PDA

View Full Version : What's (not) up with magazine prices?

Uni-Vibe
12-24-20, 20:55
Pandemic. George Floyd. Biden elected.

Ammo is vapor. Assault rifles through the roof, hi cap pistols see prices inching up, some not in stock.

But magazines? Gun Mag Warehouse says 10 Pmag are $115. Hi cap pistol mags up at most a few bucks.

In previous panics, the AR mag is the canary in the coal mine. Not this one.

Anybody know why?

Nightvisionary
12-24-20, 21:10
Everybody needs ammo, new and old shooters alike. Ammo is a non-durable good while magazines are durable goods. So while everyone is looking for ammo or reloading components right now, the guys that have been in the game for awhile stocked up on mags years ago and have not worn them out. In many cases we bought mags in bulk that went directly to the back of a shelf and never saw the light of day. During the previous big panics we were 9 years or less out of the Assault weapons ban so people had still not gotten around to acquiring a comfortable stockpile.

Dennis
12-24-20, 21:28
Don't jinx it... Luckily new shooters don't realize they need 50 per weapon like we do [emoji6]

Dennis

Twilk73
12-24-20, 22:31
I just started buying incase biden tries to pull a Clinton on us.

THCDDM4
12-24-20, 22:34
Don't jinx it... Luckily new shooters don't realize they need 500
per weapon like we do [emoji6]

Dennis

Fixed it for ya, you were missing a zero.

Everyone is going all in on ammo. The millions of new shooters don’t realize they need more magazines, sure, but they don’t have enough ammo to do a serious range day, so people are buying ammo.

It’s a good time to buy magazines. They will be the next run. I’m surprised it hasn’t happened yet, actually.

Dennis
12-24-20, 22:39
Fixed it for ya, you were missing a zero.

Thanks. I was at 100 but was trying to be conservative...

Dennis.

FromMyColdDeadHand
12-24-20, 23:26
Don't jinx it... Luckily new shooters don't realize they need 50 per weapon like we do [emoji6]

Dennis

When you have a box or two of ammo, the three mags that came with the gun look like more than enough..

Someone had a special on boxes of 100 mags. I told my brothers , who live where they can get them, to buy a box or two and put them in the basement for safekeeping. Neither listened.

Dennis
12-24-20, 23:39
When you have a box or two of ammo, the three mags that came with the gun look like more than enough..

Someone had a special on boxes of 100 mags. I told my brothers , who live where they can get them, to buy a box or two and put them in the basement for safekeeping. Neither listened.Yup. Nobody likes to listen. I am usually pretty insistent and insulting to their person-hood. If I'm wrong then I could look nutz...

Sadly, I have been right so far.

Dennis.

CRAMBONE
12-25-20, 00:01
The funniest thing to me is some new stuff is cheaper than the exact same thing used. A local forum I’m on and folks are listing mags, glocks and parts for more than what they retail. If you look around normal prices can still be found, except on ammo and primers.

Esq.
12-25-20, 11:27

Ammo is vapor. Assault rifles through the roof, hi cap pistols see prices inching up, some not in stock.

But magazines? Gun Mag Warehouse says 10 Pmag are $115. Hi cap pistol mags up at most a few bucks.

Anybody know why?

New gun owners have never lived through a ban. They don't understand that magazines are a consumable.--- They haven't trained enough or realistically enough to know that mags wear out, get bent feed lips, get lost in 3' tall grass on SUT Peels...

They don't understand and haven't considered, that their $1500 rifle is a jack handle without a high quality feeding device.

Who could use more than 3 mags?

Not a big fan of "gun culture " 2.0...I'm an old school Survivalist.

Arik
12-25-20, 13:44

Anybody know why?Where did you see assault rifles for sale?

How can you tell which pistol is "hi cap"? Is a 7 round 1911 "hi cap"? What about a 6 shot revolver? Where precise number? NY, for instance, considers anything over 7 rounds to be "hi cap". So that 8 round 1911 mag is "hi cap". So is the S&W Shield or just about any single stack gun. Hell my Ruger LCP 380 reaches the NYS limit. One more round and my LCP becomes an "assault weapon"!

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

SteyrAUG
12-25-20, 18:35
New gun owners have never lived through a ban. They don't understand that magazines are a consumable.--- They haven't trained enough or realistically enough to know that mags wear out, get bent feed lips, get lost in 3' tall grass on SUT Peels...

