PDA

View Full Version : Neat tip for kinetic pullers

jsbhike
01-01-21, 19:30
In case anyone else is a few years behind like I usually am, use a shell holder instead of the o-ring collet gadget.

https://youtu.be/KqxNQXq8vK8

blade_68
01-01-21, 22:31
Dang I should have thought of that decade plus ago. Especially after I got a bad batch of 308 ammo and had to pull what was left of the 500 rnds.

CrowCommand
01-02-21, 06:42
Brilliant.....discussed in video at 8:30

markm
01-02-21, 08:21
You gotta be shittin me. I have to try this.

jsbhike
01-02-21, 08:52
I tried a few 9mm I had been procrastinating on and it also works with the shell holders for Lee priming tools.

TomMcC
01-02-21, 11:00
I don't pull many bullets, but that is definitely something I'm going to try....even after like a hundred years of using the o ring set up. The o ring is slow.

Boy, that guy had a lot of goodies in the shop.

markm
01-02-21, 12:00
I don't pull many bullets,

I don't pull too many either, but I've used the o-ring collet ass ache thingies forever.

I have an old LNL single stage dedicated to .223 collet pulling cuz the press it too worn out for any serious loading. .223 bullets are usually too light to efficiently use the kinetic puller.

PracticalRifleman
01-02-21, 17:52
I used to do mine this way years ago. I stopped after a couple rims for deformed on expensive brass. I’ll only use this method as a last resort or on bulk stuff where it doesn’t matter if I mess up a case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TomMcC
01-02-21, 18:13
I used to do mine this way years ago. I stopped after a couple rims for deformed on expensive brass. I’ll only use this method as a last resort or on bulk stuff where it doesn’t matter if I mess up a case.

So what was causing the deformation? The unsupported side of the shell holder, the general looseness of shell holders, or something else?

PracticalRifleman
01-02-21, 18:18
So what was causing the deformation? The unsupported side of the shell holder, the general looseness of shell holders, or something else?

I speculate that it was the shell holder having some degree of slop and being made of harder material than brass. The more neck tension the cartridge has, the more kinetic energy you need to unseat the bullet...the case, I believe, also takes that energy.

AndyLate
01-03-21, 16:07
I don't pull too many either, but I've used the o-ring collet ass ache thingies forever.

I have an old LNL single stage dedicated to .223 collet pulling cuz the press it too worn out for any serious loading. .223 bullets are usually too light to efficiently use the kinetic puller.

I have a big Herters single stage press dedicated to primer pocket swaging at the moment. It's good to have spare presses.

Andy

Bimmer
01-08-21, 19:59
Dang, I've never needed shell holders for anything (I bleed Dillon blue), but I just ordered a RCBS #27 to pull down the odd .40S&W cartridge that I flub...

duece71
01-11-21, 22:16
Great tip, I’ll have to try it out.

sjoliat
01-12-21, 20:09
Has anyone done any testing on how much a collet puller distorts a bullet compared to a kinetic puller? I get that using a shell holder in a kinetic puller is an improvement, but it still isn't exactly quick - especially if you had any real quantity to deal with. I currently use an RCBS collet puller which seems comparable in speed, but have been considering the Hornady cam lock puller for increased speed. So has anyone had issues where collet pulled bullets created accuracy issues?

jsbhike
01-14-21, 05:44
Has anyone done any testing on how much a collet puller distorts a bullet compared to a kinetic puller? I get that using a shell holder in a kinetic puller is an improvement, but it still isn't exactly quick - especially if you had any real quantity to deal with. I currently use an RCBS collet puller which seems comparable in speed, but have been considering the Hornady cam lock puller for increased speed. So has anyone had issues where collet pulled bullets created accuracy issues?

I am sure the shell holder in the kinetic puller isn't nearly as fast as a press mounted mechanical puller. I think my biggest batch I decided to pull was 100 cartridges and that was with the o-ring collet deal which sucked, but would have been tolerable with the shell holder. Beyond that quantity I would be purchasing a mechanical pull set up.

I haven't tried an accuracy check so not sure other than obvious defects. I have purchased mechanical pulls where some had marks(not much different than a cannelure) that may/may not have an effect on accuracy, but a few were mangled. A kinetic puller without padding in the catch tip will definitely distort softer lead tips so with that consideration both methods probably can be viewed as 6 of 1 and 1/2 dozen of the other.