PDA

View Full Version : Rise of Empires: Ottoman

WillBrink
01-11-21, 08:52
There may not be undead dragons and one ring to rule them all like GOT and LOR, but the the story is ever bit as good. The difference is, it's not fiction. The epic quest of Ottoman Sultan Mehmed II to take Constantinople from the last Roman Byzantine emperor Constantine XI, is the penultimate event to the rise of the Ottoman's. This series is part fictionalized historical movie and part documentary similar to Grant (Which was must see BTW). There's politics, spies, mercenaries, intrigue, and epic battles, that changes the course of history for hundreds of years. While I knew of the basics of the history, I learned a ton from this mini series, and if you can be entertained and learn something, that's win win. A-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRuOTkSgDbs

Hank6046
01-11-21, 08:56
Yeah this little series was pretty good. I wish there were more of these types of series on TV instead of Ice Road truckers or Reality TV.

MikhailBarracuda91
01-11-21, 09:03
It's good! I watched while running on the treadmill

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

JediGuy
01-11-21, 09:26
There may not be undead dragons and one ring to rule them all like GOT and LOR, but the the story is ever bit as good. The difference is, it's not fiction. The epic quest of Ottoman Sultan Mehmed II to take Constantinople from the last Roman Byzantine emperor Constantine XI, is the penultimate event to the rise of the Ottoman's. This series is part fictionalized historical movie and part documentary similar to Grant (Which was must see BTW). There's politics, spies, mercenaries, intrigue, and epic battles, that changes the course of history for hundreds of years. While I knew of the basics of the history, I learned a ton from this mini series, and if you can be entertained and learn something, that's win win. A-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRuOTkSgDbs

Where did you watch? Looks like it hits Netflix on Jan 24

WillBrink
01-11-21, 09:35
Where did you watch? Looks like it hits Netflix on Jan 24

History channel.

WillBrink
01-11-21, 09:37
Yeah this little series was pretty good. I wish there were more of these types of series on TV instead of Ice Road truckers or Reality TV.

Did you see Grant? Outstanding. They followed up with a similar series on the Civil War, also quite good. History channel is getting back to well, history, and they're doing great job of it too. See also America: Our Defining Hours. All of those I reviewed here on a search.

So, more encouragement we can give, more of that we will see.

Arik
01-11-21, 09:53
Where did you watch? Looks like it hits Netflix on Jan 24History channel. Episodes 1-3 were on Saturday and episodes 4-6 were Sunday

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

JediGuy
01-11-21, 10:27
Awesome. I don’t have History, but look forward to it being available soon.

Dr. Bullseye
01-11-21, 12:18
I learned something so I will give it a 6 on a scale of 1-10. I would rather have ammo and be shooting on a Sunday afternoon. But, that ain't happening. We can all expect the History Channel to slowly wind down with subject matter until we hit bottom and reach The Joe Biden Story.

Hank6046
01-11-21, 12:28
Did you see Grant? Outstanding. They followed up with a similar series on the Civil War, also quite good. History channel is getting back to well, history, and they're doing great job of it too. See also America: Our Defining Hours. All of those I reviewed here on a search.

So, more encouragement we can give, more of that we will see.

No, thanks. I didn't know that they did more of them. I don't watch a whole lot of TV or Netflix other than a few things series when sitting on a treadmill at the gym and normally would put on a podcast or hunting show.

WillBrink
01-11-21, 12:29
I learned something so I will give it a 6 on a scale of 1-10. I would rather have ammo and be shooting on a Sunday afternoon. But, that ain't happening. We can all expect the History Channel to slowly wind down with subject matter until we hit bottom and reach The Joe Biden Story.

But they have been winding up the subject matter and quality and getting back to actually covering history. Credit where credit is due.

RHINOWSO
01-11-21, 12:30
Great series, I watched it as well.

Very well done.

WillBrink
01-11-21, 14:41
No, thanks. I didn't know that they did more of them. I don't watch a whole lot of TV or Netflix other than a few things series when sitting on a treadmill at the gym and normally would put on a podcast or hunting show.

Grant was based on a book, supposedly very good if you prefer that route. These days if I have time for a book, I'm writing them vs reading them. I used to be a big reader.

