PDA

View Full Version : NRA. Support Or Not?

Whalstib
01-18-21, 11:22
My NRA lapsed recently and I got caught up in the LaPierre bashing and have not renewed...

That said I can't really find exactly what was happening aside from assertions from the left. The left media are masters at twisting "facts" and fake news.

I mean if he dipped into the funds for a new suit he deserves to be taxidermied and put him on display at a reptile farm in Florida. (For an extra two bucks, you get to kick him in the kiester.) BUT is this taking away from the good work others are doing? is the corruption so deep and crimes so bad we should stop supporting the NRA?

I've gathered MANY 2A types are disillusioned with the current NRA admin.

How much of it is actually true and does the NRA still deserve our support?

I'm considering GOA and/or as a way to contribute to the fight. Any others that are doing better with our $$ entrusted to them?

Thanks!

everready73
01-18-21, 11:29
I wont support them until he is gone..

GOA and my local state org are who i support. I will go back to the NRA if/when they get new leadership that is acceptable

everready73
01-18-21, 11:29
I wont support them until he is gone..

GOA and my local state org are who i support. I will go back to the NRA if/when they get new leadership that is acceptable

OH58D
01-18-21, 11:32
I'm a life member, so I'll get American Rifleman magazine until I croak. I don't know how I would un-support them now other than making sure they don't have phone number, which they now don't.

lowprone
01-18-21, 11:33
I won't support them until he is gone !

Whiskey_Bravo
01-18-21, 11:54
I'm a life member, so I'll get American Rifleman magazine until I croak. I don't know how I would un-support them now other than making sure they don't have phone number, which they now don't.

Same here.

Alex V
01-18-21, 12:20
I became a lifetime member before all the info on Wayne came out.

I don't think they offer refunds.

Averageman
01-18-21, 12:55
Screw Wayne.
I will support them until I have a better alternative, GOA is looking like my choice.

Dr. Bullseye
01-18-21, 13:21
The NRA filed bankruptcy and are moving and reorganizing in Texas and Wayne is gone. Maybe we can get Col. Allen West to run the NRA now.

FromMyColdDeadHand
01-18-21, 14:14
Hopefully, the celebrating on the left about this will turn to tears when hopefully the next iteration of the NRA isn't run by an narcissistic, incompetent, child-molester looking dumbass, who used the NRA as revenue stream and not a cvil rights organization.

How can they go broke? I thought the Russians were just dumping money into them... ;)

Swstock
01-18-21, 14:50
GOA and FPC are the 2 that I favor, but am also a member of NAGR and the NRA just because.

Averageman
01-18-21, 14:54
The NRA filed bankruptcy and are moving and reorganizing in Texas and Wayne is gone. Maybe we can get Col. Allen West to run the NRA now.

That's about the best case scenario.
At least Wayne has a stash of nice suits for his next job interview, but why do I guess Wayne would work for the DNC now if they gave him an interview.

kwelz
01-18-21, 15:10
I think it really depends on what happens in the coming months. Ole Wayne turned it into a personal money making scheme. Over the last few decades the organization has been more and more willing to sell us out. Why? Because it lets them use fear mongering to raise more money. They have even gone so far as to support gun control plans in some cases.

If they continue down the same path then giving them money is the same as burning it. If they actually change and show a willingness to fight for us then yeah they should be supported.

utahjeepr
01-18-21, 15:18
Where has anyone seen that Pepe Le Pew is out? Pretty sure that turd is gonna try to hang on until he manages to fully bring down the NRA around him. He ain't pro 2A, never has been. He's only pro "2 Me!!!"

taliv
01-18-21, 15:31
the point is the entire board is acting like the NRA exists for them. Anyone who voted for wayne needs to go. Wayne's behavior, even if legal, destroyed a 100+ year old institution dedicated to preservation of rights. If he had resigned immediately, the NRA would have been able to effectively deal with multiple gun control issues in the past 2 years, like bump stock bans, etc.

Their attitude has been self serving for years. They don't support other gun rights groups like VCDL. Heck, they opposed the HELLER case.

As if that's not bad enough, their instructor and RO and shooting certifications are a total joke. Their competitions have been completely obscured by pretty much everything else from USPSA to PRS. Eddie Eagle has been shut out of most schools. they couldn't even get three of the four rules written correctly!

Is there ANYTHING they're not cocking up? maybe affiliate firearms insurance?

the sooner they disappear and are replaced by something effective, the better we will all be

utahjeepr
01-18-21, 16:02
FWIW. After my post I browsed around and joined the 2nd Ammendment Foundation. Not schilling for them, but I chose to send them some money.

Our 2A is gonna be on the line soon. I recommend giving to the group(s) of your choice.

ETA: long time life NRA donor, but not sure I'm willing to buy Wayne a new pair of boxers by upgrading to patron.

SpecWired
01-18-21, 16:08
Lifetime member, so I'm in. Doesn't mean it isn't a horribly mismanaged organization that dug its own hole.

Todd.K
01-18-21, 16:31
the sooner they disappear and are replaced by something effective, the better we will all be

It would be easier to rebuild from the inside, as would the Republican Party. But a replacement or rebuilding will take work and dedication, so I expect we will just complain on the internet, until we are no longe allowed on the internet.

ddbtoth
01-18-21, 16:49
the point is the entire board is acting like the NRA exists for them. Anyone who voted for wayne needs to go. Wayne's behavior, even if legal, destroyed a 100+ year old institution dedicated to preservation of rights. If he had resigned immediately, the NRA would have been able to effectively deal with multiple gun control issues in the past 2 years, like bump stock bans, etc.

Their attitude has been self serving for years. They don't support other gun rights groups like VCDL. Heck, they opposed the HELLER case.

As if that's not bad enough, their instructor and RO and shooting certifications are a total joke. Their competitions have been completely obscured by pretty much everything else from USPSA to PRS. Eddie Eagle has been shut out of most schools. they couldn't even get three of the four rules written correctly!

Is there ANYTHING they're not cocking up? maybe affiliate firearms insurance?

Sadly this. Politicians used to fear the nra, now they’re leftist joke.

Averageman
01-18-21, 16:49
It would be easier to rebuild from the inside, as would the Republican Party. But a replacement or rebuilding will take work and dedication, so I expect we will just complain on the internet, until we are no longer allowed on the internet.

And if anything, this is why I have stuck by the NRA.

taliv
01-18-21, 17:05
sure, it would be much easier to rebuild from the inside. all that needs to happen is for wayne to step aside. maybe, instead of protesting in DC, we need to start by rioting at wayne's house.

once he's gone, we could turn the recruiting effort around and in a few months be twice as big as we ever were.

but until then, GOA, SAF, VCDL and state orgs

Averageman
01-18-21, 17:08
sure, it would be much easier to rebuild from the inside. all that needs to happen is for wayne to step aside. maybe, instead of protesting in DC, we need to start by rioting at wayne's house.

once he's gone, we could turn the recruiting effort around and in a few months be twice as big as we ever were.

