PDA

View Full Version : What aiming device do you use on your primary rifle?

JediGuy
01-13-21, 08:04
It could be interesting to see what people actually use. For the purpose of this thread, let’s make this about what you actually shoot with most frequently or have as a duty option, as opposed to what you built for the end of the world.

Edit: Dang. First post is pointing out an obvious possibility I didn’t include. Sorry. Is there a way to edit a poll? Otherwise... ACOG users can swamp the comments to shame my lack of inclusivity.

docsherm
01-13-21, 08:20
G: None of the above

Trijicon TA33 ACOG with RMR piggyback.

bamashooter
01-13-21, 08:24

Prism scope.

chamber143
01-13-21, 08:50
I really like the lpvo options and I have an old Trijicon 1x4 accupoint that I have on a 16 inch and I like it a lot but I took it through the a 2 day class and it sucks to use it compared to an eotech. I know it could be overcome through training but I really is nice being able to take shots out to 2-6 hundred yards with a lot more confidence.

Hank6046
01-13-21, 08:52

I need to do this on one of my rifles.

TBAR_94
01-13-21, 08:59
I like the EXPS with G33 magnifier for my go to. The flip to side mount on the magnifier doesn’t get in my way, and I feel more comfortable with the EOTech up close than a LPVO. I’m sure I could train myself to like a different set up more, but the set up I have works for my needs right now.

markm
01-13-21, 09:31
The thread title and poll ask two different things. My primary rifle had an Aimpoint C3. But what I shoot most is Irons.

gunnerblue
01-13-21, 09:38
Duty: 1-6 lpvo

Primary/Personal: 1-4 lpvo

Honorable mention: since acquiring a 9mm B&T I am shooting with an Aimpoint much more these days.

munchie3409
01-13-21, 12:08
I'm a dot guy myself. I do not have issues reaching 400 yards on my steel plates that are 10". LPVO are nice as you can extend your range, but I prefer to keep my firearms on the light side. If I must reach out past what my red dot can do, I have 6.5 Grendel, 6.5 CM, 300WM, 50BMG.

I'm a believer that you need multiple tools, depending on the job.

Buster1
01-13-21, 12:22
Holosun HS530G and 3x magnifier

hotrodder636
01-13-21, 12:44
Aimpoint T-1.

Black_Sheep
01-13-21, 13:33
Aimpoint PRO

B Cart
01-13-21, 13:41
Depends on which primary gun... My primary HD gun (8" suppressed 300 BLK SBR) has an Eotech EXPS2, but my main go-to 16" SHTF rifle has a 1-8 LPVO.

titsonritz
01-13-21, 13:59
I voted Red Dot because I've been using them longer but I have two what I'd consider "primary" ARs one with a T-1 the other with a Kahles 1-6x.

Striker6
01-13-21, 14:30
I’m still running a T2 on my primary rifle.

Grand58742
01-13-21, 14:39
EOTech 553 on my SHTF rifle

Aimpoint H-1 on my backup/pig hunter rig

kerplode
01-13-21, 16:00
Pretty much RDS all around
T1 on my primary AR
CompM3 on my backup AR
MRO on my SBR

Uncas47
01-13-21, 16:51
Comp M5 on Scalarworks lower 1/3.

NYH1
01-13-21, 17:01
Aimpoint PRO for me. My wife's carbine has Aimpoint Micro H1.

NYH1.

Circle_10
01-13-21, 17:02
If I had to get up off the couch RIGHT NOW and go grab an AR because unspecified shit was going down, indoors or out, it would be the 14.7” carbine with an Aimpoint PRO on the wall rack in the bedroom.

I also have an 11.5” SBR that is set up almost identically, however that one normally stays in the safe.

My other “primary” AR right now is a 16” midlength with a fixed A1 stock and a 3x prism scope, also resides on the wall rack. If the S was HTF but I had time to evaluate the situation in more depth depending on what information I have I might determine the gun with the prism was the more appropriate one to grab for the given situation.
But for a “I don’t have time to scrutinize the situation, I need a rifle NOW” scenario it’s the carbine with the Aimpoint that I’m grabbing.

kyjd75
01-13-21, 17:15
Either a Sig 516 10" or an MCX Virtus 11.5" with a Romeo 4T. I have gone through a bunch of RDS, the 4T is my favorite by far.

utahjeepr
01-13-21, 17:30
Primary rifle wears an ACOG, TA31RCO flavored. Also run an ACOG on my LMT MWS .308.