Hank6046
01-11-21, 15:03
Grant was based on a book, supposedly very good if you prefer that route. These days if I have time for a book, I'm writing them vs reading them. I used to be a big reader.

So I've read quite a bit about Grant especially about taking of Vicksburg. I'll probably have to try and find it and watch it.

WillBrink
01-11-21, 15:13
So I've read quite a bit about Grant especially about taking of Vicksburg. I'll probably have to try and find it and watch it.

I knew the basics of battles won etc, learned a lot about the man in the 3 part series and for me, filled in a lot of gaps that made me realize he believed in what he was doing and why he was doing it. Thread:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?223363-General-Grant-On-History-Channel&highlight=Grant

Hank6046
01-11-21, 15:29
I knew the basics of battles won etc, learned a lot about the man in the 3 part series and for me, filled in a lot of gaps that made me realize he believed in what he was doing and why he was doing it. Thread:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?223363-General-Grant-On-History-Channel&highlight=Grant

Thank you. I didn't know that they had so many. Other than Netflix, Amazon Prime and HBO we just have basic channels so I don't have the history channel but I'm sure I'll have to dig for these.

Going back, I did really like the doc on the Ottomans, for one, I have a work college who lives in Istanbul and he's not only one of the best guys I've worked with in my career, he's also super funny and intelligent. Having been to Iraq and certain parts of the middle-east (Oman, Qatar, Saudi etc...) you start to think of how broad the scope is of these different peoples and how the Ottomans for lack of a better term brought them all together, and it is sort of amazing.

WillBrink
01-11-21, 17:23
Thank you. I didn't know that they had so many. Other than Netflix, Amazon Prime and HBO we just have basic channels so I don't have the history channel but I'm sure I'll have to dig for these.

Going back, I did really like the doc on the Ottomans, for one, I have a work college who lives in Istanbul and he's not only one of the best guys I've worked with in my career, he's also super funny and intelligent. Having been to Iraq and certain parts of the middle-east (Oman, Qatar, Saudi etc...) you start to think of how broad the scope is of these different peoples and how the Ottomans for lack of a better term brought them all together, and it is sort of amazing.

I need to learn more about that era and region for sure as it's not a strong area for me, and historically accurate, vs BS movies like 300, etc, are of real benefit. Such a damn shame the region such a cluster considering the history.

kaiservontexas
01-11-21, 19:23
There is one similar to this in that it uses dramatizations to teach the history that is about Herman the German, popularly known as Arminus. It is on Netflix. I think it is just called Barbarians. I remember barbarians being in the title. Sorry that I do not recall the title.

Arik
01-11-21, 19:27
There is one similar to this in that it uses dramatizations to teach the history that is about Herman the German, popularly known as Arminus. It is on Netflix. I think it is just called Barbarians. I remember barbarians being in the title. Sorry that I do not recall the title.There was a show called "Barbarians" on History. There was also a show about Herman. He apparently had a younger brother who stayed "Roman" and went back to Rome!

There used to be lots of good shows on history and similar channels.

kaiservontexas
01-11-21, 19:30
It is called “Barbarians.” I thought it had more to the title.

Here is a link to the official Netflix trailer.

https://youtu.be/-cA7kwBSUaU

Arik
01-11-21, 19:32
It is called “Barbarians.” I thought it had more to the title.

Here is a link to the official Netflix trailer.

https://youtu.be/-cA7kwBSUaUOh I see. Like an actual show

kaiservontexas
01-11-21, 19:39
Oh I see. Like an actual show

Yes, but it is pretty much on the nose about it. I actually bought a documentary series about the Germanic barbarians once on Microsoft movies & tv app on my Xbox one, which was annoying. I do not recall the name of it. They had Jesse Jackson yapping about agendas in it, and I did that several years ago. I was so annoyed spent money on it, but the Netflix one that came out last year is actually good. I have come across other history dramatization documentaries but cannot recall their names. I know there was one on Rome done years ago, which I think was the first time they started doing this type of thing. Have actors act out the situations and then have ‘experts’ discuss those moments in time. I am glad they have been making more and more of this type of history programs.