PDA

View Full Version : Steyr AUG's coming in January

variablebinary
12-04-08, 06:22
So not only are we getting real deal AUG's built to the correct spec, but they are being built by one of the best arms manufacturers to pop up in recent years...Sabre Defense...

http://www.steyrarms.com/uploads/tx_steyrhomeaimages/steyrAUG_home.jpg

Sabre Defence Industries Announces Production of the Steyr AUG

Monday, November 03, 2008 - Sabre Defence Industries

Nashville, TN

Sabre Defence Industries, LLC is proud to announce the final production stages of the Steyr AUG rifle to be supplied and distributed through Steyr Arms, Inc. The newly produced AUG rifles are expected to be ready for distribution by January 2009. “We were honored to be selected by Steyr-Mannlicher, Gmbh to manufacture the AUG in our state of the art facility. In the process of making this icon of assault rifles, we have blended the proven and classic features with modern manufacturing techniques to make this what we believe to be the best AUG ever produced.” - says Sabre Defence Industries principal Guy Savage. More information can be obtained through Steyr Arms, Inc. at 205-467-6544.

About Sabre Defence Industries:
Founded in the USA in 2002, Sabre Defence Industries, LLC, manufactures precision engineered rifles and assemblies for responsible civilians, law enforcement and the military.

About Steyr Arms, Inc:
Steyr Arms, Inc. is the sole importer and wholesaler of firearms into the USA from Steyr-Mannlicher, Gmbh located just outside Steyr, Austria. Steyr Arms, Inc sells firearms for both the civilian market as well as Military and Law Enforcement Divisions.

Dave L.
12-04-08, 06:45
Can't wait for the details to come out. I'm really hoping you can make them Lefty friendly. Looks like they went with the Steyr mags too.

Littlelebowski
12-04-08, 06:57
Will these take AR mags?

kal
12-04-08, 07:34
OK, now we will have three AUG rifles in the market. Two of which use expensive proprietary mags, and one of which uses ar15 mags but is more than 2 grand so you're not really saving any money. :mad:

I guess that's just how it goes. Otherwise we would just be buying up AK's. I still think the situation sucks though.

Dave L.
12-04-08, 07:36
Will these take AR mags?

They look like AUG mags in the picture:confused:

Jay Cunningham
12-04-08, 09:20
If they can make one with a trigger that doesn't suck and at some type of reasonable price point then I would be interested.

RAM Engineer
12-04-08, 09:22
OK, now we will have three AUG rifles in the market. Two of which use expensive proprietary mags, and one of which uses ar15 mags but is more than 2 grand so you're not really saving any money. :mad:

I guess that's just how it goes. Otherwise we would just be buying up AK's. I still think the situation sucks though.

I'm confused...You think marketplace options suck or you just think it sucks that some guns cost more than you are willing to pay?

:confused:

matthewdanger
12-04-08, 09:22
If they can make one with a trigger that doesn't suck and at some type of reasonable price point then I would be interested.

Isn't a trigger that sucks usually a hall mark of the bull pup design because of all the linkages?

30 cal slut
12-04-08, 09:29

+1

i seem to recall a vendor advertising in small arms review that is offering an improved trigger. but those factory triggers suck butt.

Jay Cunningham
12-04-08, 09:45
Isn't a trigger that sucks usually a hall mark of the bull pup design because of all the linkages?

Yes.

That's why I said if they can resolve that issue I'm in. If not... I have no need for a carbine with a shit trigger.

kal
12-04-08, 10:03
I'm confused...You think marketplace options suck or you just think it sucks that some guns cost more than you are willing to pay?

I hate how all the new stuff is so expensive. And it's not the price alone that's the biggest issue. It's the price in addition to overpriced mags, whether or not parts are readily available, etc.

$1,500 I can live with if the weapon is what I'm looking for whether it's a serious gun or a toy for the range. When you figure in accessories and such, the price can get quite staggering, to the point where it's no longer worth it seeing how you may be able to get 2 other rifles you've always wanted, accessories and what not all for the same price.

Long term costs is what had made me decided on standardizing on ammo and magazines.

Jay Cunningham
12-04-08, 10:16
Nothing is "overpriced" in a free market. Price is an arbitrary construct which changes in relation to supply and demand.

variablebinary
12-04-08, 11:05

Actually, there is only one AUG and then there are two guns that look like the AUG

And 30 rounds AUG mags are $30, which I personally dont regard as expensive. I pay more than that for pistol mags. Personally I'm glad Steyr stayed true to the design and didnt mangle the whole project by making it more AR15 like.

rubberneck
12-04-08, 11:17
Nothing is "overpriced" in a free market. Price is an arbitrary construct which changes in relation to supply and demand.

