PDA

View Full Version : Good 1911 Grips

Outlander Systems
12-03-08, 18:33
Anyone know of any grips for the 1911, with a Magpul MIAD-type texture?

I'm not really looking into anything relatively smooth, or anything rubberized.

Outlander Systems
12-03-08, 18:47
That was a bit on the vague side; let me be more specific.

Looking for a shootout of various drop-in grips, that are rigid, durable, and polymer.

Pro's / Con's of various available grip options.
Experience with a particular grip.
Etc.

Rana
12-03-08, 21:45
MIL-TEC and SIMONICH (aka GUNNER GRIPS) seem to be the standard.

Daveo
12-03-08, 21:50

They are VERY grippy though, even with the points knocked down.

Dozer
12-03-08, 22:07
I am running VZ double diamond ultra slims on my SA. It gives my 30lpi checkering a good balance since it's not too aggresive but not too slick either.

rly45acp
12-03-08, 22:31
Larry Davidson's G-10 Warthog grips. Best grips I've ever used and they are on two 1911's. CT laser grips on a couple of more. I like the laser, but truthfully, I prefer the Warthogs.

.308holes
12-03-08, 23:01

+1, got them on 2 1911's, good stuff. If they are too rough, just hit them with a little sandpaper until you get your desired grip. Out of the bag they are sharp, but you won't drop it it it's wet!

(I think they are on page 34 in the big Brownells book.)

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn282/308-holes/Duracoat/DSC_1534.jpg

jmart
12-03-08, 23:23
What's the consensus on ERGO grips, either the hard rubber or the rigid polymer?

BAC
12-04-08, 00:07
If you mean the ERGO XTR's, I'd pass. I picked up a pair (hard rubber) because they were inexpensive, but they don't provide enough traction once you start sweating. This isn't as evident when casually shooting, but during the handgun course I took in July it was pretty clear these grips would only be temporary. I just haven't got around to picking up new ones. Good short term solution, but if I could do it over again I'd have just sprung for the Gunner or VZ grips.

I was meaning to pick the brains of this community on this exact subject; nice to see someone did it for me. :D

-B

.308holes
12-04-08, 01:06
What's the consensus on ERGO grips, either the hard rubber or the rigid polymer?

If it is smooth, you will have trouble with them. Sweat, blood, rain, even cold. The gunners grips work good with gloves on, better if you can work with bare hands on a short training stint or having to use them in a self defense capacity. The ergo grips and other "plasticy" grips don't afford the same gripability.

HOWEVER.... if you carry that thing concealed, and aginst the skin, they can be pretty uncomfortable in the truck with the seatbelt on, or walking where it will create a hell of a sore spot. While if you wear it outside the shirt, under another shirt or jacket and they can ruin a good shirt if your grips ride close enough to rub on the shirt.

Most of your GOOD grip (for righty shooters) is in the front strap, and back strap, nominal on the palm. If you use the gunners grips, you may want to sand down the "weak side" grip, or the one closest to the body to make it a little more comfortable. You get only a minimal amount of GOOD gripping surface there, unless you do ALOT of weakhand practice, (c'mon we all don't do as much as we should) In the grand scheme of things, you'll have good grips, and be comfortable.

TUNNEL RAT 33
12-04-08, 01:22
+ 1 for simonich . i have two sets on my 1911s , great grips

lanceriley
12-04-08, 06:21
any wooden grip always ranks no.1 for me

No.6
12-04-08, 06:44
Just took a look at the Warthog grips. Sure do look good.
Way back when I owned a 1911 I had the Hogue grips and really liked them. Used them to shoot IPSC and never had any problems even in the middle of a South Texas summer. I'm returning to shooting a 1911 gun after many years of polymer SA/DA guns, so this thread is a good read for me. Thanks one and all for the great info.

theJanitor
12-04-08, 10:16
I use the Gunner grips, but like 308holes said, they can actually rub off skin! i find that with better frontstrap checkering, i can use less aggressive grips.

rob_s
12-04-08, 10:22
I am running VZ double diamond ultra slims on my SA. It gives my 30lpi checkering a good balance since it's not too aggresive but not too slick either.

These came on my YB1* and are now my favorite.

I also like the Davidson Half Hogs (http://davidsonknives.com/grips/halfhog.htm) in a concealed carry gun.

M4tographer
12-04-08, 12:16
VZ double diamond in red/black. I like them aethetically because they look like wood, but physically because they aren't sharp while providing excellent grip. I put a Pearce finger groove insert in (was like $7) and it gave me a nice 'custom' grip.

kymarkh
12-04-08, 15:59
Gunner grips get my vote. Aggressive texture, impervious to solvents and oils, wide range of colors available. I've had one coyote brown set for 3-4 years that have worn in from use with gloves and are very comfortable while still providing good grip. The others I took sandpaper to immediately so they werent so rough on the hands.

ThirdWatcher
12-04-08, 16:47
I've got Mil-Tac G-10 grips on four of my 1911's and I couldn't be happier. :)

Outlander Systems
01-15-09, 18:31
Anyone know anything about these:

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=26566&title=1911%20AUTO%20EXTENDED%20MAGWELL/GRIP%20KITS

I still haven't settled on a grip yet...

The Dumb Gun Collector
01-15-09, 18:46
I am slowly going back to the classic checkered wood grips. They are fine, and look better than plastic.

RyanB
01-15-09, 18:46
I usually spend 16 hours a day with VZ micarta double diamonds against me. I'm sold.

DocGKR
01-15-09, 18:50
After trying numerous 1911 grips over the past 25 years, I have settled on Simonich Gunner grips for pistols with golf balls, scallops, and stippling; VZ Diamond Back grips for pistols with checkering; and Pachmeyer GM-45C rubber grips for pistols with smooth front straps.