But I am also a fan of Aimpoints, RMRs, iron sights, and traditional riflescopes. I plan to dip my toes into the lpvo waters in the near future. Fill the toolbox.

CrowCommand
01-13-21, 17:54
Either a Sig 516 10" or an MCX Virtus 11.5" with a Romeo 4T. I have gone through a bunch of RDS, the 4T is my favorite by far.

Interesting, what RDS have you tried?

CrowCommand
01-13-21, 17:55
My go to is an 11.5 with an Aimpoint PRO on 24/7, Arisaka 300 white light.

RMiller
01-13-21, 18:12
Red Dot, however I have been flirting with a magnifier.

SonOfAGunn
01-13-21, 20:03
MRO Patrol on an 11.5" SBR with Fixed Irons.

JediGuy
01-13-21, 20:45
Not sure what I was expecting, but seeing more people use 1-4x than 1-6x was not it. Very interesting.

Randall
01-13-21, 21:01
I'd guess that's mainly because 1-4x has been around longer than 1-6x+. Like Circle 10 said, for "unspecified shit goin down", Im grabbin a T1. A 1-4x LPVO sits next to it if specifics arise.

Ironman8
01-13-21, 21:35
I'd guess that's mainly because 1-4x has been around longer than 1-6x+. Like Circle 10 said, for "unspecified shit goin down", Im grabbin a T1. A 1-4x LPVO sits next to it if specifics arise.

Unless it’s a familiarity (training) issue, this seems ass backwards to me.

NX8 for my do-all primary carbine.

maxpetros
01-13-21, 21:41
My primary rifle has an Eotech EXPS 3-2 and a G33 magnifier. Have other rifles with irons or magnified optics but found the holographic/magnifier combo works best for my use case and eyes for a majority of my intended carbine applications.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Randall
01-14-21, 00:47
Unless it’s a familiarity (training) issue, this seems ass backwards to me.

NX8 for my do-all primary carbine.

It all depends on the scenario you're most likely to encounter. Currently residing in the city, most of my immediate applications would likely be short range with an emphasis on speed. When I lived out in the country and had a little bit more leg room, I was much more likely to pick up something with magnification from the get go. That's also the reason they sit right next to each other; options.

Probably the biggest factor for me is dot brightness, or lack of. I know I didn't specify, but my 1-4x is an Accupoint TR24G. No battery to keep the reticle illuminated, just tritium and fiber optics. No batteries was actually a selling point for me when I bought it ten years ago, kinda funny that now I think that's its largest downside. While still manageable, there are times when the reticle isn't really illuminated. When aiming from a dark room into a bright one, or activating a WML at night, the normally bright green triangle turns into a black triangle on a stick. Doable, but not ideal, especially moving quickly. Between the weight reduction and illuminated dot, the T1 holds the edge in that environment. Out in the sticks and brush, and probable longer distances, sure, I'll take the Accupoint.

Is that also your NV rig? I remember your one gun solution thread, definitely learned a bunch on the NV side of things.

kyjd75
01-14-21, 04:31
Interesting, what RDS have you tried?

So far I have purchased and used Trijicon MRO (still have 2 of these), EoTech XPS2, and Aimpoint T1. Could never get used to the "fuzzy" reticle of the EoTech, and once I "discovered" the Romeo 4T, the Aimpoint T series didn't seem to make sense $ wise to me. I sold the EoTech and Aimpoint, and currently run 2 Romeo 4T's and 2 MRO's. My other rifles have LPVO's. The 4T reticle is very sharp and clear, and can be switched to 4 different options. I prefer the red "circle of death" which is similar to the EoTech but crystal clear in the 4T. The 4T has a very heavy duty build quality at least equal to the MRO imho.

MSW
01-14-21, 05:46
I’m near sighted as hell, so I have always preferred LPVO. When the illuminated reticle came out—I was pleased.

AndyLate
01-14-21, 07:07
Not sure what I was expecting, but seeing more people use 1-4x than 1-6x was not it. Very interesting.

