PDA

View Full Version : Musk proposes tunnels in Miami.

utahjeepr
01-22-21, 15:49
OK, It been a while since I've spent time in Florida. Isn't the water table below ground level measured in fractions of an inch?

https://www.foxbusiness.com/economy/miami-mayor-says-elon-musks-boring-company-transportation-tunnel-proposal&ved=2ahUKEwjywaC1wbDuAhVgFjQIHTGSAk4QFjAGegQIFRAB&usg=AOvVaw32AKVuhzVrAYcPBaF4lwJe

Averageman
01-22-21, 17:59
constant bilge?

gaijin
01-22-21, 18:22
The “Chunnel” from France to the UK is beneath the English Channel.
It could certainly be done.

SteyrAUG
01-22-21, 18:38
So Miami will have a subway system. Can't wait to never use it.

kerplode
01-22-21, 19:39
Musk doesn't let little trifles such as this stand in the way of his vision...He'll just beat on his engineers until they figure it out.

utahjeepr
01-22-21, 22:36
The “Chunnel” from France to the UK is beneath the English Channel.
It could certainly be done.

Damn near anything can be done. Don't mean it's a good idea. Underwater tunnel sections like in NYC and other areas are one thing. The chunnel was bored through bedrock with tbms. Florida is made up of a couple hundred feet of porous limestone. Saturated and occasionally unstable. I just build stuff, I ain't an engineer. But this seems like a big bite to chew.

SteyrAUG
01-22-21, 22:58
Damn near anything can be done. Don't mean it's a good idea. Underwater tunnel sections like in NYC and other areas are one thing. The chunnel was bored through bedrock with tbms. Florida is made up of a couple hundred feet of porous limestone. Saturated and occasionally unstable. I just build stuff, I ain't an engineer. But this seems like a big bite to chew.

Yep, I think it's the sinkhole capitol of the US. And that's from ordinary water erosion under the limestone. Now add all the challenges of the NYC subway and all the water issues of New Orleans and then factor in the fact that Miami can be an extremely violent place and you end up with someplace I'd never want to be.

Diamondback
01-22-21, 23:46
IIRC, to get a safe tunnel network under their parks Disney had to build the tunnels as a building on original ground level, then build up the ground to cover that and build the parks on the new grade.

Tunneling sinkhole-prone limestone is ASKING for trouble.

sjc3081
01-23-21, 04:29
Can I put things in perspective. Musk has done the impossible many times.

GH41
01-23-21, 09:07
Tunnel... Talk about a good place to setup a death trap!! Not me. I don't even like to get in elevators.

ABNAK
01-23-21, 20:22
Yep, I think it's the sinkhole capitol of the US. And that's from ordinary water erosion under the limestone. Now add all the challenges of the NYC subway and all the water issues of New Orleans and then factor in the fact that Miami can be an extremely violent place and you end up with someplace I'd never want to be.

IIRC Tennessee wears that crown, believe it or not.

Averageman
01-23-21, 23:10
Can you imagine the Albino Alligator and Boa Stories?

Honu
01-24-21, 00:01
he will do it with your money and he will never give it back

I have to ask where would it be and why ? only been to Miami a couple times but do they need it ?