Would you prefer pricing inefficiency? We don't have a free market in the truest sense. The price of evil black rifles are being driven by pressures external to the market. Take away the threat of an AWB at any point in the future and see what happens to the price then. In this case the demand has been artificially stimulated causing prices to rise above a rational market.

Jay Cunningham
12-04-08, 11:23
Would you prefer pricing inefficiency? We don't have a free market in the truest sense. The price of evil black rifles are being driven by pressures external to the market. Take away the threat of an AWB at any point in the future and see what happens to the price then. In this case the demand has been artificially stimulated causing prices to rise above a rational market.

Prices are stimulated by threats both real and imagined. If a hurricane is closing in on Florida the local price of portable generators goes up. The prices of portable generators also went up with the Y2K scare.

That's just the way it is.

Obiwan
12-04-08, 13:25
Add me to the list of people that would rather own 2 AR's for the same money

I really do not need another weapon to buy mags of:(

Dave L.
12-04-08, 13:48
Put me on list for 2, I'll have 9 AR's soon, getting bored :D

Savior 6
12-04-08, 15:34
Dave L., since these are actual AUGs then they will be capable of accepting a left handed bolt face. So you should be good in that aspect. The NATO stocks for the AUG rifles were made to accept AR15, however they stocks are only right hand friendly.

The triggers to me are a moot point. The triggers are safe and they work fine IMHO. Until bullpup weapons try to incorporate a "leverage style" trigger like those found on pistols then the trigger pull will be more stiff than a two-stage, AR15 type trigger.

GONIF
12-04-08, 15:57
YOU GOT THAT RIGHT .:rolleyes:QUOTE=The_Katar;262618]If they can make one with a trigger that doesn't suck and at some type of reasonable price point then I would be interested.[/QUOTE]

olds442tyguy
12-04-08, 16:04
I was going to get a SCAR, but then the ACR came out.

I was going to get an ACR, then they told us to get lost.

I was going to get a SCAR again because FN is willing to sell them to us, but then found out it's a bit more than I want to spend.

If this thing is available on time and under $1,700 street price, I will buy one. If not, I'll continue with my AR plans.

scottryan
12-04-08, 19:49
OK, now we will have three AUG rifles in the market. Two of which use expensive proprietary mags,

I'm really sick and tired of hearing this line.

variablebinary
12-04-08, 19:58

You are not the only one...

This mindset gave birth to a couple of abominations. We don't need another.

kal
12-04-08, 20:09

So there is an understanding that there are many gun owners who express dissapointment with "the next big thing".

This mindset gave birth to a couple of abominations.

Examples?

K.L. Davis
12-04-08, 20:30
Got a letter from them on this a while back... If I recall, it IS a Steyr, not looks like on, or is a copy, or another clone. Steyr-Mannlicher contracted with Sabre to build the AUG for them.

Spooky130
12-04-08, 20:44
Got a letter from them on this a while back... If I recall, it IS a Steyr, not looks like on, or is a copy, or another clone. Steyr-Mannlicher contracted with Sabre to build the AUG for them.

The only thing I hate about these situations (rumored AUGs, HK416s for civilians, FN SCARs) is that they've had these guns and designs for at least four years. Now, the most anti-gun president has been elected and they are just now deciding to get this done! I just wished they started the process a little sooner rather than at the very last minute - they're going to force me to make some tough decisions!

Spooky

Ed L.
12-04-08, 22:01

This corrects it: http://www.triggertamer.com

I use it in my AUG.

Jay Cunningham
12-04-08, 22:53
This corrects it: http://www.triggertamer.com

I use it in my AUG.

I've read about that thingy. If it works in the civy AUG and it makes the trigger as nice as it claims to, then we may have a wiener.

Neville
12-05-08, 03:16
Actually I find the trigger itself not too bad on my AUG-Z but the trigger reset lacks a definite point- and the Tamer makes it worse.

Although it may seem odd that Steyr uses their (proven!) magazines, but they think that the priority is to establish reliability. That is what
the AUG is famous for- its almost AK like. And although there are finally great mags for the Ar15 system available, if Steyr makes a Ar15
mag AUG, some dork will stick a broken aftermarket mag in it - and claim that the AUG is unreliable...

TOrrock
12-05-08, 08:22
I hope they can make it happen.

scottryan
12-05-08, 09:32
So there is an understanding that there are many gun owners who express dissapointment with "the next big thing".

Examples?

The microtech AUG and SIG556 are both products of your mindset.

All new assault rifles will be expensive and not every single firearm will use an AR-15 magazine. You need to get over it.

variablebinary
12-05-08, 12:08

All new assault rifles will be expensive and not every single firearm will use an AR-15 magazine. You need to get over it.

