PDA

View Full Version : Red dot/holograph magnifiers

BoringGuy45
12-23-20, 11:56
So, in the LVPO thread, I asked about magnifiers for red dot/holograph sights. I don't want to derail that thread too much.

So, I was debating between the Aimpoint 3XC and the Vortex Micro3X to put behind my Aimpoint PRO. I know that there are better options out there, but I'm strapped for cash right now, so I can't be dropping $900-$1000 for the Aimpoint 3XMag or 6X (plus, I understand that only the Comp M5 and T2 are the only Aimpoints that have a crisp enough dot for the 6X). Thoughts between the 3XC and Micro3X, or any others of comparable quality and cost?

themonk
12-23-20, 12:23
I have used the Aimpoint, the Vortex VMX-3T and an EOTech, all in 3x. Of those three the glass clarity is best with the EOTech followed by the Aimpoint and then the Vortex but the Vortex is closer to the Aimpoint. The Aimpoint has the best eye relief followed by the Votex and then the EOTech. This can be annoying especially on a flip to side mount as you will need to readjust your cheek weld.

The EOTech and the Vortex both come with a mount with the EOTech's being very well made with a good QD system. The Aimpoint does not come with a mount. Aimpoint's new flip and twist mount is pretty slick especially if you want to move your magnifier from one rifle to another all you need is to buy another base.

I dont have any time behind the newer Vortex Micro 3X but it looks like a great option. Good price point, Vortex's awesome warranty and a good QD system to move it from gun to gun. I may need to pick one up to check it out.

I dont have any experience how they all line up with the Aimpoint pro, just with a T1, H1, and T2.

BoringGuy45
12-23-20, 12:33
I have used the Aimpoint, the Vortex VMX-3T and an EOTech, all in 3x. Of those three the glass clarity is best with the EOTech followed by the Aimpoint and then the Vortex but the Vortex is closer to the Aimpoint. The Aimpoint has the best eye relief followed by the Votex and then the EOTech. This can be annoying especially on a flip to side mount as you will need to readjust your cheek weld.

The EOTech and the Vortex both come with a mount with the EOTech's being very well made with a good QD system. The Aimpoint does not come with a mount. Aimpoint's new flip and twist mount is pretty slick especially if you want to move your magnifier from one rifle to another all you need is to buy another base.

I dont have any time behind the newer Vortex Micro 3X but it looks like a great option. Good price point, Vortex's awesome warranty and a good QD system to move it from gun to gun. I may need to pick one up to check it out.

I dont have any experience how they all line up with the Aimpoint pro, just with a T1, H1, and T2.

Good info! Was the Aimpoint you tried the 3XC?

themonk
12-23-20, 12:36
Good info! Was the Aimpoint you tried the 3XC?

Previous version. Glass on the new version is a little better but the main advantage is it has a dioptric setting.

Wake27
12-23-20, 12:40
I haven’t messed with anything other than a T2 since they were released so hopefully this has changed but my T1 was worthless behind even the 3x G33.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BoringGuy45
12-23-20, 12:51
I haven’t messed with anything other than a T2 since they were released so hopefully this has changed but my T1 was worthless behind even the 3x G33.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I heard the T2 and Comp M5 were specifically modified so that the dot was crisper in the magnifier.

12-23-20, 13:30
T2 works fairly well with a magnifier.

With a PRO, your going to want either an optic mount with some cantilever, or a short magnifier, or both. Remember that you have to fit BUIS, too, if used. I’ve found the Vortex Micro3x to work well with a variety of optics and mounts, including the PRO. The VMX3T was not very good in that respect, and would only play nice with certain combos.

I want to try out the newish Aimpoint magnifiers, but they’ve been out for a couple years and I still haven’t seen them in person, or found out definitively if the glass itself is different on the C model. Maybe thats a clue, dunno.

Also newish on the market is the ADM and EoTech new models, but again, I’ve seen neither. I don’t think the EoTech new models even exist yet, despite being announced a while back.

Lotsa mounts out now, too. Scalarworks, Unity Tactical, LaRue, etc.

1986s4
12-24-20, 09:11
OK, I was going to start a new thread but I'll ask my question here instead. I am thinking about getting an EO tech and using my previously purchased Aimpoint 3X magnifier. It has the twist off mount but I want a flip to side. What would you recommend that would work well with the Eotech ? I'm thinking about the new model with the transverse battery.

Esq.
12-31-20, 09:49
It's really interesting to me to see things change, change back and change again....