They don't understand and haven't considered, that their $1500 rifle is a jack handle without a high quality feeding device.

Who could use more than 3 mags?

Not a big fan of "gun culture " 2.0...I'm an old school Survivalist.

There's no cure for "don't know shit." I didn't know shit until I did. I didn't become a shit expert until much later. Most shit experts gained their knowledge from hard experience rather than internet searches.

I remember when Kvar had Arsenal rifles on sale for $400 sometime around 2005 I was telling EVERYONE to grab one (maybe 6) and do it as soon as you can. 80% assumed it was some kind of "forever deal" and even a lot of "gun guys" were "thanks but I spent money on XYZ bullshit item and have to watch my budget." Fast forward to 2008 and same guys were dying to grab one at $1,200 if I could find one for them.

I've lived through a few bans and the only thing I've seen get cheaper were HK mags and G3/91 accessories when Germany flooded the surplus market. That's basically it.

Everything else, at least anything worth having, tends to go in one direction. People who need Pmags but aren't buying them now need to suffer the "Man...remember when they used to be $12 each?" experience. Some of them might one day become shit experts.

At the damn height of the Clinton ban when Glock 17 mags were pushing $125 I remember paying about $40 for used but serviceable USGI AR mags and I bought 10. I remember when thermolds were "worth the price" magazines.

Of course the real problem is the next ban won't have a 10 year sunset, so the lessons will be extra hard for the new guys.

Edm
12-25-20, 19:01
I bought my first Glock 10mm during the ban. I told myself then I would never find myself needing a $150 magazine. I never had a real problem with AR mags. Found a ton on land nav courses...

JoshNC
12-25-20, 19:02
There's no cure for "don't know shit." I didn't know shit until I did. I didn't become a shit expert until much later. Most shit experts gained their knowledge from hard experience rather than internet searches.

I remember when Kvar had Arsenal rifles on sale for $400 sometime around 2005 I was telling EVERYONE to grab one (maybe 6) and do it as soon as you can. 80% assumed it was some kind of "forever deal" and even a lot of "gun guys" were "thanks but I spent money on XYZ bullshit item and have to watch my budget." Fast forward to 2008 and same guys were dying to grab one at $1,200 if I could find one for them.

I've lived through a few bans and the only thing I've seen get cheaper were HK mags and G3/91 accessories when Germany flooded the surplus market. That's basically it.

Everything else, at least anything worth having, tends to go in one direction. People who need Pmags but aren't buying them now need to suffer the "Man...remember when they used to be $12 each?" experience. Some of them might one day become shit experts.

At the damn height of the Clinton ban when Glock 17 mags were pushing $125 I remember paying about $40 for used but serviceable USGI AR mags and I bought 10. I remember when thermolds were "worth the price" magazines.

Of course the real problem is the next ban won't have a 10 year sunset, so the lessons will be extra hard for the new guys.

Exactly. Those of us who understand the real goals of the left as it relates to guns have known to stock up for a very long time. My experience was much like yours. I paid $60-80 per g17 mag, $40 per AR mag, and also bought Thermolds and even the old Israeli plastic mags. I was ecstatic to have 20 AR mags and around 6 g17 mags during the ban.

skatz11
12-25-20, 19:39
I grew up during the ban years. I always bought mags just in case. Wish I did then same for ammo. I found it easer to justify the money on consumable magazines knowing I would rarely wear them out. Ammo tends to get shot...

I reload 223 and 9mm and have done a decent job of having a years worth of components on the shelf.

My only regret right now is not being stocked up on 7.62x39 since I rarely shoot my AK.

I stocked up on primers right before the COVID panic set in. I don’t like not being able to replenish supplies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kenny256
12-25-20, 21:49
I'm set on mags for my ar platform rifles.

I got into the AK games again a year ago and didnt even buy mags for it. I just wanted another one and never invested back into the platform.

This week I ordered 20 mags and next month I'll probably order another 20.

Ammo will come back, or level or whatever...mags might go bye bye.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

The_War_Wagon
12-25-20, 21:52

50?! :eek:

Amateur. :haha:

Dennis
12-25-20, 21:58
50?! :eek:

Amateur. :haha:I do mean per individual weapon, not per platform ;-)

Dennis.