Perfectly said

Dave L.
12-05-08, 12:28
Do we not have any Sabre Employees on this site to possibly chime in on this subject?
I'm interested in an AUG, and where the lines will be to get one.

JoshNC
12-05-08, 14:35
Just bought 25 thirty round and 5 42 round AUG mags from CDNN! I cannot wait for these to be released. Also bought a Steyr-manufactured black NATO/STANAG stock to allow the AUG to accept M16 mags. Not planning on using it much with this, but is a nice accessory to have at a reasonable price ($300) and best of all it includes a spare semiauto trigger pack.

TOrrock
12-05-08, 14:44

Exactly.

JoshNC
12-05-08, 14:46
OK, now we will have three AUG rifles in the market. Two of which use expensive proprietary mags...

Actually, CDNN is selling factory NIW Steyr AUG thirty-round mags for $29.99. That is not bad at all. Consider this - the best 7.62x39 AK mag on the planet is the Bulgarian "Circle-10" polymer mag with steel reinforced feedlips/locking lug, and in the mag body. These cost $26 each right now.

kal
12-05-08, 14:55
OK I PMed scottryan about what he said but since others are agreeing with his statement, I'll post what I asked here:

"How did my mindset, in which most others share, help create the sig556 in which by your tone seem to be an inferior product?

My only gripe is with magazines. It's just one example that tends to be the most considered by the consumer.

In the case of the sig556, people absolutely wouldn't be happy paying $80 per mag, translating into low sales. Maybe you would pay that much?"

Now, I know some things are going to be more expensive than others. But why would a company NOT make their product compatible with aftermarket accessories or expendables like magazine in order to get as many sales as possible?

It's like every new rifle coming out with a new round, or a new rail system instead of using the standard picatinny rail we have now. It doesn't make sense.

people say the ar15 mag is horrible, to justify the new rifles incompatibilty, but nobody dares to say anything about the Pmag.

Dave L.
12-05-08, 15:03
I'm sure the Sabre AUG will be in the $1,500+ range. People who can afford them can afford $30 mags. I don't think Sabre and Steyr are worrying about lack of sales due to it not using AR-15 mags.
Besides, it's a real AUG and it should be fairly easy to reproduce here in the US unlike the new AUG-ish guns/ACR/SCAR.
I also believe Sabre will have the production capability to keep up with demand which is great for us.

olds442tyguy
12-05-08, 16:21
I'd bet money Sabre/Steyr offers both AR and AUG mag fed A3's. Steyr already makes AR mag pattern lower receivers, so why not fill both markets.

I'd take an actual AUG A3 in either honestly. So long as it's an actual AUG A3 I'll be happy. If they Sig it, I'll be pissed.

kal
12-05-08, 18:00
If they Sig it, I'll be pissed.

What did SIG do to piss you off?

TOrrock
12-05-08, 20:44
Let's keep this thread on target, ok guys?

Kal, you might want to do a search on the SIG 556 here to get some feedback.

olds442tyguy
12-07-08, 21:38
Sorry Temp.

TOrrock
12-07-08, 22:06
No worries.

5POINT56
12-08-08, 06:13
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=13172

JoshNC
12-08-08, 12:39
I'd bet money Sabre/Steyr offers both AR and AUG mag fed A3's. Steyr already makes AR mag pattern lower receivers, so why not fill both markets.

I spoke with Jack at Steyr about 3 weeks ago and specifically asked if they will offer the AUG A3 with the NATO/STANAG/M16 stock. He said that they will not. Why? Because they didn't want mag-related failures on account of the wide-ranging quality found among M16 mags.

My solution - I bought a NATO/STANAG stock kit from CDNN.

Littlelebowski
12-08-08, 12:45
Could you elucidate on this kit, Josh?

JoshNC
12-08-08, 13:07
Could you elucidate on this kit, Josh?

http://img252.imageshack.us/img252/6631/cdnnsteyraugnatoar15stoxd4.jpg

I think that is a pretty fantastic deal when you consider that it includes a spare trigger pack.

Ed L.
12-08-08, 14:51
You need the trigger group that comes with the NATO stock to allow the AUG to lock back on the last rounds with AR mags. However, if you put that trigger pack into a standard STEYR AUG stock you will convert your AUG into a single shot.

I will try to take some pictures of trigger tamers and such and post them in the next few days.

JoshNC
12-08-08, 15:20
You need the trigger group that comes with the NATO stock to allow the AUG to lock back on the last rounds with AR mags. However, if you put that trigger pack into a standard STEYR AUG stock you will convert your AUG into a single shot.

I will try to take some pictures of trigger tamers and such and post them in the next few days.

