PDA

View Full Version : DPMS LR-308 and Magpul MIAD

kevN
12-03-08, 23:28
On the LR-308 the rear takedown pin is held into a place through a detent and spring that are supported by the pistol grip. (Unlike on an ar15 where the takedown pin is detended from the rear stock attachment). This works ok with stock grips, and many aftermarket grips but when attaching a MIAD with the inter-changable back straps the spring seems to slip into the rear groove and doesn't really bind up properly.

Using the smallest grip that does not groove in the back it seems to lock up just enough to keep the detent in place but doesn't really provide great friction for the takedown pin. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions/notes on this combination as I love the MIAD and I know others do to.

Also, I had to trim the safety detent spring but that seems to be fine once "tailored" a little.

Thanks!

armakraut
12-04-08, 00:44
The magpul grip would work on mine with the smallest backstrap, actually pretty decent fit. Tango down grip fit horribly, big gap between the receiver/integral trigger guard, and the "extended" bit on the front of the grip.

Solomon
12-04-08, 22:58
I've seen similar threads with responses ranging from using a dab of epoxy (dried overnight) to using cut-ups of rail covers.

Also, if you look near the bottom of page 15 of the Magpul 2008 catalog (https://www.m4carbine.net/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=262478) (Grip Accessories section), you will find a product that Magpul hasn't released yet called the AR10 / SR25 Wedge (Product # MAG065) for $3.95.

deltaARman
12-15-08, 23:00
I put the MIAD on my armalite ar 10 (T). The epoxy idea isn't bad, honestly never thought about it. I have the biggest back strap on mine and had no problem putting it on or the spring holding on the lip of the grip. I just used a small metal shim to hold the spring in place and then put the grip on carefully pulled out the shim and screwed the grip the rest of the way in and haven't had a problem with it since.

Solomon
12-16-08, 10:21
I have the biggest back strap on mine and had no problem putting it on or the spring holding on the lip of the grip.

I've also found the biggest back strap to work well for holding in the spring.