PDA

View Full Version : CZ is buying Colt Acquisition

Jsp10477
01-11-21, 19:30
Anyone else see this? Maybe someone who actually gives a crap will pull it out of the dumpster.

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2021/01/11/colt-acquisition/

Pappabear
01-11-21, 19:39
Well, that is interesting. Maybe they will give a shit and bring Colt back to its Glory. Just wish it was a USA based company.

PB

CRAMBONE
01-11-21, 19:40
Interesting. I would love to see $750 6920oem again.

Jsp10477
01-11-21, 19:44
Maybe well get more Large frames and innovation. Or maybe a Colt branded Bren 308

opngrnd
01-11-21, 19:48
I'd love to see 6920s at good prices again, as well as more of their large frame. I recall someone was pretty happy with the large frame 6.5 creed they picked up. Was it Pappabear?

Coal Dragger
01-11-21, 21:12
Colt 69xx’s with CHF barrels and some other goodness.

One can hope.

duece71
01-11-21, 21:26
A real Python.

Arik
01-11-21, 21:51

One can hope.New prices will be post and pre CZ

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Aries144
01-11-21, 23:13
Why? Why would anyone want a cold hammer forged barrel for a rifle, knowing what we know now? Cold hammer forged barrels will always change POI as they heat up- sometimes to the tune of 6+ MOA!

I want button rifled barrels with the new stress relief applied. They are almost completely free of POI shift and are much cheaper to set up for production.

okie
01-11-21, 23:47
If anyone had to buy Colt, I'm glad it's them. They're very much committed to high quality guns for affordable prices, just like Colt, but they're very civilian consumer oriented, and might not play the same games that Colt has with us over the years. Czech gun culture is much like ours, where they have a lot of inherent respect for the right to bear arms.

okie
01-11-21, 23:48

One can hope.

Nooooooooo!:mad:

Colt makes the best damn barrels known to man. Don't mess with perfection.

okie
01-11-21, 23:57
Well, that is interesting. Maybe they will give a shit and bring Colt back to its Glory. Just wish it was a USA based company.

PB

Colt is better now than it ever has been. They finally gave us standard pin lowers, and we're now getting our rifles from the same racks as military and law enforcement since Colt's commercial partner no longer exists.

They also made the Mk18 reliable and respectably durable, without increasing its cost or blowing up parts interchangeability with M4s and M16s. The new bolts that are now standard in all Colt ARs are incredibly tough and don't cost us any more than any other high quality milspec bolt on the market right now. Plus they still gasket seal their gas keys and do some other little extra stuff that other manufacturers don't do on their non contract rifles. Before the panic, I was seeing Colt BCGs for 180, which is actually less than other comparable options out there. Same with barrels. I was seeing SOCOM barrels for 250 all day long.

It's subtle, but Colt is actually the most innovative company around if you pay attention. You end up with damn near enhanced/SR15 performance for DPMS prices.

Gabriel556
01-12-21, 00:00
If Colt is bought by CZ, and a law is passed banning sales of foreign semiautomatic rifles, would that make Colt a foreign product? Id think long and hard about our current political state as a foreign investor in that market, likely involving relocating of production.

Coal Dragger
01-12-21, 00:58
No if the product is produced domestically it would not be foreign.

Why? Why would anyone want a cold hammer forged barrel for a rifle, knowing what we know now? Cold hammer forged barrels will always change POI as they heat up- sometimes to the tune of 6+ MOA!

I want button rifled barrels with the new stress relief applied. They are almost completely free of POI shift and are much cheaper to set up for production.

Extensive testing by the US military says you are wrong. Witness the USASOC upper speccing a CHF barrel.

A real Python.

LOL never going to happen.

SteyrAUG
01-12-21, 04:54
Interesting. I would love to see $750 6920oem again.

More likely to get CORE 15 quality rifles.

loki993
01-12-21, 08:36
If Colt is bought by CZ, and a law is passed banning sales of foreign semiautomatic rifles, would that make Colt a foreign product? Id think long and hard about our current political state as a foreign investor in that market, likely involving relocating of production.

If things stay the way they are currently the reverse would be true. Remember Foreign made "assault rifles" are already banned in the country, Bush 41 did it in 89. If you want to sell one here you need to have manufacturing here I believe, or bring it in as a pistol or as a rifle in "sporting" configuration and convert it, though Im not sure how CZ does something like the bren 2 because I dont think they are 922r, either way. So as long as that wasn't changed it would actually help CZ not hurt, plus before all of think I think there were looking to build a factory here anyway or are in the process of building one, so this would just expedite that.

CRAMBONE
01-12-21, 08:49
If anyone had to buy Colt, I'm glad it's them. They're very much committed to high quality guns for affordable prices, just like Colt, but they're very civilian consumer oriented, and might not play the same games that Colt has with us over the years. Czech gun culture is much like ours, where they have a lot of inherent respect for the right to bear arms.

