PDA

View Full Version : B52 on alert in Persian Gulf as bomb exploded at Yemen airport

Sam
12-30-20, 09:49
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/b-52s-persian-gulf-iran-attacks-feared-us-ready-to-thwart

As bomb exploded at Yemen airport.

https://www.foxnews.com/world/explosion-shots-fired-at-yemen-airport

Coal Dragger
12-30-20, 13:56
Cool, maybe we can fly 20 B-52’s over the runway and bomb it some more.

hotrodder636
12-30-20, 14:20
I am just impressed that B-52s are still part of the US war machine.

Pappabear
12-30-20, 16:15
Since 1955, probably has a crate of 1911's in there somewhere.

PB

Coal Dragger
12-30-20, 16:52

PB

LOL.

All the unaccounted for Singer made 1911’s, unissued in a crate, packed in grease in 100% condition.

Sam
12-30-20, 18:27
Don't know about that. May be a bunch of S&W model 12 or 15. Back when I was a young lad, I had some business that took me through an air force arms room. It was a huge room. Racks and racks of ARs, S&W revolvers (lots of 15 - 4" and 2") but not many 1911 jumped out at me.

Business_Casual
12-30-20, 18:51
Biden is President, time for shenanigans.

chuckman
12-30-20, 19:33
Now, now...we used 1911s through the early 2000s. I bet some were even as old as the first generation B-52s.

I wouldn't be surprised if Iran wants to get froggy with Trump and the US still distracted by the election. Good for him and the NCA for showing some muscle.

ddbtoth
12-30-20, 21:36
Now, now...we used 1911s through the early 2000s. I bet some were even as old as the first generation B-52s.

I wouldn't be surprised if Iran wants to get froggy with Trump and the US still distracted by the election. Good for him and the NCA for showing some muscle.
This would be the worst time to get froggy with Trump. Trump has nothing to lose.

SteyrAUG
12-30-20, 22:30
Don't know about that. May be a bunch of S&W model 12 or 15. Back when I was a young lad, I had some business that took me through an air force arms room. It was a huge room. Racks and racks of ARs, S&W revolvers (lots of 15 - 4" and 2") but not many 1911 jumped out at me.

Don't ruin it for us, I was almost there.

Averageman
12-30-20, 23:48
I'm not sure what "Danger Close" on a B-52 strike is, but the bastards made my Chili Mac fall off my plate.
It was a hell of a thing to watch though.

Adrenaline_6
12-31-20, 10:59
Some Marine unit in charge of ATC in some area during the Gulf War came to my Air Guard unit awhile after the carpet bombing and explained what it was like. The said it knocked their equipment offline 20 miles away. If this is true, near ground zero where the Iraqis were hidden in bunkers must have been torturous beyond comprehension. No wonder they came out in droves with white flags.

ABNAK
12-31-20, 11:06
I'm not sure what "Danger Close" on a B-52 strike is, but the bastards made my Chili Mac fall off my plate.

IIRC the "big one" at Khe Sanh was like 600m from the Marine lines. The NVA had been digging trenches ever-closer to the combat base, and were eventually expected to attempt a Dien Bien Phu stunt where thousands of them poured out of trenches real close in and overwhelm the defenders. That strike demolished those trenches and not long after that the NVA said "Fvck it" and started pulling back into Laos, figuring they weren't gonna be able to pull it off after all.

m1a_scoutguy
12-31-20, 12:00

PB

LOL.

All the unaccounted for Singer made 1911’s, unissued in a crate, packed in grease in 100% condition.

When I was in the AF @ DMAFB (75/79) and we went over to the Boneyard we/me always tried to get into the B-52 stored there but could never get in,saw Security coming etc ! We always heard there was a Survival Kit in the bombers that had 1911s in them ! Didn't know about the Singers at the time but I have read that most were issued to the AF and the pilots !

Averageman
12-31-20, 12:41
Some Marine unit in charge of ATC in some area during the Gulf War came to my Air Guard unit awhile after the carpet bombing and explained what it was like. The said it knocked their equipment offline 20 miles away. If this is true, near ground zero where the Iraqis were hidden in bunkers must have been torturous beyond comprehension. No wonder they came out in droves with white flags.

I was with the Marines in the Gulf War. Tiger Brigade, 1/67 Armor. 2nd AD.
We moved and got organized right up to the last minute and those B-52's came in and dropped for 14 straight hours before we crossed the minefields.
I remember looking over and seeing the Marines in the Tank next to me hit a mine as we cleared our lane. watching them do First Aid, I wondered how in the hell the Corpsmen would make it to them.
I believe I was the first Tank to cross. We made it another 200 or so yards after the supposed end of the mine field, set the blade back down and hit a hell of a mine.

chuckman
12-31-20, 12:42

Danger close for any platform is 600 meters, but the ground truth is dependent on speed, direction to travel, and altitude. Those 600 meters can be 300 or 2,000 in the blink of an eye If any of those variables are screwed up.

We almost always had JTAC-qualified people with us, which we really needed for those high altitude missions where we never saw the aircraft. Those guys could park a 2,000 lb bomb at exactly 600 m, their skill was just phenomenal. The rest of us could call in CAS much easier for Harriers or A-10s, or helicopters.