SteyrAUG
12-25-20, 22:00
I grew up during the ban years. I always bought mags just in case. Wish I did then same for ammo. I found it easer to justify the money on consumable magazines knowing I would rarely wear them out. Ammo tends to get shot...

I reload 223 and 9mm and have done a decent job of having a years worth of components on the shelf.

My only regret right now is not being stocked up on 7.62x39 since I rarely shoot my AK.

I stocked up on primers right before the COVID panic set in. I don’t like not being able to replenish supplies.

Nobody saw ammo happening in 2008, it had never happened before. The Clinton ban on military surplus ammo being denied to private markets didn't help. I grew up on Vietnam surplus everything. All ammo was 1,000 for $99 shipped, even .308 if you were buying cold war surplus. Hitrtengerger, Radway Green, FMP...it was everywhere. I cringe to think about the thousands of rounds I dumped through HK21s and G3s.

OH58D
12-25-20, 22:35
I'm just a little older than most of you. I was an Army O-4 during the 1994-1999 portion of the AWB. At that time my primary home was Fort Campbell, KY, and I only owned two AR's at the time. I would hit the local surplus joints in the Clarksville, TN are and buy up old surplus G.I. mags with black followers. I'd clean them up, spray on a coat of Permaslik G, replace the springs with Wolff springs and new green followers. Refurbing mags was a fun and kept me in 30 rounders.

The black market from Army bases was a big business during that period. It was not uncommon for some Spec 4 to load up his Buick's trunk and sell collected range mags in town. I'd see them quite often. A few got busted and received an Article 121 conviction/larceny under $500 and most of them would be on their way out. A very few went to jail.

I am not hurting for mags, and they are still plentiful - by the hundreds in stores like Sportsman's Warehouse. I really need to buy some more HK SP5K German made 30 rounders, but they're at $99.95 a piece, but that's a mail order item. That may be a good price in the future. Too much chaos with the USPS right now so I'll hold off.

OH58D
12-25-20, 22:35
I'm just a little older than most of you. I was an Army O-4 during the 1994-1999 portion of the AWB. At that time my primary home was Fort Campbell, KY, and I only owned two AR's at the time. I would hit the local surplus joints in the Clarksville, TN area and buy up old surplus G.I. mags with black followers. I'd clean them up, spray on a coat of Permaslik G, replace the springs with Wolff springs and new green followers. Refurbing mags was a fun and kept me in 30 rounders.

The black market from Army bases was a big business during that period. It was not uncommon for some Spec 4 to load up his Buick's trunk and sell collected range mags in town. I'd see them quite often. A few got busted and received an Article 121 conviction/larceny under $500 and most of them would be on their way out. A very few went to jail.

I am not hurting for mags, and they are still plentiful - by the hundreds in stores like Sportsman's Warehouse. I really need to buy some more HK SP5K German made 30 rounders, but they're at $99.95 a piece, but that's a mail order item. That may be a good price in the future. Too much chaos with the USPS right now so I'll hold off.

FromMyColdDeadHand
12-25-20, 23:45
Don’t wait. When has anything hk gotten cheaper or more plentiful? Still waiting for an SP5k-pdw.... I wish I could get sent 30 rounders here in CO.

I have mags for guns I don’t own anymore, but I know I’ll probably pick up a P226 sometime...

Diamondback
12-26-20, 00:17
Wait until people realize there's a Dem about to take office. Get what you need NOW, mags will be the next "run" item...

SteyrAUG
12-26-20, 01:59
I'm just a little older than most of you. I was an Army O-4 during the 1994-1999 portion of the AWB. At that time my primary home was Fort Campbell, KY, and I only owned two AR's at the time. I would hit the local surplus joints in the Clarksville, TN are and buy up old surplus G.I. mags with black followers. I'd clean them up, spray on a coat of Permaslik G, replace the springs with Wolff springs and new green followers. Refurbing mags was a fun and kept me in 30 rounders.

That's the only thing good about biting the bullet and buying my first MP5 when I did. Factory 30 straight mags were $19.99, 30 rounders were $29.99 and POFs were about $10 a mag. You could also find Max Capacity LIQ 40 round mags for $45 if you looked. Even though it was during the ban, it was surplus like those East German AK-74 bakelite mags for $5 each, man that is the one I wish I bought 100 of them, but at the time I only had ONE 5.45x39 Kalashnikov and it was a Romy WUMR or whatever they were. So I bought 12 mags and called it good. Now that I have a half dozen 74 variants I wish I had bought 100 East German bakelites. Hell I wish I'd have bought 100 East German AK parts kits.