Good info, I was not aware of this. Thanks!

kal
12-08-08, 23:13
I spoke with Jack at Steyr about 3 weeks ago and specifically asked if they will offer the AUG A3 with the NATO/STANAG/M16 stock. He said that they will not. Why? Because they didn't want mag-related failures on account of the wide-ranging quality found among M16 mags.

What a lame excuse. It's like denying that good stanag mags exist.

Savior 6
12-08-08, 23:34
Guys if you want a rifle that uses STANAG mags, buy an AR; a bull-pup, buy a BM 17. The AR mags have had to been improved time-and-time again. Pmags have only recently come about and become the pinnacle of AR mags. I welcome different weapon systems that offer different/better solutions.

variablebinary
12-08-08, 23:45
What a lame excuse. It's like denying that good stanag mags exist.

No, it's not a lame excuse. It is however a very good reason if a person considers what is being said.

If it's that important to you, than buy one of the knock offs, or a conversion kit. Or how about just buying an AR15. However stop expecting firearms makers to shoehorn STANAG mags into everything. Not everyone wants to see the SIG 556 fiasco repeated over and over.

kal
12-09-08, 00:04
I welcome improvements too. However, stanag mags come in variety across the globe. They can't all be that bad. The locking system can always be kept, but the materials used, and some demensions can be changed to produce a better magazine.

This isn't about the AUG and whether it should use stanag mags anymore but rather what was said about why they DIDN'T use stanag mags. That's what I find ridiculous.

Dave L.
12-09-08, 02:02
I am actually excited REAL AUGs will be made here in the US. This is good for the consumer and the small arms industry in general.
I think this AUG will be just fine without using AR mags. AR mags until just recently have been unF*ed, why would you want to put them in a proven weapon system?
I'm sure this weapon will not be easy on the wallet, but the mags will only cost about as much as the best 1911 mags and $30 is not a big deal. Hell, jackasses are already paying $50 for a P-Mag:eek:

mike240
12-09-08, 05:16
http://www.pjs-steyraug.com/USAUG.html

Dave L.
12-09-08, 06:09

Wow, I wonder if that's the MSRP. That price seems a little too high to me.

RAM Engineer
12-09-08, 07:24
I welcome improvements too. However, stanag mags come in variety across the globe. They can't all be that bad. The locking system can always be kept, but the materials used, and some demensions can be changed to produce a better magazine.

This isn't about the AUG and whether it should use stanag mags anymore but rather what was said about why they DIDN'T use stanag mags. That's what I find ridiculous.

You are right! I for one am PISSED that my glocks and M&Ps don't take the same magazines! I can't believe it!!!! And why the hell don't my Ruger MkIIs and my Browning buckmarks use the same mags?!?!?! ARRRGHGHG!!!!!!1!!
:rolleyes:

kal
12-09-08, 08:57
You are right! I for one am PISSED that my glocks and M&Ps don't take the same magazines! I can't believe it!!!! And why the hell don't my Ruger MkIIs and my Browning buckmarks use the same mags?!?!?! ARRRGHGHG!!!!!!1!!
:rolleyes:

The world of handguns is different than the world of rifles.

Rifles are to be used by militaries in bulk. Sometimes, standardization is considered and enacted upon. That spills into the civilian world and the consumer, the most savage beast on the planet, takes advantage and demands compatibility for everything new.

You know, some pistol caliber carbines use glock mags, even beretta mags. You know why? People wanted it that way. :D

JoshNC
12-09-08, 10:14
The world of handguns is different than the world of rifles.

Rifles are to be used by militaries in bulk. Sometimes, standardization is considered and enacted upon. That spills into the civilian world and the consumer, the most savage beast on the planet, takes advantage and demands compatibility for everything new.

You know, some pistol caliber carbines use glock mags, even beretta mags. You know why? People wanted it that way. :D

But why change a good thing? AUG mags are well made, durable, and reliable. They are also very reasonably priced right now at around $30 each. And Steyr is bringing AUG mags in from Austria by the THOUSANDS right now in anticipation of the AUG A3.

All this discussion has me thinking I am going to buy another thirty AUG mags today.

C4IGrant
12-09-08, 10:21
Wow, I wonder if that's the MSRP. That price seems a little too high to me.

That is MSRP and they will most likely hold that price or go above it.

C4

kal
12-09-08, 10:33
All this discussion has me thinking I am going to buy another thirty AUG mags today.

Damn! At $30 each, that's....$900 omgwtf!

Well they are AUG mags afterall. Yes they should be some good mags, but damn.

30 Pmags for $15each.....$450 total. Save the other $450 for an optic, or range time + crap load of ammo, or other accessories, etc.

We all have our ways of enjoying our hobby. I do it by saving money for more play time at the range.

JoshNC
12-09-08, 10:48
Damn! At $30 each, that's....$900 omgwtf!

