PDA

View Full Version : always full length size?

bigshooter
12-03-08, 22:05
wondering if I can just neck size my .5.56/.223?. I know that if i'ts going to be used in more than one rifle that typically you should not, however the (3) rifles I will be using it in are all noveske N4's.

are the chambers going to be identical, atleast enough to be gtg with just neck sizing?.

is it ever a good idea to neck size with semi auto's?.

thanks.

jmart
12-03-08, 22:11
FL resize. Even though it's a Noveske, it doesn't matter. All semi-autos require FL resizing. If you have a bolt gun, it OK to neck size for it, but not for semi-autos.

bigshooter
12-03-08, 22:39
right on, that's what i thought.

thanks

brown3345
12-04-08, 04:56
FL resize. Even though it's a Noveske, it doesn't matter. All semi-autos require FL resizing. If you have a bolt gun, it OK to neck size for it, but not for semi-autos.

Just what I was going to say. FL resizing is so important in semi autos and dangerous game guns but I do neck size in my target and varmint bolt guns. Case life is longer when you neck size and the round does fit snug in the chamber. All a big plus when you want to hit those prarie dogs WAY out there!

When shooting at animals that bite back you want complete assurance that the next bullet slammed into your chamber will slide in like butter.:D ergo Full length sizing.:p

rat31465
12-22-08, 15:04
Personally I think it is a good idea to go one step farther for any semi-auto rifle or handgun that uses a rimless casing...
The use of a small base sizer die eliminates the swelling that occurs around the webb of the casings.
I think this is especially crutial if reloading cases fired from a bolt gun that are then going to be used in an autoloader.

Scattergun
12-22-08, 15:35
neck sizing for a bolt action is fine only if the cases are fired in the same gun.

HK_Shooter_03
01-17-09, 19:03
Always

Uni-Vibe
05-06-09, 01:36
Yes, and be sure to use the Hornady Stoney Point case headspace gauge. Bump the shoulder back .002 or .003. Lets you avoid any case headspace or chambering problems.

WyrTwister
05-06-09, 05:41
wondering if I can just neck size my .5.56/.223?. I know that if i'ts going to be used in more than one rifle that typically you should not, however the (3) rifles I will be using it in are all noveske N4's.

are the chambers going to be identical, atleast enough to be gtg with just neck sizing?.

is it ever a good idea to neck size with semi auto's?.

thanks.

My cousin has the Lee collet die for .223 . He uses it w/o problem for his Bushmaster AR w/ chrome lined bore . No problem .

But his ammo will not chamber in my AR kit gun .

God bless
Wyr

tgace
10-02-10, 03:37
Sorry for the ressurection, I was about to start a new thread regarding neck sizing for the AR but decided to try a search first. ;)

My personal experience.

To date, I have neck sized over 300 rds of first fired brass and shot them out of my Bushmaster with no problems whatsoever. Yes, even after hearing all the horror stories of jams, slam fires and magazines unable to be fully loaded with neck sized brass (My mags top off like with factory..dunno where that one came from) I neck sized my AR brass.

I don't suggest everybody run out and try it for themselves, but from what I understand, some chambers are more forgiving with neck sized brass than others and apparently mine is.

I started out with 10 rounds split into 2 magazines to start with and eventually moved up to one full mag. Then I started loading up 50 at a time. I went out today and burned off 100 rounds without a hiccup. As long as a piece of factory brass was fired out of my weapon, I have been golden with neck size reloading....once. I haven't tried a second neck sizing however, I figure I shouldn't push my luck.

markm
10-02-10, 12:57
I've never had a piece of brass that would headspace correctly without full resizing. Even slightly oversized brass has given me problems. It'll chamber and fire. But if I go to clear a live round, it's going to be stuck in the chamber and require mortaring to remove.

WyrTwister
10-02-10, 17:24
Sorry for the ressurection, I was about to start a new thread regarding neck sizing for the AR but decided to try a search first. ;)

My personal experience.

To date, I have neck sized over 300 rds of first fired brass and shot them out of my Bushmaster with no problems whatsoever. Yes, even after hearing all the horror stories of jams, slam fires and magazines unable to be fully loaded with neck sized brass (My mags top off like with factory..dunno where that one came from) I neck sized my AR brass.

I don't suggest everybody run out and try it for themselves, but from what I understand, some chambers are more forgiving with neck sized brass than others and apparently mine is.

I started out with 10 rounds split into 2 magazines to start with and eventually moved up to one full mag. Then I started loading up 50 at a time. I went out today and burned off 100 rounds without a hiccup. As long as a piece of factory brass was fired out of my weapon, I have been golden with neck size reloading....once. I haven't tried a second neck sizing however, I figure I shouldn't push my luck.

Make sure you check the OAL of the brass and trim it , when / if necessary .

I would be happy to neck size , if I only had one AR and if I was not addicted to picking up range brass .

God bless
Wyr .