Imagine the NRA again sponsoring High School Rifle Teams.

Mr McSimon
01-18-21, 17:59
I've switched all my support dollars to National Association for Gun Rights (NAGR), RMGO, GOA, and ASA. Once the NRA get's itself straightened out, I'll consider giving to them again, but as of right now they seem to have forgotten where they come from why they even exist.

jsbhike
01-18-21, 18:04
The NRA wasn't started to protect the 2nd Amendment, but to train shooters due to the poor marksmanship of the Union Army during the 1860's.

The 2nd Amendment protection really didn't kick in until Neal Knox who(based on a few snippets I have seen) doesn't seem to be exactly thought of fondly by the heads now.

Diamondback
01-18-21, 18:04

Wayne didn't corrupt the org overnight and turning it around is gonna be a chessgame 1-2 BOD seats at a time. https://www.savethe2a.org

Do YOU know who the Directors are? If you're an eligible Member (perk of Life, no need to worry about that "5 years good standing and all they have to do to reset the clock is 'lose' one payment" thing) DO you vote in the BOD election?

My personal litmus test is if the BOD is for it I'm probably against it, if the Committee endorses someone I oppose on principle, if a proposal is Member Initiative I'm generally for it and if a candidate is by Member Nomination I'm generally more favorably disposed to them.

Whalstib
01-18-21, 19:05
Are Wayne's malfeasances chronicled anywhere?

Magnifying and distorting any irregularities would not be beyond the left...

jsbhike
01-18-21, 19:17

Magnifying and distorting any irregularities would not be beyond the left...

Plenty of documentation on funneling money and endorsements to anti 2nd Amendment candidates.

joedirt199
01-18-21, 20:15
Got out when they pound you day and night for more money. Got old dodging phone calls and junk mail right after you just renewed your membership.

P2Vaircrewman
01-18-21, 20:28
For some of the younger guys here who may not have lived through this, I did.

https://onlygunsandmoney.com/2020/08/13/neal-knox-nra-restored-to-proper-course.html

HCrum87hc
01-19-21, 08:43
I quit supporting them several years ago. When my 5 year membership runs out, I don't plan on reupping. All of my support goes to FPC these days. They're actually in the judicial trenches getting things done.

kerplode
01-19-21, 11:09
Personally, I think the NRA is done. They might not cease to exist, but they will never again be an effective lobbying force. They've become a meme. Their 'F' rating is now a badge of honor.

I still have an active membership, but now and going forward, I'll be sending my supporting GOA, JPFO, SAF, and FPC.

Here's a tip: SAF is a 501(c)(3). You may be able to get your company to match donations to them through any giving program you might have, and you can configure Amazon Smile to donate to them as well. I do both. It's pretty satisfying to cause liberal companies to support 2A in this way.

Ned Christiansen
01-19-21, 11:51
Now is the best time ever to support NRA, Wayne or no. Malfeasance or no. In any event NRA has done us a ton of good over the decades that no one else has or could have. Big picture, guys. If NRA fails, also consider how they'll dance on its grave proclaiming, "See? Everyone agrees, no one needs a black rifle. Or magazines that hold more than ten rounds, do I hear five rounds, two rounds, who will bid two rounds? Why would anyone need a pump shotgun that hold four rounds. Release the Betos!"

Big picture. That's how THEY are thinking. They are being handed almost everything they want on a silver platter right now. My opinion--? To abandon NRA now is to upgrade that to a gold platter and tell them they're right.

I say help NRA come back and say for us, "Thought you'd kick me while I'm down? Well guess what, my people had my back, now put down the Constitution, drop the matches, and step the F away."

ChattanoogaPhil
01-19-21, 12:06
The NRA no longer has influence in Washington. NRA is a pariah. Regardless of paper shuffling to reorganize and incorporate in Texas, it doesn't make much sense to remain headquartered in the liberal bubble just outside DC. As far as political influence at the state level, I don't see it. The guru of NRA lobbyists in Florida, Marion Hammer, got squashed like a fat palmetto bug under the boot of a republican controlled legislature. Texas? What has the NRA done lately to advance free exercise of the 2A in Texas? They attacked gun owners in Texas who wanted open carry freedoms, and the NRA aided in criminalizing Texans who owned bump stocks.

Lacking political clout in Washington and at the state level, the NRA is basically representing gun owners via litigation. I believe GOA, SAF and other organizations are smarter litigators than the NRA. Heck, there wouldn't even have been a Heller decision if the NRA had their way. On the other hand, the NRA is a fantastic organization for firearms safety, training and shooting sports. Stick to what you're good at.

Ned Christiansen
01-19-21, 12:12
I also support GOA and almost any outfit that has me on their mailing list. Not a lot but--some.... so at the very least I'm a statistic in their favor. I would never say don't support the others. I concentrate on the NRA and this discussion prompted me to make a donation of $250 just now. Any way you cut it, letting NRA founder is a huge victory for the opposition, I don't want to hand it to them.

Tried to donate online and it didn't want to go. Maybe it was my fault but I checked my input very carefully. I wondered... CC company obstruction? I called them and they made it happen.
https://donate.nra.org/donate
800 672 3888

glocktogo
01-19-21, 12:14
The NRA wasn't started to protect the 2nd Amendment, but to train shooters due to the poor marksmanship of the Union Army during the 1860's.

The 2nd Amendment protection really didn't kick in until Neal Knox who(based on a few snippets I have seen) doesn't seem to be exactly thought of fondly by the heads now.

Funny, because the overwhelming majority of their marketing and fundraising is based on fearmongering the demise of the 2nd Amendment. Without Neal Knox, LaPuke wouldn't have gotten a new snotrag, much less a closet full of Italian suits.

The NRA will not get another dime from me until they cleanse the organization from the top down. That means LaPuke and ALL his acolytes.

ChattanoogaPhil
01-19-21, 12:21

This is the press release of allegations against NRA leadership directly from the New York AG's website: https://ag.ny.gov/press-release/2020/attorney-general-james-files-lawsuit-dissolve-nra

--------

NRA’s Culture of Self-Dealing, Mismanagement, and Negligence

The lawsuit alleges that the four men instituted a culture of self-dealing, mismanagement, and negligent oversight at the NRA that was illegal, oppressive, and fraudulent. They overrode and evaded internal controls to allow themselves, their families, favored board members, employees, and vendors to benefit through reimbursed expenses, related party transactions, excess compensation, side deals, and waste of charitable assets without regard to the NRA’s best interests.

When board members challenged LaPierre and others over their financial governance and leadership of the NRA, LaPierre retaliated and turned the board against those who attempted to challenge the illegal behavior.

The complaint lays out numerous other instances in which LaPierre, Phillips, Powell, Frazer, and other executives and board members at the NRA abused their power and illegally diverted or facilitated the diversion of tens of millions of dollars from the NRA. These funds were in addition to millions of dollars the four individual defendants were already receiving in grossly excessive salaries and bonuses that were not in line with the best practices and prudent standards for evaluating and determining compensation.