Well they are AUG mags afterall. Yes they should be some good mags, but damn.

30 Pmags for $15each.....$450 total. Save the other $450 for an optic, or range time + crap load of ammo, or other accessories, etc.

We all have our ways of enjoying our hobby. I do it by saving money for more play time at the range.

The way I look at it, AUG mags are NEVER going to be cheaper than they are right now.

DrewH
12-09-08, 11:05
If your main objective is to shoot as much as possible and spend as little money as possible on the guns and magazines, you should buy an AR in the first place and AR mags for it. Or even more efficiently, an AK, AK mags, and AK ammo.

As a potential purchaser of the AUG I am interested in buying a unique firearm in as close to original condition as possible. I would certainly shoot it, but their are other aspects to the hobby for me. There are always trade-offs. If I want to spend a little more money on AUG magazines I feel that is a perfectly valid use of my money.

I think it is unrealistic to expect Steyr, which designed a perfectly good magazine back when it designed the AUG, to switch to cheaper mags with widely varying quality standards just to save folks some money when they buy their $2000 rifle.

If you want buy an AUG style rifle that uses AR mags is not the TPD AXR still out there?

Dave L.
12-09-08, 12:15
That is MSRP and they will most likely hold that price or go above it.

C4

Grant, Do you have a pre-order for these? If they come in while I'm home (all of January), I'll probably covet one.

C4IGrant
12-09-08, 12:18
Grant, Do you have a pre-order for these? If they come in while I'm home (all of January), I'll probably covet one.

I plan on stocking them, but do not have a BO list as of yet.

C4

Dave L.
12-09-08, 12:21

C4

If you decided to make one...sign me up...you know I'm good for it.:D

kal
12-09-08, 12:34
If your main objective is to shoot as much as possible and spend as little money as possible on the guns and magazines, you should buy an AR in the first place and AR mags for it. Or even more efficiently, an AK, AK mags, and AK ammo.

I originally wanted to standardize on 7.62x39 and the AK magazine and bought a romanian ak to begin with. I later realized I wasn't satisfied with only having the AK platform and wanted to buy other rifles but those that used AK mags were too expensive compared to the original configuration ( ex: 7.62x39mm galil, mgi ar15 with ak mag well ) or did not use ak mags, regardless of how affordable they were (ex: vz58).

I really like the ar15 rifles and thought, since all the modern weapons are using 5.56mm and the stanag mag, why not standardize on the most common round and feeding device for rifles in the US? So that's what I'm doing now, looking for rifles other than the ar15 family that use 5.56mm & stanag magazines.

I think for 308, I'll go with original ar10 mag fed rifles (dpms, lwrc, etc.). With rifles like the XCR-M being brainstormed, and the price for the mags dropping (cproducts $22 each), might as well standardize on those mags too.

Dave L.
12-09-08, 12:43
Kal,
I understand your point on wanting to standardize mags, however you don't seem concerned with reliability. Until the P-Mag/T-Mag, AR-15 mags have suffered from poor design, poor quality control, and short life which all ends up effecting the overall reliability.
I would hope someone would be more concerned with reliability than modularity.
I think the AUG system's reliability has been proven over time and so has its mags.
Just my $.02.

Spooky130
12-09-08, 15:48
I understand the reasoning here - same thing with other manufacturers...

Using a lower quality, less reliable mag opens them up for a lot of negative press. I can see the first dude getting on M4C with his new AUG complaining of how poorly it works. Then find out he was using crappy mags and Steyr's reputation gets slammed regardless. As a manufacturer I would want to know I was putting out the best product.

And, in the long run, is a $30 mag that much when you've just bought a $2000 or $2300 gun?

Spooky

Ed L.
12-10-08, 23:22
Here is a comparison of the Trigger Tamer in white to the standard Lock retaining pin which it replaces. Notice that the trigger tamer has a higher notch that holds the disconenct spring. I used a .223 round to point to the notch. By having a higher notch it holds the spring under less pressure, resulting in a lighter trigger pull. It reduces the trigger pull from 9-11 lbs to about 5-6 lbs.

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i232/eds-stuff/lockpinretainers.jpg

Here is a comparison between two complete Steyr AUG trigger groups. The one with the white piece on the back is the one with the trigger tamer.

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i232/eds-stuff/triggergroupcomparison.jpg

Below is a closeup of the trigger tamer compared to a regular piece. You can kinda see that the trigger Tamer holds the trigger spring a bit higher, or rather doesn't pull it back as far, thus resulting in a lighter trigger pull.

