mm ARC host or for a 16” Recce build......I don’t have any ranges around me > 200 yards, so I think sticking with 556 makes better sense than me spending more cash on 6 mm ARC or 6.8 SPC. I rather but a 6.5 Creedmoor rifle if I need something for shooting beyond 600 yards.

tanksoldier
12-20-20, 23:31
THIS!

Put a dedicated .22 upper on it, and practice with the cheap stuff, until America comes to its senses (January, 2025).

This might be the best answer. I use a M&P 15-22 for Steel Challenge matches...

MadAngler1
12-21-20, 08:49
This might be the best answer. I use a M&P 15-22 for Steel Challenge matches...

I rather use one of my PCCs for steel matches. My dad has a M&P 15/22 though and loves it.

pstennisace
12-21-20, 16:20
Save it for a rainy day, or until I find another detent, then it’ll become another build.

Gatorgrizz27
12-26-20, 08:01
I wouldn’t sell anything in today’s political climate. I’m not an alarmist, but I do believe there’s a very good chance of a Clinton style AWB that will not expire. What’s $200-$300 in your pocket for something that can’t be replaced?

I assumed this would be another round of people buying overpriced junk, but it seems they are taking the opposite approach. An $89 PSA Premium BCG is fine until you can’t get a replacement. At that point a Geiselle, Sionics, etc start looking like a better option if it has to last you the rest of your life.

Obviously they can’t ban every AR part, but companies will go under if they can’t sell complete rifles and there are no new customers.

Now, as far as what to do with it, I’ve seen more reason lately with the ammo shortage to have alternative calibers, unless you’ve got 5.56 stacked to the rafters. I wouldn’t have recommended going the “pistol brace” route earlier this week, but it appears the ATF has chosen to back off a bit, at least for now. With owning an SBR, having a braced lower gives you the option to travel freely, keep it loaded in your car, and hunt in certain areas where “rifles” aren’t legal to do the same with.

An 8.5” .300 Blackout upper would be a nice complement to what you’ve already got, assuming you have a .30 cal can, and find ammo at some point. If you don’t like it, it’s just a barrel swap.

I’ve had zero interest in a 7.62x39 AR, but am considering putting one together lately just for the sake of ammo availability.

tanksoldier
12-26-20, 23:03
I wouldn’t sell anything in today’s political climate.

I think that’s one we all agree on. Not only would I not sell it, I’d put SOME kind of upper on it.

May not be able to get anything soon...

I’ve kind of been looking at the “multi-ammo” thing and am thinking of buying some extra uppers in 7.62x39 just in case.

jimbob2525
12-27-20, 03:13
rainy day

davidk
12-27-20, 07:44
I anticipate there will be bans in the future. Im not selling any firearms

ExplorinInTheWoods
12-27-20, 09:41
Keep it, you’ll regret selling it with anything that could happen with all the stuff that could happen.

Rogue556
12-27-20, 12:36
Unless you have the money to build that lower into a full rifle right now that would fill a role not already filled, and are willing to do so.. then I'd sell it.

Are there any gaps in your gear that the money from that lower could help fill?

Do you have a belt setup?

Do you have a quality chest rig?

Do you have night vision capability?

If so, are your current go to weapons setup to use with night vision?

Do you have a plate carrier and armor?

Do you have medical essentials covered?

Do you have at minimum a few months of dry food stored?

(Not saying you don't have these things, but pointing out that a lower by itself is pretty much worthless when you consider you can sell it and check off another box on the list from the profit you make).

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

gaijin
12-27-20, 13:07
Good points. ^^

tanksoldier
12-27-20, 13:08
. Not saying you don't have these things, but pointing out that a lower by itself is pretty much worthless when you consider you can sell it and check off another box on the list from the profit you mak

Good point, but most of that stuff should be available in the future... lowers may not be.

...but it’s also true that there’s more to being prepared and secure than just a gun and ammo.