Wayne LaPierre – Executive Vice-President

In his nearly three decades as executive vice-president, Wayne LaPierre ran the day-to-day operations of the NRA and exploited the organization for his and his family’s financial benefit, and the benefit of a close circle of NRA staff, board members, and vendors. Of note, LaPierre:

Spent hundreds of thousands of dollars of the NRA’s charitable assets for private plane trips for himself and his family, including extended family when he was not present.
Visited the Bahamas by private air charter at least eight times in an approximate three-year period with his family, at a cost of more than $500,000 to the NRA. On many of those trips, LaPierre and his family were gifted the use of a 107-foot yacht owned by an NRA vendor.
Traveled to Africa with his wife for all-expense paid safaris, gifted by an NRA vendor.
Spent millions on unwarranted travel consultants for decades, including for the booking of luxury black car services — spending more than $3.6 million in the last two years alone.
Secured a post-employment contract for himself with the NRA, without board approval, currently valued at more than $17 million.
Allotted several millions of dollars annually in NRA funds for private security costs for himself and his family without sufficient oversight on their use.
Received more than $1.2 million in expense reimbursements in just a four-year period for expenditures that included gifts for favored friends and vendors; travel expenses for himself and his family; and membership fees at golf clubs, hotels, and other member clubs.
Secured lucrative consulting contracts for ex-employees and board members worth millions.
The complaint alleges that as executive vice-president, LaPierre handpicked individuals in senior staff positions at the NRA that have shown themselves to be loyal to LaPierre as an individual, rather than to the organization. Time and time again, LaPierre has shown that loyalty, more than competence and responsibility, is integral to his staffing picks, which led him to personally hire Phillips, Powell, and Frazer — some chosen despite failing to meet the necessary skills or experience for their respective roles and responsibilities.

Wilson “Woody” Phillips – Former Treasurer and Chief Financial Officer

Woody Phillips — the former treasurer and CFO, who was responsible for managing the books and financial operations of the NRA — engaged in practices that violated NRA policy, lied on financial disclosure forms, and set up a deal worth more than $1 million that benefitted his girlfriend. Just before his retirement in 2018, Phillips obtained a contract for himself worth $1.8 million, purportedly for monthly consulting services to the incoming treasurer, even though the current treasurer knew nothing about this contract and has confirmed that “Woody [Phillips] never consulted for me.” Phillips, having served in the capacity as the chief steward of the organization's finances, also oversaw the financial practices that allowed millions of dollars in entertainment and travel expenses incurred by NRA executives to be fraudulently billed to the NRA as disbursements by the NRA’s largest vendor: Ackerman McQueen, an Oklahoma-based advertising and public relations firm. Furthermore, the complaint asserts that Phillips consistently eschewed his fiduciary duties time and time again, as evidenced by his failure to seriously respond to whistleblower complaints about alleged fiscal improprieties and his readiness to unilaterally authorize payments and contracts outside of the NRA adopted purchasing and contracting policies and procedures.

Joshua Powell – Former Chief of Staff and Executive Director of General Operations

Joshua Powell, the chief of staff to LaPierre, was terminated after just 3.5 years for, among other things, misappropriating NRA funds during his tenure. Powell, who is known as a LaPierre loyalist, received sudden and substantial salary increases almost immediately after starting his position. Within a month, his salary was doubled retroactively to the beginning of his tenure with the NRA to $500,000. After less than a year, Powell’s salary increased to $650,000. A little over two years into the job, Powell’s salary more than tripled from the original $250,000 to $800,000, despite numerous complaints of abusive behavior and evidence of illegal conduct and inappropriate spending. Further, Powell abused the NRA’s policy on housing and relocation reimbursements, pocketing in excess of $100,000 more than NRA rules allowed.

Powell’s tenure was marked by nepotism. LaPierre, Phillips, and Powell also signed off on the hiring of fundraising consultant McKenna & Associates outside of the NRA’s contract process and without going through any approval process. The NRA paid the company more than $5 million over the course of five years. For all of 2018, Powell’s wife was hired as a consultant by McKenna & Associates, and her entire $30,000 monthly consulting fee was passed through the NRA. The hiring of Powell’s wife was hidden from the NRA’s general counsel, in an effort to not draw attention to and affirmatively hide the conflict of interest, and her role was not pre-approved by the NRA board, as the organization’s policy requires. Additionally, Powell requested an NRA vendor to add his father to a rotation of paid photographers, resulting in more than $90,000 in compensation for his father, an expense which was completely passed through to the NRA.

John Frazer – Corporate Secretary and General Counsel

John Frazer was chosen by LaPierre to serve as general counsel and also served as corporate secretary at the NRA. Between 2014 and 2018, Frazer repeatedly failed to comply with board governance procedures, make necessary changes, or advise others that governance changes needed to be made; failed to ensure that financial transactions were being addressed by NRA officers and directors in accordance with law; failed to enforce compliance with the NRA’s conflict of interest policy; and failed to ensure that the NRA was in compliance with laws and policies governing whistleblowers. Additionally, Frazer repeatedly certified false or misleading annual statements.

Ackerman McQueen – NRA’s Public Relations and Advertising Firm

A practice decades-old between LaPierre and Ackerman McQueen’s co-founder — that would continue until the two companies severed ties in 2019 — ensured that Ackerman McQueen would pay for a variety of non-contractual, out-of-pocket expenses for LaPierre and other NRA executives and pass those expenses through to the NRA. The NRA leadership regularly used this pass-through arrangement — where expenses would be paid for by the NRA without written approvals, receipts, or supporting business purpose documentation — to conceal private travel and other costs that were largely personal in nature. Ackerman McQueen would aggregate the expenses into a lump sum amount and provide no details on the nature or purpose of the expenses when billing the NRA for them. The invoices only typically included a one-line description that read “out-of-pocket expenses” and included an invoice total amount. The expenses billed to the NRA for out-of-pocket expenses did not comply with IRS requirements, and, as a result, all such expenses should have been included by the NRA in taxable personal income for LaPierre and other recipients.

Ackerman McQueen was paid more than $70 million in just 2017 and 2018 for “public relations and advertising” services and for “out-of-pocket expenditures” that really went to entertainment and travel incurred by NRA executives and associates without scrutiny from within the organization, including millions for private planes, luxury hotels, memberships to private clubs, special events, fancy meals, and even personal hair and makeup services for LaPierre’s wife.

NRA Audit Committee’s Failure to Audit

Under New York law, the NRA’s audit committee is responsible for overseeing the accounting and financial reporting processes of the organization and the audit of its financial statements, but the culture of noncompliance and disregard for the internal controls is evident within the audit committee. The committee failed to serve as an independent check on LaPierre, his senior staff, and the NRA as a whole, and basically served as a rubber stamp for the organization’s illicit behavior, when it did review finances.

