PDA

View Full Version : FALKOR PETRA 300 WIN MAG, worth it?

heavygunner8
12-30-20, 01:41
I'm thinking about picking one up, purpose will be for stroke toy, range toy, and maybe some hunting in the future. Is the quality worth the price tag?

Red*Lion
12-30-20, 06:06
Only you can decide if the quality is worth the price tag. With that said I watched a 12 minute review of it on TFB and the reviewer loved it.

GH41
12-30-20, 06:51
For that kind of change you could justify flying out to Montana for a demo ride. Carry a box of factory ammo with you.

PracticalRifleman
12-30-20, 07:04
You’ll have to decide value for yourself.

You’d be foolish to choose one for hunting at 10.2 lbs empty without optics. Also a 22” barrel really hamstrings a magnum cartridge, add velocity bleed from the gas system.

I’d choose a hunting rifle for hunting at a fraction of the cost.

But add if all up:

$5k+ rifle in .300
1500 rounds of barrel life
Not reaching normal .300 Win velocities
1.5-2 MOA accuracy
Reports of reliability issues and being ammo sensitive

I personally wouldn’t buy one if they were $1500, let alone $5,000.

But if having a novelty firearm gets you hot and bothered and it’s not a strain on your finances, knock yourself out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PracticalRifleman
12-30-20, 07:06
Only you can decide if the quality is worth the price tag. With that said I watched a 12 minute review of it on TFB and the reviewer loved it.

Seems to me TFB reviewers really aren’t qualified to review the products they do. I watched the review of the Springfield Waypoint and the dude’s experience with bolt action precision rifles was non-existent. Could I really trust a review from one with no basis of comparison?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hohn
12-30-20, 09:47
I'm probably just old and slow on the uptake, but I don't see the point of a rifle like that. I mean, beyond the obvious "because I can and want attention from strangers at the range or the envy of my friends."

The concept is flawed in a couple ways:

1) Why do you need semi-auto capability in a magnum? Your sight recovery will be so slow that there's plenty of time to cycle a bolt gun. The only way around this is with a massively punishing brake and/or huge weight. Don't want to shoot either of those in the field.
2) Assuming you actually showed a use for faster follow up in a big recoiling chamber, why would you choose a belted mag designed for double rifles as the chambering? This is absolutely puzzling. It's been known well over 100y that reliable auto loading and belts don't co-exist, and it's why not a single cartridge designed for any autoloading application uses the belt.

I'm not going to lie, if I saw one of these at the range, I'm judging the owner as someone "all dollars, no sense." (say it aloud for the pun) Like the NBA player that spent $150k on a sports car that he couldn't fit in (never drove it) and traded it in for a 50k loss.

I admit I have a strong bias against the 300WM as the worst cartridge design in common use, more so than my hatred of all belted cases in general. I'll argue all day long it's the worst case design of the top 20 rifle calibers sold/produced in a year, a testament to the utter irrationality of people. But I don't think the Petra become a smart gun design in 300 Norma or 300 PRC or 30 Nosler, so it's not just the chambering I'm picking on.

Disciple
12-30-20, 10:37
I admit I have a strong bias against the 300WM as the worst cartridge design in common use, more so than my hatred of all belted cases in general. I'll argue all day long it's the worst case design of the top 20 rifle calibers sold/produced in a year, a testament to the utter irrationality of people.

Why? (Separate thread, perhaps?)

C-grunt
12-30-20, 17:35
At that price you are getting into the realm of serious bolt guns. Accuracy International, Barret MRAD, GAP, Surgeon, etc... And with guns like the AI and MRAD you also have the possibility of buying barrels in other chamberings too.

Hohn
12-30-20, 21:31
Why? (Separate thread, perhaps?)

PM sent.

GH41
12-31-20, 07:35
At that price you are getting into the realm of serious bolt guns. Accuracy International, Barret MRAD, GAP, Surgeon, etc... And with guns like the AI and MRAD you also have the possibility of buying barrels in other chamberings too.

The MRAD SMR (Not interchangeable barrel) can be had for 4K. I'll take mine in 300 Norma.

JoshNC
12-31-20, 09:26
$5k for a questionable quality, questionable reliability rifle. Nope. Buy yourself a known entity.

Hohn
12-31-20, 10:50
The MRAD SMR (Not interchangeable barrel) can be had for 4K. I'll take mine in 300 Norma.

For the intended use of such a rifle, I would do the exact same thing. SMR in 300 Norma with 7-35 ATACR.

heavygunner8
12-31-20, 14:04
MRAD SMR in 338 LM or 300 Norma? What's the advantage of one over the other?

GH41
12-31-20, 14:39
MRAD SMR in 338 LM or 300 Norma? What's the advantage of one over the other?

This article pretty much answers your question but it doesn't address the cost difference. https://gununiversity.com/300-norma-mag-ballistics-caliber-comparison/#:~:text=300%20Norma%20VS%20338%20Lapua&text=The%20338%20Lapua%20Mag%20packs,is%20close%20to%20the%20same.

Pappabear
12-31-20, 15:22
I had to look this rifle up, but 300WM is tuff to reliably shoot out of a gasser. For $5k I'd be buying a KAC in 6.5CM, for shooting long range. Nemo makes a 300WM gasser that a buddy of mine bought and had multiple issues. With the range of bullets weights and velocities has to make it tuff to build a gas gun in 300WM.

In 6.5CM the bulk of ammo is 120grain to 147 grain (27g variance) vs 300WM 180g to 230g (50g variance). But you should be able to find a load the gun likes, and like was already said, if it tickles your fancy and you have the corn pile, go for it.

PB

Coal Dragger
01-03-21, 21:39
Hmmmm.... $5K budget for a hunting rifle?

Pure hunting choice: Blaser R8 and a couple of barrels to cover as many game animals as possible.

Occasional hunting and mostly range or target work: AI, Barrett or a custom build heavy barrel bolt gun.