PDA

View Full Version : Sbr compensators

Derek33
01-03-21, 17:00
I apologize for the “which muzzle device thread” but I couldn’t quite find what I was looking for.

I’m nearing the end of my first sbr build. Every thread I find about picking a muzzle device for a 10.3 suggest a flash hider over a comp. unfortunately I live in MA where we cannot have flash hiders. Only comps.

I currently have a surefire socom which I heard is super obnoxious on a 10.3. But I also have the warden.

I was curious if there’s another comp out there that you’d recommend be less concussive compared the socom with a warden.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

opngrnd
01-03-21, 17:32
Does something like the Battlecomp or BCM comp qualify? I've had the BCM, and I currently have the SOCOM. Even on a 14" bbl, the SOCOM is atrocious. I don't remember feeling that way when I had BCM's comp, I just felt like they were a little off describing their comp as being similar to the A2.

ViniVidivici
01-03-21, 20:14
From what I've read from others, the BCM would probably be the way to go.

AndyLate
01-03-21, 21:47
I am running a Black River Covert Comp on my 11.3" 5.56. A linear comp is the best bet for pushing blast/concussion downrange, assuming you won't be running a suppressor. My 2 BCM Comps have been replaced by A2 FHs, just didnt impress me.

On the other hand, they are probably as close you can get to an A2 FH and still have a compensator.

Andy

MistWolf
01-03-21, 22:08
I am running a Black River Covert Comp on my 11.3" 5.56. A linear comp is the best bet for pushing blast/concussion downrange, assuming you won't be running a suppressor.

I have personally shot a shorty with the BRT Covert Comp. Not quite as good as an A2 for flash suppresion (the flash is like a small jet, not a star or fireball), but it's excellent for pushing concussion downrange. I give the BRT Covert Comp the Wolf Hollow Research Center Seal of Approval

gaijin
01-04-21, 01:22
Precision Armament EFAB “Hybrid” comp is rated (by them) for barrels as short as 10”.
I have one on a 10.3” and it is doable.

opngrnd
01-04-21, 04:49
I am running a Black River Covert Comp on my 11.3" 5.56. A linear comp is the best bet for pushing blast/concussion downrange, assuming you won't be running a suppressor. My 2 BCM Comps have been replaced by A2 FHs, just didnt impress me.

On the other hand, they are probably as close you can get to an A2 FH and still have a compensator.

Andy

I have personally shot a shorty with the BRT Covert Comp. Not quite as good as an A2 for flash suppresion (the flash is like a small jet, not a star or fireball), but it's excellent for pushing concussion downrange. I give the BRT Covert Comp the Wolf Hollow Research Center Seal of Approval

I've also had good luck with the BRT Covert Comp. I have one on my SPR.

sdacbob
01-04-21, 22:13
There is also the old Yankee Hill Phantom flash hider/ Comp.

okie
01-05-21, 00:23
Jerry Miculek did a review on something a while back that was basically a suppressor and somehow escaped classification. It obviously worked really well as a brake, and you could hear the difference even on film.

I would stay away from comps. A good brake will pretty much take care of it, and the blast shields like the warden will take care of the concussion. Under no circumstances would I put an unshielded comp or brake on an SBR.

Keep in mind that a comp can't work with a shield on it, whereas a brake can. Comps work by using a jet of gas like a rocket to push the muzzle down, whereas brakes work like sails on a ship to pull the forward, which has some comp effect because forward isn't up.

03Infantry415
01-05-21, 10:41
I had a Griffin Arms M4SD Tac comp on a previous 11.5 and it had a very flat recoil impulse. Little bit of a blast as expected but no where near as much as a side port comp would.

B Cart
01-05-21, 15:15
Precision Armament EFAB “Hybrid” comp is rated (by them) for barrels as short as 10”.
I have one on a 10.3” and it is doable.

I also run a Precision Armament EFAB on a short barrel, and it's probably the best comp i've found for short barrels, from a 'felt concussion' standpoint.

If i'm not running suppressed, I've also found that flash cans that project the blast forward, like the Noveske Pig, are pretty effective at mitigating the felt concussion etc to the shooter.

georgeib
01-05-21, 20:16
Surprised that no one has brought up the Surefire Warcomp. I don't have one, but I've read good things about them.

opngrnd
01-05-21, 20:22
Surprised that no one has brought up the Surefire Warcomp. I don't have one, but I've read good things about them.

Good point. I enjoy the Warcomp most, but was thinking of it in the context of being a flash hider/mount. But it's still a comp. Only negatives are that they ring and are out of stock everywhere at the moment.

03Infantry415
01-05-21, 21:37

First one I thought of. It says "comp" in the name but isn't it technically a flash hider? It does great on a 11.5 and isn't too obnoxious.

Korgs130
01-07-21, 14:34
Another vote for the EFAB. I had a BCM Comp on my 11.5” BCM SBR for several years. I was fine, but it very blasty with a lot of concussion and a fair amount t of muzzle flash. Extra annoying indoors. I switched to the EFAB Hybrid Muzzle Brake last summer and I am happy with the results. Less noticeable flash and way less concussion.

SonOfAGunn
01-07-21, 14:53

They're effective, but I had to time mine so it'd work the way I like. I installed mine with the ports at the 12 o'clock position initially but when firing my muzzle would push to the right. Since timing those things are a pain and I used Rockset I just delt with it if I wasn't shooting suppressed. Eventually I got tired of dealing with it and timed it so that the ports were at the 3 o'clock position and now it's good. I have it on an 11.5" barrel.

Edit, I re-read your post. Mine is a closed tine warcomp not the 3 prong. I'm not sure if those perform in the same manner as mine.