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i232/eds-stuff/ttcloseup-1.jpg

To replace the standard lock pin retainer with the trigger tamer, you simply push out a pin in the side of the trigger group that allows you to remove it. You only want to push the in out enough to let you pull the lock retaining pin out and no further, or it will be a pain since it holds other parts in place. Once you have pulled this pin out enough to remove the lock pin retainer out, it is relatively easy to replace this part with the trigger tamer and hook the trigger spring into the higher slot.

uspopo
12-11-08, 17:44

C4

Grant, I would definitely get one. If you can put me on a waiting/interest list also. Thanks,

Stan

Tomac
12-13-08, 07:44
I've tried the Trigger Tamer in 3 different STG-556's (2 are mine, 1 is my son's). It works well in both of mine which are broken in, very nice trigger pull for a bullpup. However, in my son's (still new and not broken in) there are reset problems. We still have the TT in his but set for the factory pull for now. Once it's reached the 1K mark like mine we'll try it at the reduced setting again.
Tomac

Ed L.
12-13-08, 17:20
There are differences in the Steyr and MSAR trigger groups that make the trigger tamer less than a drop in part for the MSAR. it may or may not work and may require some modifications to work in the MSAR.

halo2304
12-14-08, 20:51
I only know of one AUG clone, the MSAR. What's the other one?

TOrrock
12-14-08, 21:05
I only know of one AUG clone, the MSAR. What's the other one?

TPD makes the AXR, a very nice AUG based design.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=4394

jhs1969
12-22-08, 10:45
Does anyone know if this flat top AUG with M1913 rails will be the only modle offered, I would like to see one with a more traditional scope like the originals.

TOrrock
12-22-08, 11:15
Does anyone know if this flat top AUG with M1913 rails will be the only modle offered, I would like to see one with a more traditional scope like the originals.

Then you'll probably want to look at the MicroTech STG-556.

The integral optic is an old design, and Steyr is looking to advance their sales in both the civillian and LE market, and that means M1913 rails.

jhs1969
12-22-08, 12:43

The integral optic is an old design, and Steyr is looking to advance their sales in both the civillian and LE market, and that means M1913 rails.

Will this AUG have a chrome lined bore/chamber?

Do you know which of these have lined bores?

FN FS2000
FN SCAR

I've always felt chrome lining was a big step in improved reliability, is this a correct assumption?

olds442tyguy
12-22-08, 12:57
I was interested until I found out this is the final production configuration.

http://www.pjs-steyraug.com/auga33.jpg

It's not airsoft, and Steyr has confirmed this is the configuration they will be offering.

If it was this, I'd be all over it.

http://www.pjs-steyraug.com/auga31.jpg

Kind of funny so many people come out with AR killers only to change it into a disappointment for me. I don't like being limited to Steyr's awkward VFG, and I despise the incredibly limited light mounting options.

EDIT: I just read PJ's page again, and it seems Steyr will be offering rail systems, but they won't be available factory direct on AUG's???? I just don't see the point of not offering the full rail. The side rail sits so high from the VFG it's be nearly impossible to get to the light with out taking your hand completely off the gun.

Jay Cunningham
12-22-08, 12:59
I think that looks F'ing awesome!

I am not the slightest bit interested in some retro-clone.

RAM Engineer
12-22-08, 13:03
Can AUGs be made to eject to the left for us southpaws?

Jay Cunningham
12-22-08, 13:05
Kind of funny so many people come out with AR killers only to change it into a disappointment for me. I don't like being limited to Steyr's awkward VFG, and I despise the incredibly limited light mounting options.

I look at that AUG and see an x300 at the very front with a tape switch on the vert grip and an AimPoint Micro behind it. Add a Vicker's sling and we're GTG.

TOrrock
12-22-08, 13:06
Will this AUG have a chrome lined bore/chamber?

Do you know which of these have lined bores?

FN FS2000
FN SCAR

I've always felt chrome lining was a big step in improved reliability, is this a correct assumption?

The new Steyr/Sabre AUG should be hard chromed, and the FN products are hard chromed as well.

olds442tyguy
12-22-08, 13:08
I look at that AUG and see an x300 at the very front with a tape switch on the vert grip and an AimPoint Micro behind it. Add a Vicker's sling and we're GTG.
I guess that'd work, but I'd honestly prefer mine as depicted in the second picture, but with a good sling and a Trijicon TR21/24.

TOrrock
12-22-08, 13:17
Can AUGs be made to eject to the left for us southpaws?

Yes, it requires a new bolt I believe.

The pre-89 imported rifles certainly were. You swap out the bolt and put the block on the right handed ejection port which opens up the left hand ejection port.

kal
12-22-08, 13:45
I'm the biggest complainer on this forum and even I don't mind what Steyr is going to bring to the market from a conceptual standpoint.