FromMyColdDeadHand
12-26-20, 02:57
While I wait for my SP5K-PDW to come around, I kept hearing the BT APC9pro-k calling me...

Averageman
12-26-20, 06:33
I used to just look around and buy when I found them on sale.
I have "working" magazines and new in the wrapper magazines. I filled a very large drawer in a dresser, then another, then they went in empty twelve pack boxes and I started stacking them up.
I realized it had become a sickness.
As it is, I think I have magazines that are 20+ years old, still good, plenty of life left in them and enough to last a lifetime.

Slater
12-26-20, 08:00
...and new ones continue to be introduced. One of the guys from Lancer started his own company (according to Chris Bartocci):

https://www.thril.com/gear/ar-mag/

JoshNC
12-26-20, 08:24
...and new ones continue to be introduced. One of the guys from Lancer started his own company (according to Chris Bartocci):

I don’t understand how anyone would tool up and produce yet another plastic AR mag. Those are more costly than Pmags. And Pmags are a known entity. Why try a new mag?

Diamondback
12-26-20, 08:28
I don’t understand how anyone would tool up and produce yet another plastic AR mag. Those are more costly than Pmags. And Pmags are a known entity. Why try a new mag?

Expecting a panic where Magpul won't be able to meet demand, maybe?

skatz11
12-26-20, 08:53

It’s good there’s no shortage of magazine manufacturers right now.

I pre-ordered Thril’s MPX magazines. Part of the deal was three free AR mags. I haven’t used them yet but they seem nice. I would never of tried them otherwise. I’ll add them to the training mag rotation and see how they hold up.

The MPX mags took longer than expected and then doubled everyone’s pre-order which was a nice gesture.

So far their MPX mags have been working great. I’ve used them in a few PCC training sessions and one USPSA match.

I also found out they’re the OEM for the PSA AK-V mags (which I believe also work with the CZ Scorpion)

Slater
12-26-20, 08:54

Supposedly these were developed to compete head-to-head with the P-Mag.

ChattanoogaPhil
12-26-20, 09:13
What's (not) up with magazine prices?

....asks the guy who bought a case looking for a fast buck?

Slater
12-26-20, 09:21
Heck, even Thermold is still in business selling their old Zytel mags. Not my first choice, but somebody's still buying them.

OH58D
12-26-20, 09:54
Heck, even Thermold is still in business selling their old Zytel mags. Not my first choice, but somebody's still buying them.
I still have some vintage Thermolds from the 1980's. I never ran them hard and they were plinking mags for the range at Fort Campbell when using my personal firearms. Never had one fail on me. I should get them out and see how a 35 + year old Thermold's Zytel has held up.

The_War_Wagon
12-26-20, 13:46
I do mean per individual weapon, not per platform ;-)

Dennis.

OK... you had me worried there for a second...

Pi3
12-26-20, 15:19
I used to just look around and buy when I found them on sale.
I have "working" magazines and new in the wrapper magazines. I filled a very large drawer in a dresser, then another, then they went in empty twelve pack boxes and I started stacking them up.
I realized it had become a sickness.
As it is, I think I have magazines that are 20+ years old, still good, plenty of life left in them and enough to last a lifetime.

There may be a 12 step program for that. Buying mags for guns you don't yet own could be sign of a svere case. :cool:

okie
12-26-20, 15:22
I bought 1200 worth of pmags from Brownells the other day. Proly a better bet than stocks atm...

SteyrAUG
12-26-20, 16:26
What's (not) up with magazine prices?

....asks the guy who bought a case looking for a fast buck?

That's why they call it speculating. Sometimes you win, sometimes you don't.

I try not to buy anything that I'm not willing to keep forever. I try not to sell anything where I might not ever be able to get another one.

I went deep into mags after the sunset and if you combined all the varieties (USGI, Pmags, steel UKs, C Products, etc.) I had well over 1,000 AR magazines. I only sold off rifles during the Obama election panic but when the Sandy Hook panic drove prices to around $100 a mag I picked the ones I was most willing to live without and I think I sold 200-300 knowing the ban might actually pass and I'd have only what I had left.