How about as many users report using iron sights as 1-6x? Its an interesting poll.

Andy

IHAZM4
01-14-21, 08:04
I use an aimpoint with factory irons, sig romeo5 with troy backups, and a eotech with magpul steel buis.

Circle_10
01-14-21, 08:20
I have an LPVO - a Steiner P4Xi - but I just couldn’t warm up to it and thus it’s not currently mounted on anything. I didn’t like how “clunky” it made the gun seem. What would then happen is I’d start trying to push it into a sort of DMR niche....which it isn’t designed for. And I hate the reticle, so that doesn’t help.

I have a bunch of ARs with just irons on them, and back when I could actually get range ammo I shot irons a lot, more than optics actually, and honestly I often preferentially grab one of those to throw in the jeep or something, the light weight and maneuverability is great. Most of them had no lights mounted either, but were set up to allow easy mounting of one of the lights I keep in the jeep if need be. But those were basically rifles for when I didn’t think I’d need a rifle. So while I became pretty confident with my iron sight proficiency if I needed to use them (honestly I’d be pretty comfortable using an iron sighted gun with a light for HD) if I knew I was grabbing a gun to address an actual potential problem I’d obviously take a red dot.

01-14-21, 08:20
I train to excel inside of 50 yards.

Comp M4s.

Uncas47
01-14-21, 10:37
The thread title and poll ask two different things. My primary rifle had an Aimpoint C3. But what I shoot most is Irons.
Love the irons also, I have a Scalarworks fixed rear behind the Aimpoint C5. My eyes still handle the irons very well, and in the house with white light it makes no difference to me. I'm going to pull the Aimpoint for awhile just cause.

Five_Point_Five_Six
01-14-21, 11:01
Aimpoint T2. I have Aimpoint micros on everything though, even my kid's M&P 15-22 has a T1 on it.

I have a magnifier that pairs well with the T2 but it doesn't stay on the rifle, it rides in the side pocket of my go bag.

ChattanoogaPhil
01-14-21, 11:03
-----------------------------

Rogue556
01-14-21, 11:13
Current go to is an 11.5" with a Comp M5 in a Unity FAST Micro mount.

In the process of building a 12.5" with a Vortex Razor HD 1-6 Gen 2 with a piggyback RDS at 12:00. We'll see if that dethrones my 11.5" as my primary once it's done.. if Centurion Arms ever gets 12.5" barrels back in stock, that is..

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

RUTGERS95
01-14-21, 11:26
burris mtac 1-4x. built like a tank, handles every abuse under the sun, huge fov, best lpvo out there imho

Ironman8
01-14-21, 11:54
It all depends on the scenario you're most likely to encounter. Currently residing in the city, most of my immediate applications would likely be short range with an emphasis on speed. When I lived out in the country and had a little bit more leg room, I was much more likely to pick up something with magnification from the get go. That's also the reason they sit right next to each other; options.

Probably the biggest factor for me is dot brightness, or lack of. I know I didn't specify, but my 1-4x is an Accupoint TR24G. No battery to keep the reticle illuminated, just tritium and fiber optics. No batteries was actually a selling point for me when I bought it ten years ago, kinda funny that now I think that's its largest downside. While still manageable, there are times when the reticle isn't really illuminated. When aiming from a dark room into a bright one, or activating a WML at night, the normally bright green triangle turns into a black triangle on a stick. Doable, but not ideal, especially moving quickly. Between the weight reduction and illuminated dot, the T1 holds the edge in that environment. Out in the sticks and brush, and probable longer distances, sure, I'll take the Accupoint.

Is that also your NV rig? I remember your one gun solution thread, definitely learned a bunch on the NV side of things.

I guess I assumed what your context was, but when you said "unspecified shit goin down", that means to me that you don’t know what range, how many targets, where you will be or will go, etc. for that, I want my do-all gun with me to cover all bases pretty well. If we’re talking a door kicked in and I know I’ll be fighting inside my own home, then yes, I’ll grab my rds gun.

Also, just cause you’re not in open desert doesn’t mean you won’t ever need magnification. Even at 75+ yds, if a dude is only exposing half his head and firing shoulder from behind a tree or corner of a building, I’d want magnification over a red dot to lay down accurate fire. It doesn’t have to be a 400yd engagement.

