PDA

View Full Version : ? Dark Storm AR's

platoonDaddy
01-22-21, 08:25
Fellow LEO in friends precinct bought one, only because it was the only AR available in his AO.

Anyone have experience with Dark Storm AR's?

The_War_Wagon
01-22-21, 10:30
From their webpage (https://www.dark-storm.com/)

https://www.dark-storm.com/images/promo/11/V1-Home-Page-web.jpg

7075 Billet is interesting. NATO-spec is hard chrome, NOT, "nitride" still, no? Compensator looks like something from POF. And what replaced the "roll pins?"

They seem to specialize in ban-state guns, which is good for ban state residents, I reckon. More power to 'em.

utahjeepr
01-22-21, 15:00
Ok, I don't want to bash on them just because they are an unknown. I don't know anything good or bad about them.

I'm simply gonna put out there that an unknown entity, that appears to market primarily to "ban states" where competition is limited, is breaking out at the height of a panic buy situation, and can get parts to build with when known quality manufacturers are struggling to make/source parts in sufficient quantity... in gonna pass. Perhaps that is completely unfair of me to say. If I were your friend I would look that rifle over very carefully and inspect it regularly.

WickedWillis
01-22-21, 16:04
From their webpage (https://www.dark-storm.com/)

https://www.dark-storm.com/images/promo/11/V1-Home-Page-web.jpg

7075 Billet is interesting. NATO-spec is hard chrome, NOT, "nitride" still, no? Compensator looks like something from POF. And what replaced the "roll pins?"

They seem to specialize in ban-state guns, which is good for ban state residents, I reckon. More power to 'em.

Looks like burnt fingers soon.

Dr. Bullseye
01-22-21, 23:51
Any marketing guy would tell you a new AR model should be named "Dark Winter" in honor of the Usurper.

titsonritz
01-23-21, 00:26
And what replaced the "roll pins?"

Probably things like an integral trigger guard and screw for the bolt catch like Aero and some others do.

titsonritz
01-23-21, 00:36
Yep from their web page...

Allen screw bolt catch pin
Allen screw forward assist pin

The gas block still does (so I guess they're liars :D)
https://www.dark-storm.com/parts/barrels/gas-blocks/dsi-micro-gas-block-steel-.750/

I bet the CH and ejector does too.

bamashooter
01-23-21, 07:05
"Other" opinions.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/Dark-Storm-AR-s/118-754247/

ViperTwoSix
01-23-21, 09:09
I’ve been seeing lots of “new” questionable brands lately. Here is another:

https://www.durkintactical.com/product/16-ar-15-premium-build-kit/

Keep in mind “new” and “questionable” doesn’t always equal poor quality (although a lot of times it does). Everyone was new at some point. Other time, we companies splinter off from existing well-known and trusted brands. One example of such would be Dark Hour Defense, which is a splinter company of V Seven.

The_War_Wagon
01-23-21, 09:16
"Other" opinions.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/Dark-Storm-AR-s/118-754247/

And hence the reason I don't belong to TOS. I'll PRESUME there's a thread in that morass... somewhere... regarding DarkStorm... but hell if I can find it!

ViperTwoSix
01-23-21, 09:21
And hence the reason I don't belong to TOS. I'll PRESUME there's a thread in that morass... somewhere... regarding DarkStorm... but hell if I can find it!

It’s probably because TOS was kicked off their server for “inciting violence” or some garbage like that, so there is no direct access to any of their archived threads. Any link to any archived thread takes non-members to the general home page. It does the same thing if you click a link to them from a google search.

mpom
01-23-21, 10:39
Checked on only 2 of their 556 rifles, both have 1:9 barrel twist. Odd.

Mark

NWcityguy2
01-23-21, 12:52
They show a 3-6 month lead time for lots of rifles and parts, and probably are subject to the same supply constraints of other AR makers that don't manufacture their own parts. So it seems like the lead time isn't so much a few months as it is whenever another company supplies the parts. With that said...