Took the chance and won, replenished with Pmags as soon as they were available again which didn't take that long and I stacked down the newest model which I think was M3s at the time and paid off a lot of outstanding expenses I had.

I bought 1200 worth of pmags from Brownells the other day. Proly a better bet than stocks atm...

I know some people who put 100,000.00 into safe stocks and they still got killed after the housing market crash of 2008, by contrast I had been dumping every loose dollar into my gunsafe for the period of 2000-2008and it is the only thing that saved me. $400 "parts kit" AKs were flipping for over $2000 in some cases and I went from around 25-30 AK variants to about a dozen.

The ones that floored me was I had some FMP receivers (paid $199) and some Like New G3 parts kits (paid $299) sitting on back shelves for future build projects (HK51s, HK G3k and a few other variants that required more than standard gunsmithing build costs) so I decided to put them on GB knowing NOBODY would actually pay $1500 for a receiver and parts kit, I was very wrong and I think the lowest price I got was $1800.

With the Trump / Clinton election I got together with a few deep pocket guys I know and suggested we grab a few LE6920s and put them aside to see what happens. The pre election panic never realized the prices or demand of the pre Obama election because everyone did the same thing and the market was pretty saturated.

But Colt Defense soon ceased to exist and we were able to hook up close friends and family with Colt Defense marked LE6920s for not much more than we paid for them so it still worked out.

pag23
12-26-20, 17:47
Now I want to order another 10 mags...pmags in MCT and Surefeed..

Slater
12-26-20, 17:59
By now, I would think that everyone that wants a lifetime supply of mags has them.

pinzgauer
12-26-20, 18:14
Both the local mega gun store and local survival store have hundreds of pmags available pretty much at their normal price. Normally $11 for M2s, $14'ish for M3s.

Many times they have the m2s on the sale for 10 bucks.

Same LMGS had S&B 9mm by the pallet for $29/box 50. 45 brass blazer for $35, by the pallet.

I did not need any, but bought some for Friends who were flat out. (Caught flat footed).

SteyrAUG
12-26-20, 18:23
Both the local mega gun store and local survival store have hundreds of pmags available pretty much at their normal price. Normally $11 for M2s, $14'ish for M3s.

Many times they have the m2s on the sale for 10 bucks.

Same LMGS had S&B 9mm by the pallet for $29/box 50. 45 brass blazer for $35, by the pallet.

I did not need any, but bought some for Friends who were flat out. (Caught flat footed).

That's excellent news.

pinzgauer
12-26-20, 19:06
That's excellent news.Also had 9mm hst, critical defense, and similar at normal price. (Stupid 20 round packs, but at least not 2-3x priced).

10mm, 380, 38 spc, several others as well. All around $30-35/50.

Still no 22LR. I've given up on that.

For comparison their normal 9mm Brass blazer price is $9 on sale and $10 not.

So 9mm is still 3x, but at least available. My read is the pricing not only helps make them $$$$$, but it also helps stretch out the supply as quantity buyers like most of us will not by much at that price.

Another local place had Ga Arms new brass 9mm 124g jacketed for $129/250. This is ok ammo. Not something I'd normally buy. But did used to shoot some in the past years ago because it was cheap.

Bubba FAL
12-26-20, 21:32
AR mags are pretty much MIA in my area. Stores are cleaned out of anything worth buying.

pag23
12-27-20, 10:54
AR mags are pretty much MIA in my area. Stores are cleaned out of anything worth buying.

Try Lambos armory....I just ordered 11 various AR mags

Arik
12-27-20, 15:46
I've pretty much avoided gun shops all year. Maybe 4 times I went into one. Mostly because I'm not the wait in line type. Walked into one yesterday. An ok supply of used police glocks. A few revolvers. Mostly these weird new shotguns and 4 brand new 6920s at $1200ea. Didn't ask about mags.

Mags is something I only buy online

pag23
12-27-20, 16:15
I've pretty much avoided gun shops all year. Maybe 4 times I went into one. Mostly because I'm not the wait in line type. Walked into one yesterday. An ok supply of used police glocks. A few revolvers. Mostly these weird new shotguns and 4 brand new 6920s at $1200ea. Didn't ask about mags.