RE: NV - yes I have my 12.5” with NX8 set up for day/night use but I wouldn’t call it a dedicated NV gun, just NV capable. If I was going to do a dedicated night engagement, I’d grab the RDS gun with FAST mount and laser.

Headache
01-14-21, 11:54
1-6x Razor with an RMR on a Reptilia mount.

Randall
01-14-21, 19:59
Yea, I took it to mean current AO, what I'd grab right here, right now with no further info. Being inside my house... you get it. By your definition, which is really more true to the "unspecified" theme, I agree with everything you say.

Really, what we're talking about is multiple "primary" weapons set up for different situations. It's hard to define primary when that is dependent on the task at hand. And doubly so when I use loose terms such as unspecified to define those situations lol.

tdb59
01-14-21, 22:51

Core781
01-14-21, 23:38
I consider irons my primary. I use optics as a secondary. My father always had irons on his hunting rifles with rings that allowed their use: I have kept this tradition. It is much more common to come across a game animal up close in my region, and most places of the world. I also like red dots with magnified optics.

ScottsBad
01-15-21, 03:11
In order of most use, not go-to war rifle.

MRO
T1
LPVO
T2 with magnifier

Pandaz3
01-15-21, 04:19
I have a Bedroom Colt Competition carbine with a HI-Lux RDS
My go to Delton/Armalite 16" has a AimPoint PRO
My 'Recon' Billet lower/Noveske 18" has a Leopold VXR 1.5-5x33mm Scout FireDot Duplex Scope, I had to copy the description to get it right.

Edit: The wife has a Anderson lower/Curt's upper with AimPoint PRO or a Daniels Defense DDM4 Version 3 with AimPoint PRO

AimPoint PRO is definitely our favorite RDS. We have some good smaller ones too on extra AR's

I should mention our AR-9 pistols, hers a Angstadt with Sightmark RDS, my PSA with Holosun RDS.

Duchess
01-15-21, 08:18
ACOG. That is what I trained on so that is what I stayed with, however, I see the value of my EOTECH for home defense. Out on the farm ACOG all day.

LMT/556
01-15-21, 08:22
Primary rifle wears an ACOG, TA31RCO flavored. Also run an ACOG on my LMT MWS .308.

But I am also a fan of Aimpoints, RMRs, iron sights, and traditional riflescopes. I plan to dip my toes into the lpvo waters in the near future. Fill the toolbox.
Your ACOG on the MWS, which one and how do your like it? Currently I run either a CompM4s or a ATACR 1x8 on 308 16".

davidz71
01-15-21, 09:39
Trijicon 1-4 Accupoint

RMC51
01-15-21, 09:43

Trijicon TA31A, TA01C, TA01B

Hohn
01-15-21, 14:58
The scalarworks irons are good enough that I’m putting off the RDS for now.

Jermedic
01-15-21, 15:15
I use an Aimpoint PRO the most since my primary rifle is set up with. Close second is an A2 carry handle on a 20in rifle.

nick84
01-15-21, 15:28
For RIGHT NOW kind of stuff, Mk18 with EOTech is what I'm grabbing.

For "We have to leave, and I can only take one AR" kind of primary, I still prefer the SPR with 2.5x10 and offset RDS. Probably my favorite overall setup.

Ridge_Runner_5
01-15-21, 16:40
TA31F 4x on a 16" barrel

GHMann
01-16-21, 09:06
Sig Sauer Romeo 5

masenomics
01-16-21, 09:41
Vortex crossfire on a reptilia 1.93 mount.

teksid
01-16-21, 10:41
Steiner P4xi

JediGuy
01-16-21, 11:37
Question for the people running 1-8x or greater... Do you run an offset red dot or sights with it, or do you expect it to be your primary optic at (planned or unplanned) CQB range?

MC_Oper8or
01-16-21, 12:25
I want to try the new Vortex HD 3x/5x and an offset rds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BL1
01-16-21, 15:11
Aimpoint Pro
Aimpoint T2 lower 1/3
Primary Arms SLx with American defense mount lower 1/3 (Aimpoint T1 copy)
Eotech EXPS 3-0 with G33

All gtg.

utahjeepr
01-16-21, 18:12
Your ACOG on the MWS, which one and how do your like it? Currently I run either a CompM4s or a ATACR 1x8 on 308 16".