For example, the audit committee is charged with reviewing any contract that has the appearance of a conflict of interest, such as a contracts with insiders referred to as related-party transactions, and must not only perform certain considerations, but also document its deliberations. The committee routinely approved related-party transactions after LaPierre or senior staff entered into such agreements. In fact, in 2018, the audit committee approved seven related-party transactions after the fact, including a contract between the NRA’s then incoming president and Ackerman McQueen. At the time this contract was executed, the terms were known to LaPierre and Phillips, but the audit committee had no knowledge of it. Then, again in 2019 and 2020, the audit committee purportedly approved, retroactively, many other existing NRA contracts, some of which dated back 15 years.

The audit committee’s chair testified during a deposition with the OAG that he had no knowledge of New York law governing audit committees, whistleblowers, or conflicts of interest, and that he could not recall the last time he had seen the audit committee charter that specifically states the audit committee “overs[ees] the integrity of financial information” at the NRA. In fact, the committee chair testified that, in his view and contrary to the charter, the audit committee had no role in oversight of internal controls and that “there is no internal auditing” within the NRA and there hadn’t been one in the whole 19 years he served on the NRA board.

Unsurprisingly, during numerous occasions, the audit committee failed to respond adequately to whistleblowers, failed to appropriately review and approve related-party transactions and conflicts of interest, and failed to adequately oversee external auditors.

Extensive Violations of Fundamental Not-for-Profit Law

Attorney General James alleges in her complaint that the NRA violated multiple laws, including the laws governing the NRA’s charitable status, false reporting on annual filings with the IRS and with the OAG’s Charities Bureau, improper expense documentation, improper wage reporting, improper income tax withholding, failure to make required excise tax reporting and payments, payments in excess of reasonable compensation to disqualified persons, and waste of NRA assets; in direct violation of New York’s Estates, Powers & Trusts Laws; New York’s Not-for-Profit Corporation Law; the New York Prudent Management of Institutional Funds Act; and New York’s Executive Law. The illegal nature of the four individual defendants’ action also violated multiple rules of the NRA’s bylaws, the NRA’s employee handbook, and the NRA’s policy manual.

The failure of the NRA to comply with multiple fiduciary responsibilities and state and federal laws resulted in the NRA seeing substantial losses on its balance sheet: going from a surplus of $27,802,714 in 2015 to a net deficit of $36,276,779 in 2018 — contributing to a total loss of more than $64 million in just three years.

Proposed Resolution

As a result of all the allegations mentioned above, Attorney General James seeks to dissolve the NRA; asks the court to order LaPierre, Phillips, Powell, and Frazer to make full restitution for funds they unlawfully profited and salaries earned while employees; pay penalties; recover illegal and unauthorized payments to the four individuals; remove LaPierre and Frazer from the NRA’s leadership (Phillips and Powell are no longer employed by the NRA); and ensure none of the four individual defendants can ever again serve on the board of a charity in New York.

Whalstib
01-19-21, 18:52
This is the press release of allegations against NRA leadership directly from the New York AG's website: https://ag.ny.gov/press-release/2020/attorney-general-james-files-lawsuit-dissolve-nra

--------

NRA’s Culture of Self-Dealing, Mismanagement, and Negligence

The lawsuit alleges that the four men instituted a culture of self-dealing, mismanagement, and negligent oversight at the NRA that was illegal, oppressive, and fraudulent. They overrode and evaded internal controls to allow themselves, their families, favored board members, employees, and vendors to benefit through reimbursed expenses, related party transactions, excess compensation, side deals, and waste of charitable assets without regard to the NRA’s best interests.

When board members challenged LaPierre and others over their financial governance and leadership of the NRA, LaPierre retaliated and turned the board against those who attempted to challenge the illegal behavior.

The complaint lays out numerous other instances in which LaPierre, Phillips, Powell, Frazer, and other executives and board members at the NRA abused their power and illegally diverted or facilitated the diversion of tens of millions of dollars from the NRA. These funds were in addition to millions of dollars the four individual defendants were already receiving in grossly excessive salaries and bonuses that were not in line with the best practices and prudent standards for evaluating and determining compensation.

Wayne LaPierre – Executive Vice-President

In his nearly three decades as executive vice-president, Wayne LaPierre ran the day-to-day operations of the NRA and exploited the organization for his and his family’s financial benefit, and the benefit of a close circle of NRA staff, board members, and vendors. Of note, LaPierre:

Spent hundreds of thousands of dollars of the NRA’s charitable assets for private plane trips for himself and his family, including extended family when he was not present.
Visited the Bahamas by private air charter at least eight times in an approximate three-year period with his family, at a cost of more than $500,000 to the NRA. On many of those trips, LaPierre and his family were gifted the use of a 107-foot yacht owned by an NRA vendor.
Traveled to Africa with his wife for all-expense paid safaris, gifted by an NRA vendor.
Spent millions on unwarranted travel consultants for decades, including for the booking of luxury black car services — spending more than $3.6 million in the last two years alone.
Secured a post-employment contract for himself with the NRA, without board approval, currently valued at more than $17 million.
Allotted several millions of dollars annually in NRA funds for private security costs for himself and his family without sufficient oversight on their use.
Received more than $1.2 million in expense reimbursements in just a four-year period for expenditures that included gifts for favored friends and vendors; travel expenses for himself and his family; and membership fees at golf clubs, hotels, and other member clubs.
Secured lucrative consulting contracts for ex-employees and board members worth millions.
The complaint alleges that as executive vice-president, LaPierre handpicked individuals in senior staff positions at the NRA that have shown themselves to be loyal to LaPierre as an individual, rather than to the organization. Time and time again, LaPierre has shown that loyalty, more than competence and responsibility, is integral to his staffing picks, which led him to personally hire Phillips, Powell, and Frazer — some chosen despite failing to meet the necessary skills or experience for their respective roles and responsibilities.

Wilson “Woody” Phillips – Former Treasurer and Chief Financial Officer

Woody Phillips — the former treasurer and CFO, who was responsible for managing the books and financial operations of the NRA — engaged in practices that violated NRA policy, lied on financial disclosure forms, and set up a deal worth more than $1 million that benefitted his girlfriend. Just before his retirement in 2018, Phillips obtained a contract for himself worth $1.8 million, purportedly for monthly consulting services to the incoming treasurer, even though the current treasurer knew nothing about this contract and has confirmed that “Woody [Phillips] never consulted for me.” Phillips, having served in the capacity as the chief steward of the organization's finances, also oversaw the financial practices that allowed millions of dollars in entertainment and travel expenses incurred by NRA executives to be fraudulently billed to the NRA as disbursements by the NRA’s largest vendor: Ackerman McQueen, an Oklahoma-based advertising and public relations firm. Furthermore, the complaint asserts that Phillips consistently eschewed his fiduciary duties time and time again, as evidenced by his failure to seriously respond to whistleblower complaints about alleged fiscal improprieties and his readiness to unilaterally authorize payments and contracts outside of the NRA adopted purchasing and contracting policies and procedures.