More likely to get CORE 15 quality rifles.

I know. :(

Arik
01-12-21, 08:52
More likely to get CORE 15 quality rifles.You think CZ will drop in quality?

Corse
01-12-21, 09:26
I think this could be very good. No vulture capitalist company stripping colt to the bone.

SeriousStudent
01-12-21, 10:03
I think this could be very good. No vulture capitalist company stripping colt to the bone.

Agreed. I also think it would be a great way to save Colt from its own management.

I own a pair of CZ rifles and they have been excellent.

okie
01-12-21, 11:02
Agreed. I also think it would be a great way to save Colt from its own management.

I own a pair of CZ rifles and they have been excellent.

I love how CZ has resisted the MIMening when even the Teutonic gun brands are falling for it.

The Dumb Gun Collector
01-12-21, 11:06
I don’t like foreign outfits buying our gun companies as a rule. Still, my understanding from watching Bartocchi is that COlt USA has almost no engineering department these days so it could be a good thing.

DG23
01-12-21, 21:17
I don’t like foreign outfits buying our gun companies as a rule. Still, my understanding from watching Bartocchi is that COlt USA has almost no engineering department these days so it could be a good thing.

He got fired from Colt for what?

T2C
01-12-21, 21:47
I haven't owned a Colt in decades. The CZ rifles I own are high quality rifles. If Colt's quality rises to that of CZ, I might consider buying another Colt.

SteyrAUG
01-13-21, 01:00
You think CZ will drop in quality?

I think CZ has a long and proud tradition of making quality firearms, but you could say the same for Colt and they are rollmarking hobby retro rifles.

I wouldn't want CZ to own Colt for a lot of reasons, first they could decide to cut corners. Honestly the Skorpion Evo isn't the gigantic leap into the 21rst century I imagined and there are times I'd rather have a Vz61. Second I wouldn't want any foreign entity to own a US supplier.

And if I had to pick a foreign firearms maker, I'd rather it be FN for lots of reasons. Maybe it's just time for Colt to move shop to say Indiana and start fresh there.

dwhitehorne
01-13-21, 08:04
I think CZ acquiring Colt could be a benefit. Look at the quality of Dan Wesson 1911's since DW was acquired by CZ. It could also bring much needed US production capabilities to CZ. David

sndt1319
01-13-21, 13:05
Would CZ pick up Colt Canada as well? Would this give them an Avenue to sell the P-07 to the Canadian Army at a steal of a price?

JoshNC
01-14-21, 08:28
Colt marked Bren2 would be nice.

everready73
01-14-21, 09:23
Would CZ pick up Colt Canada as well? Would this give them an Avenue to sell the P-07 to the Canadian Army at a steal of a price?

Acquisition reportedly includes Colt Canada

JediGuy
01-14-21, 10:03
Acquisition reportedly includes Colt Canada

Hmmm. I wonder if this could open up some of the Canadian AR models’ manufacture in the US.

titsonritz
02-11-21, 17:24
Looks like it is official per CZ's FB page.

We are very pleased with another important milestone in the history of the CZ brand. Our parent group CZG has agreed on purchase of the American small arms manufacturer Colt. After the completion of the transaction, the legendary Colt brand will become the new sister company of CZUB.

https://www.facebook.com/CZfirearms/photos/a.243538489002599/3876212339068511/?type=3

Straight Shooter
02-11-21, 17:59
I love how CZ has resisted the MIMening when even the Teutonic gun brands are falling for it.

Thats awesome. WITHOUT getting into the "its just as good as steel" argument, to me, that is just a small indication they want to build quality stuff. If manufacterers keep doing "just as good as" short-cuts, like MIM & Nitride instead of chrome lined barrels..and YES I have both, they are great for most of us including me, are we really getting weapons that are "just as good as" they way they used to be made? Ive often wondered just how much price savings a MIM part over steel is, cant be THAT much can it?
Anyway..Colt, Remington & others have NO ONE to blame but themselves & Im glad to see someone who apparently cares, buy Colt & maybe restore it to its former glory, or close to it.

The Dumb Gun Collector
02-11-21, 18:49
This is fantastic news. Should help w Biden’s coming EOs and give them a bigger portfolio all around

Vandal
02-11-21, 20:19
This is the best news of the day. Colt needs all the help they can get, hopefully that includes an escape from CT.

1986s4
02-12-21, 07:30
If this rids Colt of the gross mismanagement that has been their hallmark for decades, brings innovation, variety and retains quality then I'm for it.

methical20
02-12-21, 08:01
I hope that this will mean Colt monolithic MLOK rifles for those of us in the US

Vandal
02-12-21, 11:49
If this rids Colt of the gross mismanagement that has been their hallmark for decades, brings innovation, variety and retains quality then I'm for it.

