PDA

View Full Version : 'Merican pilot shoots down Japanese plane with his 1911...

WillBrink
01-15-21, 13:30
WWII is so full of astounding stories. Pilot shot down a Japanese fighter plane with his 1911:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUYJx02aUx8

Hank6046
01-15-21, 14:01
https://www.warhistoryonline.com/instant-articles/the-japanese-fighter-plane-shot.html

Steve Shannon
01-15-21, 15:37
The ship on which my father served, USS Chilton, was struck by a kamikaze plane. He told me he watched it as it happened and if he’d been carrying an M1 rifle at the time he could have easily shot it. The damage from the plane was limited.

Averageman
01-15-21, 17:49
The ship on which my father served, USS Chilton, was struck by a kamikaze plane. He told me he watched it as it happened and if he’d been carrying an M1 rifle at the time he could have easily shot it. The damage from the plane was limited.

My Uncle John did A.A. gunnery on the Saratoga.
My Dad had a Japanese Engineer from Hitachi over for a BBQ. My Uncle John showed up unexpected, as he comes in the door he sees Mr Hagiwara and his face turned pale as he turned and left.
My Grandmother told me about what he went through, wave after wave of kamikaze's, burning wreckage sliding across the deck.

Jellybean
01-15-21, 19:39
Pilot shot down a Japanese fighter plane with his 1911

"TwO WoRlD WaRs!1!1!" 1911 gang activate! :laugh:

vicious_cb
01-15-21, 22:02
Mitsubishi A6M Zero/Top speed
351 mph

Yeah Im calling BS on this story. Do you really think someone is hitting a man sized target even if the plane is going half that speed.

4 shots? Seriously. You would be lucky to get off 1 shot. Ever stand on the side of a freeway as cars passed? A WWII fighter is easily doing 3x that speed.

sidewaysil80
01-16-21, 06:21
Yeah Im calling BS on this story. Do you really think someone is hitting a man sized target even if the plane is going half that speed.

4 shots? Seriously. You would be lucky to get off 1 shot. Ever stand on the side of a freeway as cars passed? A WWII fighter is easily doing 3x that speed.

It also had a very low stalling speed of below 60 knots(69 mph)
Def plausible, especially if pilot was traveling head on...

WillBrink
01-16-21, 08:13

Going slowly, straight at you, canopy open, it's a one in a million shot, but they happen.

El Pistolero
01-16-21, 10:37
I think it’s a great story. The 1911 will live on forever. Find me stories like this about a Glock LOL.

vicious_cb
01-16-21, 12:36
Going slowly, straight at you, canopy open, it's a one in a million shot, but they happen.

You realize nothing in that story makes no logical sense. If he was going straight at him why not just shoot him to make sure?

604flyer
01-16-21, 14:58

The Golden BB has a funny way of finding people.