Joshua Powell – Former Chief of Staff and Executive Director of General Operations

Joshua Powell, the chief of staff to LaPierre, was terminated after just 3.5 years for, among other things, misappropriating NRA funds during his tenure. Powell, who is known as a LaPierre loyalist, received sudden and substantial salary increases almost immediately after starting his position. Within a month, his salary was doubled retroactively to the beginning of his tenure with the NRA to $500,000. After less than a year, Powell’s salary increased to $650,000. A little over two years into the job, Powell’s salary more than tripled from the original $250,000 to $800,000, despite numerous complaints of abusive behavior and evidence of illegal conduct and inappropriate spending. Further, Powell abused the NRA’s policy on housing and relocation reimbursements, pocketing in excess of $100,000 more than NRA rules allowed.

Powell’s tenure was marked by nepotism. LaPierre, Phillips, and Powell also signed off on the hiring of fundraising consultant McKenna & Associates outside of the NRA’s contract process and without going through any approval process. The NRA paid the company more than $5 million over the course of five years. For all of 2018, Powell’s wife was hired as a consultant by McKenna & Associates, and her entire $30,000 monthly consulting fee was passed through the NRA. The hiring of Powell’s wife was hidden from the NRA’s general counsel, in an effort to not draw attention to and affirmatively hide the conflict of interest, and her role was not pre-approved by the NRA board, as the organization’s policy requires. Additionally, Powell requested an NRA vendor to add his father to a rotation of paid photographers, resulting in more than $90,000 in compensation for his father, an expense which was completely passed through to the NRA.

John Frazer – Corporate Secretary and General Counsel

John Frazer was chosen by LaPierre to serve as general counsel and also served as corporate secretary at the NRA. Between 2014 and 2018, Frazer repeatedly failed to comply with board governance procedures, make necessary changes, or advise others that governance changes needed to be made; failed to ensure that financial transactions were being addressed by NRA officers and directors in accordance with law; failed to enforce compliance with the NRA’s conflict of interest policy; and failed to ensure that the NRA was in compliance with laws and policies governing whistleblowers. Additionally, Frazer repeatedly certified false or misleading annual statements.

Ackerman McQueen – NRA’s Public Relations and Advertising Firm

A practice decades-old between LaPierre and Ackerman McQueen’s co-founder — that would continue until the two companies severed ties in 2019 — ensured that Ackerman McQueen would pay for a variety of non-contractual, out-of-pocket expenses for LaPierre and other NRA executives and pass those expenses through to the NRA. The NRA leadership regularly used this pass-through arrangement — where expenses would be paid for by the NRA without written approvals, receipts, or supporting business purpose documentation — to conceal private travel and other costs that were largely personal in nature. Ackerman McQueen would aggregate the expenses into a lump sum amount and provide no details on the nature or purpose of the expenses when billing the NRA for them. The invoices only typically included a one-line description that read “out-of-pocket expenses” and included an invoice total amount. The expenses billed to the NRA for out-of-pocket expenses did not comply with IRS requirements, and, as a result, all such expenses should have been included by the NRA in taxable personal income for LaPierre and other recipients.

Ackerman McQueen was paid more than $70 million in just 2017 and 2018 for “public relations and advertising” services and for “out-of-pocket expenditures” that really went to entertainment and travel incurred by NRA executives and associates without scrutiny from within the organization, including millions for private planes, luxury hotels, memberships to private clubs, special events, fancy meals, and even personal hair and makeup services for LaPierre’s wife.

NRA Audit Committee’s Failure to Audit

Under New York law, the NRA’s audit committee is responsible for overseeing the accounting and financial reporting processes of the organization and the audit of its financial statements, but the culture of noncompliance and disregard for the internal controls is evident within the audit committee. The committee failed to serve as an independent check on LaPierre, his senior staff, and the NRA as a whole, and basically served as a rubber stamp for the organization’s illicit behavior, when it did review finances.

For example, the audit committee is charged with reviewing any contract that has the appearance of a conflict of interest, such as a contracts with insiders referred to as related-party transactions, and must not only perform certain considerations, but also document its deliberations. The committee routinely approved related-party transactions after LaPierre or senior staff entered into such agreements. In fact, in 2018, the audit committee approved seven related-party transactions after the fact, including a contract between the NRA’s then incoming president and Ackerman McQueen. At the time this contract was executed, the terms were known to LaPierre and Phillips, but the audit committee had no knowledge of it. Then, again in 2019 and 2020, the audit committee purportedly approved, retroactively, many other existing NRA contracts, some of which dated back 15 years.

The audit committee’s chair testified during a deposition with the OAG that he had no knowledge of New York law governing audit committees, whistleblowers, or conflicts of interest, and that he could not recall the last time he had seen the audit committee charter that specifically states the audit committee “overs[ees] the integrity of financial information” at the NRA. In fact, the committee chair testified that, in his view and contrary to the charter, the audit committee had no role in oversight of internal controls and that “there is no internal auditing” within the NRA and there hadn’t been one in the whole 19 years he served on the NRA board.

Unsurprisingly, during numerous occasions, the audit committee failed to respond adequately to whistleblowers, failed to appropriately review and approve related-party transactions and conflicts of interest, and failed to adequately oversee external auditors.

Extensive Violations of Fundamental Not-for-Profit Law

Attorney General James alleges in her complaint that the NRA violated multiple laws, including the laws governing the NRA’s charitable status, false reporting on annual filings with the IRS and with the OAG’s Charities Bureau, improper expense documentation, improper wage reporting, improper income tax withholding, failure to make required excise tax reporting and payments, payments in excess of reasonable compensation to disqualified persons, and waste of NRA assets; in direct violation of New York’s Estates, Powers & Trusts Laws; New York’s Not-for-Profit Corporation Law; the New York Prudent Management of Institutional Funds Act; and New York’s Executive Law. The illegal nature of the four individual defendants’ action also violated multiple rules of the NRA’s bylaws, the NRA’s employee handbook, and the NRA’s policy manual.

The failure of the NRA to comply with multiple fiduciary responsibilities and state and federal laws resulted in the NRA seeing substantial losses on its balance sheet: going from a surplus of $27,802,714 in 2015 to a net deficit of $36,276,779 in 2018 — contributing to a total loss of more than $64 million in just three years.

Proposed Resolution

As a result of all the allegations mentioned above, Attorney General James seeks to dissolve the NRA; asks the court to order LaPierre, Phillips, Powell, and Frazer to make full restitution for funds they unlawfully profited and salaries earned while employees; pay penalties; recover illegal and unauthorized payments to the four individuals; remove LaPierre and Frazer from the NRA’s leadership (Phillips and Powell are no longer employed by the NRA); and ensure none of the four individual defendants can ever again serve on the board of a charity in New York.