Outlander Systems
01-15-09, 19:08
I really dig the look of the Pachmayr American Legend grips. I don't know how they perform, or if I want wood on my 1911. I've got an attitude problem about wood on defensive weaponry, but I can't help but like those grips. I'm looking for something a little more modern.

P.S.
Rob, you ever going to get around to making "The Chart" for 1911s?

maximus83
01-16-09, 00:22

+1 on VZ. I'm running double-diamond regulars, and love them. Just the right balance beween "grippy" and "comfortable."

David Thomas
01-16-09, 07:18
I am slowly going back to the classic checkered wood grips. They are fine, and look better than plastic.

Amen. I love a nice set of wood grips on a 1911.

In my opinion if you are not going to put some nice cocobolo, walnut, or ironwood grips on a 1911, you might as well take advantage of the Crimson Trace laser grips.

RyanB
01-16-09, 07:35
I've not found an advantage in using laser grips on a full sized handgun. YMMV.

Outlander Systems
01-16-09, 21:52
On a purely aesthetic side-note, does anyone manufacture any Foliage Green 1911 grips?

jtb0311
01-18-09, 10:14
On a purely aesthetic side-note, does anyone manufacture any Foliage Green 1911 grips?

They have different names for the color, but yes...

http://www.vzgrips.com/grips.html
http://www.simonichknives.com/gunner.htm

VA_Dinger
01-24-11, 00:27
Larry Davidson's G-10 Warthog grips. Best grips I've ever used and they are on two 1911's. CT laser grips on a couple of more. I like the laser, but truthfully, I prefer the Warthogs.

I would have to agree.

I have always preferred Warthogs myself.

In fact I just emailed Larry to order another set tonight.

http://davidsonknives.com/grips/grips.htm

rbabbitt767
01-24-11, 09:24
Are there any places that actually have the original pattern Simonich grips? The ones that you get when you order from Brownells, etc. are not the true golf ball pattern. I've been looking for some of those for a Government 1911 for a long time.

Rezarf2
01-24-11, 10:16
Are there any places that actually have the original pattern Simonich grips? The ones that you get when you order from Brownells, etc. are not the true golf ball pattern. I've been looking for some of those for a Government 1911 for a long time.

I love simonich gunner grips. I buy them everytime I see them... needed or not. Then I sell them to a buddy or a family member who wants them. Buy 'em when you see them.

The Gunner Grips were the best grips ever (IMHO) produced by knife maker Simonich. Sadly, he past away a few years ago, leaving behind his sweet wife. Strider knives stepped in and continued to produce the original Gunner Grips for a while, to help provide income for Mrs. Simonich. Then at some point they changed to the oval patter verses the golf ball pattern. Brownells carrys them. There were rumors of returning to the original pattern, but we haven't seen it yet.

Drew

Redhat
01-24-11, 10:17
Looks like you can order them right off the Simonich knives web site.

pjchang7
01-24-11, 10:24
+1 on VZ

rbabbitt767
01-24-11, 10:24
If I remember correctly, when contacting the Simonich web site, you are directed to Strider/Brownells to the new oval pattern.

VooDoo6Actual
01-24-11, 10:30
Christine Simmonich will happily take your order w/ no issues or drama.

rbabbitt767
01-24-11, 10:34
Fantastic! I'll have to give her a call. Are there any variations in texture between the colors?

Rezarf2
01-24-11, 11:06
Fantastic! I'll have to give her a call. Are there any variations in texture between the colors?

None that I have ever experienced.

rushca01
01-24-11, 11:07
Christine Simmonich will happily take your order w/ no issues or drama.

It was my understanding you could only get them in black, can you get them in CB again?

VooDoo6Actual
01-24-11, 12:19
I was able to get 6 pairs of Coyote from Christine last year for my 1911's.

Some w/ flat bottom & some w/ bevel & all original pattern etc.

Rezarf2
01-24-11, 12:45

Yup, it can be hit or miss if she has them in stock, but the wait isn't long at all when she is conducting another run.

d90king
01-24-11, 13:02
I really have come to like the 10-8 G10 double diamonds. They are very aggressive when they arrive but they also send a piece of fine grit paper to take the edges down to "your" preference...

For a more traditional set of grips I really like the VZ Ghost grips... Plenty of texture but retains a bit of the old school look...

10-8's
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t5/d90king/DSCN0199.jpg
VZ Ghost
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t5/d90king/DSCN0035.jpg

bbiggun
01-24-11, 13:48
I just put on a set or Ergo XT grips last week and I love it. The texture on these grips gives firm and secure hold on the pistol and yet not too abrasive. The best part is that they are inexpensive, what more can you ask for. :) Highly recommended!

rushca01
01-24-11, 14:00
Yup, it can be hit or miss if she has them in stock, but the wait isn't long at all when she is conducting another run.

Just fired off an email to her, thanks again.

Paul45
01-25-11, 07:57
I have VZ grips on 5 of my working 1911's. I just ordered 2 more pair last night for my BBQ 1911's. High quality, great designs, and they really grip your hand - wet, dry, cold, etc. - they work.

Street Survival
01-25-11, 09:21
Strider Gunner Grips are very nice and effective.

High Desert
01-25-11, 09:49
I am currently running 10-8 scoops on a Government Model that seem very durable and provide and excellent purchase. The large scoop feels noticeably different than standard grips though.

This gun is my ranch gun so it gets knocked around quite a bit doing chores.

HD

rbabbitt767
01-25-11, 10:27
Would it be any trouble for people that have the original pattern gunner grips to post pictures of their guns/grips?