PDA

View Full Version : Splitting Washington State into two states?

Slater
01-19-21, 10:55
Call me skeptical. How do our Washington brethren feel about this?

"OLYMPIA -- Two lawmakers in Olympia have introduced a new bill that would create the 51st state by splitting Washington into two separate states along the the Cascade Mountains.

House Bill 1239 would create this new state called Liberty. The borders of the 51st state would follow the crest of the Cascade mountains and the western borders of Okanogan, Chelan, Kittitas, Yakima, and Klickitat counties. The eastern, northern, and southern borders of Liberty are the existing state borders."

https://komonews.com/news-brief-newsletter/new-bill-would-split-washington-into-two-states-creating-51st-state-called-liberty

chuckman
01-19-21, 11:02
I am not a Washingtonian, but don't they introduce this every couple years? I have seen similar with Cali and Florida. NY could stand to do it, too. More evidence for Balkanization of the US.

georgeib
01-19-21, 11:03
Generally leftists push adding states so they can gain a majority in the senate, so I'm skeptical of any such attempts.

WickedWillis
01-19-21, 11:12
This gets talked about every election. I'm in Northern Idaho, and Eastern Washington does have far more in common with Idaho politically than the Seattle hivemind. Every election though it's usually a conversation about reforming northeastern Oregon, eastern Washington, and central and Northern Idaho into the Liberty superstate. I'm not sure there will ever be enough solid Conservative leadership to make it happen.

Dr. Bullseye
01-19-21, 11:23
I am for this. I might even move to Liberty.

MikhailBarracuda91
01-19-21, 13:08
This gets talked about every election. I'm in Northern Idaho, and Eastern Washington does have far more in common with Idaho politically than the Seattle hivemind. Every election though it's usually a conversation about reforming northeastern Oregon, eastern Washington, and central and Northern Idaho into the Liberty superstate. I'm not sure there will ever be enough solid Conservative leadership to make it happen.It's funny because Idahoans treat Boise like they're a liberal cesspool. When my fiance and I go out there, Boise is 100 times more conservative than Pittsburgh PA.

I love the scenery and the patriotism out there

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

titsonritz
01-19-21, 13:45
I'm sure the movement will be as successful as the State of Jefferson.

223to45
01-19-21, 13:51
I dont know why they waste time with this stuff.

It wont even get a floor vote at the state level.

No way Congress would approve it.

Grand58742
01-19-21, 13:51
This gets talked about every election. I'm in Northern Idaho, and Eastern Washington does have far more in common with Idaho politically than the Seattle hivemind. Every election though it's usually a conversation about reforming northeastern Oregon, eastern Washington, and central and Northern Idaho into the Liberty superstate. I'm not sure there will ever be enough solid Conservative leadership to make it happen.

There's also a movement in Southern Oregon and North Cali for the same thing. State of Jefferson

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jefferson_(proposed_Pacific_state)

Renegade
01-19-21, 14:15

titsonritz
01-19-21, 14:36
There's also a movement in Southern Oregon and North Cali for the same thing. State of Jefferson

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jefferson_(proposed_Pacific_state)

Been going on since '41. I'd love to see it happen, but as I mentioned above, I'm not holding my breath.

https://www.ohs.org/research-and-library/oregon-historical-quarterly/back-issues/upload/LaLande_State-of-Jefferson_Spring-2017_OHQ-118_1.pdf

https://www.hcn.org/issues/50.1/communities-rural-discontent-finds-a-home-in-the-state-of-jefferson

SteyrAUG
01-19-21, 19:29
This would be just as stupid and unacceptable if there was such a powerful KKK presence in Texas that they wanted to split that state into two for political reasons. Their extremist political views and racism are no more acceptable than anyone else's extremist politics or racism.

Diamondback
01-19-21, 23:29
I'm all FOR a split... draw the line at the Seattle shitty-limits. Cut that tumor out and instant Purple State.

ViniVidivici
01-19-21, 23:55
I dont know why they waste time with this stuff.

It wont even get a floor vote at the state level.

No way Congress would approve it.

Hey man, the way it's been in our state lately, the MOAR time those nincompoops waste with crap that'll go nowhere, the less time they have to **** us over, and they are trying BIG time this session, worst than last.

All of us normal in WA would love to see it, but it's been talked about for years, and will never go anywhere.

Diamondback
01-20-21, 00:24
Hey man, the way it's been in our state lately, the MOAR time those nincompoops waste with crap that'll go nowhere, the less time they have to **** us over, and they are trying BIG time this session, worst than last.