C'mon!

NY Times?!! I wouldn't believe one word that rag publishes!

This is nothing but a bunch of allegations from a hard core anti-2A and anti-NRA rag!

While I believe where's there's smoke there's fire there's NO WAY I'm gonna hang my hat on a NYT piece! They have proven to have abandoned journalism long ago and have their own set of issues.

If this is THE genesis of the NRA hate.... I go ahead and renew my membership...

glocktogo
01-19-21, 18:56
C'mon!

This is nothing but a bunch of allegations from a hard core anti-2A and anti-NRA rag!

While I believe where's there's smoke there's fire there's NO WAY I'm gonna hang my hat on a NYT piece! They have proven to have abandoned journalism long ago and have their own set of issues.

If this is THE genesis of the NRA hate.... I go ahead and renew my membership...

My disgust with the NRA “leadership” predates this by years.

Buncheong
01-19-21, 19:07
NO.

Absolutely not.

Mr McSimon
01-19-21, 19:07
C'mon!

You reject truth because of the teller? You don't know how to check a source? Give it a rest.

jsbhike
01-19-21, 19:12
C'mon!

Better to just use an NRA publication to show how screwed up they are.

https://www.oregonfirearms.org/pdfs/mccain.pdf

Feel free to look up all the subsequent endorsements for the focus of that article.

agr1279
01-19-21, 19:38
Wayne’s an ass and needs to leave. He’s done more damage to the NRA than any politician has. The latest attempt to oust him failed and Oliver North left early. The last time the NRA has called for money I told them no more till Wayne leaves. I do believe the lady on the phone has heard that before. She didn’t even attempt to get anymore.

They used to have good law enforcement training but they have pretty much lost that too.

That being said I shoot highpower competition and in that realm I’m pretty much stuck since the CMP sanctioned matches aren’t as wide spread.

I’m not sure what it would take to restructure the NRA but until Wayne and his compadres are gone it ain’t going to happen.

Dan

Ruark
01-19-21, 22:16
Got out when they pound you day and night for more money. Got old dodging phone calls and junk mail right after you just renewed your membership.

This drove me off, too - jeez, my emailbox almost exploded. Wayne needs to go, regardless of what he says or does. He has been so characterized by the media and the public, he has no credibility left. He has become sort of a cartoon character, to be laughed at on sight, before he even says a word. Even if he changes his attitude 180 degrees, it's too late: he's toast. The NRA can no longer afford for somebody like that to be the face of the organization. Pure and simple.
https://i.imgur.com/0LmqiP2.jpg

CRAMBONE
01-19-21, 23:27
I just want to know, when’s the auction for all the treasures at the National Firearm Museum?

Achilles11B
01-20-21, 06:52
My support will always be with the tireless 2A stalwarts that helped the SHARE Act get passed and that no anti-2A actions were taken during the Trump administration. The organization that fights to make sure the ATF knows their boundaries will always have my backing.

ChattanoogaPhil
01-20-21, 07:09
C'mon!

Sigh... you were the one who asked for a detail of alleged malfeasance. If ya didn't want to read it, you shouldn't have asked. NY Times? No. What you were reading was a press release from the NY AG's office, including a link to the lawsuit filed.

Would you prefer more general commentary from insiders at the NRA? I have some extra time this morning.

---------

Below, NRA Board member Allen West writes of the lies from NRA president Carolyn Meadows and VP Charles Cotton, the NRA Board cabal of cronyism, despicable spending, and that Wayne LaPierre must resign immediately.

"It has become very apparent that I need to speak out about what is happening at the National Rifle Association.

I am in my second term as a Board member, and I am deeply concerned about the actions and statements being made. The recent statements by Charles Cotton and Carolyn Meadows that are appearing in the Wall Street Journal, and now other news outlets, are outright lies. I have never been told, advised, informed or consulted about any of these details mentioned in the WSJ, and who knows how much more despicable spending of members’ money.

These statements have maliciously, recklessly and purposefully put me, and uninformed Board members, in legal jeopardy.

Prior to the NRAAM in Indianapolis I sent an email to Wayne LaPierre’s managing director, Millie Hallow, expressing my sentiment that Wayne LaPierre resign immediately.

I also drafted a memo entitled “Resolution of Concerns,” both of these statements are known to the NRA Board. It is imperative that the NRA cleans its own house. If we had done so in Indianapolis, much of this could have been rectified.

I do not support Wayne LaPierre continuing as the EVP/CEO of the NRA. The vote in Indianapolis was by acclamation, not roll call vote. There is a cabal of cronyism operating within the NRA and that exists within the Board of Directors. It must cease, and I do not care if I draw their angst. My duty and responsibility is to the Members of the National Rifle Association, and my oath, since July 31, 1982, has been to the Constitution of the United States, not to any political party, person, or cabal.

The NRA Board of 76 is too large and needs to be reduced to 30 or less. We need term limits of four (4) terms on the Board. We need to focus the NRA, the nation’s oldest civil rights organization on its original charter, mission, training and education in marksmanship, shooting sports, and the defense of the Second Amendment.

I will dedicate all my efforts to the reformation of the National Rifle Association and its members, of whom I am proud to serve.

It sickens me to publicly make this statement, but I will not allow anyone to damage my honor, integrity, character, and reputation. Needless to say, there are those who have willingly done so to their own."

Read more https://theoldschoolpatriot.com/statement-regarding-nra/

-----------------

Below is a resignation letter from three NRA board members writing that their confidence in NRA's leadership is shattered.

"Ladies and Gentlemen:

It is with profound disappointment that each of us hereby tenders our resignation from the Board of Directors of the National Rifle Association, effective immediately.

We proudly agreed to serve as board members of the NRA because of our steadfast belief in the Association’s core mission of protecting the Second Amendment and its leadership’s commitment to serving its members with honesty, integrity and transparency. While our belief in the NRA’s mission remains as strong today as ever, our confidence in the NRA’s leadership has been shattered.

As Board members, we are duty bound to act with care and in the best interests of the NRA and its mission. Proper discharge of that duty compels us to speak up and take action when we become aware of matters within the Association that run counter to its mission, governing principles, policies, or the law. Over the past several months, there have been numerous, highly-publicized allegations of impropriety leveled against the Association and certain members of its executive leadership team. In exercising our oversight responsibilities as Board Members, we have sought information and requested certain actions be taken with respect to these allegations, only to be rebuffed at every turn. We had expected – or at least hoped— that the executive leadership team would recognize the seriousness of these allegations and work with us in a constructive and transparent manner to address our concerns and minimize any further harm to the Association. Instead, we have been stonewalled, accused of disloyalty, stripped of committee assignments and denied effective counsel necessary to properly discharge our responsibilities as Board members.

As a result of the foregoing, we are left with no other choice but to resign as members of the Board of Directors. In doing so, however, we hope that our action will serve as a catalyst for much needed reform within the NRA so that it can return its focus to the mission which we remain unwaveringly committed -- protecting the Constitution of the United States and especially, the Second Amendment."