Mags is something I only buy online

Did they have any of the NFA Benelli M1 with the 14 inch barrel and flashlight in stock? I wonder if they have that HK USP in 40 still that was in the Facebook photos...

Arik
12-27-20, 16:25
Did they have any of the NFA Benelli M1 with the 14 inch barrel and flashlight in stock? I wonder if they have that HK USP in 40 still that was in the Facebook photos...Didn't pay attention to the benellis. Not a shotgun guy. The USP is gone. I think I saw the Ruger P89, security six 357, Taurus revolver and a Ruger 22lr. That's what I can remember

Bubba FAL
12-27-20, 16:41
Try Lambos armory....I just ordered 11 various AR mags

Oh, i have a decent supply, couple hundred anyway. And i know where to get more. Just making the observation that around here, mags got cleaned out just as fast as ammo and reloading supplies.

Since wallyworld essentially went out of the ammo biz, all the local neckbeards (and there are a bunch) seem to focus on the local Academy and Dunhams - lining up at the door prior to opening on ammo delivery days. Those of us who actually have real jobs don't stand a chance. Fortunately, i reload and have a pretty diverse supply. I do miss the cheap steel cased .223 from Academy for plinking days at the range.

Grand58742
12-27-20, 18:03
I've seen the prices nudge up a bit on my usual suspects of online buying, but nothing crazy at all. Certainly not the levels of 2012.

The OP has a point, I keep getting emails with specials for mags. The last carbine I put together I picked up a 10 pack of Gen 2 Magpul non-windowed for $98. Provided that was late August, but overall, mag prices aren't what they "should" be given the current climate.

Couple of other places have D&H aluminum for $10 a pop. Gen 2 PMAGs can be had to $12-13.

It is strange.

Grand58742
12-27-20, 18:06
By now, I would think that everyone that wants a lifetime supply of mags has them.

It's funny, the guy I put together the AR for asked "do I really need 10 mags?"

I chuckled and bet him lunch he'd have doubled that in six months time. We have five months to go.

SteyrAUG
12-27-20, 19:08
Just a real time update.

One of my wholesales has a lot of Pmags in stock.

17999 mags for Glock 19s.

19865 mags for CZ Scorpions.

Full size AR and AK mags are still zero inventory but I suspect Magpul ramped up hard for this predictable event and while there is a ton of product on the secondary market, I suspect my wholesalers will be resupplied sooner rather than later.

In demand firearms will be next and then ammo. I think a lot of people over speculated this time and except for ammo the "panic prices" really didn't happen. People were asking $2k for ARs but not many people sold many for that price.

But be ready for that other shoe to drop. The moment Biden and co request some kind of AW ban we might see something even more dramatic than the Sandy Hook attempt. The good news is a lot of product is already out there on the secondary market.

So if you feel you need a few mags, don't turn up your nose at $15 Pmags, just get what you need now. A couple bucks x10 really doesn't matter IMO. If you need a standard kind of firearm, AR, Glock, etc. maybe wait till things normalize a bit and then grab any kind of good deal. In the meantime stack ammo as soon as it's available from your retailer and purchase it like groceries. Every week add a couple boxes to the pile.

I'm pretty flush but I'm low on training ammo. I have my SHTF stock but I'm actually shooting pretty regular lately and don't want to dip into my emergency reserves.

OH58D
12-27-20, 20:16
I was in Santa Fe today at a place called Big R Sporting Goods - they sell a lot of ranch related gear and clothing. Found 400 rounds of .30 caliber carbine ammo in 50 round boxes for $34.99 a box. Walked out with 400 rounds. No 30 round mags of any kind. Drove on over to Albuquerque to Sportsman's Warehouse and they have a huge supply of 30 round P-Mags. I passed on any more of those since I was still proud of my .30 caliber carbine haul in Santa Fe.

okie
12-27-20, 20:46
I was in Santa Fe today at a place called Big R Sporting Goods - they sell a lot of ranch related gear and clothing. Found 400 rounds of .30 caliber carbine ammo in 50 round boxes for $34.99 a box. Walked out with 400 rounds. No 30 round mags of any kind. Drove on over to Albuquerque to Sportsman's Warehouse and they have a huge supply of 30 round P-Mags. I passed on any more of those since I was still proud of my .30 caliber carbine haul in Santa Fe.