I've worked as an RO at one of the largest Run & Gun events in the United States, the oldest of the modern events in fact. We have 100-125 competitors each year. In the nearly 20 years the event has run I've kept a keen eye on what people were shooting, how they carried their gear, accessories etc.... The participants range from duffers to semi pro shooters.

In the early years we had lots of battle rifles with iron sights. Those went away and you rarely see anything anymore but some AR platform. You have a few weirdos that show up with their Tavors etc...but the AR is completely dominant without question. Then you had guys show up with red dot setups. They were not competitive- much of the shooting- this is far west Texas- RIFLEMANS country, was at 200 yards plus- out to 500 yards, with target detection part of the challenge. Then a few started mounting magnifiers behind their Aimpoints and Eotechs. Those quickly went away when decent LPVO's came around- the weight was a factor when you have to carry your shit for 5-7 miles over rough terrain in 100 degree plus heat....

Now, 95% of the people who show up are running an LPVO. You have a small percentage, mainly due to finances as far as I can tell (based on their overall kit) that are running irons. You will have one, maybe two guys out of 100 running a Red Dot. That has been true for about 10-12 years now. This last year, I did see a few more guys running the red dot and magnifier but I don't think it will last.

Just observations....

12-31-20, 10:13
Then a few started mounting magnifiers behind their Aimpoints and Eotechs. Those quickly went away when decent LPVO's came around- the weight was a factor when you have to carry your shit for 5-7 miles over rough terrain in 100 degree plus heat....

I don’t mean to make this a LPVO vs Mag thread, since they each have their own uses and advantages, but weight is actually the magnifier’s biggest strong point. Don’t forget to include the weight of the mounts.

My heaviest dot/mount/magnifier combo is an ounce lighter than my lightest LPVO/mount setup.

My lightest dot/mount/magnifier combo is 10 ounces lighter than my lightest LPVO/mount setup.

Not advertised weights, but actual measured weights.

Esq.
12-31-20, 10:46
I don’t mean to make this a LPVO vs Mag thread, since they each have their own uses and advantages, but weight is actually the magnifier’s biggest strong point. Don’t forget to include the weight of the mounts.

My heaviest dot/mount/magnifier combo is an ounce lighter than my lightest LPVO/mount setup.

My lightest dot/mount/magnifier combo is 10 ounces lighter than my lightest LPVO/mount setup.

It may be that the Red Dot Magnifier set ups have benefited from time and are now lower weight. When the LPVO's first came around it wasn't close. You had guys running the old L3 full size Eotechs with a 3x magnifier behind it or Aimpoint Comp M4's (Vs something like a Trijicon MRO or T2) with factory mounts....Now there are a lot more streamlined setups- especially in mounts. Again, things change and change again....

ETA: One thing I did forget in that "evolution" was the ACOG. It came between the Red Dot/Magnifier set up and the LPVO. You still see a lot of them being run even now....

12-31-20, 11:37
When I said “heaviest dot/mount/magnifier” setup, I really meant that. Its a CompM4s with older, clunky magnifier. An old school, NSN Eotech, complete with batteries and chipped paint weighs 1.9 oz less than a Comp M4s.

The LPVO I’m using for my “lightest” setup is a P4Xi in ADM Recon, so it could lose a bit in the mount, but its still on the low end for ready-to-run LPVO’s.

We were using ACOGs for a few years before magnifiers (or LPVOs) became a thing, so I wouldn’t consider them a bridge between magnifiers and LPVO’s, rather a separate evolutionary path. One that I still consider to be valid, though I don’t use them myself.

It may be that the Red Dot Magnifier set ups have benefited from time and are now lower weight. When the LPVO's first came around it wasn't close. You had guys running the old L3 full size Eotechs with a 3x magnifier behind it or Aimpoint Comp M4's (Vs something like a Trijicon MRO or T2) with factory mounts....Now there are a lot more streamlined setups- especially in mounts. Again, things change and change again....

ETA: One thing I did forget in that "evolution" was the ACOG. It came between the Red Dot/Magnifier set up and the LPVO. You still see a lot of them being run even now....

RHINOWSO
12-31-20, 12:28
With all things, it depends what you want to do.