Sincerely,

Esther Schneider
Sean Maloney
Timothy Knight

----------

In addition to the lawsuit filed by the NY AG, Wayne is also embroiled in lawsuits with former NRA president Oliver North, NRA mega-donor Dell’Aquila, and 30-year business partner Ackerman McQueen. Lawsuits are expensive. I'm sure Wayne will appreciate your membership renewal dues.

Ned Christiansen
01-20-21, 09:38
Those resignations are telling, do you know the date of that?

While I do and will continue to support the NRA I am not supporting WLP. In fact for about a year after the NRA AM in Indy I told them every time they called, "no more money until I see this addressed." It has been mentioned in the magazine tangentially, not really to my satisfaction, but I felt the big picture view meant I should resume support. WLP does not mean the whole of NRA is rotten and getting nothing done, any more than a bad US administration means that every American is a corrupt, hidden agenda-promoting liar.

Conventional wisdom, common sense and my personal life experiences tell me that when someone is suspected of something and won't answer to the allegations, when they don't care enough to even try to dispel the appearance of wrongdoing, when they say, if anything, "don't worry about it, there's nothing here, we have it under control", then..... then you know, there's a good chance there's something to it. Most people will jump at the chance to prove "I didn't do that". I do find it cause for redoubling suspicions when they just don't care. We see this in our own government constantly. It doesn't mean we are all bad people.

So, I am not a fan of WLP but I am redoubling my support for NRA because I don't want to hand the left that victory.

ChattanoogaPhil
01-20-21, 10:01
Those resignations are telling, do you know the date of that?

Aug 2019. https://www.buckeyefirearms.org/alert-3-nra-board-members-resign

Ned Christiansen
01-20-21, 10:05
Thank you.

kerplode
01-20-21, 19:15
In honor of this thread, as well as a similar one over at Cast Boomers, I just donated $100 to GOA. Suck it Wayne!

Ned Christiansen
01-23-21, 21:39
I salute you sir! :-)

If WLP acting wrong puts money anywhere in the sphere of gun-lobby funding, I'm for it!

OK, there's $350 claimed sofar. let's make it a drive. YOU KNOW you're not buying ammo at these prices..... spend some of that money on preserving your gun rights wherever you see fit!

fred
01-23-21, 22:16
Has GOA done anything lately? The only successes I hear about are from FPC and SAF. They get my money from now on, along with with AZ CDL. The argument for continuing to support NRA is a sound one, but I'm done with them.

morbidbattlecry
01-23-21, 22:21
Has GOA done anything lately? The only successes I hear about are from FPC and SAF. They get my money from now on, along with with AZ CDL. The argument for continuing to support NRA is a sound one, but I'm done with them.

I'm not aware of anything they have done besides beg for money as bad as the NRA does.

ChattanoogaPhil
01-24-21, 07:50

December 9th, 2020

For immediate release

Philadelphia Reissues Carry Permits after GOA Legal Victory

Springfield, VA – Due to the legal action supported by Gun Owners of America (GOA), the Philadelphia Police Department Gun Permit Unit (GPU) began accepting applications for a license to carry firearms (LTCF) via electronic mail as of Monday, December 7, 2020.

GOA was the first gun rights organization to file suit against the City of Philadelphia for excessive delays in issuing LTCFs in the wake of the COVID crisis. Gun Owners of America, Inc., et. al. vs. City of Philadelphia and Commissioner Danielle M. Outlaw was filed on October 5, 2020. The lawsuit sought to force the City to accept and process LTCF applications within the specified time required by law. Additionally, our motion for peremptory judgment gave the City the option to accept applications via alternative means, like other counties are doing across Pennsylvania.

Almost immediately, the GPU responded by putting on a second shift of detectives who began taking applications five days per week in order to speed up processing.

However, on November 18, 2020 the City of Philadelphia closed the GPU. Upon request from GOA attorney Andrew Austin, the City Solicitor informed the Court of Common Pleas of the reason for the closure and that they would be reopening the GPU on December 7, 2020. When the GPU could not physically reopen, they shifted to taking applications via email which is consistent with the relief sought by GOA in the motion for peremptory judgment.

“While it was unfortunate for the officers, the COVID exposure was proof-positive that the City’s system did not work,” said Andrew Austin, attorney for GOA and the ten plaintiffs suing the City. “The City represented to the Court that the unit would reopen on December 7th, and when they couldn’t do so, they had no other choice but to concede and begin accepting applications by alternate means.”

“I’m also pleased that the GPU is beginning to accept LTCF applications again,” said Dr. Val Finnell, Pennsylvania Director for GOA. “We are reminding applicants that the GPU has 45 days to issue their LTCF. If not, I’ve asked them to contact us if they experience delays.”

Other gun rights organizations also sued the City of Philadelphia. On November 20, 2020, the Firearms Policy Coalition (FPC) sued the City in Federal Court taking a constitutional approach. The joint threat of GOA’s mandamus and FPC’s preliminary injunction guaranteed that the City was going to lose sooner or later.

Andrew Austin, Esq., Dr. Val Finnell, or another GOA spokesperson, is available for interviews. Gun Owners of America is a nonprofit grassroots lobbying organization dedicated to protecting the right to keep and bear arms without compromise. GOA represents over two million members and activists. For more information, visit GOA’s Press Center.

— GOA —

https://gunowners.org

------------------------

AndyLate
01-24-21, 08:55
The NRA's value is that it is a huge organization that the antis regard as the boogieman. We need that single front if we to survive, otherwise we become like the Jewish freedom fighters in Life of Brian.

jsbhike
01-24-21, 09:14
The NRA's value is that it is a huge organization that the antis regard as the boogieman. We need that single front if we to survive, otherwise we become like the Jewish freedom fighters in Life if Brian.

The MSM and other anti 2nd Amendment groups have undoubtedly loved the millions of dollars donated to 2nd Amendment defense that flowed in to suits, cats, travel, anti 2nd Amendment actions, and everywhere else that wasn't being used for 2nd Amendment defense.

The Brer Rabbit disinformation campaign.

HKGuns
01-24-21, 09:33
Don't cry about your 2nd amendment rights if you don't support the NRA and other organizations. This mentality really pisses me off. No political candidate, or organization is going to score 100% on your personal scale of worthiness.

This mentality is EXACTLY why we are where we find ourselves now.

Half you people don't deserve what few rights you have left.

But Wayne...........WAAAAAAH But they didn't.........WAAAAAAAAAH

Its all bullshit.

AndyLate
01-24-21, 09:34
The MSM and other anti 2nd Amendment groups have undoubtedly loved the millions of dollars donated to 2nd Amendment defense that flowed in to suits, cats, travel, anti 2nd Amendment actions, and everywhere else that wasn't being used for 2nd Amendment defense.