TA11H-308G, green horseshoe 308bdc reticle. I dig it. But I run milsurp ammo in it most of the time. M80, L2A2 RG, and the like. It rings steel reliably to 800, haven't really shot groups on paper in a long time. I'll have to try it cause I can't remember where it fell on the "pretty good" spectrum. I would rather not kick doors with this optic, but I can pick up the horseshoe OK enough for close quarters if I had to.

Jsp10477
01-16-21, 22:42
Question for the people running 1-8x or greater... Do you run an offset red dot or sights with it, or do you expect it to be your primary optic at (planned or unplanned) CQB range?

Nah, just a NX8. If I were going to use an offset rmr I’d use a higher magnification optic.

The_War_Wagon
01-17-21, 06:19
I'm a believer that you need multiple tools, depending on the job.

THIS.

Aimpoint T-1's on all my CQB rifles. 1x6 LPVO on my SPR. Leupold Mk.IV CQ/T on my PTR91.

Entryteam
02-08-21, 22:43
Aimpoint PRO.

Freelance
02-09-21, 02:20
EXPS3-2 + flip magnifier for close/night, Aimpoint Micro T-2 + magnifier for medium, and PA or Vortex LPVO for further away.

02-09-21, 07:59
I want to try the new Vortex HD 3x/5x and an offset rds.

Could be an appealing combo.

Core781
02-09-21, 16:22

I wouldn't use an optic with variable power without some sort of off optic sighting reference. Even a FSP BUIS or offset irons if not a micro red dot. I use irons with my micro at lower 1/3rd as a backup as is. I like how Trijicon put a reference on the ACOGs back in the day, very forward thinking but simple. I use Larue mounts, and this would be a cool option if he has not already done this, I use his micro mount ring adapter that sits square to the scope. I feel like an 45deg offset is a bit faster but you don't have to move more than your eyes to use it. I cringe when I see specops without some sort of irons: but in truth they are trained to point shoot through the tube. I also had this training and you really do not need a tube once you get enough repetition in. Its common to achieve 2” groups at 20 feet point shooting relatively quickly. My concern is the dot dropping while engaging targets outside CQB range or on the outer envelop of it and further. For those who do not like a rear BUIS can run a flip up FSP to get on target in a pinch.

almala
02-09-21, 16:33
Primary and back up rifles are set up the same: Aimpoint T2 on Larue mounts, KAC BUIS, DD ris ii rails and 10.3" barrels. I have Aimpoint PROs on my other rifles and a smattering of other BUIS ie DD, Troy, MBUS PRO, Matech.

grizzlyblake
02-10-21, 06:18
This is/was an interesting poll and thread. I was under the impression that most everyone these days was using LPVOs as a general purpose optic.

davidjinks
02-10-21, 07:39
Currently using Nightforce NX8 1-8 LPVO.

I also use an Elcan 1x/4x on a secondary rifle setup.

It could be interesting to see what people actually use. For the purpose of this thread, let’s make this about what you actually shoot with most frequently or have as a duty option, as opposed to what you built for the end of the world.

Edit: Dang. First post is pointing out an obvious possibility I didn’t include. Sorry. Is there a way to edit a poll? Otherwise... ACOG users can swamp the comments to shame my lack of inclusivity.

Pacific5th
02-10-21, 09:36
Aimpoint PRO on my AR

Lately though I have been grabbing my Mini-14 more and more often. I have no acuracy issues with it and just enjoy it more. I am toying with the idea of a red dot on it but with irons it’s fun as hell.

If I feel I want something bigger then my Ruger GSR with the fixed 2.5 Leupold on it.

Circle_10
02-10-21, 10:34
Aimpoint PRO on my AR

Lately though I have been grabbing my Mini-14 more and more often. I have no acuracy issues with it and just enjoy it more. I am toying with the idea of a red dot on it but with irons it’s fun as hell.

If I feel I want something bigger then my Ruger GSR with the fixed 2.5 Leupold on it.