To me, the AUG is a straight up infantry rifle. It's not dedicated to any type of combat or role (aside from the fact that bullpups were generally considered and aqcuired for modern forces that work in and out of armored vehicles). Wanting to put on a flash light means heavy usage in a CQB environment. I'd guess that most would agree that an AUG isn't really as suited for that type of combat as a short barreled ar15 of sorts. The decision may be attributed to ergonomics alone. But what do I know? Except that almost every nation that uses a bullpup has special forces that use M4 instead. Hmmmm....

Then again, with all the competitors coming out with tricked out rifles and rails all over the place, maybe Steyr doesn't have an excuse.

jhs1969
12-22-08, 14:07

I just read a review on the Micro Tech, they gave it rave reviews but I'm cautious as it seems everything gets rave reviews. Does the Micro Tech have chrome lined bores? Does anyone here own one? Any thoughts or opinions on the Miro Tech or as it compares to the new Steyr AUG?

Ed L.
12-22-08, 14:18
You can buy a special left handed bolt and switch the ejection port cover over to allow the Steyr to eject from the left.

The new AUGs will be identical to the old Steyr AUGs in terms of parts and such.

Dave L.
12-22-08, 14:26
I think that looks F'ing awesome!

I am not the slightest bit interested in some retro-clone.

Me too!

Dave L.
12-22-08, 14:38
Anyone know who(dealers) will be selling these and at what price?

TOrrock
12-22-08, 14:48
I just read a review on the Micro Tech, they gave it rave reviews but I'm cautious as it seems everything gets rave reviews. Does the Micro Tech have chrome lined bores? Does anyone here own one? Any thoughts or opinions on the Miro Tech or as it compares to the new Steyr AUG?

Tomac wrote up a review of his here on the forum, should be in this section and should pop up on a search.

I don't think they use chrome lined barrels, and you're correct not to trust anything in a gun magazine. If it's in a magazine, it's going to be positive. You will not see an editor print a negative review of any firearm or piece off gear in the print media.

RyanS
12-22-08, 14:49
There's a lot of gnashing of teeth over on TOS about how Steyr is "Sigging" up the rifle. Hopefully it will result in a lot of people pulling their names of the waiting lists. I'm actually pretty partial to the new AUG as is being released.

texasyid
12-22-08, 15:34
#1 I'm on the lists for three.

JG1911
12-23-08, 12:24
I'd buy the railed (A3 ?) version for that amount of coin, but not the standard one. Bummer.

variablebinary
12-23-08, 15:48
There's a lot of gnashing of teeth over on TOS about how Steyr is "Sigging" up the rifle. Hopefully it will result in a lot of people pulling their names of the waiting lists. I'm actually pretty partial to the new AUG as is being released.

Linky?

Cagemonkey
12-23-08, 18:41
Just bought a Microtech Stg 5.56. They have eliminated the bolt assist and are now compatible with AUG magazines. The barrels are Chrome lined and come in different lengths. 14" 1:7, 16" 1:8, 20" 1:9. Installed a Trigger Tamer and mounted a Aimpoint Comp ML3 with 4 MOA dot. Can't wait for the weather to improve so I can get to the range.

RyanS
12-24-08, 10:17
Linky?

Variable,

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=43&t=262077

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=43&t=261518

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=43&t=262352

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=43&t=261677&page=2

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=43&t=262951

Dave L.
12-24-08, 11:34
After sifting through all that shit on ARFCOM, I guess the conclusion is that we are getting an AUG A1 w/flat-top rail for $2,300-2,400.
People are obviously angry, especially since this weapon is supposed to hit the market with in a month and there is really no pictures or technical info. Even the distributors don't know much.
I guess we will probably have to wait and see.

I hate to use the term "Sig", as in they are going to "Sig" this weapon too, but I think the A3's are what people were hoping for at least as an option.
I have no doubt that Sabre will make it to the best of their capabilities however, it seems overpriced for what the MSAR STG costs.

olds442tyguy
12-24-08, 14:11
Yeah, I'm out. If I wanted an A1, I'd already have one.

It's still cool they're offering them I guess. :cool:

threeheadeddog
12-24-08, 21:57
Ok, I had a very long winded response, but I deleted it.

Basically the writing was on the wall for anyone who read any of the AUG threads that whatever they released there was going to be a lot of people complaining.

As far as I'm concerened what they did(if it is in fact the final config) is combine all the models into the most practical rifle they could. 99.9 percent of people will be able to mount everyting they want/need on the rifle in this config. It is very inspired by the Jagdomo(or whatever) rifle that everyone wet their pants over just a few months ago an proclaimed "the most awesome thing ever if it was only for sale i would by 10 just so i had extra blah blah blah" The configuration on the web sit is as light as one can get while still having rail space for optic, light, or whatever goody you want. The only issue I could imagine would be a bipod and the last pic I saw of an A3 had an odd top rail mounted bipod that would negate that prob right there.