The Brer Rabbit disinformation campaign.

I should have made it clear that I am not wedded to the NRA. I am saying we need to minimize the fragmenting of our resources when we choose a successor to take up the legal fight.

The NRA can stick around and do what it is good at - shooting programs, education, and magazines.

Andy

utahjeepr
01-24-21, 12:42
I got the "offer extended" letter from the NRA uring me to upgrade. I guess I was mistaken. I am at patron. I have a history of sending money irregularly and upgrading every few years. I'm really disappointed with the NRA of late though. Can't help but figure Pepe LePew is just gonna use my money on blow, hookers, or new silk boxers.

You do know the whole move to Texas thing is only to take any pressure off of Pepe right?

utahjeepr
01-24-21, 12:51
I salute you sir! :-)

If WLP acting wrong puts money anywhere in the sphere of gun-lobby funding, I'm for it!

OK, there's $350 claimed sofar. let's make it a drive. YOU KNOW you're not buying ammo at these prices..... spend some of that money on preserving your gun rights wherever you see fit!

Gave $150 to SAF (pg. 2). So there's a total of $500 to the cause. Not bad for a GD thread.

Diamondback
01-24-21, 13:06
Gave $150 to SAF (pg. 2). So there's a total of $500 to the cause. Not bad for a GD thread.

I took out a SAF Life Membership instead of upgrading NRA. That's another $150. If I can make the accounting work on $50/month for GOA Life that'll be another grand.

$650 running total

Voodoochild
01-24-21, 13:14
Probably been beat to death but I would rather send money to SAF and FPC. At least they go to court and fight the good fight. Where as the NRA just wastes your money on Wayne's slush fund.

ChattanoogaPhil
01-24-21, 15:26
Thank you.

Welcome.

Joshua Powell, Former NRA Chief of Staff and Executive Director of General Operations, who is also a defendant in the New York lawsuit, authored Inside the NRA: A Tell-All Account of Corruption, Greed, and Paranoia within the Most Powerful Political Group in America. Came out Sept 2020.

I haven't read the book but Powell has done several interviews that have a similar tone to the below quotes from an ABC interview. Of course Powell has his own legal troubles, was fired from the NRA and is a semi-FUDD. So... grain of salt and all that.

---------

"Gun owners across America," Powell said, "should be horrified by what I saw inside of the NRA."

"In spite of Wayne's attempts to paint the other side as the 'Elites,' he himself was the epitome of elitism," Powell writes, "robbing every $45-dues-paying member to cover the costs of his own extravagance and his shameful mismanagement of a multi-hundred-million-dollar association."

"The NRA is an absolutely horrible steward of members' money," Powell said. "Nobody puts their money into that association to see it mismanaged the way that it was. It is an abomination."

---------

https://i.imgur.com/hW5VjoL.jpg

Diamondback
01-24-21, 15:54
What I expect is Powell will either be dropped as a defendant in favor of "Cooperating Witness" status or will get a sweetheart Plea Bargain to spill his guts.

OH58D
01-24-21, 16:47
So the NRA is moving to Texas? I've been to their place along I-66 in Virginia, so I wonder where in Texas they'd go to? Texas might be too low rent and too far away from the power elites for these D.C. dandies.

Wayne may not be able to handle rubbing shoulders with Lone Star State rubes in cowboy hats, manure covered boots, welder caps, bib overalls and Carhartt jackets. They'll set up somewhere close to a Gucci Store and Zegna luxury suit purveyor, when their offices need to be in a strip mall with a Wienerschnitzel on the corner.

Diamondback
01-24-21, 17:28
So the NRA is moving to Texas? I've been to their place along I-66 in Virginia, so I wonder where in Texas they'd go to? Texas might be too low rent and too far away from the power elites for these D.C. dandies.

Wayne may not be able to handle rubbing shoulders with Lone Star State rubes in cowboy hats, manure covered boots, welder caps, bib overalls and Carhartt jackets. They'll set up somewhere close to a Gucci Store and Zegna luxury suit purveyor, when their offices need to be in a strip mall with a Wienerschnitzel on the corner.

Doesn't mean they have to move HQ, just their place of incorporation. For example, Boeing was founded in Seattle but IIRC was incorporated in Delaware despite having no commercial ties there.

utahjeepr
01-24-21, 17:32
HQ is still gonna be in VA. As I understand it all that us really moving is the "legal entity". So instead of a NY based non profit with a NY p.o. box and bank account they will be a TX based non profit with a TX p.o. box and bank account.

It's all about getting the money out of the jurisdiction of the NY attorney general who is going after the NRA over Pepe LePew's corruption.

OH58D
01-24-21, 18:05
Doesn't mean they have to move HQ, just their place of incorporation. For example, Boeing was founded in Seattle but IIRC was incorporated in Delaware despite having no commercial ties there.

I would prefer they move it all, lock, stock and barrel so to speak, and get away from the D.C. area. Give 'em a chance to interact with regular citizens.

ChattanoogaPhil
01-24-21, 18:14
Wayne says headquarters will remain in the anti-gun liberal bubble just outside of DC. NRA no longer has influence in Washington so location would seem unimportant in that respect. IIRC, NRA had a line of credit against the building to help offset falling membership revenues and spending hundred of millions fighting lawsuits. Not sure how the NY bankruptcy would affect VA properties. Wayne says the NRA is in wonderful financial condition... best in years. Apparently, all is well unless you ask the laid off employees and those remaining having their salaries and benefits cut.

jsbhike
01-24-21, 20:10

I met Larry Pratt at Knob Creek a few times years back so it was either cold/wet, hot/wet, or hot/dry/dusty. Pratt was there hanging out with all of us unwashed masses which I was sure wouldn't have happened with Wayne and that was years before the suit shopping news.

Twilk73
01-24-21, 21:30
I haven't donates to the nra I was hoping Wayne got out first. I've been donating to the ASA, FPC and the GOA. I don't think I renewed the ASA membership I can't recall. I'd love to see the nra get strong again or anyone of the other orgs get big. It's good for the nra to have competition. It should help them grow as a leader or fail and pave the way for another group.

I joined the fpc because they where fighting here in pa for something. I joined the Goa when they backed Kyle Rittenhouse. Both times the nra seemed quite. Which I found odd because I always get emails from them.

Averageman
01-25-21, 03:20
Giving up the list was the breaking point for me.
Last Straw..

fred
01-25-21, 23:23
Thanks to the guys who pointed out some GOA success.

Thanks to the guy who remarked half of us don't deserve the rights we have left.

utahjeepr
02-05-21, 11:37
Because I respect the opinions of some of those who said keep up with the NRA, especially Ned. I went ahead and upgraded to benefactor life.

Also wanted to make sure this thread got back up to the top to keep nudging donation for the cause in general.

I think that brings the threads running tote board to $1050.

I also paid a 5 year sponsorship to the board, but that doesn't really count. That is more like a porn subscription. ;)