All of us normal in WA would love to see it, but it's been talked about for years, and will never go anywhere.

About like wanting to see Seattle get SMOD'ed off the map.

ThirdWatcher
01-20-21, 04:52
Even if it happened, the Commies would buy up all the property just to get two more Senators and a few more Congressmen.

rjacobs
01-20-21, 06:20
At least here in Texas we just want to remove the whole state from the rest of the country...

We could also give about 50-75 miles along the Mexican border BACK to Mexico... See how all them blue counties along the boarder like being part of Mexico again... Maybe give it back to Mexico on the 5 year plan...they get it for 5 years then we will take it back.

Hank6046
01-20-21, 07:38
This has been tried before.
www.greateridaho.org/
www.cnn.com/2018/07/18/us/california-three-states-initiative-court/index.html

Pacific5th
01-20-21, 11:33
This gets talked about every year or so. It’s not gonna happen. Also the fact that not a single county in this new state puts in more in taxes then takes. Also give it a few years and the new state would bitch about Spokane/Pullman running the state with there votes. Spokane and Whitman county have voted in favor of all our stupid gun initiatives put forth over the last decade. I think we would have better luck getting Eastern Wa and Eastern Oregon added to Idaho.

Diamondback
01-20-21, 11:48
True... what we need is more like a State Electoral College and Senators allocated by County.

Dr. Bullseye
01-20-21, 12:36
The communists are going to have to make some sort of accommodation. In the Western United States the Left controls the big cities and suburbs along the coast to about 50 miles inland. From that point East it is solid Red State no matter what state you are actually in. For the commies, this is heaven since they can impose their social values (or lack thereof) on us and then turn around and make us pay for it. So we get special fire taxes and gas taxes which go to support illegal aliens, drug bums, and schools for communists. Meanwhile, we get endless highway projects employing their unemployable people, patching cracks in the highway, putting up orange cones and restricting traffic flow to one lane.

ThirdWatcher
01-20-21, 18:47
Yet Washington has the third highest gas prices and is the third worst to drive in. The Legislature is constantly trying to think of new ways to shaft a dwindling working class.

Whalstib
01-20-21, 19:06
Already has an state anthem!

Best of latter day Dead tunes!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ngwJ4lu9R8

223to45
01-20-21, 20:23
Yet Washington has the third highest gas prices and is the third worst to drive in. The Legislature is constantly trying to think of new ways to shaft a dwindling working class.And has introduced a Bill to Raise the gas tax another $0.18

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

JoshNC
01-20-21, 20:42
True... what we need is more like a State Electoral College and Senators allocated by County.

It’s what all 50 states need.

ThirdWatcher
01-20-21, 22:37
And has introduced a Bill to Raise the gas tax another $0.18.

It’ll happen with little resistance. Why not be the worst state in the Union?

ViniVidivici
01-21-21, 21:20
I have been saying for years states need electoral colleges. That alone would keep WA closer to red.

ThirdWatcher
01-22-21, 05:38
I have been saying for years states need electoral colleges. That alone would keep WA closer to red.

I agree, a perfect example of why we have to resist the elimination of the Electoral College in Presidential elections.

01-22-21, 11:24
Whether you are for or against the electoral college, desired outcome of elections seems like a bad reason.

Diamondback
01-22-21, 14:09
Whether you are for or against the electoral college, desired outcome of elections seems like a bad reason.
It's not so much "party victory" as the principle of "protecting the minority's rights" rather than "pure mob-rule of a slim majority running roughshod over everybody."

ThirdWatcher
01-22-21, 22:36
It's not so much "party victory" as the principle of "protecting the minority's rights" rather than "pure mob-rule of a slim majority running roughshod over everybody."

Exactly. My vote is usually in the minority in State & Federal elections. I wouldn’t bother to vote at all if it weren’t for local elections (like Fire levies which I always vote for, every vote counts in those).

gunrunner505
01-24-21, 19:13
Just give the liberals their own state. Pick one, let’s just say in this example Washington state. It’s all yours. Do as you will. Put up border checkpoints, no one leaves. It’ll be Lord of the Flies in a couple months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steve Shannon
01-24-21, 22:58
Just give the liberals their own state. Pick one, let’s just say in this example Washington state. It’s all yours. Do as you will. Put up border checkpoints, no one leaves. It’ll be Lord of the Flies in a couple months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They already have several.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ThirdWatcher
01-25-21, 20:46
They want them all and they’re making good progress.