Colt management problems are deeply entrenched, much like HK they have an over reliance on govt contracts thinking that is how to keep the lights on and the union paid. The best thing CZ could do when they officially get the keys is to fire everyone not directly involved in production then promptly move the entire company out of CT. CZ has their work cut out for them if they want to save Colt from itself.

HMsailor
02-13-21, 00:09
At least it wasnt Freedom Arms. They would put a nail in their coffin.

Coal Dragger
02-13-21, 00:41
How would Freedom Arms, a tiny semi-custom single action revolver maker in Freedom, Wyoming even acquire Colt’s MFG?

Even if they did, I’m pretty sure the level of quality you’d see on some of the Colt products would rise to Korth/Manurhin/Freedom Arms quality on the DA revolvers. The rest would be totally out of Freedom Arms’ wheelhouse.

Perhaps you meant Freedom Group?

HMsailor
02-13-21, 07:12
Lol. Yes I meant Freedom Group. Im such a dummy.

rjacobs
02-13-21, 07:45
Lol. Yes I meant Freedom Group. Im such a dummy.

AKA Remington...AKA bankrupt... AKA gone...

Coal Dragger
02-13-21, 11:53
AKA good riddance.

JediGuy
02-13-21, 12:05
I hope that this will mean Colt monolithic MLOK rifles for those of us in the US

This is it.

1986s4
02-14-21, 08:04
This is the best news of the day. Colt needs all the help they can get, hopefully that includes an escape from CT.

Yes, leave CT. Florida, Texas, etc.. There are several good choices.

scottryan
02-15-21, 13:42
I simply do not like this idea at all. I don't trust this new management to understand the American high end gun collector and shooter market.

What I see happening:

1. C and CAGE code markings will be completely dropped from parts. Generic consumer AR-15 parts will be used.
2. Factory SBRs will still not be offered in any meaningful amount
3. Colt monolith will still not come to market.

Some retarded offerings will appear on the same level as the springfield saint or SIG tread or some other hot garbage.

What should of happened is 4 or 5 American businessmen who are gun people buy Colt

Coal Dragger
02-15-21, 13:54
Time will tell, however; based on CZ’s ownership of Dan Wesson as an example, I am cautiously optimistic that Colt will continue to put out a quality product.

Maybe CZ wants Colt to get a foot in the door for bidding on US military contracts. Plus if they want to ensure they can offer CZ products in the US if import bans start to become more common, they will need the manufacturing capacity.

lowprone
02-15-21, 14:07
Wish in one hand and $#*@ in the other !

Hank6046
02-15-21, 14:14
Time will tell, however; based on CZ’s ownership of Dan Wesson as an example, I am cautiously optimistic that Colt will continue to put out a quality product.

Maybe CZ wants Colt to get a foot in the door for bidding on US military contracts. Plus if they want to ensure they can offer CZ products in the US if import bans start to become more common, they will need the manufacturing capacity.

^^^This. I too am optimistic. Colt for better or worse needs to diversify and adapt to the market. They slightly moved in this direction when partnering with Centurion, but I feel that CZ will only help to push this forward. Dan Wesson is a good example of CZ getting a quality product designed for the American market and executing it well. Hopefully CZ follows the same formula with Colt, also, Colt having the QC that they do will hopefully only help CZ, I carry a P-10c, and own a Scorpion but know that they could utilize better QC for teething issues, and also helping them understand the demanding nature of the US market for QC in firearms.

02-15-21, 14:15
2. Factory SBRs will still not be offered in any meaningful amount
3. Colt monolith will still not come to market.

Do you need one of these, or are you speaking generally?

Edit: Almost forgot.... sorry for being a douche.

T2C
02-15-21, 14:49
Colt should diversify their product line. People pay good money for reproduction revolvers. I would like to see Colt make 1873 revolvers to compete with Uberti and Pietta. I would also like to see them manufacture replicas of the 1873 Winchester rifles. You would be surprised at people who balk at spending $800 on an AR carbine, but won't think twice about dropping $1200 for a replica lever action rifle.

Hank6046
02-15-21, 14:53
Colt should diversify their product line. People pay good money for reproduction revolvers. I would like to see Colt make 1873 revolvers to compete with Uberti and Pietta. I would also like to see them manufacture replicas of the 1873 Winchester rifles. You would be surprised at people who balk at spending $800 on an AR carbine, but won't think twice about dropping $1200 for a replica lever action rifle.

This is so true. I know those guys at the gun range who have dropped well into $3-$4k for collector rifles or high-end over and under's but complain about a $1000 dollar AR.

Diamondback
02-15-21, 15:17
This is so true. I know those guys at the gun range who have dropped well into $3-$4k for collector rifles or high-end over and under's but complain about a $1000 dollar AR.

"How dare the Great Unwashed presume to come shoot at MY range!"*snort*