I have two Aimpoint 3X-Cs with twist / flip mounts acquired on the cheap and an extra base. I put them behind Aimpoint T/H-2s on SBRs and they give you a bit more real reach when shooting around the property. They also come off easily when you are using NVGs or just want to use the RDS. The extra base is on a rifle with an Aimpoint Pro and it works fine there as well. They are lighter / easier to use and of better optical quality that the Vortex and other cheaper options I've had and sold off.

LPVOs are awesome and I have several - if I was picking one 'do all' rifle, it would likely be one of these.

themonk
12-31-20, 12:35
If the ATF brace BS comes back to see another day you could see dot/magnifier replacing some LPVOs on some pistol builds.

12-31-20, 15:13
I have two Aimpoint 3X-Cs
Did you determine if there’s any difference in the glass between that and the “professional” model? It looks to me that the only difference is the diopter adjustment range.

BmNJ
01-01-21, 17:03
I have the 3XC that I used to have behind a PRO with both on Scalarworks mounts. It was a long setup but the dot was fine. https://i.imgur.com/11sY6r0.jpg

BoringGuy45
03-06-21, 20:39
Has anybody gotten their hands on the new EOTech G45? Thoughts?

mebiuspower
03-08-21, 06:22
Did you determine if there’s any difference in the glass between that and the “professional” model? It looks to me that the only difference is the diopter adjustment range.

That and the professional model can withstand abuse such as drop/impacts, cold/hot weather, under water, etc.

Pikey
03-23-21, 01:26

If I ever find an Eotech G45 in stock I’m going to try it out. I’m not sure that they are even out yet.

I have a Vortex Micro 3x.
Pros I like how compact it is. It fits in a grenade pouch perfectly. The field of view is about the same as a ta31 acog.
Cons The Vortex micro 3X eye box is very tight. The last time I was at the range it was raining and getting dark and the vortex didn’t perform that well in those conditions.

Pikey
03-23-21, 01:26

If I ever find an Eotech G45 in stock I’m going to try it out. I’m not sure that they are even out yet.

I have a Vortex Micro 3x.
Pros I like how compact it is. It fits in a grenade pouch perfectly. The field of view is about the same as a ta31 acog.
Cons The Vortex micro 3X eye box is very tight. The last time I was at the range it was raining and getting dark and the vortex didn’t perform that well in those conditions.

03-23-21, 07:45
I don’t think the new EoTech magnifiers really launched. Some sites just kinda listed them prematurely, just like the ADM Ti mounts.

I went with a used Aimpoint Mag3x magnifier to upgrade from my Micro 3x. I’m pretty happy with that, although more X’s in the same size and quality would be cool. As it is, the Mag3x seems to be more than some other 3x magnifiers due to glass quality.

DefenderAO
03-28-21, 22:09
I have the Aimpoint Mag3X and 3X-1. I haven't tried the C. They're both okay for what they are. You lose light transmission through magnifiers, and the FOV is limited. The focal adjustments on the -1 are nice, and the body is a little speaker/longer.

The -1 is on my go-to, and I have an NX8 that could be my #1 option. The T2 and magnifier are...

Warp
04-03-21, 12:37

Trijicon Accupoint TR24: 14.4 oz
Aero Precision Ultralight mount: 3.3 oz

Total LPVO weight: 17.7 oz

You are't getting a dot and magnifier at 10 oz under that. And it has more magnification than the dot setup. And clearer, brighter glass.

If you want light, with quality kit, you can do it. But you have to go for light weight, if weight is going to be this important to you

04-03-21, 13:01
Edit to add: I didn’t mean to come off so confrontational when I wrote this. I would make a poor diplomat.

You are't getting a dot and magnifier at 10 oz under that. And it has more magnification than the dot setup. And clearer, brighter glass.

If you want light, with quality kit, you can do it. But you have to go for light weight, if weight is going to be this important to you

LPVOs and magnifiers are both viable. My dot/magnifier setup weighs less than any of my LPVOs with mounts. Or those of any of my friends. The LPVOs have more Xs. I’m not sure what you’re trying to prove right now, but your setup isn’t any lighter than a dot/magnifier.

T2 with factory flips in Scalarworks 1.97: 5.4oz
Aimpoint 3X magnifier, not C or the new Professional, in Scalarworks: 10.1oz

Pikey
04-04-21, 23:24

I have a holosun mounted on a gg&g with a Vortex micro 3X they weigh 17 ounces with mounts the same as an Acog ECOS. Neither are perfect but with the magnifier set up the magnifier can be removed to save weight and space. LPVO vary so much that its hard to compare them with other set ups. It all comes down to what works for you.