A 1:9 barrel would work at any competitions (3gun) I shoot at. I've yet to see testing that shows 9310 is a plus or minus compared to C158. Nitride barrels are what I choose over chrome lined already. If I had to buy an AR right now, and they were actually in stock, one of their base models would be something to consider. IDK if I'd commit to a long wait without at looking at other options though.

DG23
01-23-21, 13:06
Checked on only 2 of their 556 rifles, both have 1:9 barrel twist. Odd.

Mark

My Colt 6721 HBAR is a 1/9 twist and pretty damn nice... I paid extra for that! :)

Swstock
01-23-21, 13:24
Look them up on local firearms forums to see what people think. Longislandgunclub.com is good for opinions on them. They are mostly referred to as just DSI.

DG23
01-23-21, 13:25
Fellow LEO in friends precinct bought one, only because it was the only AR available in his AO.

Anyone have experience with Dark Storm AR's?

Unwise way to go about buying a firearm.

"Lets see, That is the only thing available in town. Sure, I'll take one!"

No. Just no... Not wise.

NWcityguy2
01-23-21, 13:51
Unwise way to go about buying a firearm.

"Lets see, That is the only thing available in town. Sure, I'll take one!"

No. Just no... Not wise.

I'll make sure to avoid BCM if I can't find a second option available to decide between.

utahjeepr
01-23-21, 15:20
I'll make sure to avoid BCM if I can't find a second option available to decide between.

I was actually in a store recently that had quite a few assembled lowers. BCM and KE with the KE at about $20 less. Guess which ones were going faster.

Yep, for ~$20 BCM'so were sitting while KE was walking out. I don't know KE, they were forged and looked ok.

I was out of state, or I might have grabbed one (BCM flavor). I can't recall the price. They were high, but not rapey high. I picked up some parts at reasonable for now prices.

DG23
01-23-21, 16:13

There is usually a reason (or three) that she was the LAST girl left in the bar that night...

:)

Or she could have left a few times already only to be brought back in a hurry cause stuff was not right. LOL! :)

utahjeepr
01-23-21, 16:15
There is usually a reason (or three) that she was the LAST girl left in the bar that night...

:)

Or she could have left a few times already only to be brought back in a hurry cause stuff was not right. LOL! :)

Maybe she just wasn't shot out yet!

ScottsBad
01-23-21, 16:23
Ok, I don't want to bash on them just because they are an unknown. I don't know anything good or bad about them.

I'm simply gonna put out there that an unknown entity, that appears to market primarily to "ban states" where competition is limited, is breaking out at the height of a panic buy situation, and can get parts to build with when known quality manufacturers are struggling to make/source parts in sufficient quantity... in gonna pass. Perhaps that is completely unfair of me to say. If I were your friend I would look that rifle over very carefully and inspect it regularly.

I'm a Commiefornia resident. Competition is NOT limited. Most manufacturers make a CA legal version, and beyond that I'd say the majority of us buy whatever upper we want, from whatever vendor, and we buy a stripped low which we assemble ourselves.

It sucks and we have to use a weird grip, but its really not that hard to acquire an AR. The problem we have is pretty close to the same problem everyone has, lack of inventory of the best ARs and uppers. BCM, DD, LMT, etc. are not available.

It's not really a problem for me, I have a bunch of ARs and ammo, but it sucks for people who waited too long to buy. I'm putting one together for a very close friend, but obtaining good parts is a problem. I have lots of redundant parts so I'm going to give him some stuff out of my parts inventory to finish his rifle. I've got some extra BCGs for instance.

Hank6046
01-26-21, 15:01
Handguard and lower look to be White Label Armory. I'm guessing most of their parts are.

Eurodriver
01-26-21, 15:52
Haven’t bought an AR in years.

I’m surprised there’s still such a lack of inventory. I really wanted to get another DD or KAC SBR.

Shame.