PDA

View Full Version : Starting point / baseline for LMT Piston with A5 RE kit?

jakeb
01-07-21, 08:00
Greetings Everyone.

Wanted to see if the group here has any starting point configs that are known good for LMT Piston top ends running on A5 RE `style` setups (buffer/spring combo).

There is an upper that I would like to start running (LMT 12.5" Piston) yet most of my lowers are A5 RE equipped.

The piston realm is new to me and from what LMT told me to start with I was wondering if this group had any input...their recommendation standard CAR RE and CAR buffer.

Thanks,

Jake

01-07-21, 12:45
If it doesn’t run with a standard A5 setup something is wrong.

Hohn
01-08-21, 17:03
I have no experience with piston uppers but I suspect you might find that it will run almost anything you throw at it within the normal realm. I'd start with the standard A5H2 and maybe consider an A5H3 if for some reason you think it's helpful. A5s seem to have a pretty wide operating range (many 5.56 guns run A5H4 just fine, so I think you might be thinking buffer weight with that upper is more significant than it is. It might be just as simple as A5H2 and be done.

GH41
01-14-21, 09:47
Greetings Everyone.

Wanted to see if the group here has any starting point configs that are known good for LMT Piston top ends running on A5 RE `style` setups (buffer/spring combo).

There is an upper that I would like to start running (LMT 12.5" Piston) yet most of my lowers are A5 RE equipped.

The piston realm is new to me and from what LMT told me to start with I was wondering if this group had any input...their recommendation standard CAR RE and CAR buffer.

Thanks,

Jake

Why don't you try the piston gun with one of the A5 buffers you already have? If I had to buy one for an unknown rifle combination it would be the H5... You can always make it lighter.

Hohn
01-15-21, 18:02
Why don't you try the piston gun with one of the A5 buffers you already have? If I had to buy one for an unknown rifle combination it would be the H5... You can always make it lighter.
Do you mean the A5H4? I understand this to be the nomenclature for the A5 buffer with all four weights being the tungsten ones. If there is an H5 I don't believe it is a VLTOR product.

GH41
01-16-21, 08:25
Do you mean the A5H4? I understand this to be the nomenclature for the A5 buffer with all four weights being the tungsten ones. If there is an H5 I don't believe it is a VLTOR product.

My bad... H4 is correct.

LMT Shooter
01-18-21, 18:11
Greetings Everyone.

Thanks,

Jake

My 16" piston gun came from the factory with a H2 buffer, but that was 10 or more years ago. Are they currently shipping with standard buffer?

czgunner
01-18-21, 19:08
Not sure if it helps, but I run my 10” 516 with an A5 and Slashes heavy buffer.