Although I have ARs on the bedroom rack still I haven’t really been shooting them due to concerns over dipping into my 5.56 reserves. So I’ve actually been shooting AKs more lately and have been opting for them when I want to take a rifle out on a jaunt somewhere. I still prefer my ARs and miss shooting them but I’m finding AKs to at least be a viable substitute in the current situation we find ourselves in and have done some minor upgrading to them. I’m glad I kept them after mostly getting out of them some years back.
They are also pretty gangster, which is always a plus, heh.

Milspec78
02-10-21, 17:10
Ta31,eotech,1-6,irons.just depends on my needs.

3 AE
02-11-21, 21:30
Vortex Spitfire 3X Prism Scope. A poor man's ACOG. No issues at all. It works for me from close in to 200+ yards

titsonritz
02-11-21, 21:40
This is/was an interesting poll and thread. I was under the impression that most everyone these days was using LPVOs as a general purpose optic.

I didn't think it was anywhere near "everyone" I thought it would have been a higher percentage.

RDS/halo sight is currently at 64%, add the magnifier and that make 71.43%. That's nearly three-quarters of us using RDS/halo. All of the LPVO's together account 21.72% or well under a quarter of us. It is interesting results.

308sako
02-11-21, 22:27
4X ACOG, Old school for OLD FART

Circle_10
02-12-21, 06:19
4X ACOG, Old school for OLD FART

I think while the concept behind an ACOG (low magnification, fixed power) might be a touch antiquated in 2021, they are still a very viable choice depending on your situation and area.
I have one of my ARs topped with a 3x prism scope, similar concept to an ACOG although I won’t claim it to be as bombproof as one. It’s a gun geared toward use outside of the home. The 3x magnification seems like a good fit for the mix of sub-rural neighborhoods, woods and fields where I live.
Arguably an LPVO might be a better choice, but I tried that on the gun in question for a while and really didn’t like how clunky the whole setup seemed.

Spooky1
02-12-21, 06:56
Trijicon MRO's on some AR's and LPVO's on other AR's, so it depends but all my Red Dots are MRO's

Rmorris
02-12-21, 07:15
14.5 pinned and welded BCM w/ T2 sits at home. I built what I felt was a do-all fighting gun for the most likely realistic serious events, and this is it. It gets the most training use. I would call this my go-to gun for the purpose of this thread.

My truck gun, however, is a 16 in Grendel Recce type build with NX8. It is the best effort at a general purpose gun. It gets shot more simply due to availability. It is for recreation and hunting as well as standing in should I need a rifle to fight with while away.

Everything is a compromise, and I have tried just about all of it. I have several other guns with ACOGS, holosuns, spr set ups, Eotecs, an MDR, and several other Aimpoints and LPVOs. Any of these could be on the above, but they are not. The rifles above have evolved to the optimized compromise for current technology and my needs.

1986s4
02-12-21, 07:21
Aimpoint Comp M4 with Aimpoint 3x magnifier and or irons. I was strictly irons for the last 3 years.

MC_Oper8or
02-12-21, 09:22
Aimpoint turned out to be a dead end for me. It’s a star not a dot. I was hoping for a complete Unity Tactical setup, but it seems I’m headed for prisms or lpvos

02-12-21, 09:30

I was surprised by how few people with dots use magnifiers.

1986s4
02-12-21, 09:45
I was surprised by how few people with dots use magnifiers.

For those with good eyes, used to iron sights and at reasonable ranges a red dot maybe all they need. My eyes aren't all that great but out to 200m I could make consistent hits and at 300m make good hits as long as I could clearly see the target. But I decided that for the main reason of target identity I would acquire some sort of magnification.
I like to keep my rifle clean of appendages and light so I really liked irons. But for functionality I compromised with a RD + removable magnifier [twist off mount].