Simply put I will in fact be buying this rifle if funds permit and the firearm laws stay favorable through mid 09. This rifle is slightly out of my "impulse" buy price range but if given enough time I will have enough saved up unless something causes me to spent the cash in a panic buy. This of course depends on positive feedback of the rifle but the parties involved lend me to believe that these will be of high quality.

ITSTOCK
12-24-08, 22:46
**** it, I'm sold.:mad:

kal
12-24-08, 23:39
**** it, I'm sold. :mad:

You don't sound too enthusiastic.

variablebinary
12-25-08, 07:28
After sifting through all that shit on ARFCOM, I guess the conclusion is that we are getting an AUG A1 w/flat-top rail for $2,300-2,400.
People are obviously angry, especially since this weapon is supposed to hit the market with in a month and there is really no pictures or technical info. Even the distributors don't know much.
I guess we will probably have to wait and see.

I hate to use the term "Sig", as in they are going to "Sig" this weapon too, but I think the A3's are what people were hoping for at least as an option.
I have no doubt that Sabre will make it to the best of their capabilities however, it seems overpriced for what the MSAR STG costs.

I just think it's funny that "SIG'ing" something means to FUBAR it. What? It doesnt mean SWISS standards :D

And when it comes to the AUG, my main concern is that it be built to true mil-grade standards, and be 100% compatible with Steryr parts. Having an A1 is ten times better than having an A0 or some horrid look alike.

ITSTOCK
12-25-08, 10:30
You don't sound too enthusiastic.

It's still a 40 year old design, just with a different rail and newer manufacturing techniques. I'm really not that enthusiastic about it.

Dave L.
12-25-08, 11:48
It's still a 40 year old design, just with a different rail and newer manufacturing techniques. I'm really not that enthusiastic about it.

Exactly. I may get one, but I'm honestly not as enthusiastic as I would have been if an A3 version were coming out. I was willing to spend my SCAR money on an A3.
Oh well, at least another "assault weapon" is coming to the American market.

RAM Engineer
12-25-08, 22:26
aAUGh! = the sound of Charlie Brown's disappointment.

I just read that the standard AUG twist rate is 1/9. That is a bigger problem for me than the rail options (or lack thereof). I'm guessing that no one can yet confirm that this gun will have a 1/9.

texasyid
12-26-08, 07:16
My preban A1 does have a1/9 twist rate. I just can't help but think that this new one will be able to shoot the heavier rounds. I'm going to take a wild guess and say it will be 1/8.

olds442tyguy
12-26-08, 13:23
I bet Steyr is scared of what happened to Sig with the 556. Unfortunately for them though, the A3 would have likely sold MUCH better.

Dave L.
12-26-08, 14:41
I bet Steyr is scared of what happened to Sig with the 556. Unfortunately for them though, the A3 would have likely sold MUCH better.

Hopefully Sabre wont Sig the AUG:p

Dave L.
03-04-09, 06:54
Sabre AUG...where are they?

ballistic
03-04-09, 08:25
Sabre AUG...where are they?

Projected Release Date 1st or 2nd week of March 2009 Hang Tight Guys!!

Dave L.
03-04-09, 08:41
Why the hell are they using a 1/9 twist? I hope that's a typo, Sabre should know better. :mad:

RAM Engineer
03-04-09, 09:03
That was the twist of the original AUGs.

Cagemonkey
03-04-09, 19:57
My MSAR 16" barrel is a 1/8" twist and is currently available .

Ghostface03
03-04-09, 20:23
I thought maybe I had seen one of these at a gun show. Maybe not. Looks pretty cool though.

Dave L.
03-26-09, 11:28
Remember when these were coming in January :rolleyes:

Where are they?

RyanS
03-26-09, 15:48
Remember when these were coming in January :rolleyes:

Where are they?

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=125820297

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=125763409

variablebinary
03-26-09, 15:54
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=125820297

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=125763409

Sweet. I was wondering what happened to these

Dave L.
03-26-09, 16:44
I hope they flood the market with AUG's and open up some breathing room for AR mfg's.

Looks great though, wonder how much people will pay for the first run?

variablebinary
03-26-09, 18:21
http://pics.gunbroker.com/GB/125820000/125820297/pix23259687.jpg

http://pics.gunbroker.com/GB/125820000/125820297/pix23622328.jpg

http://pics.gunbroker.com/GB/125763000/125763409/pix1266051656.jpg

http://pics.gunbroker.com/GB/125763000/125763409/pix1266051796.jpg

Puffy93
03-30-09, 22:47
Will these take AR mags?

Someone makes an ar mag conversion unit for the orriginals. I think i saw the add in a shotgun news If they are built to mil-spec standards it should fit.