Brownells and Armsunlimited both have mags of all sorts for bargain prices. If I didn't know any better I would think magpul has a goose that lays pmags.

titsonritz
12-27-20, 22:09
And you're complaining? :blink:

prdubi
12-28-20, 00:29
I'm content at 50 AK and 50 ARs.

The silliness to me is G3 mags when I got them for 75 cents each at RTGs table at the SAR show.

My last act was Walther PPQ mags but that's settled at 15 now.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

kirkland
12-28-20, 02:30

Anybody know why?

Because they made metric shit tons of magazines after the last panic. It's kinda like the junk wax era of basball card everybody bought when I was a kid, we thought they'd be priceless and rare when we grew up just like our dad's baseball card collection would have been if our grandmother's didn't throw them out. 30 years later come to find out there's pallets and pallets of cards from that era still unopened, they produced so many that none of them will ever be rare or worth anything except maybe $20 for a Griffey Jr. Rookie card. It's the same way with mags, they may be consumable but not nearly as consumable as ammo. And there's way more mags than there are guns.

prdubi
12-28-20, 04:05
Because they made metric shit tons of magazines after the last panic. It's kinda like the junk wax era of basball card everybody bought when I was a kid, we thought they'd be priceless and rare when we grew up just like our dad's baseball card collection would have been if our grandmother's didn't throw them out. 30 years later come to find out there's pallets and pallets of cards from that era still unopened, they produced so many that none of them will ever be rare or worth anything except maybe $20 for a Griffey Jr. Rookie card. It's the same way with mags, they may be consumable but not nearly as consumable as ammo. And there's way more mags than there are guns.Cheaper than dirt bought all of the AUG mags during Sandy..well over 150k of them.
They blew them out in 2014 for 6.99 each.

Really weird to me that 42 rd mags were 6.99 and 30 rd were 8.99.

I'm sitting at 22 mags very content but I want to trade them for Pmag AUGs .

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Arik
12-28-20, 08:03
Because they made metric shit tons of magazines after the last panic. It's kinda like the junk wax era of basball card everybody bought when I was a kid, we thought they'd be priceless and rare when we grew up just like our dad's baseball card collection would have been if our grandmother's didn't throw them out. 30 years later come to find out there's pallets and pallets of cards from that era still unopened, they produced so many that none of them will ever be rare or worth anything except maybe $20 for a Griffey Jr. Rookie card. It's the same way with mags, they may be consumable but not nearly as consumable as ammo. And there's way more mags than there are guns.I remember collecting those. Still have tons of them somewhere.

Also mags aren't one and done like ammo is. I still have mags I never took out of wrapping. AK mags were like $5 at gun shows. Go to a show, spend $25 with a vendor and get 5 nice surplus mags. In 2 weeks go to another show and spend another $25 and get another 5 mags...etc... AR mags were only a little more $$$

Esq.
12-28-20, 09:22

Maybe they think they can do it better?

PatrioticDisorder
12-28-20, 19:03
Just a real time update.

One of my wholesales has a lot of Pmags in stock.

17999 mags for Glock 19s.

19865 mags for CZ Scorpions.

Full size AR and AK mags are still zero inventory but I suspect Magpul ramped up hard for this predictable event and while there is a ton of product on the secondary market, I suspect my wholesalers will be resupplied sooner rather than later.

In demand firearms will be next and then ammo. I think a lot of people over speculated this time and except for ammo the "panic prices" really didn't happen. People were asking $2k for ARs but not many people sold many for that price.

But be ready for that other shoe to drop. The moment Biden and co request some kind of AW ban we might see something even more dramatic than the Sandy Hook attempt. The good news is a lot of product is already out there on the secondary market.

So if you feel you need a few mags, don't turn up your nose at $15 Pmags, just get what you need now. A couple bucks x10 really doesn't matter IMO. If you need a standard kind of firearm, AR, Glock, etc. maybe wait till things normalize a bit and then grab any kind of good deal. In the meantime stack ammo as soon as it's available from your retailer and purchase it like groceries. Every week add a couple boxes to the pile.

I'm pretty flush but I'm low on training ammo. I have my SHTF stock but I'm actually shooting pretty regular lately and don't want to dip into my emergency reserves.

That other shoe will drop next week when the democrats steal both Georgia senate seats.