Uncas47
02-12-21, 21:35
While many consider buis for a dead battery scenario, I use my lower 1/3d KAC 200 to 600 for distance. I'm not disparaging LPVOs at all, but with a lifetime of experience with irons, I can put a lot of pressure down range when the 2 moa dot starts to obscure the target. LPVOs are obviously superior at distance, but for me it's such a remote possibility, that I'll accept any limitation of my choice.

tadzilla
02-13-21, 18:18
CompM4 with Matech BUIS.

js8588
02-13-21, 19:25
CompM5, Scalarworks QD Mount, absolute cowitness with LMT fixed rear sight & Midwest Industries HK style front sight.

rcoodyar15
02-14-21, 13:27
My stock psa has an eotec
My hog hunting grendel has a 2x10 Leopold
My precision 6mm grendel has a vortex PST 5x25

I am presently assembling a lightweight 223 ar15 and it will have a HS510C reflex sight

ABNAK
02-15-21, 19:43
Could add another category: Red dot in an LPVO.

I have a Steiner 1-4 LPVO that has an illuminated red dot right in the center of the crosshairs.

Yeah, splitting hairs I know.....

JediGuy
02-16-21, 07:59
Could add another category: Red dot in an LPVO.

I have a Steiner 1-4 LPVO that has an illuminated red dot right in the center of the crosshairs.

Yeah, splitting hairs I know.....

At least from my perspective, I assumed a modern LPVO with a dot or some sort of illuminated reticle

Restricted
02-16-21, 11:04
Aimpointon everything. Had one EOTECH that crapped out. But do love the EOTECH reticle. One day will try a LPVO but that's a rabbit hole for sure.

teksid
02-16-21, 12:23
Steiner PX4i

jbdesigns
02-17-21, 20:49
interesting thread. my choice on several rifles so far has been a reasonable cost leupold 1.5x4 LPVO with the green fire dot reticle. easy to pick up the bright dot for close shots and the magnification helps my old eyes see what i am aiming at. i also have a rds and was quite surprised at how easy it was to make hits on steel. and for comparison, my buddy with his colt carbine and iron sights struggled to make hits. i tried his rifle and also struggled in the low light conditions to see the target well and aim it well. i was convinced that the RDS was better than irons by a lot. i still like the LPVO though for target identification.

Alba9999
02-17-21, 22:38
Vortex LPVO 1-8 and Venom 3moa at 1 oclock, also 45deg buis

Blackhalo
02-18-21, 10:18
Lpvos with offset dots mostly these days.

About to try a TA33 w/piggyback RMR on a gun that is naked.

Grim.Patriot
02-24-21, 05:59
I feel the optic has to support the intended purpose of the subjects “primary rifle”.

If I was MUCH younger and humping patrol in some far away desert, normally engaging adversaries out at 200-600 meters, but occasionally up close and personal, a mid range variable optic like the discontinued Leupold Mark 4, 1.5-5x20mm, or the much more expensive Mark 6 or 8 CQB scopes would be optimal.

Today my “primary rifle” is for personal defense of home and family. From a few to maybe 25 yards. In an urban home defense environment, having to engage adversaries past 50 yards, probably never, past 100 yards, well it’s possible but highly unlikely. For fast up close and personal CQB I want a two eyes open, none magnified, wide field of view optic which simply helps place rounds on target quickly and allows for fast transition to the next adversary. Needs to work day or night. For me, the Aimpoint Micro T2 Red Dot Sight fits the bill perfectly. Turn it on a dusk or night time setting, leave it on, change the battery with each new year. Always ready and good to go.

JediGuy
02-24-21, 07:31
Mods, can you lock this thread? I think we have a good snapshot, and there might be value in doing another one in a couple years versus leaving this open.

Warp
02-24-21, 07:42
Mods, can you lock this thread? I think we have a good snapshot, and there might be value in doing another one in a couple years versus leaving this open.

Or is it possible to close the poll but leave discussion open? just a thought

JediGuy
02-24-21, 10:02
Or is it possible to close the poll but leave discussion open? just a thought

I’d be good with that, didn’t see a way to update the poll duration, may just be my old-millennial lack of technology skills.

norbis
03-04-21, 20:38
For home defense, Aimpoint T2 (lower 1/3) because I can leave it turned on. My work gun currently has an EOTech. I generally prefer Aimpoint but no problems with EOTech.

03-05-21, 17:55
Sig Romeo 5 and Daniel Defense fixed sights as a backup.

GaWardawg
03-05-21, 18:33
I’m split between primary’s. Colt 6920 wears kac micros with aimpoint pro. My Tavor an ACOG